---University of Kansas Class of 2011---

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys.
What does anyone think about living out in Lenexa? I know its kinda far but I found a really nice place in a really quiet area. Would any of the current students recommend this or not? Thanks.

I don't see anything wrong with Lenexa if you don't mind the commute. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how are the apartments in "Malvern Hills?" I am OOS and looking to get one there. Is this a good choice???

see above: I lived at Malvern for a year b/w Adams and Booth. Not a ton of med students, but I didn't have a noise problem. They are super cheap, the manager (Michael is super nice) and they are in easy walking distance. However, I'm not sure if they are the safest. I didn't have problems, but was a bit nervous being outdoors after dark.

as for lenexa - I think it could be done, especially since all the lectures are podcasted. However, if you are planning on attending class on a daily basis I think the commute would get really old. Class starts about the same time as rush hour.

Here's some inexpensive housing options from the current edition of "In the Center":

-house, 4BR, 2BA, walk to KUMC, quiet neighborhood, $995/month
-mother-in-law apartment close to KUMC, 2BR, 1BA, kitchen, private entrance, $500/month

Here's one in Waldo (in Missouri):
-roommate to share 3BR house in Waldo with mature, trustworthy mal emedical student, $525/month plus utilities

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice!!!

I don't see anything wrong with Lenexa if you don't mind the commute. :thumbup:

Lenexa's a really nice area, I think it'd be a great place to live... but I have to second that it'd be a bit of a drive. I'm living in prairie village, which is probably around half as far as lenexa... and am a little concerned about the drive... but other than a sort of long rush-hour haul, the area is really nice and I'd say it'd be a very nice place to live :)

Here's one in Waldo (in Missouri):
-roommate to share 3BR house in Waldo with mature, trustworthy mal emedical student, $525/month plus utilities

This is a bit tangential, but isn't it required to live on the Kansas side or something..? Or maybe that's just something related to in state tuition, but I remember hearing something about people being upset about not being able to live on the plaza since it's on the MO side. Not that I have a clue what I'm talking about or anything:rolleyes:

gotta live in kansas to get the kansas tuition

What kind of fun things are there to do around KUMC?

Hey Thanks everybody. I was thinking about the drive too. When I was out there for the second look I stayed a few days after and tried the commute. I could see it getting old, but I'm still seriously considering it. The fact that I'm OOS opens up my options. Anyone know of places similar to Lenexa on the MO side? Oh and I second erudite's question.

Are you thinking along the lines of night life fun...?

If so, westport can get a little sketchy in some areas, but for the most part but is a hell of a good time... there are a handful of pretty good bars and clubs grouped together, definitely a good time for anyone who likes to party ;)

Tons and tons of fun things! My problem is I get way to lazy after a day of school to leave my couch and do any of them.

Here's my list of favorite things:
-39th street: lots of yummy local restaurants
-Plaza: shopping and some pretty decent Happy Hours
-Wesport: McCoy's brewery - yum!
-Midtown: First Friday's art walk
-City Market: farmer's market
-If you are in to BBQ there are a TON of places around town

I can't wait to try some of these out!!! Thank you.

Hey Thanks everybody. I was thinking about the drive too. When I was out there for the second look I stayed a few days after and tried the commute. I could see it getting old, but I'm still seriously considering it. The fact that I'm OOS opens up my options. Anyone know of places similar to Lenexa on the MO side? Oh and I second erudite's question.
Socooltoo,

Keep in mind the drive in traffic all the way to Lenexa.....Im not sure when you drove out there but if you didnt do it during traffic times then dont forget to take that into account. Traffic on 69 and 35 can easily turn a 20 min trip to an hour 2-3 times a week. It also depends where in Lenexa you are trying to live.

Members don't see this ad :)
Socooltoo,

Keep in mind the drive in traffic all the way to Lenexa.....Im not sure when you drove out there but if you didnt do it during traffic times then dont forget to take that into account. Traffic on 69 and 35 can easily turn a 20 min trip to an hour 2-3 times a week. It also depends where in Lenexa you are trying to live.

There was this place I saw that was right by both 435 and 35 called the Dunes at City Central. I just liked it so much cuz it has everything i could ever want right in the area. Grocery, dry cleaning, free gym membership across the street, a little shopping, washer and dryer in the apartment, the list goes on. Its just that darn commute. It took me under 15 minutes without traffic so i was thinking about 20- 30 minutes with traffic. If I can find a place like this closer to the school though I'll definately hop on that.

The Dunes look real nice...but trust, I live here and drive to KU everyday on 69 and 35 for the pre-matric program ....in ugly traffic its gonna take you longer than you think because people in Kansas act like they dont know how to drive on a highway in the morning. I live a little further South than the Dunes now and its a BEAST every morning. I move in a month and I am just counting down the days. Have you looked at the places in mission and Roeland Park? Seems like a bunch of students live in one of the many complexes between Lamar and Metcalf around 51st Street. They have washer and dryer hookups or the washer and dryer already in it, and are close to several grocery stores, walmart, target, etc. The kitchens are a little older than some things further south in OP or Lenexa, but not too bad at all.

I have two Questions: (1) What size is the display of the KUMC tablet PC? (2) Did any of the previous first years enjoy using their Tablet?--what are the cons.

Thanks. GO JAYHAWKS:cool::smuggrin:;):rolleyes:

I have two Questions: (1) What size is the display of the KUMC tablet PC? (2) Did any of the previous first years enjoy using their Tablet?--what are the cons.

Thanks. GO JAYHAWKS:cool::smuggrin:;):rolleyes:

well, I don't have a ruler with me, but I think its a 15 inch screen. I really liked the tablet. I use it all the time (prefer it over my PC) and I like the notebook capabilities. I took all of my notes and did nearly all of my studying with the tablet.

anyone know if there's a facebook group for our class?? seems like a lot of schools have them started already!

Yes there is one...I think it's KUMC Class of 2011. Just search for it :)

Sorry for totally thread-hijacking you guys...

I volunteer two days a week at KUMC and am looking for a doctor or three to shadow. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of doctors who might be open to this or if there's any Jayhawks on here who would be cool with me shadowing them. I have areas that I'm interested in, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't shadow in areas that I've never considered - so no specifics in mind.

PM me, and again, sorry for jumping into your thread.

Congrats to everyone who got in for this fall.

Yes there is one...I think it's KUMC Class of 2011. Just search for it :)

I found another one today. It's "So much for pre-med: KUMC Entering Class of 2007"

Anybody a MD/PhD student at KU (or friends with one)? I've been working over in the Physiology department doing research at KUMC this summer and last, and I'm thinking hard about maybe getting a Ph.D. with my MD. I'm just wanting some general reflections on the MD/PhD program at KUMC.

By the way, with all the talk of commutes: if you can take Shawnee Mission Parkway rather than I-35 or 69, do it. I live near SM Pkwy and Nall, and it's about a 10 minute drive from my house to the parking lot. Not bad at all. (And that long to walk from the parking lot to work, though, and that's in summer, when students are gone!)

So how is everyone's summer going? Mine has been uneventful. We're supposed to go camping this weekend with my parents and with my brother's family, but it just won't stop raining...
I think we're going either way, it just won't be quite as fun if it doesn't dry up tomorrow.
I haven't seen my brother and his kids since Thanksgiving and they've had a baby since then that I will be seeing in person the first time this weekend. So anyway, I'm pretty excited.
I hope everyone is having a good summer. I bet you guys are starting to get pretty excited! :D

yay! It turned out to be a nice weekend to camp. The kids were even able to play in the pool on Sunday afternoon. I managed to get a sunburn. The only problem is that my son wouldn't sleep during the night at the campground, so not only did we not get much sleep, but I'm guessing my neighbors weren't very happy either. At one point my mom came out from their RV and told us she thought we should go home! (We didn't):smuggrin:

You can (almost certainly) count me in the KUMC class of 2011.

I am also in the KU Class of 2011. Is everyone excited to start school in a couple of weeks?

I saw a post about someone considering living in Lenexa so I thought I would add something. My husband and I bought a house in May near South Lenexa and as long as there isn't an accident it should take me about 20-25 minutes to get to school. I decided it was worth a little more of a drive to live in that area (tons of shops and restaurants and parks). We looked for months at houses near the med school and I thought they were way overpriced for their age and size (at least in our price range!), so we ended up choosing one a little further away. Renting in that area seemed okay, though. We have dogs so that didn't work out. The house we bought is only a couple blocks from Lenexa.

I can definitely see the advantage of living right by the school! If I didn't have a husband and big dogs I would probably have ended up in Rainbow Tower (I have a friend who lived there for 2 years). (edit: oops! I just saw that Rainbow Tower was converted into condos! Guess that's not an option anymore, unless people are renting them out.)

Anyway, I am excited to meet all of you at orientation!:) Does anyone know how bad parking is going to be the first few months? I am trying to figure out how early to get there to be able to get a space! I guess that was another nice thing about living at an apartment by school - no need to park!

hello and congrats to everyone who got in!

hi i had a few questions for everyone who got in. i'm applying for ku med next year and unfortunately my stats aren't good. i have a low gpa, 3.53 and i got a 24 on the mcat the first time. i go to kstate and am from kansas. i'm trying to apply early for next year and i will be retaking my mcat soon. i was wondering how off, or how bad my stats are for even getting an interview. other stuff i've done include: volunteer 50 hours in hospital, 20 hours shadowing a family doctor, my dad is a family doctor (i didnt shadow him), i am involved in a student organization on campus which means we just hold various events throughout the year (this takes up more time than it sounds), TA for beginning biology labs (i "teach" and run them), leadership positions in my language club, and i recently started shadowing/volunteering at a local pro-bono clinic.

sorry if that's a lot (i'm pretty nervous), and if it belongs somewhere else, just let me know. i like being in kansas and would like to stay closer to home. appreciate it. congrats to you guys again.

Hi lilnoelle! I saw it a while ago on the kumc website (our calendar), so I printed it out. Here is the link (it is still possibly being revised).

http://www.kumc.edu/som/calendars.html

It is the "year 1 draft".

Exciting!

Looks pretty similar to our schedule last year. We didn't have the "week preview" thing, nor did we have a chance to retake the midterm exam. (First exam in the foundations module was considered a midterm, not a final).

How's orientation going?

Classes start tomorrow! (unless yours started last week....) :luck::luck::luck: Good luck everyone!
I look forward to meeting some of you. (Although I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who still checks this thread.)

Classes start tomorrow! (unless yours started last week....) :luck::luck::luck: Good luck everyone!
I look forward to meeting some of you. (Although I'm beginning to think I'm the only one who still checks this thread.)

Haha, I've been a little MIA on this thread.

...one week down...

Hello! I'm in the process of finishing up my med school pre-reqs part time (Won't be applying until 2010, probably) and was wondering how the current students feel about the block scheduling. I was mostly interested in the pharm coverage. Are you covering drugs as you go? Are there any kinds of dynamics or kinetics covered? Just seems like (from an outsider) that there isn't much coverage of these topics.

Thanks in advance for any input on this subject!

Hope everybody's classes are going well!

-RT2MD

Hello! I'm in the process of finishing up my med school pre-reqs part time (Won't be applying until 2010, probably) and was wondering how the current students feel about the block scheduling. I was mostly interested in the pharm coverage. Are you covering drugs as you go? Are there any kinds of dynamics or kinetics covered? Just seems like (from an outsider) that there isn't much coverage of these topics.

Thanks in advance for any input on this subject!

Hope everybody's classes are going well!

-RT2MD

There is a moderate amount of pharm info worked into the blocks. The majority of the pharm we will learn will be in the last block (I think its called Integrations) of the M2 year, right before Step I.

There is a moderate amount of pharm info worked into the blocks. The majority of the pharm we will learn will be in the last block (I think its called Integrations) of the M2 year, right before Step I.

Thanks for your quick reply! I was wondering if that was the way that it worked for KUMC. Thanks again!

-RT2MD

Anyone belong to Major society? We have a luncheon tomorrow....

hi lilnoelle
i'm not in major, but in orr. i was told that our societies do things together sometimes.

i've been a little MIA around here too....

hi lilnoelle
i'm not in major, but in orr. i was told that our societies do things together sometimes.

i've been a little MIA around here too....

Delp here! Supposedly they're trying to get some teams together from the societies for some... athletic competition ;) And perhaps some partying!

LOL!! I think we've been MIA cuz school is slapping us around a little bit. ANyhoo everybody knows that Delp is where its at!!!!!

LOL!! I think we've been MIA cuz school is slapping us around a little bit. ANyhoo everybody knows that Delp is where its at!!!!!

Aw come on guys, get it together! (j/k) This year will fly by for you guys, it sure did for me. Soon you'll be in a different lecture hall and will have your own little sib.

Hello all! Sorry to hijack your class thread, but it's tough to find KUMC SOM posters anywhere else on the boards. I'm a displaced Kansan (grew up in Olathe) who's been living out of state for the last 5 years. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle. My wife and I would love to come back home to Kansas for medical school, but even if I get in, tuition is significantly more expensive for OOS students at Kansas than it is in TX, which is where I'm currently a resident. My question is: are there scholarship opportunities (other than the primary care award) for non Kansas residents? If so, what type of numbers does a non-resident need to be competitive for those awards? Thanks!!

Nope, shes talking about the Kansas Medical Student Loan, which is a loan repayment program where they will pay all of your tuition (even if your OOS) plus up to a $1500 stipend every month for you to commit to 4 years of primary care in an underserved area. Its a great deal if your absolutely certain you want to do primary care, but a rotten deal if you change your mind. (steep penalties)

Hi Lilnoelle,

I am fairly certain I would like to go into primary care, but am hesitant about applying to /entering the KMSL program because of the penalties you mentioned. I heard that it might be possible to enter this program as a third year. Is this true? If so is it more competitive? Any idea how many slots are typically open for this?

I have yet to be accepted to KUMC, but it remains my top choice. I applied for the first time last fall and was rejected. :( Right now I am trying to decide between going osteopathic and accruing outrageous amounts of debt or reapplying to KU. In your opinion would it be worth reapplying to KU? It seems like a no-brainer if I knew for certain I'd be happy in the KMSL program, but there's also no guarentees I'd be accepted next time around :hungover:

Any tips or advice you have would be great! Your past posts have been super informative. :)

Hi Lilnoelle,

I am fairly certain I would like to go into primary care, but am hesitant about applying to /entering the KMSL program because of the penalties you mentioned. I heard that it might be possible to enter this program as a third year. Is this true? If so is it more competitive? Any idea how many slots are typically open for this?

I have yet to be accepted to KUMC, but it remains my top choice. I applied for the first time last fall and was rejected. :( Right now I am trying to decide between going osteopathic and accruing outrageous amounts of debt or reapplying to KU. In your opinion would it be worth reapplying to KU? It seems like a no-brainer if I knew for certain I'd be happy in the KMSL program, but there's also no guarentees I'd be accepted next time around :hungover:

Any tips or advice you have would be great! Your past posts have been super informative. :)

I talked to someone about this recently, actually, because I've found myself interested in KMSL again.
OK, so here is how it goes.... They have 30 spots open for each year, to equal a total of 120 spots open (for all 4 years). This last year they filled up all of the spots, but they expect a few more to open with graduation.
The easiest time to get into the KMSL program is going into your freshmen year. You've got 30 definite spots available for you and your classmates. However, you are taking a chance that you might change your mind about primary care (as I did).
You can apply ANY time during your four years of med school, but then you are applying for a few potentially open spots that are available ONLY if there are spots open from the years that have followed you. (Say as a fourth year student, there are 10 spots open because the incoming freshman only used up 20 of the spots).
If you apply later on in your education and there are spots open, then you've got a spot saved until you graduate. If you want them to pay for previous years tuition (as a fourth year you apply and would like KMSL to cover all four years of tuition) then they have to have that many spots available for you. If there are only 3 spots available, they can pay for 3 years, but won't pay for the fourth.

The trouble is that I think the KMSL spots are going to get more competitive now that they are willing to pay for previous years tuition (this changed last year). I think that there are a lot of people who don't take KMSL as a freshman because they are scared to commit to primary care.... but now all of the graduating seniors who are going into primary care and don't mind staying in Kansas would be dumb to not take it.

Concerning applying again... sure you should apply again. A friend of mine in my class applied twice (applied early decision the second time) and is now one of the top 10 in my class as far as grades.
I would recommend applying to both osteopathic and allopathic programs this time around.
I applied to both during my application cycle. (I applied to KU, Iowa, WashU, Mizzou, and KCUMB during 2005).
Don't hesitate to ask me more questions if you have more - or if what I explained didn't make sense. Its probably better to pm your questions to me though since I probably won't see it if you write in this thread.

Hello all! Sorry to hijack your class thread, but it's tough to find KUMC SOM posters anywhere else on the boards. I'm a displaced Kansan (grew up in Olathe) who's been living out of state for the last 5 years. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle. My wife and I would love to come back home to Kansas for medical school, but even if I get in, tuition is significantly more expensive for OOS students at Kansas than it is in TX, which is where I'm currently a resident. My question is: are there scholarship opportunities (other than the primary care award) for non Kansas residents? If so, what type of numbers does a non-resident need to be competitive for those awards? Thanks!!

I'm a non resident and I didn't get any substantial scholarship help. I have heard that someone (from SDN) claimed to get a full ride, but I have never heard of that otherwise and have no more information.
I'm taking out the max amount of loans - which for me is something like $70K a year (I'm taking out extra for daycare).
Loans are scary.... I would go to an instate school if you can get into it.