University of Iowa c/o 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm giving up my spot to go to UMich! I hope one of you gets it!

Very nice, Michigan is a great school. Quick questions about Michigan, was there a writing prompt and what was your overall impression of the interview process. My interviews is on the 19th of March. :scared: I'm still waiting for Iowa...I'm wondering when the Adcom will be making their final decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed on 2-6 too and i got a deny letter last week. I was bumped. iowa is not my first choice though.
my stat
3.9 overall gpa
4.0 sci gpa
91 pcat
no degree, from community college btw.
They did said they differentiate the gpa from comm college though. I thought my pcat would help but it certainly didn't.

deny letter or deny e-mail?

deny letter by normal mail, not email. they said we are sorry u are not selected since the pool of applicant is so large therefore it's competitive and everybody is good, or something similar

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on Feb 27 and haven't heard anything either.

i checked last year's thread and it seems like they got final results at the end of april, like april 28/29. So it might be awhile...

OMG I just got an email saying that I've been accepted!!! interviewed on Feb 20th......:love:

have any who interviewed on 2/27 gotten acceptance emails yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trackstar and Azn, what are your stats out of curiosity?

I interviewed on 2-20. I got my BS of Chemistry from the University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign. Science GPA: 3.46, Overall: 3.58. PCAT composite 84. I don't have much volunteering experience, but I am working as a tech right now.

I interviewed on 2-20. I got my BS of Chemistry from the University of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign. Science GPA: 3.46, Overall: 3.58. PCAT composite 84. I don't have much volunteering experience, but I am working as a tech right now.

Oh, so you were basically a shoo-in. With those stats no one cares much about volunteer work, least of all Iowa.

Trackstar and Azn, what are your stats out of curiosity?

GPA: 3.76 PCAT: 73.......I was really worried about my PCAT since my reading was so bad....the 40 something percentile......plus I'm out of state, but I think my interview went pretty well

Does Iowa offer conditional acceptance or guaranteed acceptance into their pharmacy school for undergrads?

Does Iowa offer conditional acceptance or guaranteed acceptance into their pharmacy school for undergrads?
P3 here.

There is no guaranteed acceptance program for those who do undergrad at Iowa. You have to apply with everyone else. But, nearly everyone from Iowa who wants to seems to get in even if it takes a few tries. Alot of times people apply to start pharm their sophomore year. Those with good stats and interviews have a good shot at getting in then. As people progress throughout undergrad, they tend to reapply and almost everyone is in by the end of their senior year.

I'm not aware of anyone having been accepted conditionally. But, obviously you have to finish your prerequisites successfully if they are in process at the time of your acceptance.

Bump. Does anyone know?
*Edit: sorry, I didn't notice someone answered. Thank you.

Last edited:
GPA: 3.76 PCAT: 73.......I was really worried about my PCAT since my reading was so bad....the 40 something percentile......plus I'm out of state, but I think my interview went pretty well
If you got to the interview, I would not worry too much about your section score. Based on the number of people who get interviewed, the size of the class, and the number of out of state people who decline, your shot at getting in once you have had an interview has to be pretty high.

Also, files do get pulled randomly for review. So, when you interviewed won't affect when you are notified.

If you got to the interview, I would not worry too much about your section score. Based on the number of people who get interviewed, the size of the class, and the number of out of state people who decline, your shot at getting in once you have had an interview has to be pretty high.

Also, files do get pulled randomly for review. So, when you interviewed won't affect when you are notified.

thanks for the info!! hope school is going well for you!

I believe about half of those interviewed will eventually get an offer of acceptance.

Got my acceptance email. interviewed 2-20. stats: 3.7gpa ,94pcat, work as a tech for 1 yr., and have a bs in biology all at a 4 year university.
I will most likely be declining because I also got into my state school (UNMC) which will be about half the price.
They said at my interview that they interviewed 300 people and ab 150 will eventually get accepted after people declining seats. They also said EVERYONE will know their status by may 1.
Good luck to all still waiting!:luck:

Oh, so you were basically a shoo-in. With those stats no one cares much about volunteer work, least of all Iowa.

I didn't think I was a shoo-in. My interview was average/bad. I was so nervous my hands were shaking. On one of the questions, they asked me about 3 ethical concerns pharmacists had to deal with. I could only name two and I lost my train of thought and said I couldn't think of anything else. I also went off the subject many times and could not remember why I did. But at the end of the interview when we spoke with the Dean, he told us that they didn't really look at the subscores and primarily went by the gpa and overall composite pcat score. Letter of recommendations were crucial, a bad letter would be a big no-no. My LOR's were written from three people that really liked me, so I knew they would write awesome letters. I think the interview wasn't really that important in their decision. They pretty much wanted to make sure you could form sentences.

I didn't think I was a shoo-in. My interview was average/bad. I was so nervous my hands were shaking. On one of the questions, they asked me about 3 ethical concerns pharmacists had to deal with. I could only name two and I lost my train of thought and said I couldn't think of anything else. I also went off the subject many times and could not remember why I did. But at the end of the interview when we spoke with the Dean, he told us that they didn't really look at the subscores and primarily went by the gpa and overall composite pcat score. Letter of recommendations were crucial, a bad letter would be a big no-no. My LOR's were written from three people that really liked me, so I knew they would write awesome letters. I think the interview wasn't really that important in their decision. They pretty much wanted to make sure you could form sentences.

i was sort of asked that question too but it was "what three ethical values do you feel are important" or something like that. i was kind of shocked because the previous question was something totally different so i had to pause and regroup my thoughts. it felt like i took FOREVER to answer!

Ha, I remember this question in my interview. I rambled on about some random concepts I learned in biomedical ethics. I wanted to shake my head and laugh at myself when I was done speaking! I kept thinking about that question for the rest of the night.

I feel a lot better knowing now that I wasn't the only person that had trouble with this question. I made sure for my other interviews that I knew how to answer the question better lol. Thank god I wasn't asked this question again though. I still don't think I would have been able to answer it well on the spot.

I was asked about ethical qualities a pharmacist should have or something like that. I think I said the ability to think about others over yourself, but also keep true to yourself and not sacrifice your own values. Then I kind of blanked and said something like compassion. That as the last question they asked me.

I was asked about ethical qualities a pharmacist should have or something like that. I think I said the ability to think about others over yourself, but also keep true to yourself and not sacrifice your own values. Then I kind of blanked and said something like compassion. That as the last question they asked me.

And you still haven't heard back... I wonder why. JK! :laugh:

I had that "3 ethical issues" question as well. Definitely my worst answer. It was somewhere in the middle of my interview and I think I finished well. Hopefully it was enough to cover up that question.

Looks like the next round of acceptances will arrive around the 30th? Or do they send them out every day of the week?

Did anyone else get an email from the office of admissions from Iowa that said you need to fill out an application for admissions? They want me to fill out a form and submit 40 dollars, before I have received an official acceptance letter in the mail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the purpose of the supplemental?

Did anyone else get an email from the office of admissions from Iowa that said you need to fill out an application for admissions? They want me to fill out a form and submit 40 dollars, before I have received an official acceptance letter in the mail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this the purpose of the supplemental?

It's for transfer students. Any student who doesn't complete their undergrad at Iowa has to submit this and the transfer app fee of $40.

That's a bit queer. Do all pharmacy schools do this or is this just iowa?

That's a bit queer. Do all pharmacy schools do this or is this just iowa?

I got the application too. Guess its just their policy...shouldn't deter me too much unless Iowa wasn't my prime choice!! Anyone else goin to IOWA??? I would like to begin roommie screening..:D:D

For people who went to Iowa for undergrad, what is the acceptance rate into Iowa's pharmacy school? Do you have to get an undergraduate degree to apply there, or can you apply after a certain amount of years doing pre-pharmacy coursework?

For people who went to Iowa for undergrad, what is the acceptance rate into Iowa's pharmacy school? Do you have to get an undergraduate degree to apply there, or can you apply after a certain amount of years doing pre-pharmacy coursework?

For 2009 34% of students were transfer students (I think that's what you're asking). Overall they take 108 out of about 800 applicants. An undergrad degree is not required, they have a 2 year pre-professional program that you can take and then apply after that. More here:
http://www.pharmacy.uiowa.edu/admissions/index.htm

did anyone from the last interview (2/28) hear anything yet?

I will be declining my spot so hopefully someone who is waitlisted will be contacted.

i interviewed on 2/27 and haven't heard anything :/ i'm assuming that means no dice.

2/27 here as well and also haven't heard anything. Though for me no news is good news. They will let you know if you didn't get in or are wait listed. I'm assuming they just haven't reviewed my app yet. They have 4 more weeks at 40 application per week for 160 out of the 300 that interviewed. They're only halfway done.

i guess they're sending out emails now, just got one this afternoon.

sorry about that >< i got accepted. i think they are sending acceptances via email and rejections through snail mail but i am not completely sure.

sorry about that >< i got accepted. i think they are sending acceptances via email and rejections through snail mail but i am not completely sure.
Oh look at you, Mr. "no dice"...Congrats!

Congratulations! You have been recommended for admission to the Class of 2014 of the University of Iowa, College of Pharmacy.
Yay!!!!!
I'm really surprised - my interview must have went a lot better than I thought it did

I interviewed on Feb 27 in the morning group