U Buffalo pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goj0hnnygo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i'm entering 2010 freshman at UB, as an intended pharmacy major.
i've got into every pharmacy schools in NY,
but i'm deciding between St. John's and Buffalo.
I'm more towards buffalo, since it's much cheaper, offers
"better" pharmacy program, and i want to get out! :)
however, there are several things that worry me.
if you guy could give some feedbacks, i'd appreciate them!

1. as EA student, i heard if you satisfy all the EA program requirements
(especially GPA), you are 100% guraanteed a seat. is that true?
2. i took AP chem and physics in high school year, just to prepare for
rigorous college work. do you think getting 3.5 GPA would be really really hard? (because if it is, i'd rather go to St. john's)
3. how's school? are there gyms around? does UB has a good surroundings for studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm currently a student at UB and I have the inside scoop for you. The early assurance program and cheap tuition are very tempting. I fell right into the trap and got screwed big time.

Keeping a 3.5 GPA seems like no big deal right? Wrong. At first UB's intention is to get as many "pre-pharmacy" students as possible. But you have to realize that they begin weeding people out as soon as classes start because they only accept like 130ish.

Having a 3.5 is no guarantee to being accepted to UB's Pharmacy school. If you keep a 3.5 through your first three semesters you are granted an interview. If you bomb the interview, you might not be accepted. There is no leniency on the 3.5 GPA. I was early assurance through three semesters and then was not given an interview because my GPA was calculated to be a 3.4

Keeping the 3.5 is pretty hard because most of your professors are intentionally trying to weed you out. UB manages to screw you over because you have to take like Calculus 1 and 2 for engineers rather than regular calculus. Similarly, you have to take physics for engineers (107) instead of just physics 101. This happened to me and because my GPA is now a 3.4 i'm not getting into UB and my GPA looks lower to the other schools I applied to because I took the harder classes at UB.

For early assurance, UB does not consider anything other than GPA. For example, I work as a Pharmacy Technician, as an Academic Assistant for freshmen, I'm in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, I volunteered with Extreme Home Makeover, etc. None of it matters to them unless your GPA is higher than a 3.5

If I were you, I would go to St. John's... I regret having gone to UB for two years everyday. Hope this helps.

i knew that it would be much challenging route than that of
st. john's.
however, UB attracts me more because pharmacy is not 'life or death' matter thing to me.
i do not want to be stay in st. john's for pharmacy,
disregarding other possibilities or interest in other majors that i might have.

from what you've said, i think you got "screwed" because u were with wrong professors. many of my friends told me that professors make big difference on your GPA.
many of my friends are in pharmacy major and they told me that they would tell me the "better" professors, because some of them are just GPA killers.

if i don't make it, what's the big deal?

if you have any feedback, i'd deeply appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I'm currently a student at UB and I have the inside scoop for you. The early assurance program and cheap tuition are very tempting. I fell right into the trap and got screwed big time.

Keeping a 3.5 GPA seems like no big deal right? Wrong. At first UB's intention is to get as many "pre-pharmacy" students as possible. But you have to realize that they begin weeding people out as soon as classes start because they only accept like 130ish.

Having a 3.5 is no guarantee to being accepted to UB's Pharmacy school. If you keep a 3.5 through your first three semesters you are granted an interview. If you bomb the interview, you might not be accepted. There is no leniency on the 3.5 GPA. I was early assurance through three semesters and then was not given an interview because my GPA was calculated to be a 3.4

Keeping the 3.5 is pretty hard because most of your professors are intentionally trying to weed you out. UB manages to screw you over because you have to take like Calculus 1 and 2 for engineers rather than regular calculus. Similarly, you have to take physics for engineers (107) instead of just physics 101. This happened to me and because my GPA is now a 3.4 i'm not getting into UB and my GPA looks lower to the other schools I applied to because I took the harder classes at UB.

For early assurance, UB does not consider anything other than GPA. For example, I work as a Pharmacy Technician, as an Academic Assistant for freshmen, I'm in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, I volunteered with Extreme Home Makeover, etc. None of it matters to them unless your GPA is higher than a 3.5

If I were you, I would go to St. John's... I regret having gone to UB for two years everyday. Hope this helps.

What I can't understand is how taking calculus classes entitled "College Calculus" versus a sequence titled "Survey of Calculus" means the school is screwing you over. Calling the physics and calculus sequences required for Early Assurance "for engineers" is misleading. They are "for Early Assurance" too. Use your head- clearly a more substantial background in those subject areas is warranted.

I also have an issue with your description of "weeding out". You don't know the meaning of weeding out, kid. I can't think of a single pre-pharmacy failure that couldn't blame himself for his misfortune. Each early assurance failure weeds himself out.

Early assurance is attractive. It is not easy, however. The school has never tried to limit the number of early assurance students accepted to the program. The number varies year to year- at times as low as 20/125 and as high as 60/125. These numbers are entirely contingent on the achievements of the students each year. An interview is required by the ACPE, the organization that accredits schools of pharmacy within the United States. The early assurance interviews are therefore required by the ACPE- however "bombing" the early assurance interview requires a student to fail at proving proficiency in spoken English as well as an inability to convey a desire to go into professional pharmacy practice. I can understand why a school would not want to accept those who do not meet these important criteria.

Some specific advice for you, jjbuffalo:

A pharmCAS application would have allowed you to display your other credentials and accomplishments. The early assurance program is narrow in spectrum- and it is because of that it is so competitive. If you had gone to talk to Cindy Konovitz she would have certainly recommended that you take the PCAT as well as apply via pharmCAS in conjunction with early assurance. I know this because it is what she told me in 2006 and it is what she has told everyone who achieved 3.5 +/- .1 gpa who could possibly fall below the requirements in the 4th semester. Early assurance is not the only way to get into UBRx, and it is also not the most common way either.

A 3.4 gpa is still competitive and if you have not already gone to Cindy I strongly suggest you do so- that is, if pharmacy is something you still want to pursue.

I will end with this: This year the early assurance class is as big as it has ever been. The school is prepared to accept all of these talented students- those who have met and exceeded the requirements and have also survived the "weeding" process.

You are completely delusional if you really think that UB isn't intentionally trying to weed people out. Professors say it themselves. Wonder why Janicke isn't teaching Cell Bio? She dished out too many A's and got canned which is straight from the mouth of Cindy Konovitz herself. She offered to teach the course for free and was told no.

Let's be honest, it's a business. They don't mind if you get into the SOP or not because if you aren't accepted via Early Assurance, their solution is for you to get a degree then reapply. Sure, why would they want you to leave and be accepted to another university when they could keep you there for two more years and collect your tuition.

Speaking of the delicious little devil, Cindy Konovitz, I've talked with her extensively about the Early Assurance program. You seem to think that there are alternatives to getting into UB's School of Pharmacy in two years without being Early Assurance? Please do elaborate. Like I stated in my original post, UB's scope of admissions for EA is focused on entirely GPA, whether you want to recognize that or not.

You said it yourself, if you can speak english, they'll take you. What does that say about the extracurricular activities, work experience, community involvement, or character of the applicant? Sure, you got a 3.5 and you can speak a little bit of english?... you're accepted!!! The sad thing is that UB is missing out on a large number of students who will make great pharmacist's one day because their GPA's miss the mark by .1 or .2

On a side note, you do not need to call me kid. Maybe you're under the impression that I don't know what's actually going on at UB or something? Please check yourself because I promise you're wrong. Furthermore, I do not need any of your advice; I've worked hard these last two years and have four interviews coming up to show for it. When you graduate with a Pharm D. potential employers will most likely care more about your character as a person and your capacity to make a great pharmacist than about what your GPA was after the first two years of your college career.

Lastly, to goJohnnygo, I guess this is good that you get to see UB from two very, very different perspectives.

You are completely delusional if you really think that UB isn't intentionally trying to weed people out. Professors say it themselves. Wonder why Janicke isn't teaching Cell Bio? She dished out too many A's and got canned which is straight from the mouth of Cindy Konovitz herself. She offered to teach the course for free and was told no.

Let's be honest, it's a business. They don't mind if you get into the SOP or not because if you aren't accepted via Early Assurance, their solution is for you to get a degree then reapply. Sure, why would they want you to leave and be accepted to another university when they could keep you there for two more years and collect your tuition.

Speaking of the delicious little devil, Cindy Konovitz, I've talked with her extensively about the Early Assurance program. You seem to think that there are alternatives to getting into UB's School of Pharmacy in two years without being Early Assurance? Please do elaborate. Like I stated in my original post, UB's scope of admissions for EA is focused on entirely GPA, whether you want to recognize that or not.

You said it yourself, if you can speak english, they'll take you. What does that say about the extracurricular activities, work experience, community involvement, or character of the applicant? Sure, you got a 3.5 and you can speak a little bit of english?... you're accepted!!! The sad thing is that UB is missing out on a large number of students who will make great pharmacist's one day because their GPA's miss the mark by .1 or .2

On a side note, you do not need to call me kid. Maybe you're under the impression that I don't know what's actually going on at UB or something? Please check yourself because I promise you're wrong. Furthermore, I do not need any of your advice; I've worked hard these last two years and have four interviews coming up to show for it. When you graduate with a Pharm D. potential employers will most likely care more about your character as a person and your capacity to make a great pharmacist than about what your GPA was after the first two years of your college career.

Lastly, to goJohnnygo, I guess this is good that you get to see UB from two very, very different perspectives.

Let me say publicly that I refuse to engage you- you are scorned, and likely with good reason, but I am not going to get into an argument over conspiracy theories.

I will make two points:

One important fact is it is possible to get in without EA in two years. I did it, as well as others in my class. PharmCas is a how you do it.

Also, Admissions does not hide the fact that a minimum 3.5 gpa is required for Early Assurance acceptance. That fact has always been made impressively clear.

Congratulations on your interviews. Good luck.

bwsalvas

Can you guys please comment on the availability and breadth of retail and non-retail pharmacy intern work in the buffalo area?

Let me say publicly that I refuse to engage you- you are scorned, and likely with good reason, but I am not going to get into an argument over conspiracy theories.

I will make two points:

One important fact is it is possible to get in without EA in two years. I did it, as well as others in my class. PharmCas is a how you do it.

Also, Admissions does not hide the fact that a minimum 3.5 gpa is required for Early Assurance acceptance. That fact has always been made impressively clear.

Congratulations on your interviews. Good luck.

bwsalvas

I wonder if they publish what percent of the incoming class makes it to P1 year.

Argentium - it differs by year. Feel free to contact the Office of Admissions and Advisement for more information.

Willrocks - there are many opportunities for pharmacy interns in the Western New York and surrounding areas. Your question is best suited for our Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Professional Relations. Call the Office of Admissions and Advisement and they will put you in touch with him.

wow!!! could not imagine someone in EA complain the program!!! you should try to apply through pharmcas; you will find out the work you have done to be accepted to ub is so much different. There is nothing to complain but work hard!! I am waitlisted for two years without an interview but keep a gpa over 3.5 for 4 years; I took all the engineering course as well!! I do not see any problem if you really put into effort.

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview coming up can anyone tell me what to expect. What type of questions were asked. Also i was told that there is a writing test before the interview. What can I expect from that?

I am here to offer no more contribution to the thread but defend Cindy. She was nothing but an angel to me and a few other students I know. Another professor that plays lawyer over there :barf:

hey just be pure, simple and focused and calm from your side, the faculties present in there are also nice and humble i have been interviewed there and i found that they really nice and wanted genuine people tto work with them.....

I m pharmacy Expert . This was good sharing..

hey just be pure, simple and focused and calm from your side, the faculties present in there are also nice and humble i have been interviewed there and i found that they really nice and wanted genuine people tto work with them.....
Please Share Experience of generic pharmacy..

I was recently accepted for 2016 and had to decline due to the cost of living in a decent area in favor of living at home with my folks....it broke my heart as buffalo is an AMAZING school.

I was recently accepted for 2016 and had to decline due to the cost of living in a decent area in favor of living at home with my folks....it broke my heart as buffalo is an AMAZING school.

I just had an interview there.....the school is indeed AMAZING and everyone is super friendly!

All school weed weak prospects like you.

Just accept that you are not smart enough/study enough to meet 3.5 GPA. There are others more qualified than you to be considered early assurance program. You aren't it.

You've lost your mind......If you have got a 3.4 at UB and you can hack the Calc, Chem, and Physics for engineers, then stay and get an engineering degree. You'll have WAY more opportunities over a lifetime in the STEM professions then you will ever have in pharmacy. UB has killer engineering department. Pharmacy is dying....fast.

Last edited: