University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They accept applications until June 1st. They always have some slots in the class open on the day the application closes, so potentially you could be accepted outright after submitting your application May 31st. I wouldn't recommend it.

I just received my mcat score, so I'm going to have to retake it on the 26th - I have 80% of the application finished. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my mcat score, so I'm going to have to retake it on the 26th - I have 80% of the application finished. What do you think?

The 26th of March? Good luck! Kill it with fire!

It'll be hard to get in after submitting your application on the 26th of April. But it will be pretty much impossible to get in without having a good MCAT score. Based on reading previous year Cincinnati threads on SDN, not everyone who got in had a high GPA or great ECs or applied early. However, almost no one got in with a low MCAT score. Last year I believe the program director said that the average matriculant to the program had a 33 MCAT, which is higher than average for the University of Cincinnati Med School itself (!).

Maybe you could email Jeannie Cummins and see if you could submit your application but then have them wait to evaluate you until your new MCAT score comes in. That way, you'd be able to be complete right after you get your new intergalactically awesome score, which is about as good as you can do at this point, right?

The 26th of March? Good luck! Kill it with fire!

It'll be hard to get in after submitting your application on the 26th of April. But it will be pretty much impossible to get in without having a good MCAT score. Based on reading previous year Cincinnati threads on SDN, not everyone who got in had a high GPA or great ECs or applied early. However, almost no one got in with a low MCAT score. Last year I believe the program director said that the average matriculant to the program had a 33 MCAT, which is higher than average for the University of Cincinnati Med School itself (!).

Maybe you could email Jeannie Cummins and see if you could submit your application but then have them wait to evaluate you until your new MCAT score comes in. That way, you'd be able to be complete right after you get your new intergalactically awesome score, which is about as good as you can do at this point, right?

actuallyt eh 26th of april so it's going to be LATE! but thanks man, i want to torch this thing
I did email Ms. Cummins, and she's been extremely helpful. And I think I do have noticeable ec's in that I spent a year of my life away from school doing medical missions in an impoverished population.

Thanks for the advice man I really appreciate it and your support, maybe i'll see you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted here, Tufts, and UCincy. Also applied to GT and RFU and expecting to get in. Really trying to decide between EVMS and UCincy. Any insight? My main priority is to attend med school directly after the master's program. The linkage is fairly good at both but higher at EVMS. It throws me off a little bit that they doubled the class size though whereas UCincy is still around 26-28. I would also like to apply to my undergrad and state school, University of Washington. In that respect, I think UCincy would give me better odds but not totally sure on that yet either. Thanks in advance.

I would ask Washington which program they prefer (or even know of). Do you know if they accept mid-cycle updates?

akim6890: Im a uc smp grad from the class of 2012, and a couple years ago I was in exactly your situation: From Washington State, deciding between EVMS and UC. I ended up going for UC, and I'm glad I did. Both are good at getting people in same-year, but UC is better at getting people in same-year at places other than UC (partly this is because theres a ton of med schools in ohio that know the program well, and as a bonus you can get in state tuition at any of them).

Sadly, my UW interview didnt turn into an acceptance, but I do credit the UC SMP with getting me that interview (as well as getting me into medical school).

I can't for the life of me decide between UC SMP and BU MAMS for this upcoming fall. I know the "linkage is better" at UC, but I really am not interested in going to med school there or in Ohio (but I suppose it would be better than nothing). Anyone going to UC in the fall willing to share their reasons for choosing it's program?

I can't for the life of me decide between UC SMP and BU MAMS for this upcoming fall. I know the "linkage is better" at UC, but I really am not interested in going to med school there or in Ohio (but I suppose it would be better than nothing). Anyone going to UC in the fall willing to share their reasons for choosing it's program?

Please don't come to Cincinnati if you're going to have this attitude.

If you don't want to go to med school at University of Cincinnati or in Ohio, that does take away a major advantage that University of Cincinnati has over other programs. The whole point of doing an SMP is to get into med school, and the best SMP for you is the one that will help you get into the med school that you want (provided that your expectations are realistic).

If you're expecting to get into a Cali school or a top-20 school, either fuggedaboudit or don't do an SMP, because if that expectation is realistic, you don't need one.

However, if you matriculate to an Ohio school after doing the SMP program and you've crossed your t's and dotted your i's, you'll pay in-state tuition.

Other reasons that you may wish to choose UC over BU: it gets a lot of people into med school in one year instead of two, it's way smaller than BU (so people are less likely to fall through the cracks), it's pretty transparent about its results, which are good, cost of living during the program will be significantly lower. And the program does get people into a wide variety of schools outside of Ohio, but many of the people just end up attending University of Cincinnati because they like it.

Please don't come to Cincinnati if you're going to have this attitude.

ouuch I meant no offense to Ohio or Cincinnati lovers I've just never been there lol The Cinci program is great and the people I've spoken to have been wonderful and helpful, hence the reason I'm still so distraught over the decision. I take it you're a fan- if you love it, I'd love to know why.

If you don't want to go to med school at University of Cincinnati or in Ohio, that does take away a major advantage that University of Cincinnati has over other programs. The whole point of doing an SMP is to get into med school, and the best SMP for you is the one that will help you get into the med school that you want (provided that your expectations are realistic).

If you're expecting to get into a Cali school or a top-20 school, either fuggedaboudit or don't do an SMP, because if that expectation is realistic, you don't need one.

However, if you matriculate to an Ohio school after doing the SMP program and you've crossed your t's and dotted your i's, you'll pay in-state tuition.

Other reasons that you may wish to choose UC over BU: it gets a lot of people into med school in one year instead of two, it's way smaller than BU (so people are less likely to fall through the cracks), it's pretty transparent about its results, which are good, cost of living during the program will be significantly lower. And the program does get people into a wide variety of schools outside of Ohio, but many of the people just end up attending University of Cincinnati because they like it.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight.

Borges summed it up nicely. If you have the means, I recommend checking out the school/area before making your decision. But during the program you won't have much time for exploring anyway, so the area doesn't matter too much IMO. Any particular reason you wouldn't want to go to Cincinnati for med school?

Borges summed it up nicely. If you have the means, I recommend checking out the school/area before making your decision. But during the program you won't have much time for exploring anyway, so the area doesn't matter too much IMO. Any particular reason you wouldn't want to go to Cincinnati for med school?

That's what I think it's going to come down to- visiting if I can. It's just hard committing to a place for 2-7 years without even seeing it. UC is a great school, it's mainly location. Ohio and Cincinatti is far from family/ friends, extracurricular activities I hold dear, my friend is from there and straight up said I'd hate it etc. Every med student I've talked to said make sure you're in a place you want to be because even though you're busy you will have some time to yourself (I don't expect to have much during the SMP though). But who knows, if I'm able to visit, maybe I will love the school so much the area won't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you decide to visit, I'd be happy to show you around.

You do an SMP if you can't get into medical school without one. Frankly if you are the kind of student who can be selective about which region you go to med school you probably dont need an SMP. Save yourself 40 grand and just do research for a year or work a clinical job (then you've saved 40 grand and made 25 grand, a 65,000 dollar swing).

Hi guys. Non traditional applicant who did a postbac to complete science prereqs. Two MD interview invites this cycle and one rejection so far as well as one school that I'm still waiting to hear about whether I'll be granted an interview. Still waiting on the the other interview but the best I can prob hope for at this point is probably waitlists.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.35

BCPM GPA. 3.70

MCAT first attempt: 26 (9P, 9V, 8B)

MCAT second attempt: 30 (9P, 12V, 9B)

Good LORs and volunteering and shadowing experience.

If I hear from the remaining schools this week and the outcomes aren't good. I'll probably register for a late May MCAT with the hopes of getting my sciences to 11+ and getting a 34. I know my cGPA is probably what's holding me back (even with a strong upward trend), but I figure that a higher MCAT score can always help offset it at least a bit. With this MCAT date, I could reapply on AMCAS in June, complete all secondaries in June and July, and be in the first pile of apps reviewed. I could then start an SMP somewhere this August. I took the MCAT last September and I think being complete in October and November did not help my app.

I know my May MCAT score would be too late to be considered by Cincy's MCAT, but I'm still retaking it in case O don't get into the Cincy SMP ( or any other's SMP, for that matter).

Do you think I have a shot of getting into Cincy's SMP if I submit the app this week? Thanks so much for your help.

Hi guys. Non traditional applicant who did a postbac to complete science prereqs. Two MD interview invites this cycle and one rejection so far as well as one school that I'm still waiting to hear about whether I'll be granted an interview. Still waiting on the the other interview but the best I can prob hope for at this point is probably waitlists.

Stats:

cGPA: 3.35

BCPM GPA. 3.70

MCAT first attempt: 26 (9P, 9V, 8B)

MCAT second attempt: 30 (9P, 12V, 9B)

Good LORs and volunteering and shadowing experience.

If I hear from the remaining schools this week and the outcomes aren't good. I'll probably register for a late May MCAT with the hopes of getting my sciences to 11+ and getting a 34. I know my cGPA is probably what's holding me back (even with a strong upward trend), but I figure that a higher MCAT score can always help offset it at least a bit. With this MCAT date, I could reapply on AMCAS in June, complete all secondaries in June and July, and be in the first pile of apps reviewed. I could then start an SMP somewhere this August. I took the MCAT last September and I think being complete in October and November did not help my app.

I know my May MCAT score would be too late to be considered by Cincy's MCAT, but I'm still retaking it in case O don't get into the Cincy SMP ( or any other's SMP, for that matter).

Do you think I have a shot of getting into Cincy's SMP if I submit the app this week? Thanks so much for your help.

Great sGPA!

If you got two interviews this cycle after being complete in October, which is devastating to your chances, I wonder if you might be successful next cycle without any SMP whatsoever. If you improved your MCAT I would say the chances would be pretty good without an SMP. You must have an 'it-factor' that med schools like, otherwise they probably wouldn't have overlooked your low cGPA and MCAT science scores and very late application But the SMP would definitely help you address your low cGPA.

Great sGPA!

If you got two interviews this cycle after being complete in October, which is devastating to your chances, I wonder if you might be successful next cycle without any SMP whatsoever. If you improved your MCAT I would say the chances would be pretty good without an SMP. You must have an 'it-factor' that med schools like, otherwise they probably wouldn't have overlooked your low cGPA and MCAT science scores and very late application But the SMP would definitely help you address your low cGPA.

It's an interesting possibility. The factor that they probably like is my non-trad background and experiences. Of course, my concern would be that if I improved the MCAT to 33 or 34, and I applied early without an SMP and did not get into an MD school. That would be another wasted year and require a third MD application cycle. I'm about to be late 20s so not getting any younger :) so I might just give up at that point. I'd rather work hard in an SMP and turn out not to need it than to forgo the SMP and risk another poor cycle. It would be less risky if my cGPA was >3.5.

Do you think I would be competitive at Cinci? If not, to what SMPs would you recommend I apply? I'd have the apps completed to any SMP by end of March with transcripts received by first week of April.

It's an interesting possibility. The factor that they probably like is my non-trad background and experiences. Of course, my concern would be that if I improved the MCAT to 33 or 34, and I applied early without an SMP and did not get into an MD school. That would be another wasted year and require a third MD application cycle. I'm about to be late 20s so not getting any younger :) so I might just give up at that point. I'd rather work hard in an SMP and turn out not to need it than to forgo the SMP and risk another poor cycle. It would be less risky if my cGPA was >3.5.

Do you think I would be competitive at Cinci? If not, to what SMPs would you recommend I apply? I'd have the apps completed to any SMP by end of March with transcripts received by first week of April.

I totally get wanting to have the best chance possible for this next cycle.

You'd be competitve for Cinci. Your MCAT is a touch low though. In recent years, the average MCAT for the program has been a 33.

I totally get wanting to have the best chance possible for this next cycle.

You'd be competitve for Cinci. Your MCAT is a touch low though. In recent years, the average MCAT for the program has been a 33.

Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. Any idea what their cGPA and BCPM averages usually are?

I'm looking into the Rosalind Franklin one as well. It appears to be more in my range. What other SMPs would you recommend I apply to? I'm an NY resident and I'd ideally like to attend a SUNY after the SMP, simply due to cost. Do you think going to Rosalind and doing well would give me the same chance of achieving that as Cincy? I know they have good linkage into Rosalind med and they send update letters on your behalf which contain grades, which is also what Cincy does. I'm just kinda lost at this point. I couldn't start it until August so that rules out BU's MAMS program which requires two summer credits in back to back summers in order to complete it in a year. I've heard good things about Georgetown. Sorry if I'm going off topic but you seem to know a lot about these programs and I just wonder what you think would be a good fit for me. Some are well-known, others not as much. Some have thesis requirements (I'd prefer one without this), and some don't.

Any guidance you could give would be so appreciated. I've just been reading more about Cincy and it sounds like it might be the most intimidating and difficult curriculum of all the SMPs.

I always thought I would try to get into Cincy and if accepted, that would be my SMP. Considering you said though that I might not even need one, would I be risking a lot if I could get accepted at one like Rosalind, compared to Cincy? Obviously this is academic if I don't get into Cincy, but if I somehow got accepted at both, would it be wrong to chose Rosalind? I just really like the apparent vibe of it. And it's in a sleepier town than Cincy (1 hour away from Chicago), so less distractions from studying. They also seem to have more non-trads, considering they accepted a 33 year old last year? I just feel drawn to it. And if I did strike out at the SUNYs in the cycle, roughly 70% of the Rosalind SMP class gains admittance into the med school. High linkage is appealing as a hedge.

I'm registering for the late May MCAT today so I'll have a better idea of my application's strength when I receive the score in late June. A 34+ could have a big impact on my app. Thanks so much and any advice you could give me would be so appreciated!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I've heard as well. Any idea what their cGPA and BCPM averages usually are?

I'm looking into the Rosalind Franklin one as well. It appears to be more in my range. What other SMPs would you recommend I apply to? I'm an NY resident and I'd ideally like to attend a SUNY after the SMP, simply due to cost. Do you think going to Rosalind and doing well would give me the same chance of achieving that as Cincy? I know they have good linkage into Rosalind med and they send update letters on your behalf which contain grades, which is also what Cincy does. I'm just kinda lost at this point. I couldn't start it until August so that rules out BU's MAMS program which requires two summer credits in back to back summers in order to complete it in a year. I've heard good things about Georgetown. Sorry if I'm going off topic but you seem to know a lot about these programs and I just wonder what you think would be a good fit for me. Some are well-known, others not as much. Some have thesis requirements (I'd prefer one without this), and some don't.

Any guidance you could give would be so appreciated. I've just been reading more about Cincy and it sounds like it might be the most intimidating and difficult curriculum of all the SMPs.

I always thought I would try to get into Cincy and if accepted, that would be my SMP. Considering you said though that I might not even need one, would I be risking a lot if I could get accepted at one like Rosalind, compared to Cincy? Obviously this is academic if I don't get into Cincy, but if I somehow got accepted at both, would it be wrong to chose Rosalind? I just really like the apparent vibe of it. And it's in a sleepier town than Cincy (1 hour away from Chicago), so less distractions from studying. They also seem to have more non-trads, considering they accepted a 33 year old last year? I just feel drawn to it. And if I did strike out at the SUNYs in the cycle, roughly 70% of the Rosalind SMP class gains admittance into the med school. High linkage is appealing as a hedge.

I'm registering for the late May MCAT today so I'll have a better idea of my application's strength when I receive the score in late June. A 34+ could have a big impact on my app. Thanks so much and any advice you could give me would be so appreciated!

Cincinnati SMP's average cGPA is around 3.4. I have no idea what their average sGPA is but I'm sure it's way less than 3.7.

For whatever reason, if you look at the classes for Cincinnati, most of the people are just 1 or 2 years out of college. I don't think that means that Cincinnati is unfriendly to nontrads, but I'm guessing that many of the strongest applications that they get are probably from California undergrad seniors who had good stats but didn't get into med school because California med schools are so competitive.

RFU takes a higher percentage of its grads than Cincinnati does, but I think that people who go to Cincinnati are more likely to eventually get into med school (90%+ of the grads do).

It wouldn't be wrong to choose RFU over Cincinnati if you got into both. Cincinnati isn't strictly better than RFU; I'd place EVMS, RFU, Cincinnati and Toledo in the same general tier of SMP programs with decently strong chance of matriculation to their host med schools but no guarantee.

The thing that separates Cincinnati from these other programs in my mind is that if you matriculate into Cincinnati med school from the SMP you will pay in-state tuition at a public university for four years. After dropping a ton of cash on an SMP, that will make your debt a little bit more manageable. Also, I believe I'd rather attend Cincinnati med school than Chicago Med School, Toledo or EVMS (although I'd be thrilled to get into any of them).

Cincinnati also has a track record of getting people into a lot of other schools besides Cincinnati. I'm not sure if RFU is the same way. But again, RFU has stronger chance of matriculation into the host medical school (I don't use the term 'linkage' because 'linkage' is formal process where you pick one school to apply to during your post-bacc year at a place like Goucher that has a formal relationship with Goucher and you get a guaranteed interview with that school after which acceptance is highly likely. Using the term 'linkage' implies that things at SMPs are more guaranteed than they actually are).

Hey Gorgeous, I just sent you a PM, and I hope that's okay. Ididn't want to clog up this thread any longer with my incessant stream of questions. The thread is meant to be used for Cincy related questions only, and I don't want those who are waiting on updates on their application status or those who have quick Cincy questions to wade through a post of this length. I think that the questions I sent you are pretty much the last ones that I have. Thanks so much for all your help, and you're certainly a real asset to the forum.

Hey Gorgeous, I just sent you a PM, and I hope that's okay. Ididn't want to clog up this thread any longer with my incessant stream of questions. The thread is meant to be used for Cincy related questions only, and I don't want those who are waiting on updates on their application status or those who have quick Cincy questions to wade through a post of this length. I think that the questions I sent you are pretty much the last ones that I have. Thanks so much for all your help, and you're certainly a real asset to the forum.

go ahead and PM away...whatever you prefer...but i did find your post to be helpful and relevant. you asked a lot of questions that i was wondering too...and gorgeous' thougths helped me clear this up as well. specifically, he pointed out that rfu bms has great linkage (i don't mind loosely using the term) but the downside is that only a few people got into medical schools outside of rfu. that's merely a thought subject to verification - but it helps me thinking. otherwise, i regretted not applying to rfu bms but with their low acceptance to other schools, i'll take my chances. i can easily sift through posts that don't interest me.

Gorgeous is right that cinci does give u a better chance at other medical schools but when i look at the list of schools their alumni get into it appears to be mostly midwest schools...with the majority of them being other schools in the state of ohio, and some from virginia. In the past 4-5 years no same-year applicant has gotten into a NY school. If you are completely set on attending medical school in NY you might have to go through georgetown/BU smp....which is much more riskier and takes an extra year :-/...time for a pros and cons list! lol

Also just so you know Cinci's In-state medical school tuition is a huge huge plus, but make sure you do your research on what it takes to qualify for that. I believe you need to take loans out from within the state of Ohio and show that you aren't receiving any other financial aid for cost of living from outside the state (i.e. from parents).

Yikes! I just realized that the application fee to this program is $140! I guess I did not read the sticky above carefully enough. Uh...that's a problem when I'm pretty sure that I won't get into the program (3.0 cGPA, 3.21 sGPA, strong trend 10-10-10 MCAT). I was hoping to get some feedback on my application after the rejection so I can plan for other programs and so dropping $50 was not a problem. $140? I think I'll apply to RFU BMS instead.

go ahead and PM away...whatever you prefer...but i did find your post to be helpful and relevant. you asked a lot of questions that i was wondering too...and gorgeous' thougths helped me clear this up as well. specifically, he pointed out that rfu bms has great linkage (i don't mind loosely using the term) but the downside is that only a few people got into medical schools outside of rfu. that's merely a thought subject to verification - but it helps me thinking. otherwise, i regretted not applying to rfu bms but with their low acceptance to other schools, i'll take my chances. i can easily sift through posts that don't interest me.

In case anyone was wondering, here is the PM that Ochempwnsme sent me:

Okay first off, thanks so much for all your help so far. You've been great at helping me tease out options for my gap year. Please don't feel like you have to respond to this PM as quickly as you responded to my posts in the Cincy thread. I've quoted liberally from your prior post and broken it up into pieces for me to respond to.

GorgeousBorges said:
RFU takes a higher percentage of its grads than Cincinnati does, but I think that people who go to Cincinnati are more likely to eventually get into med school (90%+ of the grads do).
If your Cincy stats above are correct, and I have no reason to doubt them, could this be the reason why Cincy enjoys the highest success rate of any SMP? Cincy's SMP students have more success cause they entered with higher MCAT scores and higher cGPAs and sGPAs than other SMPs. I mean if Cincy's SMP averages are 33 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, and let's say around a 3.4 sGPA as well, that's a possible MD acceptance app before any SMP work has even been completed. LizzyM score of 66 or 67. Not in California, mind you, but maybe Ohio/Texas. 3.4c/3.4s/33 might even get you into one of the SUNYs in NY if you apply right when the cycle starts.

GorgeousBorges said:
The thing that separates Cincinnati from these other programs in my mind is that if you matriculate into Cincinnati med school from the SMP you will pay in-state tuition at a public university for four years. Also, I believe I'd rather attend Cincinnati med school than Chicago Med School, Toledo or EVMS.
The reputation of Cincinnati is certainly a benefit, because Cincinnati #42 research and #54 NIH. Have heard that roughly the top half of the Cincy SMP class will get accepted at Cincy

GorgeousBorges said:
Cincinnati also has a track record of getting people into a lot of other schools besides Cincinnati. I'm not sure if RFU is the same way.
Interesting point that you mentioned. Indeed, Cincinnati appears to get their SMP grads into many other schools besides Cincy, including the students' state schools. That leads to an interesting question. Why does Cincy do better than RFU at getting kids into other schools besides the sister institution? Is it because Cincy's SMP is that much better regarded? I'm inclined to think not, cause RFU is well regarded as well. I'm inclined to think the reason you don't hear about most RFU SMPers matriculating at other schools is because RFU has much lower entrance stats on average for their SMP than does Cincy. Cincy is 3.4c/3.4s/33. RFU is far lower in every stat. RFU SMP has an average matriculant line of 3.29c/3.13s/28. That's a LizzyM of ~61. That will not get most people into any MD school.

The attractiveness of this program for the average RFU SMP matriculant (as well as the 40-50% that are below the line averages), is that RFU will accept them if they convince them to by doing well enough in the program. In this sense, RFU SMP functions as GPA AND MCAT redeemer, rather than just GPA redeemer, which is what most SMPs such as Cincy do. I think the reason why Rosalind SMPers don't usually go elsewhere is because they wouldn't get in anywhere else. Many of them apparently don't have an active AMCAS app while in the SMP, cause their focus is 100% on murdering the program to get into Rosalind Franklin for med school. 28 MCAT and 3.3 cGPA will be the kiss of death at a lot of US schools except Rosalind (thanks to the high rate of SMP/MD inbreeding). Even more so when you consider they've accepted some people with 22 MCAT's. No point throwing money away on AMCAS.

What this tells me is if I got accepted to Rosalind (and I feel like I have a decent shot with higher cGPA/sGPA and MCAT than their avg's. With a fresh MCAT score of at least 33 but preferably 34 on top of it, I would fare better than the average Rosalind SMPer in the 2014 AMCAS cycle. My cGPA is already .06 points higher than the average matriculant, sGPA is more than .50 points higher, and my MCAT is 2 points higher. If you agree that I'll likely get into Rosalind's SMP, then I'm wondering if you agree that I'd be in significantly better shape than the average Rosalind SMPer, especially with a higher MCAT.

Interestingly, Rosalind Franklin's overall MD class has a line of 3.57c/3.51s/30. With 115 in the SMP program and anywhere from 65-75% of the SMP class matriculating at the medical school the following semester, a sizable chunk of the Rosalind Franklin class every year is composed of SMP graduates. If we take class of 115 and assume 0 dropouts, and take conservative value of 65% matriculation into Rosalind med, that's 75 entering Rosalind med from the SMP. Class size for MD is 190, so 115 enter via non-SMP path. 40% of Rosalind's medical school class is SMPers, so Rosalind isn't really as "low-tier MD" as people think. If the SMPers (40% of the class) have an average MCAT of 28 and the Rosalind average is a 30, then that gives us an MCAT of 31.35 for Rosalind matriculants who are not graduates of the SMP program, assuming I haven't forgotten how to calculate a weighted average.

GorgeousBorges said:
But again, RFU has stronger chance of matriculation into the host medical school. Using the term 'linkage' implies that things at SMPs are more guaranteed than they actually are).
Never realized that there is a distinction in the term 'linkage'. Would you say that Temple's two post-bac programs (BCMS and ACMS are considered to be linkage programs? Quoting from their website: "At the end of the Postbaccalaureate year, successful students (those who achieve a 3.5 GPA and a MCAT score of 30 with no score below 8) matriculate to the MD Degree Program. To date, 91% have matriculated into TUSM, 6% have been accepted into other health professions and osteopathic medical schools, and 2% have returned to their previous careers." Many students in these programs don't take the MCAT until the middle of the program or before it is complete. They welcome applications from those who have already taken the MCAT, however.

Sounds like linkage to me, and 91% is a high rate. They also require submission of SAT scores but that's not a big deal because I did significantly better on the SAT percentile wise than I did on the MCAT. Of course, I'm so old that I took the SAT back in 2001, before it had a writing section, and when the verbal section still had analogies instead of sentence completion. I'm not sure I fully understand the 6% group (
"6% have been accepted into other health professions and osteopathic medical schools have been accepted into other health professions and osteopathic medical schools.")

Does that mean that Temple allows you to apply to other medical schools while in the program? That is not what I thought the typical process in so-called linkage programs. I thought they lock you in to their school as a condition of the conditional acceptance. If they do force you to attend Temple, that's the only downside I could possibly see to the program, because it would be more expensive than a SUNY. Cost would be comparable to most private schools in the country, however, and Temple is a solid upper mid-tier school. If they don't force you to attend Temple, I see no downside whatsoever if you think I could get accepted and should apply. I already have the 30 MCAT before a retake, and if I get a 3.5, guaranteed acceptance to Temple.

If you add the ability to have an AMCAS app running while in the program and possibly get accepted to one of the SUNY schools during it, it seems like the Temple program is unquestionably the best option for me if I can get accepted, because you shared with me your opinion that improving the MCAT a few points and having all apps complete could give me a good shot at acceptance without a formal SMP (which Temple's ACMS is not). I could be misunderstanding that feature though.Maybe they don't allow you to apply elsewherewhile you're in the program, and the ones that ended up matriculating DO didn't do well in the program and applied DO after completing the program? I'll look into it on here or contact them.

Temple has solid rep although Cincy certainly has it beat in neighborhood safety. Temple ranked 51st USNWR and 64th NIH funding. Average Temple ACMS matriculant has a 3.49 cGPA/3.36 sGPA, and of those who have taken the MCAT before matriculating, the average is 30.2 (from http://www.temple.edu/medicine/ppp/faqs.htm), but most have not taken it.

Do you think I have a decent shot at this Temple AMCS and should consider doing it? My cGPA is 0.14 points below their average, but my sGPA is 0.34 points above it, and MCAT is right at their average. I already have the 30 MCAT with no section below 8, but I'm still going to retake it in late May because I don't know what my plans are for next year yet. Temple has interviews for ACMS starting in May, and they run through July, because the program starts end of August.

Temple has you interview before offering an acceptance into the post-bac, so if you get accepted and matriculate, you don't have to re-interview during the program year. They accept applications until early June and they do interviews for the ACMS program in May, June and July. And if I did get accepted into the ACMS, they build study time and MCAT classes into the curriculum so I could skip all the MCAT prep/study and use that time for extra studying/relaxation. Temple med is expensive but it's higher ranked than any SUNY.

Thanks so much for reading this disgustingly long PM sir/ma'am (I'm a *****. *****'s the name). I don't know how I can possibly pay you back for all the help you've given me so far, not even counting this PM. I really appreciate it so much. If you believe in karma, you've got a bunch of good coming your way.

And my response:

Don't worry, I love talking about SMP programs! I'm happy to meet a fellow SMP stat enthusiast!

Temple ACMS I would consider as linkage, because there's a formal relationship (a 'link') between the med school and the program. I know I'm just being pedantic, but if you want to avoid the wrath of holier-than-thou SDNers then you use that terminology. Temple ACMS is incredibly weird, though. I've heard on SDN that those stats are out of date and Temple's average GPA for ACMS actually higher than 3.5 I would not classify any program where the average GPA is greater than 3.5 to be an SMP. It is an academic enhancement program that seems to only accept people who don't need academic enhancement. SMPs take people with low GPAs and high MCATs. Temple ACMS takes people with higher GPAs who haven't necessarily taken the MCAT. Their average cGPA is less than a tenth of a point lower than that of Temple's accepted students. I didn't apply to Temple because I'm pretty happy with Cinci and I'd need a letter specifically from a chemistry or biology professor (all of my science letters are from mathematical biology professors, who are technically math professors). However, I would unquestionably pick Temple ACMS over Cincinnati if I got into both programs because of the guaranteed admission with a 3.5 in the program.

I have no idea about the people who get into Temple ACMS and then don't go to Temple. That's just weird. I suspect that everyone who didn't end up matriculating into Temple has a unique story for why that didn't happen. Sometimes life just happens or you have a change of heart. I also have no idea whether you can apply to other schools while you're in Temple ACMS. It seems like it's not commonly done, but I certainly see why in your case it would make sense.

You make a pretty good case for RFU. It's undeniable that the University of Cincinnati SMP entering class has really high stats for an SMP. Their average MCAT (33) is higher than the average MCAT for Cincinnati med school itself and probably most med schools! So maybe University of Cincinnati SMP just takes in a lot of people who are likely to get into med school anyway.

You'll be in better shape than the average RFU SMPer MCAT-wise, but your performance in the program will likely matter more than your undergraduate GPA (that's kind of the point, right?). But still, your sGPA is awesome and I'm sure it will help you at least some. Based on your stats and the fact that you must have good ECs for med schools to show you interview love, I'd be shocked if you didn't get into RFU.

It didn't dawn on me how huge the chunk of the Chicago Medical School class is that enters via the SMP!

'Reputation' of SMPs among medical schools other than the host school is almost impossible to measure. But I still think Cinci is better at it than RFU is. The program is more geared toward applying to med schools other than Cinci. I figure there is probably more interview practice, the program director writes better update letters, etc..

I actually don't know what Cincinnati's average science GPA is.

If you're so adamant about getting in next cycle and not wasting another year, what do you think about EVMS? They an 85% same-year admit rate. It might be going down though, as they're gradually expanding the program so there might be more people for the same amount of slots in EVMS' class. Also, if you get waitlisted from the other school that you interviewed with, you might want to consider Tulane ACP.

I'm visiting Cincinnati this Friday (I've already been accepted there and paid my deposit), so I'll tell you what I've learned about it.

I'm kind of thinking I just want to make a giant sticky about everything that has ever been said on SDN about Cincinnati SMP, EVMS, and Georgetown, because those are the programs that I applied to (and got into) and the programs that I know the most about. I'm kind of scared that I'd get something wrong about EVMS and then DrMidlife would lay down the law on me lol.

I just visited the UC SMP. It was exactly how I hoped it would be. PM me if you want details.

Hey guys, anyone start hearing back/ know when were supposed to? I just applied today, 3.51 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 30m MCAT (9 V, 10 P, 11 B). Any knowledge on my odds here? Seems like a really awesome program

Hey guys, anyone start hearing back/ know when were supposed to?

That depends on when you applied. I was accepted 2/18 after being complete on 1/28. I don't know about what other people's experience has been. You can go through this thread to find other people who have been accepted and when they were complete.

I just applied today, 3.51 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 30m MCAT (9 V, 10 P, 11 B). Any knowledge on my odds here?

The program averages for last year were 3.33 cGPA and 33 MCAT, according to people I talked to on my visit. I don't know what the average sGPA was. So your MCAT is a little low for the program, and your GPA is pretty high.

Seems like a really awesome program.

I think so too! It had better be, considering it's going to cost me an arm, a leg and my firstborn.

Complete 3/1, Accepted 3/8, and sent in my acceptance/deposit a couple of days ago. Can't wait to be there and meet my fellow classmates. Feel free to PM for questions. Any fb group going for roommates, housing, and other logistics?

you guys who were just accepted.... mind sharing some stats if its not to personal?

I was complete 3/22 and accepted 3/29.

I already placed my deposit at EVMS and I'm waiting on RFU but I'm not sure how to decide where to go.

I was complete 3/22 and accepted 3/29.

I already placed my deposit at EVMS and I'm waiting on RFU but I'm not sure how to decide where to go.

If you go to EVMS Medical Masters, you will likely end up attending EVMS. If you go to University of Cincinnati SMP, you will likely end up attending University of Cincinnati Med School (although there is a greater chance that you may have to take a glide year). If you go to University of Cincinnati (and you've done what you have to in order to get Ohio residency) you will pay in-state tuition for four years. If you go to EVMS Medical Masters and you aren't a resident of Virginia, you will pay out-of-state tuition for four years at EVMS.

Both Cincinnati and EVMS are great programs with high acceptance rates to medical school. EVMS historically has had a somewhat higher acceptance rate, but I decided for financial reasons that a good shot at University of Cincinnati is better for than a great shot at EVMS same-year. Your own priorities may be different.

If you go to EVMS Medical Masters, you will likely end up attending EVMS. If you go to University of Cincinnati SMP, you will likely end up attending University of Cincinnati Med School (although there is a greater chance that you may have to take a glide year). If you go to University of Cincinnati (and you've done what you have to in order to get Ohio residency) you will pay in-state tuition for four years. If you go to EVMS Medical Masters and you aren't a resident of Virginia, you will pay out-of-state tuition for four years at EVMS.

Both Cincinnati and EVMS are great programs with high acceptance rates to medical school. EVMS historically has had a somewhat higher acceptance rate, but I decided for financial reasons that a good shot at University of Cincinnati is better for than a great shot at EVMS same-year. Your own priorities may be different.

Thank you for chiming in. I am definitely leaning towards Cinci for financial reasons. Paying 100k more than Cinci over 5 years to attend EVMS is a big deal.

I think I will be deciding between Cinci and RFU. If I'm going to spend 5 years away from home in California I hope I can at least enjoy where I live. Living by Chicago is appealing to someone like me who has lived in or around SF and LA my entire life. I don't know much about Cincinnati so I am worried that I will get there and won't like it. How do you like living in Cincinnati and where did you come from if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you for chiming in. I am definitely leaning towards Cinci for financial reasons. Paying 100k more than Cinci over 5 years to attend EVMS is a big deal.

I think I will be deciding between Cinci and RFU. If I'm going to spend 5 years away from home in California I hope I can at least enjoy where I live. Living by Chicago is appealing to someone like me who has lived in or around SF and LA my entire life. I don't know much about Cincinnati so I am worried that I will get there and won't like it. How do you like living in Cincinnati and where did you come from if you don't mind me asking?

I don't live in Cincinnati yet, I'm starting in the fall! But I have lived in the midwest my whole life. I grew up in rural northern Michigan and now live in Ann Arbor.

The thing about RFU is that North Chicago is not the north part of Chicago, it's a suburb that's quite far away from Chicago. You would probably get a more urban experience living right in Cincinnati as opposed to 30 or so miles away from Chicago, which is where North Chicago and RFU are.

for those who have been recently accepted, would you mind posting your stats?

Just got accepted today, looks like the seats are filling up fast for this program.

3.4/33 for those that wish to know. Deciding between this and RF.

those are really great stats, i was just wondering how many letters of rec i should be sending in - i only have 2 so far, and really have no idea who to ask for my 3rd from

Finished my application March 20th, was accepted March 29th.

cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.14 MCAT: 33

I graduated ugrad last may and I spent the last year doing research at a large hospital, shadowing and volunteering. I was also accepted to Regis's SMP, but Cinci definitely has a better rep.

I'm still waiting to hear from Loyola, EVMS, and UMich. If I get into UMich, I think I will attend. The other two are, in my opinion, comparable to Cinci's program, so i'd have to think about it.

Does anyone have any info to either confirm/debunk the rumors that the MS will be changing their curriculum?

The following is from their website:
Read about the master's program in physiology from former and current students' perspectives at The Survival Guide (pdf). Please recognize that some of the discussion of course content may no longer be fully relevant because of the upcoming changes in the MS curriculum.

If this happens starting 2014 does that mean that if an smp student got into their med school that they would have to retake the smp classes?

So next year's med schedule has changed a bit from this year. Instead of doing GI block in the beginning, I've heard that they're going to start off with musuloskeletal stuff after fundamentals. And to answer your question yes, you will have to retake all the med school classes that you've done in smp because the credit doesn't transfer over.

Waitlisted today... Complete April 3rd. Pretty quick response.