University of Malta, Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi everyone, I'm a Maltese Medical Student (well, about to start first year in October). I joined to welcome all those who made it through the entry exams and wish good luck to all those who were rejected and will try again in the future! :)

hey rixo you say u a maltese student going to start this year have the acceptation letters come out for the maltese students as i have finished a course at malta uni im maltese citizen too and planing to start in october but no acceptation or hopefully not rejection came out yet ... are you postgrad? thanks u can pvt me if u wish

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi :)
Acceptence letters are due this week for Maltese students. Yet, those of us who have the required qualifications (A's and/or B's in A-level Bio, Chem and the Intermediate level subjects) are already preparing for the start of 1st year :) Also, no, I'm not postgrad.

Hi everyone, I'm a Maltese Medical Student (well, about to start first year in October). I joined to welcome all those who made it through the entry exams and wish good luck to all those who were rejected and will try again in the future! :)

we've not made it through yet, still have interviews next week!!! :O
do u know how many medical students will be starting in october??? and in general how hard the interviews are?

we've not made it through yet, still have interviews next week!!! :O
do u know how many medical students will be starting in october??? and in general how hard the interviews are?

Good luck for the interviews then :)
The number of internationals varies from year to year depending on a number of factors, which I have no idea about. Yet, the number of internationals is generally between 8-12 per year; sometimes more and sometimes less.

At this moment in time, I do not know what is asked in interviews, but since many of you have asked me about it via PM, I will try to find out and post it in the fourm before the date of the interview (7th september?)

Good luck for the interviews then :)
The number of internationals varies from year to year depending on a number of factors, which I have no idea about. Yet, the number of internationals is generally between 8-12 per year; sometimes more and sometimes less.

At this moment in time, I do not know what is asked in interviews, but since many of you have asked me about it via PM, I will try to find out and post it in the fourm before the date of the interview (7th september?)

That would be awesome mate, thanks for the info

How was everyone's interview? Mine went good. Found out this morning that I've been accepted! Anyone else?

well deena u know i got in too.....u need to get facebook!!! x

Just got back to England and got accepted too! Start a Facebook page '2012 medicine Malta' something like that.

there is already a group on facebook for 2011.....send us a message and we will add u to it!

so how many international students here ave been accepted for our first year into medicine and hows everyone feeling bout it bein accpeted in ;) btw any postgrad applicants here as i am a graduate so medicine would be a second degree thats y asking cus i hope i wouldnt be the only guy over 20 lol:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, apologies if this has been asked already but can someone tell me how much tuition fees are for an EU student studying medicine in Malta? I can't find it on their website and there's very little information around! Is there a separate graduate entry program or are they all the one? Thanks in advance for any replies!

I am thinking of applying to university of Malta. I have a few questions to ask if someone could please answer them.
I am currently in third year of University studying Biomedical Science. I dont have great A level grades, will that be held against me? what else are the requirements , how much work experience or any extra curicular activity? and do we need to write a personal statement? I am asking because on the website none of this information is provided.
How hard is it to get admission ? :oops:

Hi all, apologies if this has been asked already but can someone tell me how much tuition fees are for an EU student studying medicine in Malta? I can't find it on their website and there's very little information around! Is there a separate graduate entry program or are they all the one? Thanks in advance for any replies!

I think the tuition fee for EU students is £1000?

It's free for eu students

Information about the course is here:

http://www.um.edu.mt/registrar/regulations/faculties/ms/MD-1998-2

It's a 5 year degree and that is all.

I am thinking of applying to university of Malta. I have a few questions to ask if someone could please answer them.
I am currently in third year of University studying Biomedical Science. I dont have great A level grades, will that be held against me? what else are the requirements , how much work experience or any extra curicular activity? and do we need to write a personal statement? I am asking because on the website none of this information is provided.
How hard is it to get admission ? :oops:

They will ask you to do a test on bio and chem just a level stuff go to the Facebook group if u need to ask people who are going to start in oct 2011. Applications start in November. But they won't get back to you till July/august.

They will ask you to do a test on bio and chem just a level stuff go to the Facebook group if u need to ask people who are going to start in oct 2011. Applications start in November. But they won't get back to you till July/august.

Thanks for the response. Can you please give me a link to the facebook page.

Can I ask what kind of questions will they ask on the test so I can prepare from now on. :p. Thanks.

so those who pass the test will definitely get called for an interview?

The exams that you all are speaking about is the Matriculation Certificate Examination at Advanced and Intermediate Level? This is state in the University Entry Requirements Brochure ( www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/129626/Scr11_ver5July11.pdf ) as a special requirement and I don't see anyone speaking about this here in this topic. I am looking forward to apply for next year (currently hold a BSc Univ. degree in Clinical Physiology) but I am quite confused with regards to the requirements. Could anyone of you please clarify me this.

Best Regards.

Are there any students who have actually applied/been accepted for Medicine in UoM to start October of THIS year?

I'm currently studying a biomedical science degree in UCL and will graduate this year. I applied for Medicine at UoM in December and received a letter last week saying I had been accepted!! Any other EU students applying?

Last edited:
Are there any students who have actually applied/been accepted for Medicine in UoM to start October of THIS year?

I'm currently studying a biomedical science degree in UCL and will graduate this year. I applied for Medicine at UoM in December and received a letter last week saying I had been accepted!! There was no mention of an interview but it provided me with details about the start of the semester and registration processes. Any other EU students applying?

Hi,

Im a new member. I studied Biomedical science as well at St Georges University (graduated in July 2011) and have just submitted my application for October this year. Congratulations on the place, you are very lucky not to have had to take the entrance exams or be offered an interview. Just wanted to now when you submitted you application??

Has anybody else heard anything yet?

I'm currently studying a biomedical science degree in UCL and will graduate this year. I applied for Medicine at UoM in December and received a letter last week saying I had been accepted!! Any other EU students applying?

Oh woaw! I just finished Medical Physics at UCL in August 2011. Been doing a year of work experience. Got my acceptance letter on 31st January! Starting in October 2011. Got my IT account all set up.

Oh woaw! I just finished Medical Physics at UCL in August 2011. Been doing a year of work experience. Got my acceptance letter on 31st January! Starting in October 2011. Got my IT account all set up.

You mean October 2012 riiiight? And yeah I did the whole IT thing too!! :D Feels surreal.

Hi guys,
I am a bit worried now! When did you all apply? Its not too late to apply now is it? I'm not too late am I? It would really be helpful if you guys can help me out :)

I go there.

Well yes tuition is 24,000 eur yearly for non-EU students.

All lectures are in English (that is true). In the clinical years most patients will talk to you in English, however sometimes you find older patients who are not fluent in English and will only speak in Maltese.

Most of your classmates will be undergrad Maltese students.

Classes generally contain 80-120 students

Most of our foreign students are from the UK (however, I think it is more a geographical and language issue rather than a preference one)

You can get recidency here. However I would not suggest it. The pay is not that good and the hours are really long.

Hi,

I see you are /were a medical student in Malta and I just wondered if you'd be willing to give me some info?? I'm from the UK and am considering applying to Uni of Malta to study medicine. I've emailed the address on the uni website but nobody has come back to me yet.

-Do they accept mature students ie age 30? If so, are there many older students?

-I have A Levels in languages and history and am doing an 'Access to Medicine' course which covers science subjects. Do you know if they accept Access to Medicine courses (many UK unis accept it as a foundation instead of science A Levels)

-How is the course structured? Is it more traditional classroom teaching or do you have regular clinical/patient contact?

-Do the UK students generally do well academically?

-Is the entrance exam very competitive? What sort of topics are covered/

-How is life in Malta generally - is it easy to meet new people and make friends? Do women get hassled? (hope its not an offensive question its just I've been really hassled in other Mediterranean countries and it makes me uncomfortable)

-How is the cost of living in Malta - what would be the approximate rental cost of a nice 1-2 bedroom apartment close to uni?

Thanks very much :)

Hey guys ..

I applied in early February .. I added my personal statement and my A-Levels weren't that great so I was a bit biased and only attached my BSc transcript ..

I've been invited to take the exam in May .. is there anyone else here too with the same situation?

Also is anyone taking the GAMSAT or the UKCAT this year?

Thanksss :)

Hey guys ..

I applied in early February .. I added my personal statement and my A-Levels weren't that great so I was a bit biased and only attached my BSc transcript ..

I've been invited to take the exam in May .. is there anyone else here too with the same situation?

Also is anyone taking the GAMSAT or the UKCAT this year?

Thanksss :)

Hey,
You would get a much better response if you join the FB group for medicine at Malta, http://www.facebook.com/groups/262313817129968/ , you can get a lot of advice from students already studying there from UK and also, from prospective applicants!

All the best with your application! :)

Hi guys!

so i am a 21 year old Maltese,and I am thinking to get into meds school ... do you think it is insane to start now ? and I think you need specific qualifications right to get in ?
plus i know that people over 23 - get some privileges like not needing to have all qualification because of some tertiary government scheme like if its so I'd rather wait just for another year ..but I have no idea where or with whom to check!

if you have any idea what my next step would be i greatly appreciate it ;)
Thanks!!

Hi everyone!

So I sent off my application to University of Malta early April, I know it is still really early as the deadline has only just passed for international students, but how long did it take for those of you with offers to receive a reply? How did they inform you? By post or online? Thanks! Oh and sorry for all the questions.

Hello everyone!

I'm a postgraduate MD from Italy and I'm trying to get some infos about speciality training in Malta. Is there a speciality training in Urology in Malta? if it be so, what's the pay? Is it run by the University or Hospitals?

Thank you!!!!!

Hey, I got my offer by post a couple of weeks ago and I had been waiting for it for about a month and a bit :) I recon yours will be quicker as the exams are some time in May...but I may be wrong.

I decided to place this here as there was no information for me when I took my interview for the foundation programme in Malta - Here is what I found out and experienced.

Malta is a very busy island and has millions of tourists each year but is a very safe, clean environment to be in and has options that are affordable for accommodation, transport and living there.

Application procedure is very very strict I urge you to use registered post and proof of postage. If you do not follow to the letter what they have requested you wont get an interview.

December you get confirmation of an interview or not

Jan is normally the interview times. 2011 saw 125 students invited for interview and 100 were given offers but quite a few reject the offer once they find out the pay of 19,000 Euros per year for BOTH F1 and F2 compared to the UK at around £23k and £29k.
The interview prep is vague so here is what you need. They do not care about anything else other that you CRB, interview and docile ranking. They have a scoring system in place and you normally need 250 pts to get an offer of a position.

Your Docile ranking can determine you pass or not really take for example a student with an 88% average who was in the 7th docile of the year would only get 180 pts compared to someone in the 1st docile getting them 220 pts. Ignore the language ability and any other degrees it wont help you get any higher score. So this now mean interview makes or breaks you. You will get 2 scenarios such as a passenger arrives from Austria and complains of chest pain. What do you think? They want to see you start from the beginning and go through the case properly and they will keep drilling you. Another was a known drunk was bought into the A&E by paramedics unconscious what do you do?

I have seen some students gain 60 pts in this interview and the not so well answered students only get 20 pts so this is where you need to know what your doing or you wont get the result you want

Good luck

Oh, my bad then.

Look if you want any information on the school do not hesitate to PM me or ask here directly on the forums. I will help where I can (I am a local Maltese student so I might not know all the steps needed for a foreign application).

hey hi guys my name is carmelo i am a new member.i was wondering myself if u can help me?i am a student in 3rd year of medicine in romania and i have done an application for a transfert!They told me that i am eligible but 1ST i have to write an exam in september in order to get in (cardiology,biomedical sciences,pathology and neurology 1&2).
i wanted to ask you if you know how will be the examination,the competition...

thanx in advance:)

Hello everyone, I need your help so much. I have a graduation (European Baccalaureate) from my country, Hungary, with the results of :

82% hungarian language and literature
86% history
81% english language
71% art history
80% biology

I am planning to do the Chemistry this May. Is it okay if I do the chemistry just now, are they going to accept it?
I am not good at maths and physics so I don't have any of them. Do I still have a chance of getting in?
I have been living in the UK for the last 4 years and currently doing my first year in Biomedical Sciences, but I would love to study dentistry in Malta. I have been rejected in the UK,its so competitive,and I feel so hopeless and sad. Back at school I had no idea I am going to want to be a dentist so I did not take the right subjects. Please anyone help me, what could be my best option to get into Malta? Thank you in advance,xx

Do anyone have reviews about Malta school of medicine ???? Coz I can't find any on Google plz help ! SOS