University of Florida c/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
o wow when did they change it to class of 2012? were we supposed to get something in the mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't wait for April & Second Look to be here already...I'm getting jacked just thinking about it!

any of you guys know when we will receive our financial aid package:idea:

any of you guys know when we will receive our financial aid package:idea:

I have no idea. I've talked to Eileen in the financial aid office, though. She says for now to just do the FAFSA and to include your parents information if you want to be included for need-based aid. Hopefully we'll all get some scholarship money!

Can't wait for April & Second Look to be here already...I'm getting jacked just thinking about it!

I can't wait either! Sometimes I am still in disbelief that I am going to be a gator and that I am going to medical school. It feels like yesterday when I was sitting in Chm1 lecture.

FIRST YEAR

BMS 6015 ESSENTIALS OF PATIENT CARE I (4 Credits)

This course is the first in a series of four that teach the skills and behaviors necessary to care for patients. The course consists of two interlocking components: communication skills and basic physical examination skills. The communication skills portion of the course covers the following topics: fundamentals of good communication, patient-centered interviewing, history of present illness, review of systems, past medical history, and recognizing and responding to emotions by employing empathetic skills. The basic clinical skills portion of the course is a year-long introduction to the physical examination. Working in the Harrell Assessment Center, students will learn and practice the skills of physical diagnosis.
BMS 6016 ESSENTIALS OF PATIENT CARE II (4 Credits)

This course is a continuation of Essentials of Patient Care I. Continuing sessions in basic clinical skills will advance the student?s expertise in the performance of the physical examination. This course also features small groups, led by faculty members in the Department of Medicine, that focus on clinical evaluation. Students learn to integrate the medical history and physical examination findings to develop clear, concise case presentations.
BMS 6828 INTERDISCIPLINARY FAMILY HEALTH I (2 Credits)

The Interdisciplinary Family Health course includes students and faculty from six colleges in the Health Science Center and demonstrates a shared mission of collaborative training that features case discussions and home visits with volunteer community families. The program?s learning objectives are focused on core curriculum areas that exist in most healthcare disciplines: developing interviewing skills, assessing family systems, and learning the principles of preventive medicine. The highlight of the interdisciplinary curriculum is the sequence of home visits in which interdisciplinary teams of students are expected to develop a health care plan for their assigned families.
BMS 6829 INTERDISCIPLINARY FAMILY HEALTH II (2 Credits)

Prerequisite: Satisfactory completion of BMS 6828. This course is a continuation of Interdisciplinary Family Health I.
BMS 6020 MEDICAL NEUROSCIENCE (5 Credits)

This course provides an integrated and multidisciplinary approach to the study of the anatomy and physiology of the central nervous system. The course includes a review of neuroanatomy, neurochemistry, neuroembryology, neurohistology, neurophysiology, and higher cortical function. Sensory and motor system functions are also stressed. The laboratory portion of the course is intensive, allowing students to develop a working knowledge of human brain structure and organization. There also is a strong emphasis on applying basic science information to actual clinical problems.
BMS 6100C CLINICAL HUMAN ANATOMY (8 Credits)

Lectures, case-based presentations, and laboratory dissections are used to illustrate the anatomy of the human body. Basic anatomical principles and relationships are presented in a regional approach. Embryological case-based presentations are also presented in a systematic format to assist students in learning pertinent aspects of normal and abnormal human developmental anatomy. The course is integrated with the Anatomy by Diagnostic Imaging course and the Medical Cell and Tissue Biology course.
BMS 6110C MEDICAL CELL AND TISSUE BIOLOGY (6 Credits)

The course is designed to teach the microscopic structure and function of human cells, tissues and organs. The correlation of structure and function at the cellular and molecular levels is emphasized in lectures, small group discussions, and laboratory sessions. The application of cell biology and histology to clinical disciplines is emphasized.
BMS 6190 ANATOMY BY DIAGNOSTIC IMAGING (2 Credits)

The goal of this course is to describe normal human anatomy in multiple dimensions (frontal, coronal, sagittal and axial) using imaging modalities available to diagnostic radiologists. The course is oriented to regional anatomy and systematically reviews each organ system. Nine didactic lectures are given by clinical faculty. Emphasis is on self and group study using computer-aided instruction and a set of teaching films. All content is integrated with other courses given during the fall term.
BMS 6003 MEDICAL ASPECTS OF HUMAN GENETICS (2 Credits)

This course is designed to familiarize the student with the medical aspects of human genetics. It presents both theoretical and clinical information related to cytogenetics, population genetics, and molecular genetics, together with a review of its application in the diagnosis, risk prediction and treatment/prevention of genetic diseases. Special topics such as cancer genetics are also covered.
BMS 6204 BIOCHEMISTRY AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF HEALTH AND DISEASE (6 Credits)

A general biochemistry course is a required prerequisite. Lectures, small group discussions, and a gene diagnostic laboratory are designed to build on the student?s knowledge of basic cellular function. Emphasis is placed on the molecular mechanisms that underlie the pathogenesis and treatment of disease. Topics include molecular biology, physical biochemistry, metabolism, and nutrition.
BMS 6500 PRINCIPLES OF PHYSIOLOGY (6 Credits)

The objective of this course is to help medical students learn and comprehend functions of the human body that are essential for clinical medicine. The course covers normal physiology, as well as selected pathophysiological conditions. Concepts are organized by system: cardiovascular, endocrine, respiratory, renal and acid/base, and gastrointestinal. The theme of functional genomics ties the information together. The course consists of didactic lectures covering basic science and clinical correlations, quiz conferences, small group discussions, student presentations, quantitative and demonstration workshops, laboratory exercises, review sessions, web-based instruction, and examinations.
BCC 6151 HUMAN BEHAVIOR (3 Credits)

This course presents an introduction to the biological, psychological and social interactions that underline human behavior in both health and illness. Students learn to conduct medical and psychiatric interviews, perform the mental status examination, and identify the variety of psychological responses to stressors and disease. Discussions include alcoholism, substance abuse, the impaired physician, human sexuality, and an introduction to psychiatric treatment. Small group teaching is devoted to demonstrations and patient interviews.
BCC 6173 INTRODUCTION TO CLINICAL PRACTICE (3 Credits)

During this course, students are assigned to a physician preceptor who practices primary care medicine. Students spend three weeks on location with the physician and have many opportunities to utilize their interview and physical examination skills.

http://www.med.ufl.edu/oea/osa/cat-1yr_2yr_course_description.shtml

To say that it looks like we're gonna be busy, would be the under-statement of the year...

...Bring it on:D

Almost 99% sure that 2nd look will be held April 24 through the 26th! :cool:
I think I'll buy an orange tie, haha!

Can anyone guess as to when they will notify people on hold? "April" is just not precise enough for me.

Can anyone guess as to when they will notify people on hold? "April" is just not precise enough for me.

I am guessing they will notify everyone in early/mid April as the second look weekend is scheduled for the last weekend of April.

I think that's why this thread is so dead. Sounds like there really aren't a lot of people accepted at this point.

Soflknight, I bet the common cold will be a pandemic by April :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with tertbutyl.. Im pretty sure theyll either send you an acceptance or spot on the waitlist by mid March.

Also, anyone else wish second look was sooner? The last couple of months have moved by at a snail's pace..

I agree with tertbutyl.. Im pretty sure theyll either send you an acceptance or spot on the waitlist by mid March.

Also, anyone else wish second look was sooner? The last couple of months have moved by at a snail's pace..

Yes, oh boy I can't wait for my acceptance to come. LOL, I really don't think I'll be getting one but I am waiting to see.

I second the time period being mid to late March when people "on hold" will start to hear back. The bulk of acceptances are confirmed right before the second look weekend (April 25-26). At least that's how it was last year :)

Tertbutyl & SoFlaKnight- I'm loving the new avatars. :laugh:

I interviewed and was accepted back in January, and I can't wait until Second Look. It's still ~7 weeks away! I wish we had Second Look and our financial aid packages a lot earlier, but I understand how incredibly complex the process is.

For any current med students: Many people have the perception that UF has an extremely competitive atmosphere. In your experience, how intense is the competition among students? What made you choose UF?

I interviewed and was accepted back in January, and I can't wait until Second Look. It's still ~7 weeks away! I wish we had Second Look and our financial aid packages a lot earlier, but I understand how incredibly complex the process is.

For any current med students: Many people have the perception that UF has an extremely competitive atmosphere. In your experience, how intense is the competition among students? What made you choose UF?

You know, I had a similar question. I asked a current medical student at UF and I got this response (I hope they don't mind me posting this on here!):

<i>Just prepare yourself that medical school is very competitive (depending on residencies you are wanting to attain). This was a shock to me and I had to adjust. I thought it was collegial learning, but they need to separate the class somehow for residency programs to distinguish each individual academically wiithin a class. So, unfortunately, this compeitiveness remains in the back of your mind (just like premed).</i>

Competitiveness is a very fluid thing, however. I can't imagine UF med students fighting for front row seats and giving colleagues false information for a test, etc.

I don't view myself as competitive. I study hard and get good grades, but I'm extremely friendly and I help others. We are all here for the same reason; I think the competitiveness comes mostly from within. Like the current student said, some people are striving for more competitive residences and may study more/work harder and others may view that as being competitive.

Hi everyone! I just received a VERY LATE interview invite for this coming Friday, and I'm quite shocked. I have a few acceptances and was not expecting anymore interview action.

My fiancee is a 2nd year medical student here now, so I'm hoping for an interviewer with a soft side!

Wish me luck!

Hi everyone! I just received a VERY LATE interview invite for this coming Friday, and I'm quite shocked. I have a few acceptances and was not expecting anymore interview action.

My fiancee is a 2nd year medical student here now, so I'm hoping for an interviewer with a soft side!

Wish me luck!

Congratulations on the interview invitation! I too had a late interview last year and it worked out :)

You know, I had a similar question. I asked a current medical student at UF and I got this response (I hope they don't mind me posting this on here!):

<i>Just prepare yourself that medical school is very competitive (depending on residencies you are wanting to attain). This was a shock to me and I had to adjust. I thought it was collegial learning, but they need to separate the class somehow for residency programs to distinguish each individual academically wiithin a class. So, unfortunately, this compeitiveness remains in the back of your mind (just like premed).</i>

Thanks so much for sharing the response you received from a current med student! I also appreciate hearing your perspective, especially since we may potentially be classmates next year. I don't want to go to a med school where people spend their time tearing each other down, rather than building each other up. A person who is driven is completely normal, but when it gets to the level of hostility/sabotage, that's not the academic environment I want to learn in. I know it depends on the students that make up our class, so I hope their views on helping each other are similar to yours. Thanks again!

By the way, good luck on your interview D-Bone!

Thanks manok31. I'm looking forward to Friday.

Regarding the competitiveness at UF, it doesn't seem bad at all. My fiancee is a 2nd year student, so I've gotten some quality input from her. It's competitive in the sense that everyone wants to do well, but they all get along really well and help each other out. Maybe it's the weather. I'm from Boston, completed a grad degree there, and people were just miserable most of the time. (possibly S.A.D.?) There's also your typical gunners in the class, but they don't seem to bother the majority of the class. I'm under the impression(at least this is how my fiancee feels) that people realize that medical school takes too much effort to worry about other peoples performance. Worry about yourself and your own studying and you'll do fine.

My two cents! Bring on Friday!!

Has anyone heard anything about movement of those on the hold list. I wish they would hurry...it's getting so close to April.

Has anyone heard anything about movement of those on the hold list. I wish they would hurry...it's getting so close to April.

From what we were told on Friday, the school will compile an official waitlist from those who've been placed on "hold" throughout the interview season. They may also decide to immediately accept more people from the hold category this week in order to fill the class, particularly now that interviews are over. They should be sending out letters this week or next to indicate if you've been moved from the hold category to the official waitlist.

Then it's a matter of time...I believe the magic date is May 15th for people to officially commit to one program or another. Of particular note, a current student told me today that FSU starts pretty early(June??), so once people officially matriculate at FSU (or any other school for that matter), they are immediately dropped from consideration at UF and lose their waitlist status. Thus, more seats will open up then too.

Good luck people. Interviewed last Friday and I'm thoroughly freaking out!

I just received an email from Robyn stating that everyone who is on hold will be reviewed in APRIL:eek: and then notified. What's that about? I guess they are still interviewing? The waiting is killing me!

I just received an email from Robyn stating that everyone who is on hold will be reviewed in APRIL:eek: and then notified. What's that about? I guess they are still interviewing? The waiting is killing me!

Done interviewing...last day was this past Friday (March 14th). No one is waitlisted yet (Read my previous post). They'll be sending out letters soon (end of March/early April) to those they've picked from the Hold category to be placed on the official waitlist. As of now, there is NO waitlist...only Hold category.

Done interviewing...last day was this past Friday (March 14th). No one is waitlisted yet (Read my previous post). They'll be sending out letters soon (end of March/early April) to those they've picked from the Hold category to be placed on the official waitlist. As of now, there is NO waitlist...only Hold category.

Two of my friends were directly waitlisted a couple months ago. They were not put on hold.

Two of my friends were directly waitlisted a couple months ago. They were not put on hold.

No worries Wally47. (Saw your other post.) Hopefully we'll here something in the next few weeks regarding waitlist status. Good luck!

D-Bone,
From your interview on Friday, did you get the impression that more people would be accepted in late March/early April when they re-review peoples' applications (per Robin's email), or was it your understanding that they will just formulate a formal waitlist during this time? During my interview I felt like they were gonna give more acceptances in April, but now it seems like they will wait until the May 15th?
Good luck to you and your fiance being in the same town.

Does anyone remember hearing that over 2/3 of those who are interviewed will be accepted? Hopefully they weren't exaggerating.

D-Bone,
From your interview on Friday, did you get the impression that more people would be accepted in late March/early April when they re-review peoples' applications (per Robin's email), or was it your understanding that they will just formulate a formal waitlist during this time? During my interview I felt like they were gonna give more acceptances in April, but now it seems like they will wait until the May 15th?
Good luck to you and your fiance being in the same town.

We certainly need all the luck we can get! Thanks!

The impression I got from Robyn was they would accept more people right away while they are putting the official waitlist together. I would think they'd have to because I spoke with the Dr. Gessner after my interviews and he explained that only about half the seats are full, so they would have to fill the class completely before worrying about May 15th, right?

So my guess (repeat GUESS) is a number of acceptances in the next few weeks. Then a lull in activity until after May 15th. There's a god few people in my fiancee's class that were accepted off waitlist in June.

Hope all of that makes sense. Any input from others is much appreciated.

Wally47, I don't know about 2/3, but I'd say it's close to that. We're in good shape if we've interviewed and have made the hold list and eventually the waitlist. Fingers crossed.

D, Hope your right. I need to call Miss Cleo to find out for sure though!!

All of the florida schools seem to have done extremely well this year. 20% ROAD is amazing for sure.

All of the florida schools seem to have done extremely well this year. 20% ROAD is amazing for sure.

I feel like you're cheating Wally I feel like you're cheating. :mad:

I might just be echoing the sentiments of others, but I feel like movement will come sooner rather than later. It seems counter-productive for UF to delay filling their class until May 15th. If it were me, I would progressively fill the class as soon as possible, so I would have fewer spots to fill later on. I wouldn't want to offer a bunch of spots late, only to be turned down, and have to still offer a bunch of spots, even later.

My thoughts on when the Hold-ees will start to hear back - which means absolutely nothing. The last interview day was March 14, with committee meeting the following Monday, the 17th, sending out letters that Tuesday or Wednesday. So, at the earliest, they would have started reviewing the Hold list on Thursday, the 20th. Today is the 24th. Around 350 of us interviewed, I would think that UF has paced itself, as far as handing out acceptances, to fill its class after the final interview day. This is taking into account that UF has probably handed out more than 120 already, because of the students who have already withdrawn. Assuming that at least 120 acceptances have already been given out, some of these not filling seats, UF must now evaluate at least 230 students (350-120, if all were put on Hold) for the remaining seats. I would give the ADCOM at least a few weeks to pour over all the applications. Because, after the final acceptances are handed out, and the remainder are waitlisted, the process is basically a lottery pick. So UF wants to be really sure of the last few who will be guaranteed the choice of a seat. I say the first week of April before any of us hear back. Should we start a pool? If so, April 7th for me.

Spoke to admissions office today in brief. There are roughly 130 seats filled, but this does not count those who will eventually withdraw. They currently have received around 10 withdraws and are expecting another 70-80, based on previous years. That said, 130-80 total = 50-ish seats filled. They've also recently estimated that a little over half the class is full. This makes sense based on previous years numbers.

Regarding when we'll hear about WAITLIST, I was told today they are working on it and it should be ready by mid to late April.

In summary, patience! (I have none myself, as the wait is torture!) I also interviewed on the last day, so I pity those who interviewed many months ago.

Spoke to admissions office today in brief. There are roughly 130 seats filled, but this does not count those who will eventually withdraw. They currently have received around 10 withdraws and are expecting another 70-80, based on previous years. That said, 130-80 total = 50-ish seats filled. They've also recently estimated that a little over half the class is full. This makes sense based on previous years numbers.

Regarding when we'll hear about WAITLIST, I was told today they are working on it and it should be ready by mid to late April.

In summary, patience! (I have none myself, as the wait is torture!) I also interviewed on the last day, so I pity those who interviewed many months ago.

130 seats filled, or 130 admissions offers made? Something just isn't adding up. So, potentially 1/2 the class that will attend the second look wont attend in the long run, and half the people who will eventually matriculate wont have the chance to attend. :confused:

130 seats filled, or 130 admissions offers made? Something just isn't adding up. So, potentially 1/2 the class that will attend the second look wont attend in the long run, and half the people who will eventually matriculate wont have the chance to attend. :confused:

Obviously offers made. We're looking at filling 119 seats total after you subtract junior honors and other routes of admission. Once we hit May 15th, I'm sure many seats will open up. Just giving you what I've been told by admissions office. Take it with a grain of salt, but hopefully I clarified that for you. Let me know your thoughts.

Regarding second look, many acceptances at medical schools don't get a chance to do this because they're accepted well into the summer. Also, not everyone goes to second look. Those who do are the one's who are obviously interested, but many who currently hold a seat may not go because they're holding multiple acceptances and are more interested in another program(or they just don't want to see the school a second time).

Wait... this is when people on hold will hear whether or not they are accepted or waitlisted? If so that is a huge bummer, I was hoping to hear something in the next week or two. I guess it will be four or five weeks.

OK- for those of you who haven't heard back yet...just remain patient.

Let's bring this thread back to its original focus- to allow accepted students to UF COM to exchange ideas and concerns about their future program.

Has anyone received the Accepted Students Weekend email? It's hosted by the SNMA & HAMSA. Is this strictly for minority students?

Sorry for posting my concern and that of many others I will leave to your thread, until the good news arrives of course;)

Has anyone received the Accepted Students Weekend email? It's hosted by the SNMA & HAMSA. Is this strictly for minority students?

From what I read on the Office of Minority Affairs website ( http://www.med.ufl.edu/oma/news.shtml ), I think the Accepted Students Weekend is only for minorities. I didn't receive the email, and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not Mexican-American/Chicano, African-American, Native American, or Mainland Puerto Rican (AAMC's definition of underrepresented minorities in medicine). Is the Accepted Students Weekend the same weekend as Second Look (4/25-4/26)? When I talked to Denise or Robyn earlier this month, I think she said they were on the same weekend and that Second Look started on Friday afternoon and ended on Saturday around lunch. I can't remember if that's exactly what she said. Did the email give you any information on the schedule for Accepted Students Weekend or Second Look?

From what I read on the Office of Minority Affairs website ( http://www.med.ufl.edu/oma/news.shtml ), I think the Accepted Students Weekend is only for minorities. I didn't receive the email, and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not Mexican-American/Chicano, African-American, Native American, or Mainland Puerto Rican (AAMC's definition of underrepresented minorities in medicine). Is the Accepted Students Weekend the same weekend as Second Look (4/25-4/26)? When I talked to Denise or Robyn earlier this month, I think she said they were on the same weekend and that Second Look started on Friday afternoon and ended on Saturday around lunch. I can't remember if that's exactly what she said. Did the email give you any information on the schedule for Accepted Students Weekend or Second Look?

Yeah that's crazy- I'm not any of those things either :confused:. Maybe there was a mix up then. But I heard from the Office of Admissions that it's parallel with the general second look; although the ASW starts on Thursday, and the Second Look starts on Friday. I'm just going to go on Friday with the standard program-

Quick question about the Second Look.

Is it a two day continuous event (25 & 26), or is it possible to go just on the 26th (finals are on 25th)?

And this may seem like a stupid question, but do only the accepted students attend, or is it possible for them to bring a family member to take a look at the program as well?

Quick question about the Second Look.

Is it a two day continuous event (25 & 26), or is it possible to go just on the 26th (finals are on 25th)?

And this may seem like a stupid question, but do only the accepted students attend, or is it possible for them to bring a family member to take a look at the program as well?

I am almost 100% positive that you're allowed to bring family members or your significant other to the Second Look Weekend. I think it goes from Friday to Sunday too. But the "Accepted Students Weekend," which is not the same event as Second Look, I don't know if you can bring others.

I went email Dr. Sumners my application for the Research Track Option. This was almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. I was also told that Research Mentor Guide is outdated. So, questions:
  • Does anyone know if this is something you have to apply and be selected for (limited amount of seats)? Or is it something you can simply decide to do?
  • Does anyone know how we should go about contacting potential mentors, or should we wait until classes start?
Any information would be appreciated- thanks!

UF sent out packets regarding the second look weekend and also a curriculum/med student life booklet out.

You can only go on the 26th if you want, as the 25th is just a reception. Guests are allowed too :)

I went email Dr. Sumners my application for the Research Track Option. This was almost 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back. I was also told that Research Mentor Guide is outdated. So, questions:
  • Does anyone know if this is something you have to apply and be selected for (limited amount of seats)? Or is it something you can simply decide to do?
  • Does anyone know how we should go about contacting potential mentors, or should we wait until classes start?
Any information would be appreciated- thanks!

I spoke with current M1's when I interviewed, and they said you can apply for the Research Track during the latter half of the first year.