University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you applying to other SMPs? I know I asked that before, but in case your mind changed since then...look into RFU's SMP, your numbers are definitely strong there, and it'll be a solid backup in case Cinni doesn't work out.
I haven't looked at any outside of Ohio yet, but I'm gonna start looking into those options this weekend. I'll def give RFU a loook.

Members don't see this ad.

Also waitlisted.

The whole June update thing doesn't make sense to me. What if someone declines their acceptance in, say, February; would they not update the waitlist until June? Not very convenient for those of us who are considering other programs/job opportunities in the meantime...

See, now im really unsure as to what order they do these things in, you were complete a month before me and we heard back at the same time. Maybe they take all the apps they have marked complete before date X, throw them in alphabetical order and then do every third app until they're done.

Also waitlisted.

The whole June update thing doesn't make sense to me. What if someone declines their acceptance in, say, February; would they not update the waitlist until June? Not very convenient for those of us who are considering other programs/job opportunities in the meantime...

well if i were to guess, you're probably in the top 1/3 of that waitlist. your numbers are way too strong...i'm so surprised you were waitlisted. maybe it was a bad rec letter? who knows. Anyways, good luck. Your chances are good, since many will decline the acceptance (saying this based on previous years' threads). thus the waitlist will get lots of motion.

Members don't see this ad :)
While quietly data-mining is a treasured pastime of mine, I gotta agree with notajock2day. Keep thinking about other parts of your application too for when you want to send in updates.

With N of [#SDN-enthusiasts] samples out of their 400+ applicants each year, you're only seeing a small slice of what goes into their applicant pool.

... That being said, everyone's got to be realistic and prioritize their own application efforts.
If it pleases and sparkles: I estimate that most of our class is in the 66-68-ish LizzyM range.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted today. According to the email they'll let me know if im in the top middle or bottom third of the waitlist in "early june"

Waitlisted today. Kinda disappointed, but oh well! It's not a rejection!! lol

Waitlisted today. Kinda disappointed, but oh well! It's not a rejection!! lol

Geeze, Cinnci isn't showing a whole lot of love to the early applicants are they? Skimmed through last years thread and apparently the class was only 2/3 full halfway through june so here's hoping.

Put in a call today, and Jeannie said that she can't make any predictions yet, but from my numbers & application she would put me at the upper 1/3 of the waitlist. so here's to good news :)

I've submitted my application here. Does anyone think I'm too late?

I am not qualified to give this advice, lol, but I'd say it's not early or late at this point...late would be like April or May. Hope you have better luck than me! :)

I'd agree with ben that you're probably fine applying now. There's no such thing as too late if your stats are strong enough, what kind of numbers are you looking at? (if you don't mind my asking)

Does anyone know if they care about stuff like shadowing? I don't remember if they mentioned it at all in the extra curricular document they wanted for the app and I'm not sure if it's worth sending an update that I've started logging shadowing time since I applied.

If you think there are other things you can add as well, hold off a little. I'd probably wait until around mid-March-ish (just to build up more hours and have more to talk about if nothing else), but definitely worth sending.

I'm not sure how much SMP admissions emphasizes shadowing as a selection factor (most had at least some it seems like), but UCCOM itself definitely seems to care about shadowing more than I would have guessed going into the SMP, so keep racking up the hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd agree with ben that you're probably fine applying now. There's no such thing as too late if your stats are strong enough, what kind of numbers are you looking at? (if you don't mind my asking)

3.62 cGPA, 3.51sGPA, 31 MCAT (retake from 28)

regrettably, I think my stats were just too borderline for schools to take a chance on me. I'm thinking that an SMP would be the good extra nudge I need

Fwiw I had zero shadowing when I applied. There's plenty of opportunity once you are actually here so I wouldn't worry too much about that

I know one other person in our class that had zero shadowing coming in so I guess its not a deal breaker, but I'm sure it helps

Also I don't know if you saw my post from other thread but from few days ago class is less than third way filled

Also there is a useful video by OSU med school on what medical admissions will think about lack of shadowing.

Last edited:
Also I don't know if you saw my post from other thread but from few days ago class is less than third way filled

Yeah I saw that, definitely makes me feel a bit more at ease to know theres still slots to be filled.

Edit: wow, thanks for the above and beyond answer.

Crap. Well, life happened and my whole "apply in mid-January" plan didn't happen. But I got a 33 on the MCAT, which will hopefully put me in the mix here. How late am I if I get all my stuff in by the end of the month?

Crap. Well, life happened and my whole "apply in mid-January" plan didn't happen. But I got a 33 on the MCAT, which will hopefully put me in the mix here. How late am I if I get all my stuff in by the end of the month?
Not late at all. I was complete 3/20 the year I applied. Many of their decisions are made later as the class is generally fairly dependent on what happens in the mad school cycle. Their better applicants may be accepted to med school, withdraw for another SMP etc. I would consider late to be mid-April to the deadline.

Just confirming, there is no interview for this SMP correct? Acceptance is based solely off of application?

Accepted off the waitlist today!! Almost certainly will be attending.

The best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

I am getting ready to sumbit my application right now, but in the summary it says "No" under "Do you waive the right to review your letters of recommendation?*" I can't find any place in the application to indicate "Yes" that I waive the right to review my letters of recommendation. I am sending my recommendation letters via Interfolio. Please help!

I got in off the waitlist today. I was accepted into Georgetown's program too, so I'm debating which one is the best fit for me.

sGPA: 3.0, cGPA: 3.4, MCAT: 33 (10/10/13). I have great, well-rounded EC's though. California resident, so that Ohio residency is looking pretty appealing.

Last edited:
I am getting ready to sumbit my application right now, but in the summary it says "No" under "Do you waive the right to review your letters of recommendation?*" I can't find any place in the application to indicate "Yes" that I waive the right to review my letters of recommendation. I am sending my recommendation letters via Interfolio. Please help!

Hey sunshine. This happened to me, too. I called Jeannie and she said it's just a glitch. Don't worry about it :)

Accepted off the waitlist today!! Almost certainly will be attending.

The best of luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back!

I got in off the waitlist today. I was accepted into Georgetown's program too, so I'm debating which one is the best fit for me.

sGPA: 3.0, cGPA: 3.4, MCAT: 32 (10/9/13). I have great, well-rounded EC's though. California resident, so that Ohio residency is looking pretty appealing.

Congrats and congrats!!!!

Now, I need to get off the waitlist too :D

fingers crossed. How did you guys find out? e-mail?

Congrats to all the recent acceptances!

I didn't think they started pulling people off the wait-list until closer to summer, now I'm gonna be crossing my fingers every time I check my inbox :nailbiting:

Congrats to all the recent acceptances!

I didn't think they started pulling people off the wait-list until closer to summer, now I'm gonna be crossing my fingers every time I check my inbox :nailbiting:
From reading years' past threads, it seems like VERY FEW waitlisted people find out before June, so I wouldn't hold my breath :/

For those of you who were accepted yesterday, when did Jeannie tell you your app was complete? I'm just trying to see how long it will be till I get a response, thanks!

For those of you who were accepted yesterday, when did Jeannie tell you your app was complete? I'm just trying to see how long it will be till I get a response, thanks!

I was complete 11/7 and informed of my position on the waitlist 1/22.

Been a while since I've been on SDN; just got accepted to this program last week and sent in my deposit today!

cGPA: 3.86, sGPA: 3.80, MCAT: 32 (10/12/10)
ECs include 2 research projects at undergrad, 2 research projects at Cincinnati Children's, competitive cheer for undergrad

Excited to meet you guys in August!

Been a while since I've been on SDN; just got accepted to this program last week and sent in my deposit today!

ECs include 2 research projects at undergrad, 2 research projects at Cincinnati Children's, competitive cheer for undergrad

:troll:

Alright, I'm excited to meet some of you...lol

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to do an SMP instead of applying to med school and doing something else in your gap year? From your stats, it doesn't seem like you need any GPA boosting. Either way, congratulations!

I was complete October 27th, got the waitlist e-mail January 22nd. Off the waitlist yesterday! I'm leaning towards Georgetown, though, so I'll probably be giving up my spot. Just have to do a few more days worth of soul searching.

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, why did you decide to do an SMP instead of applying to med school and doing something else in your gap year? From your stats, it doesn't seem like you need any GPA boosting. Either way, congratulations!

Thank you for the congrats and the nicer reply! I don't mind at all; I had a tragedy in my immediate family, and ended up submitting apps and turning around secondaries extremely slowly (we're talking AMCAS submitted early November). I wanted to make sure my gap year was still education-focused, as I didn't want to end up in a bad position job-wise and then end up with nothing to show for the year!

Thank you for the congrats and the nicer reply! I don't mind at all; I had a tragedy in my immediate family, and ended up submitting apps and turning around secondaries extremely slowly (we're talking AMCAS submitted early November). I wanted to make sure my gap year was still education-focused, as I didn't want to end up in a bad position job-wise and then end up with nothing to show for the year!

If you are sincere with your stats, stay far away from any SMP. No pre-health advisor would tell you to drop 50k on a program that you're likely to do worse in than your undergraduate. Do something else (clinically oriented) and apply at the correct time next cycle.

Did you hear anything from medschools? Even applying late I'd assume there would be some interest based on your numbers and EC's.

If you are sincere with your stats, stay far away from any SMP. No pre-health advisor would tell you to drop 50k on a program that you're likely to do worse in than your undergraduate. Do something else (clinically oriented) and apply at the correct time next cycle.

What kind of clinically-oriented activities would you recommend? I'm concerned about finding a viable option that will be looked upon favorably and be an asset for my app.

Did you hear anything from medschools? Even applying late I'd assume there would be some interest based on your numbers and EC's.

I got 5 secondaries out of 9 apps, but no interview offers. I've been blatantly rejected by 6, including a couple that didn't send out secondaries until past their own deadline for them :smack:

What kind of clinically-oriented activities would you recommend? I'm concerned about finding a viable option that will be looked upon favorably and be an asset for my app.

Medical scribe jobs are common and they'll net you money. You can also get a regular job and volunteer at a hospital on the side... shadow doctors? You run a serious risk at a program like this of destroying the good parts of your application. If you apply early, you will get interviews. It is legitimately difficult to balance interviews with the pseudo-medical school course load- not only will you do worse in your classes, you'll have less time to prepare for your interviews.

9 schools is too few... spend the next 3 months getting people to go over your application and school choices too. Rethink your personal statement and secondaries too.

Medical scribe jobs are common and they'll net you money. You can also get a regular job and volunteer at a hospital on the side... shadow doctors? You run a serious risk at a program like this of destroying the good parts of your application. If you apply early, you will get interviews. It is legitimately difficult to balance interviews with the pseudo-medical school course load- not only will you do worse in your classes, you'll have less time to prepare for your interviews.

9 schools is too few... spend the next 3 months getting people to go over your application and school choices too. Rethink your personal statement and secondaries too.

Thanks for the advice! I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place with this gap year. I am definitely reworking personal statement and secondaries, and plan to add more schools. I just worry how harshly adcoms judge gap year activities, so further education seemed like a go-to.

Accepted today! It's one of my top choices so I'm very excited :)
3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA (downward trend), 32 MCAT, URM

Reactions: 1 users
Applied today. 3.3 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 31MCAT, with some publications. Here's to hoping!

Planning on submitting my application this weekend. LizzyM ~65-67 (PM for stats). For those of you who used interfolio, where did you send the letters?