University at Buffalo Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, here is my question. I was just wondering if there is anyone who has received interviews from UB and has actually got rejected? Or does everyone get wait-listed if they don't get accepted right away?

Members don't see this ad.

i had my interview friday (march 28) and i just got an email from them today saying i am on the waitlist. BLAHH :( anyone else in the same boat?

I'm on the waiting list too. I had my interview March 7th. Don't stress about it...I met someone at the interview that got accepted and she stated that she had friends waited listed during previous years and they all got in. That's not saying there's a guarantee of acceptance but I know of one particular school that had accept ~130 students and ended up w/ 20 alternates making the class. If you think about it, they probably interviewed about 200 people so there's still a chance of getting in. I'm not going to stress about it anymore because whatever is meant to happen will happen.

I'm on the waiting list too. I had my interview March 7th. Don't stress about it...I met someone at the interview that got accepted and she stated that she had friends waited listed during previous years and they all got in. That's not saying there's a guarantee of acceptance but I know of one particular school that had accept ~130 students and ended up w/ 20 alternates making the class. If you think about it, they probably interviewed about 200 people so there's still a chance of getting in. I'm not going to stress about it anymore because whatever is meant to happen will happen.

Thanks, that makes me feel better =) I'm keeping my fingers crossed!! Good luck to you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would not worry so much about our wait list as you might some other schools- Many high level applicants apply here, get in and then don't notify the school right away (or ever) that they won't be coming even though they have accepted UB's offer.

The "wait list" is more of an on deck circle...I'm not making guarantees because I can't- but every year there are interviews held in the summer for people who haven't been interviewed yet. If you have been interviewed you're in good shape....better shape than I was in last year.

I said this at the social on Friday: People accept their offers, get into other schools, accept those offers and then decide to go to one of the schools. Many times it is not UB, but UB doesn't find out until June when deposits are due and they place phone calls to the applicants only to hear they've decided to go elsewhere.

It is that reason that schools like St. John Fisher have $1500 spot deposits due within days of your acceptance- to filter out people who aren't serious about the school.

I personally was wait listed and not interviewed until July. I recognized many faces on the first day of school from that summertime interview.

It may take a while to find out if you're accepted or not. You won't get a no until mid-August...So it may be a long summer of waiting... Just understand that the school wants you and that the waitlist is NOT a nice way of saying No to you.

-Brian

i know UB didn't accept you till last minute, so when exactly did they let you know? beginning of august? right before school started?? thanks

I personally was wait listed and not interviewed until July. I recognized many faces on the first day of school from that summertime interview.

-Brian
Are you saying that you got a second interview for the wait list?

Are you saying that you got a second interview for the wait list?

No, I'm saying that I (as well as some of my classmates) was not interviewed at all until July.

No, I'm saying that I (as well as some of my classmates) was not interviewed at all until July.
Do you know the number of people from your class that were originally wait listed and how many of them were wait listed after the initial interviews? Thanks!

Do you know the number of people from your class that were originally wait listed and how many of them were wait listed after the initial interviews? Thanks!

I don't know any exact numbers of how many were on the wait list, who got offers and such... If you have any questions call admissions- they may be able to give you some information to help with your situations.

Dr. Hess is assistant dean of admissions...She's very helpful- I suggest any of you call her with any and all of your questions about specific admissions issues.

Dr. Jennifer Hess
(716) 645-2858

-Brian

I don't know any exact numbers of how many were on the wait list, who got offers and such... If you have any questions call admissions- they may be able to give you some information to help with your situations.

Dr. Hess is assistant dean of admissions...She's very helpful- I suggest any of you call her with any and all of your questions about specific admissions issues.

Dr. Jennifer Hess
(716) 645-2858

-Brian

I emailed Dr. Hess and she just gave me the basic info that's on the webpage so I guess I should just call & ask. Thanks!

I just got an email saying I was being put on the Hold list (haven't interviewed yet). Here's hoping enough people accepted and on waitlist decline their offers XD Least it's better than a rejection

Got an email accepting me off the waitlist :D UB here I come. Good Luck everyone!

really?? congrats! im so jealous! now i will be checking my email every half hour :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Sharpy! Welcome to the program, you're going to have a great time, cya in the fall!

Got an email accepting me off the waitlist :D UB here I come. Good Luck everyone!

just curious, when did u interview? and how many days does UB give u to respond for ur acceptance? thanks

just curious, when did u interview? and how many days does UB give u to respond for ur acceptance? thanks
I interviewed end of March, 28th I think. I had 3 that week. They gave 10 days to respond for your acceptance and deposit within 10 days of that. When did you interview?

mine was also on that date :( im hoping if some people decline their offers that i will still have a chance. again, congrats!

Congrats Sharpy! Welcome to the program, you're going to have a great time, cya in the fall!

Thanks ttoping for the well wishes. Do you live on Campus or off? Have to decide quickly which one i'm doing. Any advice you can give me.

Thanks ttoping for the well wishes. Do you live on Campus or off? Have to decide quickly which one i'm doing. Any advice you can give me.

I live in the on campus apartments at Hadley (right next to governors). They are kind of expensive ($625/month) but everything is included and its so convenient to be on campus, especially since Hadley is right across the street from Cooke and NSC. If you can't get into the on campus apartments you could get something at Sweethome. It's technically off campus but its right across the street from the campus and they have shuttles that run back and forth. Any other questions just let me or bwsalvas know, we're both happy to help!

Congrats on the high PCAT...as far as early assurance goes they won't know those numbers until the end of spring semester because the applicants have to keep a 3.5 for all the prepharmacy prereq's....so the number shrinks and grows depending on final grades.

I have no idea how many early assurance kids there are though.

they were alot...but some of my friends in the early assurance program didnt meet the 3.5 gpa requirement at the end of the spring semester..which is good news for those on the waiting list

well i got the phone call this morning! I am accepted to UB!!! WOO! hehe I am ecstatic. Class of 2012 here I come :D

well i got the phone call this morning! I am accepted to UB!!! WOO! hehe I am ecstatic. Class of 2012 here I come :D

Welcome to the program! You're going to have a great time, maybe i'll cya around!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

You are now part of an elite organization known to the world as: UBSoPPS.

Ah...UB SoPPS.

It's a real good time here, you're going to love it. Congratulations!

i was accepted- early assurance..

has anyone heard anything about scholarship money yet?

Hi, I'm thinking of applying to UB next year but I have a few questions...

1. How does UB calculate GPA when there is a failed course? I failed a first year english class and then took another english class and ended up with a B+. Do they average the two or take the higher course number? This was two years ago and will seriously drop my GPA if included from 3.67 to 3.41.

2. How do canadian students apply? I quote:

"Send a WES, ECE, or Josef Silny & Associates foreign transcript evaluation report to PharmCAS if your transcript is indicated as a Foreign Institution on your PharmCAS application. This does not apply to English-speaking Canadian colleges or universities. Students from English-speaking Canadian institutions applying to UB do not need to have their coursework evaluated unless they have other international coursework. All official transcripts must be submitted directly to UB SoPPS and not PharmCAS."

If I don't send my transcript to pharmcas, how do I apply? Do I still have to go through pharmcas?

3. My university does not allow pre-req courses to be repeated, only upgraded to the next highest course. ex. bio 107 --> bio 207. The problem is that I've got mostly B's and some A- in my first year stuff, but I've taken the next higher course and got A's. The problem is that some of the second year courses are specialized. (eg, there is no 2xx course in general chemistry) How does UB look at the this? Is the pre-req GPA all the science courses I took or is it only the first year courses that I took?

4. I also have a PCAT of 93% composite but no pharmacy related experience (hard to get any spots here in canada) how do I stack up?

Thank you!

okay, another question.

What GPA does UB use to judge you academically?

Is it
-science GPA (all science courses taken eg, including genetics, advance organic chemistry)
-pre-req GPA (the pre-req courses, eg intro bio, intro chem, intro physics)
-all course GPA (every course I've taken)

If anyone could clarify, i would be tremendously grateful.

Thanks!

okay, another question.

What GPA does UB use to judge you academically?

Is it
-science GPA (all science courses taken eg, including genetics, advance organic chemistry)
-pre-req GPA (the pre-req courses, eg intro bio, intro chem, intro physics)
-all course GPA (every course I've taken)

If anyone could clarify, i would be tremendously grateful.

Thanks!

You can find the answer to this question and a few others you have asked on UB's website (admissions/frequently asked questions.) To get your answers directly from the source eliminates a lot of heresay.
:)Your PCAT score will be a positive factor in your application. Try to get a volunteer position-preferably related to pharmacy- this can only strengthen your application.
Good luck!

You can find the answer to this question and a few others you have asked on UB's website (admissions/frequently asked questions.) To get your answers directly from the source eliminates a lot of heresay.
:)Your PCAT score will be a positive factor in your application. Try to get a volunteer position-preferably related to pharmacy- this can only strengthen your application.
Good luck!

I've already read through their FAQ, and it seems to be the source of my confusion...

ex.

"What are the criteria for admission?

In order to be considered for admission to the PharmD program, applicants must submit a completed PharmCAS application and have the following: PharmD prerequisite courses, and a minimum GPA of a 3.0 in their pre-pharmacy science and math courses."

Does this mean that only introductory courses are used in the GPA calculations? Specifically, it does not address whether the pre-pharmacy GPA is soley used to judge the student academically. For example, a student may have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 while having a pre-req GPA of 3.9. How is this student viewed in UB's eyes?

To reiterate, even though the criterias for admission is a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their pre-pharmacy science and math, it doesn't state whether this figure is the determinant factor in judging acedemics.

If the pre-pharmacy science and math GPA is the only determinant of a candidate's acedemic ability then how would taking further coursework help improve GPA as seen below.

"I was denied. May I apply again in the future?
Yes. Take advantage of the year to improve your credentials by taking further coursework to improve your GPA, retaking the PCAT, joining professional organizations, holding an office of a student organization, or volunteering or working in a pharmacy."

Wouldn't the student be forced to retake instead of taking further coursework?

Can anyone clarify?

I'm an canadian student and therefore pharmcas does not calculate my GPA becuase I send my transcript directly to UB as seen here:

"Canadian applicants may send an official English-speaking Canadian transcript directly to UB SoPPS instead of sending a foreign transcript evaluation report to PharmCAS."

Therefore I want to know what exactly is my GPA to determine my competitiveness.

Thanks

I believe they calculate your overall GPA to determine your competitiveness. To strengthen your GPA you would have to take more upper-division/graduate level courses to add to it. Hope that helped.
I've already read through their FAQ, and it seems to be the source of my confusion...

ex.

"What are the criteria for admission?

In order to be considered for admission to the PharmD program, applicants must submit a completed PharmCAS application and have the following: PharmD prerequisite courses, and a minimum GPA of a 3.0 in their pre-pharmacy science and math courses."

Does this mean that only introductory courses are used in the GPA calculations? Specifically, it does not address whether the pre-pharmacy GPA is soley used to judge the student academically. For example, a student may have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 while having a pre-req GPA of 3.9. How is this student viewed in UB's eyes?

To reiterate, even though the criterias for admission is a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their pre-pharmacy science and math, it doesn't state whether this figure is the determinant factor in judging acedemics.

If the pre-pharmacy science and math GPA is the only determinant of a candidate's acedemic ability then how would taking further coursework help improve GPA as seen below.

"I was denied. May I apply again in the future?
Yes. Take advantage of the year to improve your credentials by taking further coursework to improve your GPA, retaking the PCAT, joining professional organizations, holding an office of a student organization, or volunteering or working in a pharmacy."

Wouldn't the student be forced to retake instead of taking further coursework?

Can anyone clarify?

I'm an canadian student and therefore pharmcas does not calculate my GPA becuase I send my transcript directly to UB as seen here:

"Canadian applicants may send an official English-speaking Canadian transcript directly to UB SoPPS instead of sending a foreign transcript evaluation report to PharmCAS."

Therefore I want to know what exactly is my GPA to determine my competitiveness.

Thanks

Who else has applied to Buffalo. I sent in my supplemental about two weeks ago and not sure when we will be notified if we get an interview or not. Has any one received an interview mail yet?

Who else has applied to Buffalo. I sent in my supplemental about two weeks ago and not sure when we will be notified if we get an interview or not. Has any one received an interview mail yet?

Yeah, a bunch of people have. UB had all of my materials 9/24 I believe, and I haven't heard anything. They told me my application hasn't been reviewed yet, which is frustrating because there are people who submitted after me, and they already have decisions...
I thought that with rolling admission the earlier you send in your applications the earlier you are reviewed?
Hm..I'll keep waiting and HOPING big time.

Yeah, a bunch of people have. UB had all of my materials 9/24 I believe, and I haven't heard anything. They told me my application hasn't been reviewed yet, which is frustrating because there are people who submitted after me, and they already have decisions...
I thought that with rolling admission the earlier you send in your applications the earlier you are reviewed?
Hm..I'll keep waiting and HOPING big time.

I'm also applying to Cincinnati, Temple, and Lecom Erie.Still working on the supplementals for Cincinnati and Lecom. Then its praying and hoping.

Yessss.Thank God. I got my interview for Buffalo. It's slated for February, but I'm not complaining. Did anybody get an interview scheduled for this year?

This is just a little rant, but...

I just learned that I won't even be eligible as an applicant to UB pharmacy. It turns out that UB differentiates between English composition and English literature courses and therefore I don't meet the pre-reqs. The thing that really pisses me off though is the catch-22 situation regarding course equivalency before you apply to UB. You see, they won't bother looking at course equivalency before you pay the application and supplemental fees. That in turn provides no clue as to whether you have completed all the pre-reqs. The only way to find out is to pay ($200 for me). Well, my answer? If you're attending the university of alberta, there is NO WAY for you to meet the english pre-req. You'll have to either find another school in canada that has "english composition" or move to the U.S to take the english course. The U of A only offers english literature courses, and even though they contain english composition, they all cannot be used for application to UB.

I hope this at least helps people from Canada choose which english course to take... that is if "english compositon" is even offered.

*sigh*

I'm still waiting for anything from them! I'm guessing they might be waiting to see my grades for fall 2008. Hmm....

I have a 2.94 cumulative GPA and most likely 3.0 science GPA and at least 2 years of research and a publication. I'm about to apply for the Fall 2010 term but I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting in if I do well on my PCAT and personal statement and stuff. I plan to get pharmacy experience as a pharmacy tech or maybe go to lecom's pharmacy postbac. WHat do you think?

This is just a little rant, but...

I just learned that I won't even be eligible as an applicant to UB pharmacy. It turns out that UB differentiates between English composition and English literature courses and therefore I don't meet the pre-reqs. The thing that really pisses me off though is the catch-22 situation regarding course equivalency before you apply to UB. You see, they won't bother looking at course equivalency before you pay the application and supplemental fees. That in turn provides no clue as to whether you have completed all the pre-reqs. The only way to find out is to pay ($200 for me). Well, my answer? If you're attending the university of alberta, there is NO WAY for you to meet the english pre-req. You'll have to either find another school in canada that has "english composition" or move to the U.S to take the english course. The U of A only offers english literature courses, and even though they contain english composition, they all cannot be used for application to UB.

I hope this at least helps people from Canada choose which english course to take... that is if "english compositon" is even offered.

*sigh*

That stinks :( If you really want UB, perhaps finding a composition course at a community college is not a bad idea.

I have a 2.94 cumulative GPA and most likely 3.0 science GPA and at least 2 years of research and a publication. I'm about to apply for the Fall 2010 term but I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting in if I do well on my PCAT and personal statement and stuff. I plan to get pharmacy experience as a pharmacy tech or maybe go to lecom's pharmacy postbac. WHat do you think?

My guess is that you would find yourself on the waitlist for UB :hungover: ... that is if your PCAT is between 90-95. If your PCAT is 95+ perhaps you might get an interview. This is all given that your PS is awesome and that you have pharmacy experience and good LoRs. Given your GPA, I would only apply if your PCAT is at least a 90.

I agree with kirbypuff. UB seems to look most at GPA. I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview yet with GPA < 3.5.
Make sure you do amazing on the PCAT and apply early.

I just learned that I won't even be eligible as an applicant to UB pharmacy. It turns out that UB differentiates between English composition and English literature courses and therefore I don't meet the pre-reqs. The thing that really pisses me off though is the catch-22 situation regarding course equivalency before you apply to UB. You see, they won't bother looking at course equivalency before you pay the application and supplemental fees. That in turn provides no clue as to whether you have completed all the pre-reqs. The only way to find out is to pay ($200 for me).

Many of the schools do not provide the opportunity to evaluate your prerequisite courses ahead of time... there are simply too many applicants and not enough people to process all the requests that they would receive.

Don't misinterpret this as the school refusing to help you determine whether or not you meet a particular prerequisite. If you are uncertain about a lot of them, then yes, they aren't going to help you, but I have found that if you are uncertain whether or not a particular class or class sequence meets the requirements for the school, you can usually contact the school about the one course. They may not necessarily tell you "yes/no" about your specific course, but they will elaborate on what the requirement is looking for, such as providing an example of a course description or certain topics or learning objectives that they want you to have covered.

I found little ambiguity in UB's English requirement. On their list of prerequisites it is listed as "English Composition I" and "English Composition II" and for example courses for prepharm students at UB they list "Writing Eng 101 and 102" and "Advanced Writing."
http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_prerequisites.shtml

That online table used to come in PDF format, but all the information is the same, still. And additionally, if you are coming in with a Bachelor's degree, the English requirement and several other liberal arts requirements are waived, which I think other schools should consider doing, as well.