University of California San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pharmacy is still a great field to go into. Yes the job market is not as strong as it was a few years ago...esp in CA. As a new pharmacist you may have to move to a smaller city and get valuable experience and then move to the city you want to live in long term. The role of the pharmacist is evolving with the addition of new technology, however, school will provide you with the tools necessary to evolve with the profession. Keep working hard and you will find your place as a pharmacist.

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy is still a great field to go into. Yes the job market is not as strong as it was a few years ago...esp in CA. As a new pharmacist you may have to move to a smaller city and get valuable experience and then move to the city you want to live in long term. The role of the pharmacist is evolving with the addition of new technology, however, school will provide you with the tools necessary to evolve with the profession. Keep working hard and you will find your place as a pharmacist.

What you said makes sense. I'm wondering if you are a pharm student or pharmacist if you don't mind me asking. I'm sure I will stay in the field. But I have question for you. Do you have any opinion on whether clinical settings or industry is a better field to go into. Personally I like to work with people, but I also have research background. I'm asking this because as you may already know that UCSF offers different academic tracks to students. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

In Ohio and I just received an acceptance letter dated March 14! I will see all the other accepted students who are attending next fall : ) Dreams do come true!

Members don't see this ad :)
which group were you guys in? i was red! (at 11:30AM)

I was in the blue group at 11:30AM!

Isn't it crazy that such a big part of our future will be determined within the next 10 days or so? :eek:

Same here too. I am worried about the job market after 4 years. And, I'd like to know the attrition rate of the class. just heard about some drop-out cases during P2~P3 and very hard to find intern/ jobs.

Most people who do drop out do it for personal reasons, may it be illness, familial obligations, or whatnot, but not because people are failing the courses. Overall, the drop out rate is not very high. Please view the link below and scroll to "Student Retention Rates High":

http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/03/95...s-ucsf-high-marks-collaboration-and-diversity

Quoted in the article: "The University’s retention rates are among the highest in the nation, ranging from 93 percent to 98 percent for the four professional schools. Of those students who obtain degrees, nearly 100 percent achieve passing rates on nationally normed licensure exams."

It is a concern that job opportunities are thin and internships are harder to find. However, persistence pays off and if your desire is strong enough, you will find a job. Some of my classmates have taken jobs outside CA during the summer just for the sake of working at an internship. Thus, I do not think finding an internship is impossible.

On another note, for those of you who have been accepted, congratulations and I hope to meet you soon! :)

Thank you rycetrix for the information.

Same here too. I am worried about the job market after 4 years. And, I'd like to know the attrition rate of the class. just heard about some drop-out cases during P2~P3 and very hard to find intern/ jobs.

Exactly. This is exactly what I heard. Actually I have been concerned whether pharmacy is a good field to go into as I went throught the application process. I don't want to give up because I wanted to be a pharmacist for a long time. Now I already get into UCSF. it's even harder for me to give it up. Now I guess I just need to pray that the market will turn better at the time when I graduate. Does anyone else have the same concern?

My reason for waiting before I make a decision is because I am still considering other schools, not because I am unsure about pharmacy. Plus I am enjoying just reveling in the fact that I got accepted into arguably the nation's best pharmacy school. :) I want to make sure the school I attend will be the right school for me. Although I do think that you guys bring up a legitimate concern to think about before committing to any program.

Last edited:
Same here!!! Tired of waiting!! I interviewed 2/5 @ noon, red group.

I was in your group that day!!!! I was one of the two guys in our group....I know...the wait is killing me slowly :laugh:

For those people who got accepted (or anyone really), do you know if UCSF cares if you adhere strictly to your planned courses? I know some schools who are really relaxed about it, and some schools who are not. I know that Joel has stressed that they look at every course, not just pre-requisites, but I don't know if that counts for planned courses as well. The reason I'm asking is that I no longer need to take one of my general education requirements, and I don't want to take it if I don't have to. I'd like to ask Joel myself, but I fear that I have bothered him too much already.

Thanks in advance for any help.

For those people who got accepted (or anyone really), do you know if UCSF cares if you adhere strictly to your planned courses? I know some schools who are really relaxed about it, and some schools who are not. I know that Joel has stressed that they look at every course, not just pre-requisites, but I don't know if that counts for planned courses as well. The reason I'm asking is that I no longer need to take one of my general education requirements, and I don't want to take it if I don't have to. I'd like to ask Joel myself, but I fear that I have bothered him too much already.

People change courses around all the time. So long as the GE class doesn't prohibit you from getting your degree (if you indicated you will have your bachelors before entering pharmacy school) or is a prerequisite for pharmacy school, I think you'll be okay. Ultimately, it will be up to Joel and those who review your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a facebook group, search for "Official UCSF Pharmacy Class of 2015," for those accepted and attending.

Last edited:
ugh...the longer I wait, the more I feel like I'm not getting in =\

Same here :(

I'm trying to keep myself busy during these last few days of spring break so that I don't think about it. But we'll see how things turn out pretty soon! Good luck!

Has anyone heard of anyone getting rejections this year? It's been so quiet on that end o___o

Has anyone heard of anyone getting rejections this year? It's been so quiet on that end o___o

I haven't...Which is kind of weird...Makes me think that they haven't sent out rejections yet :eek: which is really scary.

@Serotonin, I feel the same way...I feel like I will get rejected since interview was such a long time ago and some people from the same interview date already got acceptance letter...I don't know if I am thinking ahead of myself...

I am really sad...:( Oh well, I am ready for their decision either way I guess....

I really thought my interview went well...ahhhh....

I haven't...Which is kind of weird...Makes me think that they haven't sent out rejections yet :eek: which is really scary.

@Serotonin, I feel the same way...I feel like I will get rejected since interview was such a long time ago and some people from the same interview date already got acceptance letter...I don't know if I am thinking ahead of myself...

I am really sad...:( Oh well, I am ready for their decision either way I guess....

=[ yeah...lets hope for the best, ucsf is my only chance for pharmacy school now lool...I'm pretty sure I have to reapply next year =\

Don't lose hope, and keep thinking positive. You just might have an acceptance letter waiting for you! Like they said, acceptance and rejection letters are sent out simultaneously, and the order in which they mail interviewees are somewhat random. Plus, don't you think it's much more likely that someone granted admissions will post their results on this thread than someone who has been denied for this round of interviews?

I hope you all get into the school of your choice. Good luck!

This is from Joel's blog:

Once a person is accepted, how closely do they have to follow their planned courses exactly, or is it okay that they omit a non-prereq course?

VERY CLOSELY! Students are offered admission with the assumption that they will complete all In-Progress and/or Planned coursework as outlined on their PharmCAS and Supplemental Applications. Deviating from that plan without approval from our office is grounds for a potential re-review of the admissions file and, perhaps, revoking the offer of admission. Admitted students are provided with instructions on how to request an approval for course changes or drops.

One cannot have a great plan, get admitted, then drop the plan!

This is from Joel's blog:

Once a person is accepted, how closely do they have to follow their planned courses exactly, or is it okay that they omit a non-prereq course?

VERY CLOSELY! Students are offered admission with the assumption that they will complete all In-Progress and/or Planned coursework as outlined on their PharmCAS and Supplemental Applications. Deviating from that plan without approval from our office is grounds for a potential re-review of the admissions file and, perhaps, revoking the offer of admission. Admitted students are provided with instructions on how to request an approval for course changes or drops.

One cannot have a great plan, get admitted, then drop the plan!

haha yeah, I was the one who posted that question (I randomly remembered he ran an AMA of sorts through his blog). No biggie, it won't be too strenuous to take the classes I had originally planned for if it doesn't get approved.

Also, for those of you who got accepted, does your letter say when you ahve to respond by? I remember him saying something like April 9th, but I can't remember if that's for everyone, or just those who find out at April 1st. I'm currently at home for spring break, and won't return to my primary mailing address until Sunday. Hopefully there's a letter for me there...

Last edited:
wow... I am freaking out now. I made some major changes to my spring classes. But I did reflect those changes when I did the Academic Update. And that was before my interview and of course acceptance. You think they will still revoke my acceptance because of that?

BTW, you have to respond by April 8th. I think that's for everyone. Good Luck!

Okay, I found this quote on their web site:

"We'll send you an e-mail upon completing our review of your Course Schedule Change. Most schedule changes are approved. If, however, your proposed changes might affect your eligibility, we will contact you to discuss the best resolution."

I feel better now knowing that they will work with you. The worst scenario is hopefully that I just have to make up those classes in summer. I'm okay with that.

Okay, I found this quote on their web site:

"We'll send you an e-mail upon completing our review of your Course Schedule Change. Most schedule changes are approved. If, however, your proposed changes might affect your eligibility, we will contact you to discuss the best resolution."

I feel better now knowing that they will work with you. The worst scenario is hopefully that I just have to make up those classes in summer. I'm okay with that.

I was freaking out a little bit too! Thanks for finding that on the website. I agree, worst case I will take the course I decided not to take this semester in the summer.

Don't lose hope, and keep thinking positive. You just might have an acceptance letter waiting for you! Like they said, acceptance and rejection letters are sent out simultaneously, and the order in which they mail interviewees are somewhat random. Plus, don't you think it's much more likely that someone granted admissions will post their results on this thread than someone who has been denied for this round of interviews?

I hope you all get into the school of your choice. Good luck!

Thank you. :)

wow... I am freaking out now. I made some major changes to my spring classes. But I did reflect those changes when I did the Academic Update. And that was before my interview and of course acceptance. You think they will still revoke my acceptance because of that?

BTW, you have to respond by April 8th. I think that's for everyone. Good Luck!

I think that's okay if you put it in your academic update. I changed my courses too with the academic update (I can't even remember what I put down before the update haha), so I assume that's okay since like you said, it's before the interview and acceptance. I think he's talking about adhering to what you put down in PharmCAS with the update. Problem is, I was trying to figure out my graduation requirements, and I put down an extra course when I wasn't supposed to. That's okay though, I can just sign up for it again if I really need to.

I put 4 classes for the summer in my academic update. But now since I got accepted, I really want to just enjoy my summer. :laugh: btw, The 4 classes I planned to take are random classes, not prerequisite at all. Does anyone know if it is okay if I just drop my original plan for summer?

I put 4 classes for the summer in my academic update. But now since I got accepted, I really want to just enjoy my summer. :laugh: btw, The 4 classes I planned to take are random classes, not prerequisite at all. Does anyone know if it is okay if I just drop my original plan for summer?

According to Joel's blog, you should get it approved by the office first, then you can drop it...

It looks like they want people to follow the plan very closely...

http://pharmdadmissions.ucsf.edu/2011/03/once-person-is-accepted-how-closely-do.html

Last edited:
My roommate texted me to say that I got a letter from UCSF in the mail yesterday... I'm just waiting for the flight back to San Diego so I can open them. Longest 6 hours of my life coming up lol

My roommate texted me to say that I got a letter from UCSF in the mail yesterday... I'm just waiting for the flight back to San Diego so I can open them. Longest 6 hours of my life coming up lol

Good Luck! Hope you will hear some good news! :D

my mom got the letter at home and called me at 1am. I was so happy that I couldn't fall asleep until 3am, haha. i hope to see you guys in the fall

Good Luck! Hope you will hear some good news! :D

Oh man... just got back to San Diego... I GOT IN

Dream come true, seriously. This past year has been such a turn of events and luck for me, I can't believe it still. I keep reading it over and over to make sure it's not a mistake.

Hard work really does pay off sometimes!

Oh man... just got back to San Diego... I GOT IN

Dream come true, seriously. This past year has been such a turn of events and luck for me, I can't believe it still. I keep reading it over and over to make sure it's not a mistake.

Hard work really does pay off sometimes!

Congratulations!!!! I am still waiting....the wait has been agonizing....hopefully my patience will pay off :xf:

Congratulations!!!! I am still waiting....the wait has been agonizing....hopefully my patience will pay off :xf:

Hopefully! I actually didn't think my interview went very well, because I said "I'm not really sure" to a few questions and lost train of thought in some of my other answers.

Also, since I already did accept other offers, does anyone know the best way to withdraw their acceptance? I've just e-mailed people in the past, but I only ever withdrew interview offers, never an acceptance.

Hopefully! I actually didn't think my interview went very well, because I said "I'm not really sure" to a few questions and lost train of thought in some of my other answers.

Also, since I already did accept other offers, does anyone know the best way to withdraw their acceptance? I've just e-mailed people in the past, but I only ever withdrew interview offers, never an acceptance.

I emailed the schools to withdraw acceptances. I also asked if they needed a formal letter (just in case - some schools prefer a letter with a signature).

:thumbup: Good luck everyone! :luck: including myself!!!
No more mailing man stalking business after 2-3 days!

Keep in mind:

My friend received her letter, but I haven't received mine. Can I call you and find out when my letter will be sent out?
No. We are committed to sending all notification letters out by April 1st. If you haven't heard from us by April 5th, then definitely contact us!

It sounds like all letters are going to be in the mail by April 1st, not in our hands so it may be a few days longer!

Keep in mind:

My friend received her letter, but I haven't received mine. Can I call you and find out when my letter will be sent out?
No. We are committed to sending all notification letters out by April 1st. If you haven't heard from us by April 5th, then definitely contact us!

It sounds like all letters are going to be in the mail by April 1st, not in our hands so it may be a few days longer!

Oh no! I was expecting to hear BY April 1st. I guess the wait may be a little longer. Hmmmm. Sigh. Good luck everyone!

well it says they'll mail it out BY april 1st, which goes to say that they could mail it out earlier than that date too :laugh: but either way, before next monday! good luck everyone :luck::xf:

well it says they'll mail it out BY april 1st, which goes to say that they could mail it out earlier than that date too :laugh: but either way, before next monday! good luck everyone :luck::xf:

The wait for this letter has impacted the quality of my life in a negative way....hahahaha....I have been a neurotic, compulsive mess for the last month :laugh: Well good luck everyone!!!!!:xf:

The wait for this letter has impacted the quality of my life in a negative way....hahahaha....I have been a neurotic, compulsive mess for the last month :laugh: Well good luck everyone!!!!!:xf:

SAME HERE! :scared:

soo nervous :( people who have gotten their letters this week, what area did you receive your letters?