Univ. of Minnesota Entering Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One of you got my spot; I turned them down this morning. I'm heading off to graduate school instead. Go to Minnesota and make kick-ass pharmacists, ya'll.

What type of graduate school? Ph.D in chemistry

Members don't see this ad.

One of you got my spot; I turned them down this morning. I'm heading off to graduate school instead. Go to Minnesota and make kick-ass pharmacists, ya'll.

Good Luck Medicalcpa.:luck: Why did you decide on grad school?

What type of graduate school? Ph.D in chemistry
Probably in a biomedical science. If I get into my top choice grad school, it will be in Pathology.

Why grad school? Let's just say "personal reasons," and leave it at that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sure you will love grad school and will be very successful. Either way, you will still have a doctorate.

Probably in a biomedical science. If I get into my top choice grad school, it will be in Pathology.

It is all good. I wish you well and wealth.

Good luck medicalcpa!! :luck: I wish you all the best!

Wow, congrats to the people who got accepted! Minnesota is an unbelievable school and I would die to go there!

Best of luck to everyone!

Just got accepted today!!!

I got accepted today too. For the Duluth campus.

I got my rank today in the mail. I am #9 out of the last 26. I said I would only accept a spot at Minneapolis.

Hopefully they'll get to my number soon and I can say I'm accepted to pharmacy school.

I got my rank today in the mail. I am #9 out of the last 26. I said I would only accept a spot at Minneapolis.

Hopefully they'll get to my number soon and I can say I'm accepted to pharmacy school.

There's only 26 people remaining on the waitlist? Is this normal for the U of MN? Just wondering if all hope is dead for us unranked waitlisters.

There's only 26 people remaining on the waitlist? Is this normal for the U of MN? Just wondering if all hope is dead for us unranked waitlisters.

Not normal from what I've heard. I guess when it started out there were around 60. I actually wouldn't doubt it if they did get to the unranked waitlist based on what I've heard from the last two years. But then again I've been pretty confused about this process so what the hell do I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is weird. Last year they only get into the low 40's on the ranked wait list. At this point in time last year, I think they were only through ~ 15 people or so. I wonder if they waitlisted more people than usual this year?

That is weird. Last year they only get into the low 40's on the ranked wait list. At this point in time last year, I think they were only through ~ 15 people or so. I wonder if they waitlisted more people than usual this year?

Ok..So I am new to this thread..But I am closely monitoring UMN stats!!
I was waitlisted in a batch of 49 students for Fall'09. They said they would tell me my rank within 3 weeks but I got in without knowing my rank..:)

I would guess that you were probably ranked high on the list. People probably declined admission and they had openings before they sent out the list. Just a guess though.

Hello misswash82,Are you accepting the admits at UMD?

Not normal from what I've heard. I guess when it started out there were around 60. I actually wouldn't doubt it if they did get to the unranked waitlist based on what I've heard from the last two years. But then again I've been pretty confused about this process so what the hell do I know.

Which campus are you going too..???

I had talked with a lady at the college of pharmacy to see how admissions were going so far this year and I thought some of her information could help some of you with your situations. They had under addmitted individuals which resulted in the very first 20 people on the waitlist to get taken off right away. This leaves about 40 on the ranked waitlist. Normally they do go through about 40 people so if that happens again this year, then they will have to start taking off of the unranked waitlist. It has never happened, however, if it is going to this would be the year.

Good luck to you all still waiting!

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be attending UMN this upcoming fall. Good luck with grad school! I'm sure you will kick ***** :)

:love: I got my acceptance last week. I am so excited. U of MN is such a great school with lots of opportunities. I love the program. Now I have two great choices. I am not sure if I will be going there though. Most likely I'll be going to UCSF. So those on the waitlist can have my spot. I've got a few days to make my final decision. It's good to have choices.:thumbup:

Is there anyone else who interviewed on March 13th that has gotten their acceptance yet?

Interestingly, we are in a similar boat :) I finally made up my mind this past weekend and will be calling the UMN admission's office tomorrow to decline my spot for UCSF. Best of luck to those on the waitlist and congrats to anyone who makes it in. UMN has a great program and the students there are very helpful.

Interestingly, we are in a similar boat :) I finally made up my mind this past weekend and will be calling the UMN admission's office tomorrow to decline my spot for UCSF. Best of luck to those on the waitlist and congrats to anyone who makes it in. UMN has a great program and the students there are very helpful.

UCB, it's interesting that we were in a similar situation. I decided to go to UCSF. The school fit me better and made more sense for me. It was a very hard choice though. UMN is an awesome pharmacy school. I can't wait to meet you this Fall.

I had talked with a lady at the college of pharmacy to see how admissions were going so far this year and I thought some of her information could help some of you with your situations. They had under addmitted individuals which resulted in the very first 20 people on the waitlist to get taken off right away. This leaves about 40 on the ranked waitlist. Normally they do go through about 40 people so if that happens again this year, then they will have to start taking off of the unranked waitlist. It has never happened, however, if it is going to this would be the year.

Good luck to you all still waiting!

That's sort of scary to hear since I have to decide whether to take physics or a nursing class this summer. I'd hate to not take physics only to have them start going through the unranked waitlist. :rolleyes:

That's sort of scary to hear since I have to decide whether to take physics or a nursing class this summer. I'd hate to not take physics only to have them start going through the unranked waitlist. :rolleyes:

Take both.

Take both.

I'm a nontraditional student and have three little ones four and under. We won't have a babysitter over the summer since my mom is switching her hours at work over the summer (she watches them when I go to school since most students can't afford daycare). Wish I could take both though!! Wouldn't that be nice.

For those of you who got in can you please post your stats?! I saw Pre-Pharm got declined with his/her amazing stats and I am feeling extremely fidgety as to applying next year!

You don't necessarily need amazing stats to get in. I don't :)

3.2 undergrad GPA (U of M alum)
3.5 grad GPA (again, U of M)
80 overall on PCAT
4 full years + 2 summers of tech experience.
OK volunteering

I also had good recommendations and I nailed my interview. The interview was key in my opinion. That's how I separated myself.

Last edited:
For those of you who got in can you please post your stats?! I saw Pre-Pharm got declined with his/her amazing stats and I am feeling extremely fidgety as to applying next year!

I wouldn't let my stats scare you. I think a lot depends on what interviewer you get. Some people have casual conversations with you and some try to rattle you. I was lucky enough to have the latter. I also don't have a bachelor's degree and had zero pharmacy experience at the time of my application. These three factors are huge and any one of them could've been what ultimately did me in. Good luck!!

I wouldn't let my stats scare you. I think a lot depends on what interviewer you get. Some people have casual conversations with you and some try to rattle you. I was lucky enough to have the latter. I also don't have a bachelor's degree and had zero pharmacy experience at the time of my application. These three factors are huge and any one of them could've been what ultimately did me in. Good luck!!

Yeah at the U of MN its more about having a well rounded application than even a lot of schools. I was average in pretty much every area but still had at least had something - some volunteer, a decent amount of pharmacy experience, a few EC's, and around average gpa and pcat, and I guess the interview went okay.

I'm next on the waitlist to get in!

I heard through the grapevine that we might be getting iPod Touch's for our PDAs this year because last years class didn't like theirs.

So does anybody have any idea how many people are remaining on the ranked waitlist?

I heard through the grapevine that we might be getting iPod Touch's for our PDAs this year because last years class didn't like theirs.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. My buddy's Palm that he got 3 years ago from the COP is nice! I like the layout and how well it functions. I just hope the Touch is up to par.

Congrats to everyone being accepted! I know the wait can be horrible.

Wait! Wait! Wait! Which is giving iPods??? Where did u get this info from?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wait! Wait! Wait! Which is giving iPods??? Where did u get this info from?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I checked the College of Pharmacy website and it does mention there that this fall, we'll be getting Ipod itouches.

It looks like they are changing from the Palm T/X to the iPod Touch.

I've been told from students that the money for PDAs is actually donated to the school. I don't know from where/who though. Does anyone know?

I found out about my acceptance on 4-28!!! TC campus!!

Looks like they posted the admission statistics from the 2009 accepted class.
http://www.pharmacy.umn.edu/pharmd/admissions/statistics/home.html

I was kind of shocked by two things
1. A lower PCAT average
2. A much higher percentage of Bachelors degrees (87%!)

Congrats on those getting in and hope some still get taken off of the waitlist. Keep us posted

Also just as a reminder there are rooms still available at the Phi Delta Chi (professional pharmacy fraternity) house as mentioned earlier (guys and girls). Rent is very cheap and close to the College of Pharmacy. PM me if you want all of the information.

Last edited: