University of Cincinnati c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have an interview with UC on march 7. anyone else just as late? really sucks cause i think all the spots filled up really quickly. man, i wonder if they'll have spots left then. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Its better to have an interview than not to have one.....Im sure they will have some seats open or they wouldnt be having interviews

I agree, I don't think late is a problem at all! They are asking to meet you-- thats all you need! Sounds to me like they are waiting to get all their interviews done before they make final decisions... when was the latest date they said you could interview? I would love to know when they will be done interviewing....

Members don't see this ad :)
The guy that did my interview said that they were extending some offers of acceptance but the bulk of them would be given in March or even April.

Yes, as I said before they will do the mass acceptances in March/April. We should be glad they sped it up because a girl I work with said she was accepted in May.

Its only Monday and my nerves have already decided to pop up and say HI!. What a great time to try to quit smoking, lol.

Hope everyones interviews went well.

Txmui, I wouldn't worry to much. I, like others, have heard of people getting in late in the spring. A girl I worked with found out in June last year (albeit waitlisted, but still a member of the class of '12!)

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! Im so excited!

A student at the pharmacy I volunteer at told me one of my interviewers approached them and asked about me a few days ago. Hmm.

Hopefully thats a good sign! I know in my interview I was asked if I thought my managers would recommend me....Since one wrote my LOR, I guess they will get an answer!.

bnw, congrats!!!!! WTG!:thumbup:

got my acceptance letter today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I already know of another person in my classes that interviewed after me who got their acceptance letter as well. Guess I'll be waiting til late March to get my letter.

I interviewed on the 7th and am in Cincinnati.

congrats gmuskie! I'll probably be waiting as well.....

has anyone else heard anything yet....ne one know when the last interview dates are?

:eyebrow: Nope.........its all pretty quiet.....haven't heard about any more invites....guess we'll all hear something in March/April.......end of March no less.

i interviewed with uc at the start of the month and got my acceptance letter a week later. I have also interviewed with UK and MUSC, so I am waiting to find out where I get accepted.
whoever is still interviewing, don't worry. just go in there and put your best foot forward: remember, you have worked this long, and the only thing between you and the admissions letter is the interview. good luck!
for those already accepted, do you know much about the cost of living in cinci and the best and safest neighborhoods to find a spot... i have heard there are certain parts of the city that are no no's...
what about intern jobs and availability, how much do they pay and are they readily available?

Last edited:
i interviewed with uc at the start of the month and got my acceptance letter a week later. I have also interviewed with UK and MUSC, so I am waiting to find out where I get accepted.
whoever is still interviewing, don't worry. just go in there and put your best foot forward: remember, you have worked this long, and the only thing between you and the admissions letter is the interview. good luck!
for those already accepted, do you know much about the cost of living in cinci and the best and safest neighborhoods to find a spot... i have heard there are certain parts of the city that are no no's...
what about intern jobs and availability, how much do they pay and are they readily available?

Cost of living is pretty cheap. You can find a good apt with heat and water paid..which is what i'm at right now..I have a roommate and our rent is 650 and without paying heat our electric bill is only about $10/month. So i pay about 330 + cable and such. I'm in the Hyde Park/Mt. Lookout area..takes me about 10 min to get to UC in the morning. Those are 2 good neighborhoods plus Oakley and parts of Norwood. If you want to be even closer to the school, there are nice places in the Clifton Gaslight area.

I don't know about intern jobs. Times are rough everywhere. There are alot of hospitals in the area..I have seen one posted at the hospital I work at now (not in the pharm) and I have friends who are techs at Target and Kroger who said there are intern openings.

Vale, did you tell UC that you had another offer on the table? In my interview, they told me that things could be expedited possibly if you had an offer so you knew where you stood instead of waiting.

Hey guys just thought I would update my status. I am in the same situation as Rxlaw. I interviewed at UC earlier in the month and got excepted shortly there after. I had an interview with UK also and I am waiting for a response, but I am about 99% sure that I will become a Bearcat for life. I thought the staff and students at UC were very friendly and it was a very inviting atmosphere. I look forward to meeting someone of you guys in the fall and best wishes to everyone. For you guys who haven't heard anything. don't give up!! Hard work and perseverance will pay off in the end.

For you guys who live in Cincinnati I have been looking for a good area to live. I know you all have touched on a few places but I would like to find out some more info. I am kind of new to the site so I don't the best way to contact anyone, IM or email. Just let me know.

Anyone who is considering the move feel free to contact me via pm. My cell phone is free after 6 and other than Mondays and Thursdays I can chat almost any evening of the week. Just for the record I lived in Kentucky for over 20 years (9 northern, 11 southeastern), but my grandparents lived in Oakley so I have been familiar with this specific area since birth. I've been living and working here for the past 6 years.

One advantage about the job thing is that the "greater Cincinnati" area is pretty huge in shear size. I've worked in both Kentucky and Ohio and to this day still have a PRN job in KY. Krogers is based here so there are a lot of retail opportunities available there. Walgreens and Cvs are in every little suburbs with new ones coming open in the suburban growth areas. There are several hospitals close to campus with several more within a 20 to 30 minute drive. Also you will be able to do some networking in June if you do your "shadowing" experience in the local area. (I'm not sure how that works exactly, where they send you).

I'm pretty excited about the possibility of becoming classmates with some of you. I know I'm in the March/April bulk decision group, probably because of my gpa. But I rocked the interview and instantly bonded with the professor I interviewed with. I've done the best I can for now, its just this waiting thing driving me nuts. I've become OCD about checking my mailbox daily and if anyone else has I'm hunting the mail down....

Good luck everyone. Remember from last years stats it took 180 offers to yield 96 students. http://pharmacy.uc.edu/pharmd_phacts.cfm

Treat

Last edited:
anyone feel free to PM me also. I came to cincy 5 years ago to do my undergrad and stuck around so I've moved through a couple different neighborhoods and done the apt search thing alot. i'm even moving again in may because my roommate is moving to chicago.

anyone feel free to PM me also. I came to cincy 5 years ago to do my undergrad and stuck around so I've moved through a couple different neighborhoods and done the apt search thing alot. i'm even moving again in may because my roommate is moving to chicago.

Actually yes, I did mention that I had already been accepted at UK. Guess it didn't make much of a difference.

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for awhile now but have never posted. I interviewed with UC way back in December and have not heard anything from them yet. It's a bummer hearing people getting acceptance letters a week after their interviews in February, but I'm hoping I'm in the March/April selection. I'm confident in everything I put forward except my interview; it felt more like an interrogation than a conversation.

I've lived here in Cincinnati for about 9 years now and I'd like to stick around for alot longer.

Best of luck to all of you! Maybe UC will have a change of heart and mail out the letters sooner than expected. Or not.

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for awhile now but have never posted. I interviewed with UC way back in December and have not heard anything from them yet. It's a bummer hearing people getting acceptance letters a week after their interviews in February, but I'm hoping I'm in the March/April selection. I'm confident in everything I put forward except my interview; it felt more like an interrogation than a conversation.

I've lived here in Cincinnati for about 9 years now and I'd like to stick around for alot longer.

Best of luck to all of you! Maybe UC will have a change of heart and mail out the letters sooner than expected. Or not.

Your name sounds like what I think about my Organic class.

I actually do not mind synthesis. Some days I enjoy it actually, but lately there has been too much and I just want to know if I'm getting accepted to UC which makes it hard to stay focused.

Your name sounds like what I think about my Organic class.
:laugh: There are some days it's definitely like that? I take mine in the evening......try it after working.......................funny thing is I'm doing better than I have ever done in chemistry.

Vale, did you tell UC that you had another offer on the table? In my interview, they told me that things could be expedited possibly if you had an offer so you knew where you stood instead of waiting.

I also mentioned that my wife was graduating this year and needed to start a job hunt, but like I said, I've still not heard anything from them, so I don't know. I don't think it would be wise of me to call to find out, you know?

Do you think it would be bad to ask for an extension for the $250 deposit? I am waiting to hear from another school probably by March 18th or so but Cinn wants the deposit within 21 days of me receiving the acceptance letter...which was about Feb 17th or so. So I would need to send my deposit this next week.

Do you think it would be bad to ask for an extension for the $250 deposit? I am waiting to hear from another school probably by March 18th or so but Cinn wants the deposit within 21 days of me receiving the acceptance letter...which was about Feb 17th or so. So I would need to send my deposit this next week.

They should give you an extension, this line is directly from UC's FAQ section, just your roles are reversed.....

1. I just received a "PENDING" status letter, but I have already been accepted to other schools of Pharmacy and they have given me a tight deadline. What should I do?
    If you have not yet received notice from all the institutions to which you have applied, you cannot make a fully-informed decision about your academic future. Ask the colleges that have already offered you admission for an extension on their deadline. Good colleges want you to make an informed choice, and should gladly extend their deadlines to give you time to consider all your options. As a matter of courtesy, we ask for you to respond within two weeks of receiving our offer of admission. However, if it is going to be difficult to reach a fully-informed decision within that timeframe, please contact at the college office. We are happy to work with you.

It should work the reverse for us. We need to know what our status is so that we can make a fully-informed decision about our future, not just academically.

An extension would be nice. I was out $500 because I got accepted to a school in December. But getting accepted to my #1/before that, knowing I was accepted somewhere was worth it.

Thanks a lot for putting that up. That really makes me feel better about calling for an extension. I will have to call right away tomorrow :)

No problem...Just trying to help out. It's part of my nature.....

[Vale, did you tell UC that you had another offer on the table? In my interview, they told me that things could be expedited possibly if you had an offer so you knew where you stood instead of waiting.[/quote]

I mentioned that I had applied to UK in my interview but I don't remeber if I told them I had an interview. I don't think it really had an impact on my early decision. I think if you have good numbers you probably have good chance. Just try to remember that they only offer a few seats early on. The fact that you guys got an interview puts the odds in your favor. I wish the best of luck to all of you guys and, as i said before, I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall and then we all can look back and laugh at how much stress we put ourselves under wondering, WHAT IF?

I mentioned that I had applied to UK in my interview but I don't remeber if I told them I had an interview. I don't think it really had an impact on my early decision. I think if you have good numbers you probably have good chance. Just try to remember that they only offer a few seats early on. The fact that you guys got an interview puts the odds in your favor. I wish the best of luck to all of you guys and, as i said before, I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall and then we all can look back and laugh at how much stress we put ourselves under wondering, WHAT IF?

I'm not so concerned about what if, I've already been accepted at UK which is an amazing school. It's just going to cost me 40 grand a year while I'm not a resident of KY. There are just a lot of things going on in my life and not knowing whether or not I start school in August or September, or whether my wife should be trying to find a job in Cinci or in Lexington makes things difficult.

I already know around eight people personally who have already been accepted, not to mention the people on here. So that's already comprising 15% of the upcoming fall class. On top of that, this place certainly isn't the place where all pharm students come, so if there are three on here, there must be at least 6-9 more outside of here. That's ~20/96 people right there.

:scared:I keep telling everyone I know that just because I got an interview, nothing is guaranteed.....Of course being good sports they just tell me that they are sure I will get in... A current student at the COP told me she thought my chances were good, but hey, they aren't the adcom. I have heard of some horrible interviews, and I've heard of people who have already gotten accepted as well. It's really a toss up at this point.

UC has sent out Information Status Letters, which is basically another update to your application. Does anyone know if these are sent by mail or email? At what point do they seem to come in the application cycle? I've heard of people getting them in the past (not yet this cycle) and been trying to ask around, but not gotten any responses.

Good news is March is almost here so we are getting closer to knowing something.

I think they send out the status letter when they send out everything else. So when they send out acceptance letters, they send out the wait list, denied, etc letters all at the same time.

Yeah, I agree illtreaturite1, people think that since I had an interview that I automatically have a position. I wish it was just that easy, and it is hard to explain just how competitive UC is.

It seems that the closer we get to the middle of March the more stressful it gets for me. Today at work I was talking with our intern (she goes to UCCOP) and she thought I had a good chance.

She said the acceptance letters were thick whereas the waitlist/rejection letters were obviously thin, so now everytime I check the mail the big, thick envelopes are going to give me a heart attack.

How's everybody else who hasn't been accepted holding up? :xf:

Yeah, I agree illtreaturite1, people think that since I had an interview that I automatically have a position. I wish it was just that easy, and it is hard to explain just how competitive UC is.

It seems that the closer we get to the middle of March the more stressful it gets for me. Today at work I was talking with our intern (she goes to UCCOP) and she thought I had a good chance.

She said the acceptance letters were thick whereas the waitlist/rejection letters were obviously thin, so now everytime I check the mail the big, thick envelopes are going to give me a heart attack.

How's everybody else who hasn't been accepted holding up? :xf:

Not really true. All that was in the acceptance letter was a letter and a paper you had to send back with your deposit. In fact, mine was even ripped because my boyfriend snagged it from me thinking it wasn't good news because it was so thin.

Not really true. All that was in the acceptance letter was a letter and a paper you had to send back with your deposit. In fact, mine was even ripped because my boyfriend snagged it from me thinking it wasn't good news because it was so thin.

Huh. Wonder why she said that then. Well, thanks, now I won't freak out if my letter is thin.

I'm not so concerned about what if, I've already been accepted at UK which is an amazing school. It's just going to cost me 40 grand a year while I'm not a resident of KY. There are just a lot of things going on in my life and not knowing whether or not I start school in August or September, or whether my wife should be trying to find a job in Cinci or in Lexington makes things difficult.

I already know around eight people personally who have already been accepted, not to mention the people on here. So that's already comprising 15% of the upcoming fall class. On top of that, this place certainly isn't the place where all pharm students come, so if there are three on here, there must be at least 6-9 more outside of here. That's ~20/96 people right there.

I know what you mean. I am also waiting to see if my wife can transfer to Cincinnati. Right now it is looking good, but until we get a definite answer from her regional manager I still have my worries. The plus side is at least we have a chance to attend pharmacy school this fall, it's just a matter of where. I can get instate tuition at UK but even then it is expensive. That is one of the reasons I am choosing UC over UK.

So, I can understand your situation because I am in the same boat. You might want to check with UK and see if they have a means in which you can obtain immediate residency. I spoke with someone at UC this week about my situation and they mentioned this to me. If my wife and I move to Cincinnati and she works in Ohio I have a good chance in obtaining immediate residency, which means I don't have to wait a year before paying instate tuition. Here are some links I found at UK, but I didn't see anything about immediate residency. You may be able to speak with someone about it in the registrar's office.

If you do end up going to UK let me know. I have lived here for a few years and I would be glad to answer any questions you may have about the campus, parking, housing, etc.

http://www.uky.edu/Registrar/residenc.htm
http://www.uky.edu/Registrar/respolicy.htm

It's a new month and tomorrow's another Tuesday! I wonder if the adcom will do a meeting at the beginning of the month to decide on another group of accepted, rejected, and waitlisted students? (referring to ValeUC's post from when he interviewed end of January)

icon1.gif

Here's the process explained to me by one of my interviewers:

1. They are interviewing now, and the ADCOM will meet on Tuesday(tomorrow) to select a few "early decision" individuals to be accepted now.

2. The same will occur after this coming weekend with those interviews.

3. After those interviews, the first main group of admissions will be decided, another 30 placed on a ranked waitlist and others will be denied.

Since February is over, I wonder if they will go through the same process? IE rank and file all the interviews they have done, accept a certain percentange, deny a percentage, and then "waitlist" the rest?

Just a thought. Guess we should all know something, hopefully, by the end of the month.

It has been my understanding over the past month that they simply accept a few every week from the group they interviewed over the weekend and everyone else gets put in the main pool. I think they will meet after all interviews are over (whenever that is), make their final determinations and send out the letters.

added: I can't say for sure of course, but I don't think they will reconsider everyone again that they have not granted early acceptance at this point. I think each week will be a new process and everyone not on the early list will be put in the big box of applications to be picked through towards the end of the month.

Last edited:
Guys its almost time for us to hear something...Wouldnt you think