Uni rice is awful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HistoRocks

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I am sure you have experienced this phenomenon called uni rice? I am not sure why they have to make it so oily, for one thing. And the different varieties don't help either... I have eaten good yellow rice, but uni rice does not taste like the yellow rice I had at home. You know, I used to eat rice nearly every day before I came to uni, but now I have stopped altogether. Rice of poor quality without dhall, potatoes, or curry.... no offence, only Americans will come up with such a horrid creation.

P.S: You might tell me to do my own cooking... urghhh, I can cook, but you know how long good food takes to prepare.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry friend, but Basmati rice is a bit expensive for Unis, so you'll be stuck with that oiled stuff. If they started bringing in first class rice, I think your tuition would be upped big time ;) .

sunny123 said:
Sorry friend, but Basmati rice is a bit expensive for Unis, so you'll be stuck with that oiled stuff. If they started bringing in first class rice, I think your tuition would be upped big time ;) .

I am aware that the dining service is meant to be cost-effective. But I have come up with a simple solution: instead of offering 20 or 30 varieties of food, offer 5 or 6. What is this obsession with variety, anyway? Especially considering that a large portion of the stuff is frozen and unhealthy. 5 or 6 varieties of healthy food is far better. Also, I have noticed the hrs of operation of these places is ridiculous... from 10:30 am - 2 am. Why not reduce the hrs of operation to 2 hrs breakfast/lunch/dinner? And closing time at a decent hr, say 6:30 p.m. Of course there are none who will take my suggestion... quality will invariably be sacrificed in the interests of profit maximization.

Members don't see this ad :)
HistoRocks said:
Guys,

I am sure you have experienced this phenomenon called uni rice? I am not sure why they have to make it so oily, for one thing. And the different varieties don't help either... I have eaten good yellow rice, but uni rice does not taste like the yellow rice I had at home. You know, I used to eat rice nearly every day before I came to uni, but now I have stopped altogether. Rice of poor quality without dhall, potatoes, or curry.... no offence, only Americans will come up with such a horrid creation.

P.S: You might tell me to do my own cooking... urghhh, I can cook, but you know how long good food takes to prepare.
:laugh: :laugh: Dont tell me that its that horrible :eek: :p :eek:

parasiteatwork said:
:laugh: :laugh: Dont tell me that its that horrible :eek: :p :eek:

Yes, its worse than you think. Not sure how I will survive med school!