University at Buffalo GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek:Hello everyone,

I am a sophmore this year at UB and am applying for early assurance in UB pharmacy school. The EA program has a minimum requirement of 3.5 GPA but advise students to take PCAT if GPA is between 3.5-3.7.

A second part is a verbal and writing interview.

For those who got into UB pharmacy, either regular or EA, could you tell me what your GPA is and if, your PCAT scores? The threads I looked around did not really have any information about that.

My GPA should be around 3.60 by the end of third semester and I am really concerned about getting into EA or not. I heard the interview is only a test to see if one can speak and write english. If so ,then many ppl would pass the interview. I don't even know if ppl get if they GPA below 3.8 even though the minimum is a 3.5.:confused:

I am REALLY nervous about this whole thing.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You're about in the same place I was in terms of GPA (I'm a P2 and got in through EA). I ended up taking the PCATs to be safe but since i was over the 3.5 I didn't take them that seriously. If I needed them I just would have taken them over and studied.

The interview is no big deal, they just want to make sure you're serious about the commitment to pharmacy and you have communication skills. The faculty is really nice and this year I believe some of the students will be helping out with interviews (such as myself) just to make it a little more comfortable and answer any questions.

Bottom line: your GPA is just where it needs to be for EA but if you wanted to take the PCATs anyway go for it. Don't stress out about it, keep up the good work and good luck with EA! Any other questions feel free to ask or PM me

Also: your whole GPA is about a 3.6 or your math/science is a 3.6?

-Taylor

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick reply. My GPA would be 3.6 for math and science. Today, I had a P4 UB EA student tell me that she got in with a 3.8 and generally ppl with the higher GPA gets in like 4.0 and 3.9 and that's why I started to freak out.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's true it helps to get in if you have a higher GPA, but really only for regular admission. I haven't heard of anyone in the EA program who didn't get in if they had above a 3.5. I had around a 3.6 i think. You'll be fine. I was worried when I was applying too, even though I knew I had the grades. Have a good semester!

Thank you!

The sheet says to it is "strongly advised" to take the pcat from gpa btw 3.5-3.7 so i should take the pcat anyways? Did alot of ppl do the EA in your year?

Well it's only strongly advised because I guess you never know what can happen in a semester. Unexpected things may bring down your GPA although it's highly unlikely something will drop it so much you go below a 3.5. Like I said, I took it for the heck of it, and if you feel like you should then go for it. If you do, don't stress too much because it's really only a backup if things fall apart.

I don't know the exact stats on who made EA in my class although i'm going to guess around 35-40 (I can check on that if you want me to). For those to made it I doubt many of them took the PCATs to be honest.

don't even sweat it really, i got in after i graduated undergrad with a really poor math/science gpa: 3.1 from Canisius (i am by no means struggling in pharmacy school even with a lower undergrad science GPA.) i had a stronger PCAT overall : 93rd percentile. It was my first time applying too. I know you say that you want to do EA, but even if you didn't get in, there are a lot of us who hold a BS in something. And the UB students who have BS degrees seem to be getting waived from everything.

I think the interview is easy though, if you have the ability to communicate with a person you should be fine. Really thats all my interview was about; the predictable "why you chose pharmacy" questions.

Dont even worry about it

Thank you! How did you study for the Pcat? As well as how long each day for about weeks?months? Congrats on such a how PCat score, 93 is very high score.

Sandy

firstly, my grades didn't reflect what I actually knew in undergrad in my opinion. I did use Kaplan course to pad the score, and it did. Not because they taught the best tricks and tips, more because they helped me focus and put forth a time course to go through the material. But for a total of 2 months was my actual study time, i took it in June after the semester ended so it was my only focus

Hi, im a senior in high school and i was interested in the Pharmacy program BU offers. I was just wondering what the average grades have to be to get accepted into the early assurance program. I have roughly a 85 average and sat scores of 510 on CR and 560 on math do you think the college would accept me as a freshman into the program because i no you would first have to take the pre pharm prerequisite courses