University of Maryland vs.GW medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kshaya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be accepted to both University of Maryland and GW Med Schools! I am a Virginia/DC Resident, so I would have to pay OOS at Maryland for at least the first year but could then potentially get in state status after that first year. What are your opinions on the two schools and why would you choose one over the other? Any blaring discrepancies between their residency matching that you know of? Thanks for the help!!:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you could get instate residency after a year it's worth it. GW is nothing special and was put on probation a couple years ago.

If you could get instate residency after a year it's worth it. GW is nothing special and was put on probation a couple years ago.

I wouldn't worry about the probation thing.

But GW is A LOT of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry about the probation thing.

But GW is A LOT of money.

Being on probation in itself is not what I'd be concerned about, however it suggest that perhaps the quality of the program leaves something to be desired. Personally, I don't think GW is worth the money over Maryland unless you REALLY hated Maryland.

I have a choice between Maryland and another school (similar ranking/etc. to GW). PM me if you want to talk about Maryland a little since I've been weighing pros and cons too!
Congrats!!!

Cant say much for GW, other than it's expensive and they have those track programs that may by interesting.

Here's my take on Maryland...I feel like it's a school on the rise with plentiful research opportunities and really nice/new facilities. It's in what seems like a better part of Baltimore and the cost of living is probably less than DC. Block schedule and you only have 2 hours of lecture plus 2 hours of lab or small group per day with ICM once a week (correct me if I'm wrong about that). My only reservation about the school is ABCDF grading.

I'm still deciding between a few programs but I will most likely choose Maryland, barring any large financial incentives from other programs.

Thanks for the responses and the feedback. Although GW is expensive and money is always an issue when it comes to medical school, I don't want it to be the deciding factor at the end of the day. I do agree that the probationary period raises some eyebrows, but from I've been told by students I know there, it's a problem that's been resolved. I do like UMD's scheduling and the fact that it's definitely a school on the rise. Like "Carbon Inc" I do also have reservations about the ABCDF grading as well as the question of whether or not 2 lecture hrs per day really forces a lot of the material to be self-taught or not? Thanks again for all the help and good luck/congrats to everyone!

I visited Maryland a few days ago to do my own "second look." I asked the students about the grading system and they said the averages on the exams are always in the mid-80s range, so its definitely possible to walk out with As and Bs on exams. Med schools with P/F still rank anyway, so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The students said for exams they just study the notes that the professors give them so it doesn't seem as if they have to self-teach themselves a lot. However, I don't like that they don't have a systems based curriculum and that they start with anatomy (most schools that I've interviewed at start with a less intense subject to try to ease you into med school. this probably isn't something to be worried about, but the students I talked to didn't seem to like starting with anatomy).

Reactions: 1 user
did your second look help you make your decision?

did your second look help you make your decision?

It was definitely really helpful. I got to learn about the school a lot more and talking with the students was great, I'd recommend you to go for a second look

I visited Maryland a few days ago to do my own "second look." I asked the students about the grading system and they said the averages on the exams are always in the mid-80s range, so its definitely possible to walk out with As and Bs on exams. Med schools with P/F still rank anyway, so at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. The students said for exams they just study the notes that the professors give them so it doesn't seem as if they have to self-teach themselves a lot. However, I don't like that they don't have a systems based curriculum and that they start with anatomy (most schools that I've interviewed at start with a less intense subject to try to ease you into med school. this probably isn't something to be worried about, but the students I talked to didn't seem to like starting with anatomy).

There's no easing into med school. sorry, you're going to have to get used to it sooner or later. It's fine if u didn't like maryland, but starting with anatomy just reads as a rather odd concern.

Maryland starts with a block that integrates anatomy, histology and embryology. other schools start with multiple classes at the same time: anatomy, biochem :)sleep:) etc. So some days are harder than others, but you get better at it.

Why do u dislike system based?

Last edited:
There's no easing into med school. sorry, you're going to have to get used to it sooner or later. It's fine if u didn't like maryland, but starting with anatomy just reads as a rather odd concern.

Maryland starts with a block that integrates anatomy, histology and embryology. other schools start with multiple classes at the same time: anatomy, biochem :)sleep:) etc. So some days are harder than others, but you get better at it.

Why do u dislike system based?

I like system based, but the students said that it isn't systems based. This is the information that was given to me by a group of first year students. I also said that starting with anatomy probably isn't something to be worried about, but students told me that they didn't like starting with anatomy. Other schools I looked at explain that the main reason they don't start with anatomy is so that students can adjust to the work load of med school (so this isn't something I'm making up). I'm just going by what I've experienced at other schools and please correct me if I'm wrong about Maryland.

I like system based, but the students said that it isn't systems based. This is the information that was given to me by a group of first year students. I also said that starting with anatomy probably isn't something to be worried about, but students told me that they didn't like starting with anatomy. Other schools I looked at explain that the main reason they don't start with anatomy is so that students can adjust to the work load of med school (so this isn't something I'm making up). I'm just going by what I've experienced at other schools and please correct me if I'm wrong about Maryland.

Is maryland system based? now that i think about it, the answer to that is yes and no. We dont start at the beginning of first year with 1 system, and go through the anatomy, biochem, phys, path and pharm, and then not come back to it ever.

Second year though, we do go system by system through the path and pharm, starting with heme, then cardio, pulm, gi etc.

i would be willing to bet that schools might use not starting at anatomy as a selling point to students, but in reality, i think that it is both the best foundation, and likely to hone ure studying skills asap. there's no good way to throw you in the ocean.

Welp....DC is absolutely amazing and if you're into policy than you would definitely be wise to pick GW. Also, GW has been making a lot of advances since their probation, it was actually a good thing because they redid one lecture hall, their CLASS center, AND the new second floor in the library. Also they have an H/P/F system as opposed to UMB A/B/C/D/F. For research you could always go to the NIH, which is about 15 mins on the metro.

Honestly though, GW's renovations in response to the probation aren't that impressive. They're by no means bad, and are welcome changes but when you see them it's hard to believe that these changes were recently made. It was like they just tried to scrape by with the minimum that would take them off probation. I just remember being underwhelmed when I saw them. Not to say that facilities are everything and I probably had too high of expectations.

The main things I would look at are curriculum (GWs hours spent in class/lecture vs Maryland's as well as where and how far you have to travel to do your clerkships) and cost. Just the mere fact that Maryland affords you IS residency after the first year is something I would heavily value since I'm not sure GW gives you opportunities clearly above and beyond what Maryland has to offer. At the end of the day though, both schools will allow you to get where you want to go in life.

I'm a Maryland student in the preclinical years and thought I'd add my take on this topic and the other one for the person deciding between Maryland and Baylor.*

For starters, I'll say that choosing a medical school based on a grading system is like making the decision to buy a car based on whether the odometer measures miles or kilometers. In the end you will still be evaluated in one form or another and it really doesn't matter. It's not like there are a set number of a's or b's that we are competing for. Moreover it's *hard to impress upon premeds just how little preclinical grades matter in the end. The boards are not pass fail so I don't see how life at a pass fail school would be any different. Is medical school stressful? Sure but hardly due to our grading system. The bottom line is that there's a ton of stuff you're expected to learn in the first two years and it's the same everywhere.*

Secondly, Maryland's curriculum is mostly systems based with the caveat that we do phys first year and pathophys second year. This means that first year we go through physiology by systems then come back and do systems path second year. Again, This is pretty standard. *As far as starting with anatomy, I can't think of a better way to begin medical school, it's an exciting rite of passage and I'm glad that it was my introduction. Obviously everyone will have an opinion that may be different.*

So if these things don't matter, what does?*
In my opinion, the three most important things to consider are the quality of research and the clinical experience (the part when you're actually in the hospital learning to be a doctor), location and fit, and cost.*

As far as clinical experience, Maryland is very strong, with university, shock trauma, and the va all onsite. For research, Maryland is a consistent top 30/40 in NIH funding, on par with places like UVA, Wisconsin, nyu, etc. There's a lot going on here. *

As far as location and fit - that's largely personal but I'd tell you that Baltimore is not the wire anymore than NYC is Sex and the city or gossip girl. Where your friends and family are is very important in shaping fit.*

Cost is pretty self explanatory.*

Reactions: 1 user
do you like the 2 hrs of lecture time per day or do you think it makes a lot of it self-taught? I know there are previous responses that say lecture notes are always available and they expressed this when I visited, but I just wanted your opinion

It was like they just tried to scrape by with the minimum that would take them off probation.

Congratulations on your acceptances. I'm a GW alum and I would agree with your assessment. Doing the bare minimum is modus operandi, but that's because the bare minimum is the best the school can offer. A lot of students/residents are resentful but they don't understand that GW is low on funding and only has a small endowment. There is no government funding (whereas MD has funding from the state) and no research funding to speak of. The hospital is profitable but is mostly owned by a private for-profit company. That being said, GW can get you where you need to go. You'll get a good education because the attendings know what they are doing. And (speaking as someone who's been there) a H/P/F system is much much better than A-F system at the medical school level. You'll appreciate it once your in school. As someone said, the average at MD is 80s for tests, which implies that roughly 1/2 get less than that. Are you confident you won't be in the bottom 1/2? After all, you'll now be part of a cohort of people who've (probably) never been in the bottom half of anything. Furthermore, if they (MD) graded on a true curve, the average (say, 85%) would become a C. An A-F system is not appropriate for a pre-selected group like medical students. OTOH, if you don't mind being at risk for Cs and Ds, this would be a non-issue.

Last edited:
Furthermore, if they (MD) graded on a true curve, the average (say, 85%) would become a C. An A-F system is not appropriate for a pre-selected group like medical students. OTOH, if you don't mind being at risk for Cs and Ds, this would be a non-issue.

Maryland does not grade on a curve. 85% would be a B no matter how the class did.

Status
Not open for further replies.