University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know, tickets to Hilo is super expensive now. But maybe Orlando might be a spring interview location, who knows cause the school is still determining locations and dates. Good luck!

Kashkow,

I'm hoping for an interview in December (right after I graduate!) and if they don't have any in Orlando I'll either go to Las Vegas or possibly Hilo. It would be great to see Hilo and my dad said I may be able to use his free ticket from his frequent flyer miles....:D

Members don't see this ad.

Tickets aren't as expensive right now as you may think, I got a ticket from a midwest state roundtrip to Hilo for Christmas break. All together for luggage and everything it came to $622. That may or may not seem like a lot of money to you, but my first ticket out here for my P1 year cost me nearly double that.

Prepharm,

That is a good price! Last time I checked (just in case) it was around $800 from Orlando.

By the way, I saw on one of your previous posts that you said classes start around 1 p.m. and go till around 5 p.m. Do you have any scheduled duties in the morning or can you use it to study? I'm a night owl so not having early morning classes would suit me just fine! :D

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email for interview invite. So finally the waiting has come to an end!

dude, i got an interview invite too! AHHH!!!

Katvan, Antivirals, Kern - Congratulations!!!

I got an invite too!:D I really hope I get the 12/12 date in Las Vegas as this is my last semester and my finals are 12/7 - 12/11. I'm checking with my professors tomorrow to confirm my actual exam schedule. It would've been great to actually go to Hilo but there would be no way time wise as I will be hard pressed to make it on 12/12 - but I will find a way!

I wasn't expecting to hear anything for another two weeks so this was a nice surprise.:)

Congrats on your invites guys! How exciting!! My email just said my application was complete! lol. Hopefully I'll get something soon.

By the way, I saw on one of your previous posts that you said classes start around 1 p.m. and go till around 5 p.m. Do you have any scheduled duties in the morning or can you use it to study? I'm a night owl so not having early morning classes would suit me just fine! :D

Thanks.
Classes start at 1:00pm on most days, some classes during P2 year start at 3:00pm depending on your electives. This is to account for labs which are during the P1 year for pharmaceutics and are scheduled for mornings starting at 8:00am (once a week M,W,or F) and rotations as well are during the week at 8:00am (once again once a week mainly T or TH).

P3 year is almost all morning classes since rotations are done over the summer for that year. But other then that you are able to sleep in, study, or do whatever you want with your mornings for the first two years.

I also received an invite! I chose Saturday, Friday, and Thursday in Las Vegas - in order of preference. Yay! :) Hopefully they will reply soon and then we can make our travel arrangements!

Dreamer,

Don't stop dreaming :D because you just submitted your application and they probably haven't had enough time to review it yet. I also got an email way back when telling me mine was complete. As Hilo does rolling admissions, your app will likely be just a little bit further down the line. Keep us posted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Phoenix,

I had the University of Colorado :) on my list at one time until I looked more in depth at the requirements and saw they required biochemistry. They also wouldn't accept my clep credit for English so I had to cut them. I bet it is beautiful there in Colorado!
Only beautiful in the summer, winter time in Denver sucks unless you don't have to be in school and can live at the ski resorts.

COngrats you guys! I just completed my application last week b/c one of my reference did not come through so I had to find someone else. I'm very excited for Hilo, more so than the other schools........I mean, it's HAWAII! I hope to get an interview though:D

Classes start at 1:00pm on most days, some classes during P2 year start at 3:00pm depending on your electives. This is to account for labs which are during the P1 year for pharmaceutics and are scheduled for mornings starting at 8:00am (once a week M,W,or F) and rotations as well are during the week at 8:00am (once again once a week mainly T or TH).

P3 year is almost all morning classes since rotations are done over the summer for that year. But other then that you are able to sleep in, study, or do whatever you want with your mornings for the first two years.

Sounds great - thanks for the info!

Hey guys,
What are the interview dates?

Only beautiful in the summer, winter time in Denver sucks unless you don't have to be in school and can live at the ski resorts.

I disagree. I'm here in CO now, and I love it! I do think winter is going to be rough this year. It's not yet winter and we've already had a snow day. I love school and the area though :)

Is it bad to call and ask what my application status is?.. :confused:

Is it bad to call and ask what my application status is?.. :confused:

milagroo,

I don't think it would hurt. I assume you've received an email that your application was received and is complete? You could call them and tell them when you submitted it and you understand they are starting to schedule the first round of interviews - and based on the date you submitted you wondered whether you'd be in the first round if you were going to be interviewed. Just keep in mind their time difference - I remember calling with questions about my supplemental and couldn't understand why noone ever answered! Then I found out they are six hours behind our time. Good luck :luck:- let us know how it goes.

i agree with forrest, the people over there are very nice. i called their office last week to figure out if my application was complete or not since i got two contradicting emails (see before post) and it was Liz that picked up the phone. seems that they're having some delays due to a new computer system or software (one or the other).

it never hurts to ask! :)

i hope i get a confirmation soon, i also chose the 12th in Las Vegas as my first choice. can't WAIT to see ppl from SDN there. :)

I disagree to a certain extent, the first round of interview invites just went out yesterday, have a little patience. Unless of course he is inquiring about if his application is entirely complete, in which case if it has been several weeks without hearing anything then I would say go for it.

oh me bad, i thought milgaroo was looking to see whether if the app was complete or not. i agree with prepharm on not calling them to see the status of the appl.

best of luck. :luck:

i agree with forrest, the people over there are very nice. i called their office last week to figure out if my application was complete or not since i got two contradicting emails (see before post) and it was Liz that picked up the phone. seems that they're having some delays due to a new computer system or software (one or the other).

i hope i get a confirmation soon, i also chose the 12th in Las Vegas as my first choice. can't WAIT to see ppl from SDN there. :)

Kern,

I'm with you - I hope to get confirmation asap so I can stop worrying that the interview will interfere with my finals! The interview is VERY important but if I mess up my finals that could impact my candidacy. I hope I sent my preferences in time to get my first choice. If so, we'll have to get together if our schedules allow.

I disagree to a certain extent, the first round of interview invites just went out yesterday, have a little patience. Unless of course he is inquiring about if his application is entirely complete, in which case if it has been several weeks without hearing anything then I would say go for it.

kern07: oh me bad, i thought milgaroo was looking to see whether if the app was complete or not. i agree with prepharm on not calling them to see the status of the appl.

best of luck. :luck:

heyy kern ^ ^ well, i don't think an apology is necessary given that s/he[prepharm1214], is actually agreeing with you in that sense. then again, ASSUMING that IS what milgaroo, ment by "application status" eh? or as stated in prepharms, first sentence, of course...:)

Kern,

I'm with you - I hope to get confirmation asap so I can stop worrying that the interview will interfere with my finals! The interview is VERY important but if I mess up my finals that could impact my candidacy. I hope I sent my preferences in time to get my first choice. If so, we'll have to get together if our schedules allow.

heyy forest ^ ^ aww, STOP worrying you'll be fine and tell your sister i said hi!!!:D oh, heyy! does she have an SDN account, by the way?

ANYWAY... best of luck! to "EVERYONE" who recieved interviews. hopefully, i'll get mine soon. though, i kinda doubt given that they have just recieved my SAT scores, like a week ago to be exact...:laugh:

ANYWAY... best of luck! to "EVERYONE" who recieved interviews. hopefully, i'll get mine soon. though, i kinda doubt given that they have just recieved my SAT scores, like a week ago to be exact...:laugh:

Hey! No, my sister is not on SDN and I don't think she will be until she has some of her undergrad under her belt and starts preparing to apply for vet school.

I'm confused about your situation so please bear with me. I thought you were applying to the University of Hawaii - not the pharmacy school - right? So, do they interview you at that level? I know you want to go to pharmacy school but they don't have a 0 - 6 program (as far as I know). Are you applying to some schools that do? Please clarify cause now my head is swimming!:smuggrin:

I'm confused about your situation so please bear with me. I thought you were applying to the University of Hawaii - not the pharmacy school - right? So, do they interview you at that level? I know you want to go to pharmacy school but they don't have a 0 - 6 program (as far as I know). Please clarify cause now my head is swimming!:smuggrin:

OMG!!! i think your right? i had just double checked and the email i got is NOT from the "school of pharmacy". but, the school itself :laugh::laugh::laugh: see, look?
http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/admissions/adm_reqts_hs.php
UNBELIEVABLE!...:oops: oh, well...i guess i better make some changes to my sig :laugh:

Last edited:
Hey! No, my sister is not on SDN and I don't think she will be until she has some of her undergrad under her belt and starts preparing to apply for vet school.

aww, shucks... would have loved to meet another fellow hSDNer here. ESPECIALLY, one with her stats, of course. but, oh well... maybe later then ;)

Are you applying to some schools that do(0-6 programs)?

yeah, i just got accepted to St.Louis CoP and applied to the University of Hampton as well. but, cancelled soon after hearing from several VCU students that Hampton, has issues, not to mention it's accreditation is under review and bound to expire jan. 2011, to say the very LEAST, that is. oh and finally the other 2[UoP/Pacific], both offer accellerated 2+3 programs AND i'm soooo hoping to get into either one[top choices], and if not??? well, then i'm off to St.Louis...:D but, anyway... best of luck! forrest...:xf::luck::xf:

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and this is my first time blogging. Congrats to everyone who got interviews to UHH and other schools. I've been applying to Pharmacy School for the past 3 years, and I finally got a couple of interviews this year so far. My interview for UHH is scheduled to be on Saturday, Dec. 12th at 11am. Does anyone have their interview on the same day? I also have another interview on that same week (but on Wednesday, Dec. 9th) at Husson University in Maine. That means I'll be doing a lot of traveling and spending, but I'm sure it'll be worth it! I'm still waiting on interview invites from other schools as well. Let me know if any of you are scheduled to interview on Saturday. =0) Best of luck with all apps!

I received confirmation! And got my first choice. I will be interviewing on Saturday December 12 at 10AM. Good Luck to all!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this site and this is my first time blogging. Congrats to everyone who got interviews to UHH and other schools. I've been applying to Pharmacy School for the past 3 years, and I finally got a couple of interviews this year so far. My interview for UHH is scheduled to be on Saturday, Dec. 12th at 11am. Does anyone have their interview on the same day? I also have another interview on that same week (but on Wednesday, Dec. 9th) at Husson University in Maine. That means I'll be doing a lot of traveling and spending, but I'm sure it'll be worth it! I'm still waiting on interview invites from other schools as well. Let me know if any of you are scheduled to interview on Saturday. =0) Best of luck with all apps!

Is your interview at Hilo or Las Vegas? Mine is at Las Vegas at 11:00 a.m. on 12/12. If it's in Hawaii they must have added 12/12 cause it wasn't on my email. Oh well, I wouldn't have had time to make it there anyway with my exams.

I received confirmation! And got my first choice. I will be interviewing on Saturday December 12 at 10AM. Good Luck to all!

Congrats!!! Where is your interview?

Hey guys, got my interview email as well. More than likely going to do Vegas. Just checking with everyone, but seems that school is super super expensive. I mean I did get into a few other schools, but just staying in Hawaii sounds so awesome...ugh the decisions.

How are you all planning to deal with it? I know probably loans and what not. But at ~18k a semester..attending will leave you in the gap bigtime. I tried to find out info about becoming a Hawaiian resident, but the lady said, as a Student, you couldn't become a resident hawaii AND attend school full time.

Anyways, figure i'd ask how you guys are planning to deal with this.

Thanks!

Ray

Hey guys, got my interview email as well. More than likely going to do Vegas. Just checking with everyone, but seems that school is super super expensive. I mean I did get into a few other schools, but just staying in Hawaii sounds so awesome...ugh the decisions.

How are you all planning to deal with it? I know probably loans and what not. But at ~18k a semester..attending will leave you in the gap bigtime. I tried to find out info about becoming a Hawaiian resident, but the lady said, as a Student, you couldn't become a resident hawaii AND attend school full time.

Anyways, figure i'd ask how you guys are planning to deal with this.

Thanks!

Ray

Hey Ray,

Not only is the tuition high. But the cost of living in Hawaii is also high. SO.... right now the only way I see us making it is student loans and my husband's income. But it is scary, because he will need to find a comparable job.

Hey Ray,

Not only is the tuition high. But the cost of living in Hawaii is also high. SO.... right now the only way I see us making it is student loans and my husband's income. But it is scary, because he will need to find a comparable job.

I plan to finance everything through student loans and my savings. I'm not sure about the cost of living in Hilo as being high because when I did some preliminary research the rentals available were very comparable to Tallahassee where I'm currently in school. I saw some great deals ranging from $400 - $600 which seem reasonable to me... Of course, I've never been there so if I'm accepted and elect to attend I will do a LOT more research!

Your interview is an hour before mine!:D

Yayyyy! I received an invite to interview today!! I'm so excited!:laugh: Unfortunately, I'll be choosing to interview in Vegas instead of Hilo next month. Oh boy, the anxiety begins!

congrats everyone!! anyone interviewing at UH Hilo?? I'll be there on 12/11 :)
any interview tips? i can feel the knots in my stomach already >.<

I just received my invite last night! I'll be going to the Vegas interview. Has anybody found out what time and day their interview is? I just sent my inteview rankings back to Hilo. I hope I get my first choice.

Thanks everyone! My interview is on Saturday at 11am in Vegas.

Yes, it'll be an intense week for me but will be well worth it. I'm actually flying into Maine first before Vegas. I had to cancel my flight from Maine back to Ga yesterday. Instead, I'll be flying to Vegas from Maine and then fly back to Ga when I'm done. I feel like I'll be flying around the entire US next month. Lol

Has anyone prepared for their interview yet?

Thanks everyone! My interview is on Saturday at 11am in Vegas.

Yes, it'll be an intense week for me but will be well worth it. I'm actually flying into Maine first before Vegas. I had to cancel my flight from Maine back to Ga yesterday. Instead, I'll be flying to Vegas from Maine and then fly back to Ga when I'm done. I feel like I'll be flying around the entire US next month. Lol

Has anyone prepared for their interview yet?

Rx girl, - I'm confused! My interview is also at 11:00 a.m. in Vegas on 12/12. Maybe they interview one of us while the other does the writing sample and then switch?:idea:

No, I haven't prepared yet but I did review the interview feedback from Hilo a few months ago so I'll look over my notes when I have time.

Hey to all, and congrats to your interview invites,

I also got an interview too and I will be flying to Hilo. The interview is on Dec 11th at 9:30am. I was wondering if anyone else will have the interview on the same day or just during that whole week because I think I will stay there for a couple days, and see what this wonderful island has to offer and what i could offer as well. I tried to see what hotels I can stay, but I really don't know the full scope you know!!! Is it cool if we try to contact some Students there, maybe they can help us, and who knows, maybe they could let us sleep in their dorms or apartments, that way, we can save some money. It would be really cool to meet up with some of you guys and gals taking the interview, I think if anything, we will help each other prepare. I am from Atlanta, GA, so this will be one of the biggest and exciting trips I will ever take.

Hey Forest,

I think there's going to be more than one person conducting the interviews. Hence, the reason why we are both scheduled on the same day and time? Hey, maybe we'll bump heads there! :) Good luck on your interview and I hope we all get accepted! Sounds like everyone is dedicated to pursuing this career! :)

Hey to all, and congrats to your interview invites,

I also got an interview too and I will be flying to Hilo. The interview is on Dec 11th at 9:30am. I was wondering if anyone else will have the interview on the same day or just during that whole week because I think I will stay there for a couple days, and see what this wonderful island has to offer and what i could offer as well. I tried to see what hotels I can stay, but I really don't know the full scope you know!!! Is it cool if we try to contact some Students there, maybe they can help us, and who knows, maybe they could let us sleep in their dorms or apartments, that way, we can save some money. It would be really cool to meet up with some of you guys and gals taking the interview, I think if anything, we will help each other prepare. I am from Atlanta, GA, so this will be one of the biggest and exciting trips I will ever take.
[/QUOT

Hey chocolate! I'm also from Ga but in Macon. Good luck in Hilo!