General Unintentionally overestimated language skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Hello. I got off a waitlist at a medical school several weeks ago. I sent a letter of interest along with updates to said school, and noted that I had achieved a level of fluency in a second language after self-study. I think I probably overestimated this fluency. Otherwise everything in my application is 100% accurate, but I feel like I was wrong about my language skills. Is there a chance that somehow they will somehow evaluate my language skills and rescind the acceptance? As I write this out it seems a bit silly, but I'm a worrier. Thanks for your help!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I would hope that someone at the level of medical school admissions would not be convinced that a short period of self-study would lead to fluency in a language…

You could argue that “level of fluency” leaves room for interpretation; the definition being “easy and articulate expression”. If you’re purely conversational then yeah, you stretched that truth and it’s certainly possible they “test” your alleged fluency. I’ve heard of interviews where someone actually fluent in that language is invited in to participate and gauge the accuracy of those claims. In that case, your bluff gets called if you’re not remotely fluent. Otherwise I’m sure there’s a fair buffer zone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.