University of Iowa c/o 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely recommend taking one in spring of P1 year. Several people in my class did that and we all managed just fine. Most probably stick to the schedule and take them spring P2 and all of P3, but there are opportunities to take them earlier, for sure. By taking them sooner, it gives you more choice in the electives you end up taking. They are less likely to have overlap/conflicts if you spread them out.

If you are interested in one of the international opportunities, definitely plan ahead and get the info for them early on. The India one is a 3 week trip over winter break and you receive 3 credits for it. You can participate in this during any year, including P1. The Mexico one is only for P3s.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! If any one of you is still looking for a place to live, here is a great option. I would have chosen to live here for all four years, but I'm actually going to attend a different dental school. It's a very nice studio located on 902 Newton Rd. It has its own bathroom, kitchen, walk in closet, and coat clos...et. There's also laundry on site. All utilities are paid by owners. The rent is $500 per month and it's a really good deal with excellent quality. Please send me a note or e-mail [email protected] for more information!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello there,

Thanks for your interest! You can e-mail [email protected] to ask about their pet policy. The studio is located in the most convenient spot on campus. It's basically next-door to all the health sciences departments: pharmacy, medical, dental. Let me know if you have any questions! Take care,

still looking for a roomate.

im a 22 yo male from Chicago, did my undergrad at IU.

i like to have fun, very laid back, and take school seriously.

lemme know if u or any1 u know is lookin for a roomate (male or female)

I'm coming to Iowa City to check out apartments on the 30th! Road trip!!

What the hell does your city have against donuts?

I couldn't find a dunkin donuts or equivalent on my GPS :mad: Do you just eat donuts somewhere that doesn't show up on a GPS or do does all of Iowa City just really hate donuts?

On another note, my friend asked me to show her where the COP was. I was exactly sure (I didn't have a map) so I put the hospital into the GPS and thought maybe I'd find it (I didn't but that's okay). So if anyone saw a New York license plate driving around aimlessly looking lost, that was me :laugh:

Last edited:
I have a question about textbooks.

Does everyone buy them only from the APhA-ASP bookstore? I got the email for odering them and it says to order them by July 19. I am not sure I want to get them that early. Does anyone buy them someplace else? Are they sold in a bookstore on campus? Or do you have to buy them online?

I have a question about textbooks.

Does everyone buy them only from the APhA-ASP bookstore? I got the email for odering them and it says to order them by July 19. I am not sure I want to get them that early. Does anyone buy them someplace else? Are they sold in a bookstore on campus? Or do you have to buy them online?

I think the majority buy them online from Amazon and other sellers. It's much cheaper for most of the books because you can find used copies that are like new or even new copies for less money. They aren't available on campus anywhere that I know of. It's either buy them from ASP or online.

The Drug Info book by Malone is available online at Hardin library for free to students, so you don't need to buy that one. I don't think we ever used it anyway. There are mixed feelings about the pathology book. Some read it, most didn't. The exams are from the lectures and notes, so it's up to you whether you want the extra background reading or not.

As for donuts, I honestly have no idea where a good shop around here is. I'm not a huge fan of donuts, myself. They do have one somewhere, though, because we've been treated to them in class and meetings before so you'll have to ask around or try google.

What does everyone think about this area?
740 Michael Street

I already got an apartment around this area (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head but it's right next to this address)

Can anyone tell me about the area so I know what to expect? It seemed pretty quiet when I went there, but there weren't many students around.

What does everyone think about this area?
740 Michael Street

I already got an apartment around this area (can't remember the exact number off the top of my head but it's right next to this address)

Can anyone tell me about the area so I know what to expect? It seemed pretty quiet when I went there, but there weren't many students around.

That area should be fine. A lot of students (especially grad/professional) live off of Benton... especially at the Seville apartments a little bit west of there. Shouldn't be too bad of a walk/bike ride if you are planning on doing that.

What the hell does your city have against donuts?

I couldn't find a dunkin donuts or equivalent on my GPS :mad: Do you just eat donuts somewhere that doesn't show up on a GPS or do does all of Iowa City just really hate donuts?

On another note, my friend asked me to show her where the COP was. I was exactly sure (I didn't have a map) so I put the hospital into the GPS and thought maybe I'd find it (I didn't but that's okay). So if anyone saw a New York license plate driving around aimlessly looking lost, that was me :laugh:

No real donut shops in Iowa City... HyVee (grocery store) has decent ones... otherwise Bread Garden (downtown) has them on Fri, Sat and Sunday mornings. They are pretty good but only usually offer one or two kinds per morning (glazed, jelly, maple/bacon). The last place I know of is Deluxe bakery on Summit. Their stuff is pretty good, but kind of overpriced.