University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Planning on submitting my application this weekend. LizzyM ~65-67 (PM for stats). For those of you who used interfolio, where did you send the letters?
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know the estimated total cost? I'm enrolled in the program, but financial award packages aren't sent out until April so I still don't know how much we can take out for the cost of living.

You should be looking at a 50k loan. Tuition is 38k, col is around 10-12k

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be looking at a 50k loan. Tuition is 38k, col is around 10-12k
Thanks, but I was looking for a more exact number on the max loans we can take out. I know the med school estimates COL as 25k for rent, food, utilities, which is much more than the actual COL and I wondering if that is the same estimate for this program

Any suggestions/advice on places to live? Preferably somewhere within reasonable walking distance to classes and hospitals.

Any suggestions/advice on places to live? Preferably somewhere within reasonable walking distance to classes and hospitals.

http://www.uc.edu/uchousing/graduate_housing.html

I went for Craigslist and drive to school, but it seems like most of my class live in the complexes listed. Nicest is Stetson (by far), but it's also the most expensive. Jeannie also sends out a guide to housing once the app portal closes and they have a better idea of who will be in the class.

Congrats to all accepted. I sent in a letter of interest today. Maybe that will do something? Fingers crossed, hope I get off the waitlist soon!!

Waitlisted today :/ But I think I might be leaning more towards Georgetown's program, might try sending in a letter of interest just in case as well

Was accepted December/January I believe! I'm excited for the program! I already signed a lease at an apartment about a mile from campus that way I can walk on nice day or take the bus if it's rainy. As far as applying to the medical school I'm not sure if my current MCAT will be accepted by them after completion of the SMP. Anyone know if they make exceptions for the SMP students?

As far as applying to the medical school I'm not sure if my current MCAT will be accepted by them after completion of the SMP. Anyone know if they make exceptions for the SMP students?

This table shows school requirements as far as old MCAT vs. new MCAT:
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/398586/data/mcatexampolicy.pdf

But beyond that, if it expires (determined by each school), it expires. Next cycle, the oldest MCAT UCCOM will accept is January 1st, 2013 (I just added a year to the oldest exam date listed for this cycle).

Was accepted December/January I believe! I'm excited for the program! I already signed a lease at an apartment about a mile from campus that way I can walk on nice day or take the bus if it's rainy. As far as applying to the medical school I'm not sure if my current MCAT will be accepted by them after completion of the SMP. Anyone know if they make exceptions for the SMP students?
Same to all that except I've only put down a security deposit and I'm waiting for the lease to be sent to me. I don't think they will make an exception, but you could apply to Cincy in this upcoming cycle? I'll be applying to med school for the first time in June and it's the last cycle in which I can use my MCAT, so if I don't get in anywhere we can study for the new MCAT together, hahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 3/13
Accepted 3/25!

I feel so blessed. Good luck to everyone!

Same to all that except I've only put down a security deposit and I'm waiting for the lease to be sent to me. I don't think they will make an exception, but you could apply to Cincy in this upcoming cycle? I'll be applying to med school for the first time in June and it's the last cycle in which I can use my MCAT, so if I don't get in anywhere we can study for the new MCAT together, hahaha
Definitely, I set up an appointment to meet with an admissions committee member. It seems that due to the new MCAT they may extend the lifespan of the old MCAT test scores, but I will let you know what they say once we speak. I'm looking forward to the program! I think it will be a great experience!

Accepted today. Originally, I was planning on declining if I were accepted, but I admit that I am wavering ever so slightly. I think I will most likely end up declining. Good luck to those waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, I got an interview for Temple ACMS. I definitely can't say that I will be getting into the Temple program for sure, but I think my chances are decent now that I've gotten an interview. But if things didn't work out with Temple, I don't think I'll be going the SMP route for now. My stats are cGPA ~3.7, sGPA ~3.5; MCAT 33. I was complete March 17th. I haven't applied to med school yet and will be applying this cycle if things don't work out with Temple. I would also be looking to gain research experience (as I have none yet) during my gap year. An alum of this program actually convinced me that doing an SMP would be risky since you're taking med school classes while flying out for interviews. If for whatever reason you do poorly in one of those classes, it could ruin your chances at getting into a med school. It's obviously a risk worth taking for some applicants, but I think I'll back off on it until I feel like I absolutely need to do an SMP. I think I was initially drawn to doing an SMP because my sGPA is slighly below average for the average med school accepted student, and I wanted to present the best application I possibly could before applying since I know reapplicants can have difficulties the 2nd time around. But I'm hoping Temple ACMS likes what they see in me!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance a few days ago. Have heard nothing but good things about the program, best of luck to everyone attending/waiting to hear back!

Are there any stats on students who are accepted into Cinci's med school during the program?

According to Jeannie Cummins' voicemailbox, any questions about applications to the SMP will not be answered in a timely manner due to the volume. To those of you who have been in contact with her, has it always been like this? Because all the threads seem to indicate that she's always happy to talk about an application.

Are there any stats on students who are accepted into Cinci's med school during the program?

If you're asking about percentages of people accepted same year, then:

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-benefits.htm#success

If you're asking about the average UG GPA/program GPA/MCAT of people who have gotten in same year then click here. =)

In the past couple of years they have interviewed fewer people who apply during the program, whilst giving early interviews to those who apply the following cycle. There also been a change in personnel in the admissions office, so how they treat the program in terms of interviews/acceptances is and will continue to be different than it was in the past. For my class (i.e. the current class), ~26 people applied during the program and I think 13 got interviews. 7 people are accepted, 4 (?) are on the waitlist, and 2 haven't heard back yet. They're pretty candid on reasons why they're not giving out interviews if you ask, many of which have to do with bad UG trends needing a full year to be re-mediated.

If you're asking about percentages of people accepted same year, then:

http://www.med.uc.edu/physiology/MS-benefits.htm#success

If you're asking about the average UG GPA/program GPA/MCAT of people who have gotten in same year then click here. =)

In the past couple of years they have interviewed fewer people who apply during the program, whilst giving early interviews to those who apply the following cycle. There also been a change in personnel in the admissions office, so how they treat the program in terms of interviews/acceptances is and will continue to be different than it was in the past. For my class (i.e. the current class), ~26 people applied during the program and I think 13 got interviews. 7 people are accepted, 4 (?) are on the waitlist, and 2 haven't heard back yet. They're pretty candid on reasons why they're not giving out interviews if you ask, many of which have to do with bad UG trends needing a full year to be re-mediated.
Okay, I was just trying to figure out if there was any sort of common thread with who was getting accepted and not during the year. I'm still trying to figure out if I should do a SMP before applying to med school for the first time and I know I would definitely be willing to do it if I thought I had a good chance at being accepted to Cinci during the program.

Okay, I was just trying to figure out if there was any sort of common thread with who was getting accepted and not during the year. I'm still trying to figure out if I should do a SMP before applying to med school for the first time and I know I would definitely be willing to do it if I thought I had a good chance at being accepted to Cinci during the program.

There's no common thread- just write a good application and hope for the best. Unless there's a guarantee, don't count on places giving you a chance for work you haven't done yet. That's the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
According to Jeannie Cummins' voicemailbox, any questions about applications to the SMP will not be answered in a timely manner due to the volume. To those of you who have been in contact with her, has it always been like this? Because all the threads seem to indicate that she's always happy to talk about an application.

I left a message to make sure my transcripts were received and heard back from her the next day. I did call earlier in March with a few questions and she didn't have that voicemail and I didn't have an issue reaching her either. I'm guessing it started beginning of this month, maybe a lot of people have been contacting/annoying her lately? I would leave a message and be polite.

A few days ago I called her due to an issue that my advising office had in sending LORs and she called me back a few hours later. If it's urgent and a legitimately important issue I would assume she would get back to you. If it's just calling to get an update and ask random questions I'm sure that she has more pressing matters to attend to.

I sent in my deposit last week. I can't wait to start this program, and I look forward to meeting you all in August!

Last edited:
I'm just trying to get my application complete and it's been lingering for over two weeks. I'm wondering if some of my documents have gotten lost somewhere. Left a message a few days ago and she still hasn't gotten back to me. I wonder if something's going on or if it's just me.

how hard is it for people to find a paid job in Cinci during the gap year after the program?

Seem like they are keeping the MCAT lifespan at 3 years! Has anyone else signed at an apartment/house yet?

Hi all,

I was accepted to this SMP a while ago and decided to finally make an account here after much lurking. I am so very excited to start this program and delve right into everything it has to offer. I'm going to start looking at potential housing locations after I finish up the semester and I wanted to ask if anyone is looking for a roommate. Feel free to message me if you are interested!
congrats!! what are your stats?

Thank you, I couldn't ask for a better program :)

-Undergrad GPA slightly under 3.0, strong upward trend
-MCAT 33
-Masters GPA 4.0, with some good research coming out of it
-Plenty of shadowing experience
-Good clinical/non-clinical volunteering, but looking to do more
Glad to hear it! Thx for the stats, it helps make this process a little more transparent. I was waitlisted back in January but I got accepted to Georgetown which is almost as good ;)

-MCAT 33

Congrats! seems like you had quite a bit to write about in your personal statement.

-MCAT 33

Do you plan to apply during the program? With your undergraduate GPA, it's to your advantage to devote your energy to school work/volunteering, rather than a huge cycle. I recommend being conservative or holding off. (Though I do recommend every person in an SMP applies to their host institution)

a student in this program right now told me that about 7 of the SMP students were interviewed PRE December...like, before the first batch of med school grades were out. Meaning they already had good stats, etc

another thing i find kind of discouraging is that this same student did really well in the program but was waitlisted by Cinci med. I know this program has "no guarantees" or whatever, but that's still really discouraging...to 4 point the program and then not get in. Life is complicated...

another thing i find kind of discouraging is that this same student did really well in the program but was waitlisted by Cinci med. I know this program has "no guarantees" or whatever, but that's still really discouraging...to 4 point the program and then not get in. Life is complicated...

Did this person have other deficient areas in his or her application, other than (I'm assuming) ugpa?

Did this person have other deficient areas in his or her application, other than (I'm assuming) ugpa?

You know, I don't really know more than that...I probably shouldn't have posted that, in retrospect.

Reactions: 2 users

Any expectation of getting credit for work you haven't completed yet is unreasonable. There was no significant uGPA/MCAT disparity between those that got the first batch of interviews and those that didn't, such that it can be chalked up to them having qualitatively better applications coming in (in terms of grade TRENDS, ECs, PS, etc.). People with recent, stellar, post-bacc performance/upward trends seemed to have an advantage over recent college graduates with a bad senior year, in spite of the fact they end up performing the same/better in the program overall. Having an upward trend means that you have less work to do to prove that you're capable of performing consistently. People were outright told "We want to see more of how you do in the program because of how you finished your undergraduate coursework." Admissions takes a gamble with their first batch of interviews, trying to predict who will do well and snatch them up before they become competitive elsewhere.

After the first interview batch you, just like everybody else in the applicant pool, are interviewing for wait list spots. This is how rolling admissions works. People who did very well in the program last class and waited to apply were granted the first interview spots for this cycle. If you end up coming here, I recommend dropping an app at UC and then heading straight for the admissions office for consulting. This will help structure your non-coursework activities during the program and set you up for a better application next cycle if need be. Be emotionally prepared to have to wait a year, no matter how special of a flower you think you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

According to everyone who was posting here early on, back in Nov/Dec, she was very prompt then, it's just like her voice mail says, she's swamped this time of year. I sent her a pair of e-mails with some updated course work on the 9th and again on the 13th because I realized I'd made a small mistake in my original e-mail and haven't heard back yet.

I get what you're saying here, but what you need to keep in mind the faculty that you are working most closely with in the program aren't necessarily the ones who are going to be throwing your app into the yea or nay pile. All your professors might love you to death, but if they aren't the ones screening your app it's not gonna help until you're completely done with the program and the competence you've shown those handful of profs transfers to hard numbers on your app for anyone to see.

Edit - Oh, and congrats on the acceptance to Georgetown.

Does anyone know if we will be able to identify as in-state applicants for the 2016-2017 application cycle (entering class of 2017)? I am going to try and become a resident of the state but I've read that it takes ~1 year to meet all of the criteria. It seems like I could potentially become a resident of Ohio as soon as August of 2016. If this is the case, I am not sure whether to submit an early application as an out-of-state applicant or hold off until I'm officially a resident.

I know that this issue is many moons away from now but I'm just curious :)

You'll have an info session in the beginning of the program letter you know the deal- you can call the financial aid office for specific information, but your concern is more qualifying for in-state tuition which is distinct from identifying as an in-state resident. I can walk down to the DMV and get an Ohio license anytime, but in terms of getting a cut off tuition there are other criteria to be met. These are subject to change, so I would call financial aid to be sure.

Hi everyone! Former SMP'er here so I though I'd quell some of my wait list anxiety and offer to answer any questions that y'all may have!

Seem like they are keeping the MCAT lifespan at 3 years! Has anyone else signed at an apartment/house yet?
What are you going to do about the MCAT? I'm torn with whether I should retake it before the program and risk getting a lower score/potentially being delayed with the applications I am submitting this year or just seeing how this cycle goes and only retaking the MCAT during the program if needed

I wish you all the luck in the world, everything will work out in the end! Cheesy yes, but I believe it :)

I guess I have one question, it's an extension on my previous question that The Helpful Aye Aye responded to.

Firstly, thank you The Helpful Aye Aye for your response. I'm sure that all this residency stuff will be explained during orientation and I do already have an idea about what is required to qualify for in-state tuition. I find this all very fascinating and a great bonus to the UC SMP (among all the other aspects).

With that said, I am curious specifically about the AMCAS application and at what point I would be eligible to consider myself an in-state applicant to Ohio medical schools. I know that UC has a relatively higher interview/acceptance rate for in-state applicants and I would love to identify as a member of that group on the AMCAS. There may not be a straightforward answer, and different people might meet the criteria sooner than others, but I'll settle for an anecdote :)

The admissions office at UC isn't connected to the program, but they do know you're in it. There has been no correlation between state residency and receiving interviews at UC.

As far as other schools in the state, Toledo and Ohio State have both interviewed people OOS . This may be a case of them being familiar with the program.

What are you going to do about the MCAT? I'm torn with whether I should retake it before the program and risk getting a lower score/potentially being delayed with the applications I am submitting this year or just seeing how this cycle goes and only retaking the MCAT during the program if needed

If you get a lower score on a retake, your ship is sunk... what is your score?

The admissions office at UC isn't connected to the program, but they do know you're in it. There has been no correlation between state residency and receiving interviews at UC.

As far as other schools in the state, Toledo and Ohio State have both interviewed people OOS . This may be a case of them being familiar with the program.

If you get a lower score on a retake, your ship is sunk... what is your score?
I got 34 (12/11/11) studying ~2-3weeks right after finishing physics and OChem, which isn't incredible but not bad. So technically I have a lot more time to study, but more to review

Last edited:
I got 34 (12/11/11) studying ~2-3weeks right after finishing physics and OChem, which isn't incredible but not bad. So technically I have a lot more time to study, but more to review

Your MCAT is balanced and comfortably above average- there's no reason for you to retake. Isn't the new MCAT in effect now anyway?

Your MCAT is balanced and comfortably above average- there's no reason for you to retake. Isn't the new MCAT in effect now anyway?
Yeah, but my undergrad requires a year long social science sequence and I took a psych based one and then I took biopsych and biochem was required. So I've learned most of the new stuff before and just need to review. How hard would it be to fit in taking the MCAT while in the program?