unhappy nurses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most of these comments are coming from an individual that is an MA. Guess that stands for medical ASSistant.
Your comments towards MAs doesn't surprise me.

This person thinks he/she can watch a monitor as well as a telemetry nurse can.
hmmmm...Actually, since you mentioned it, my qualifications are better than that of the nurses for this particular telemetry job. The nurses did not know the rhythms better than I did.

Telemetry nurse? :laugh: :thumbdown: and this requires special training? You act like they went to school to be a telemetry nurse. I worked at a Heart Hospital...I can tell you they were just normal nurses...nothing spectacular.

Wait - oh that's right, they can't push drugs. I almost forgot. hehe.
Too bad you can't think on your own. You need an ORDER for that. hehe

MAs think they do the job of nursing but are not compensated for it -thus the apparent jealous attitude. Get over yourself.
I believe the actual position was for Telemetry Tech.

Not jealousy...major disappointment that a dimwit nurse could sit next to me and make 50/hr while I was making 10/hr.

Oh...I forgot. It was overtime as well. Super, time and a half! What a way to milk the system. :rolleyes: :thumbdown:

Nurses should be so grateful that they HAVE the opportunity to work EXTRA!

Members don't see this ad.

smkoepke said:
I found it interesting that a med student/or premed would use this same "cheaper" labor logic for nurses when so many of the docs or soon to be docs have a fit about it in regards to their own profession.
That is not what I said for the last time! They would sit a lame a$$ nurse in the monitor room for 5 times the pay I was getting!!

They could read rhythms no better than myself. In fact, they probably didn't know the rhythms as well.

At least I know the physiology behind it :laugh:

mx_599 said:
Too bad you can't think on your own. You need an ORDER to do that. hehe.

Autonomy as a senior CRNA student is a wonderful thing. Welcome to advance practice son. No one tells you what to do. No supervising MDA around and no CRNA around. I run my own cases. MDA shows up on induction, watches me push drugs that I choose that you have no idea about, watches me intubate, then leaves. I not only manage HR, BP, sat, but also ETCO2, degree of depth of anesthesia, degree of paralysis and extubation of patient. Add to this list all required IV fluids and meds.

You have no idea.
Have fun mocking nurses and sitting in front of your monitor.

Members don't see this ad :)
rn29306 said:
Autonomy as a senior CRNA student is a wonderful thing. Welcome to advance practice son. No one tells you what to do. No supervising MDA around and no CRNA around. I run my own cases. MDA shows up on induction, watches me push drugs that I choose that you have no idea about, watches me intubate, then leaves. I not only manage HR, BP, sat, but also ETCO2, degree of depth of anesthesia, degree of paralysis and extubation of patient. Add to this list all required IV fluids and meds.

You have no idea.

Great. You're a stud. Good for you. CRNAs are so smart. Whatever.

Nurses are stupid. Doctors are wonderful.

Too much bashing and egos on BOTH sides.

Signing off.

Sinnman said:
You're a stud.

You heard too huh? Thanks but not interested. Sorry.

rn29306 said:
Autonomy as a senior CRNA student is a wonderful thing. Welcome to advance practice son. No one tells you what to do. No supervising MDA around and no CRNA around. I run my own cases.
I am glad you feel autonomous :sleep:

push drugs that I choose that you have no idea about
I am comfortable with not knowing stuff yet. Make fun of me all you want.

watches me intubate, then leaves. I not only manage HR, BP, sat, but also ETCO2, degree of depth of anesthesia, degree of paralysis and extubation of patient. Add to this list all required IV fluids and meds.
Wow...good luck with that. :rolleyes: Sounds like it might get old after awhile.

You have no idea.
I am having about as much fun mocking nurses as you are MAs.

I don't sit in front of the monitors...I'll let the overweight, bitter nurses do that. I just used the job to help me get into school. I am getting ready to move. I am unemployed. :D

mx_599 said:
What? You make no sense! It is a telemetry job. You sit and watch cardiac monitors. It is not a nurse position at the hospital! Don't try and tell me a nurse can do this better than me. Get a clue.

perhaps you need to get a clue if you are being paid 1/5th the amount of someone you claim sits right next to you and whom you do a better job than. If you are a tech, presumably you are not licensed and therefore have no true responsibility for the patients you are monitoring. Who legally is responsible? A nurse or perhaps a doctor. That is why they are paid more than you. If it truly isn't a nurse position why are they paying a nurse double her salary to watch monitors with 10 dollar an hour help? Hmmm maybe they don't trust the techs so well...

Assuming that was a website you gave me...Like I would really believe a website designed by nurses, made for nurses, and analyzed by nurses :rolleyes:

So by that logic anything that is on this website should not be believed in any capacity either, including your comments and opinions right? website designed by doctors, made by doctors, analyzed be doctors :rolleyes:

I said overpaid to about right. Point being I get sick of the nurses who make 35+/hr complain!

the point being not all or even most are making 35/hour. That is what i was saying from the start, and no i wouldn't be complaining about 35/ hour either.

By the way...I never said nursing was easy. However, the schooling is a joke. :laugh:

Why do you feel the need to put down someone elses education? o you really need that much of an ego boost? condescending attitudes don't help anybody.

I never said nurses were stupid. All I ever referred to was salaries.

and i never said that you did, again read critically..

Although, I am about to start putting nurses down from this point forward after reading some of the posts about me. I don't appreciate some of the comments made about my qualifications from what appears to be a nurse. I'll get to hers in just a moment. :thumbdown:

Take issue with one person, not all nurses. This would be the mature approach. If one M.D. puts you down are you going to then start putting all docs down from this point forward?

smkoepke said:
Take issue with one person, not all nurses. This would be the mature approach. If one M.D. puts you down are you going to then start putting all docs down from this point forward?
sorry.

If it truly isn't a nurse position why are they paying a nurse double her salary to watch monitors with 10 dollar an hour help? Hmmm maybe they don't trust the techs so well...
The nurses are filling in. When they are behind the monitor they assume the tech position and have nothing to do with the patients on that particular shift.

So by that logic anything that is on this website should not be believed in any capacity either, including your comments and opinions right? website designed by doctors, made by doctors, analyzed be doctors
I wouldn't trust everything here. Although it has been extremely helpful for me...I think.

the point being not all or even most are making 35/hour. That is what i was saying from the start, and no i wouldn't be complaining about 35/ hour either.
They're making a lot more than you think. Even 25/hr is good pay. I would guess a large percent are making 25/hr or greater. With opportunities abundant to work overtime. Many jobs you CANNOT do this.

Why do you feel the need to put down someone elses education? o you really need that much of an ego boost? condescending attitudes don't help anybody.
Not putting anyone down. Just stating the facts. It was said that the job and schooling was difficult. I felt the need to correct the schooling part. Especially after I was belittled for being an MA by a NURSE :laugh:

and i never said that you did, again read critically..
Of course I know how to read critically. I could only assume you were lumping me into the categories as the others since it was all in the same post.

mx_599 said:
Not putting anyone down. Just stating the facts. It was said that the job and schooling was difficult. I felt the need to correct the schooling part. Especially after I was belittled for being an MA by a NURSE.

Don't put this on others. You started this whole deal with post number 69, in your response to someone stating just how difficult nursing can be. Accept the responsibility for stuff you start and stop whining when others join in the arguement.

rn29306 said:
Don't put this on others. You started this whole deal with post number 69, in your response to someone stating just how difficult nursing can be. Accept the responsibility for stuff you start and stop whining when others join in the arguement.
Gosh...you're hung up on post 69. Yes, it was in reference to nurses not being paid enough.

I don't mind who jumps in...

Lyrics: (Smooth Operater song), Sade. Easy.

You know its interesting that alot of medical assistants seem to have an axe to grind with the nursing field. Maybe because they out numbered us 15:1 and we got sick of always helping the lazy bossy ones with no control over our workflow. But after transferring out to a different capacity for scheduling reasons I can say I've evened out my perspective a bit...And we really must give them the respect they deserve until proven that they're just sociopaths with an RN license. But yeah If I go back into the trenches with them again I'll keep my mouth shut and keep to myself. They'll henpeck the hell out of you if you're a pre-med.--Ben.

benelswick said:
Lyrics: (Smooth Operater song), Sade. Easy.

You know its interesting that alot of medical assistants seem to have an axe to grind with the nursing field. Maybe because they out numbered us 15:1 and we got sick of always helping the lazy bossy ones with no control over our workflow. But after transferring out to a different capacity for scheduling reasons I can say I've evened out my perspective a bit...And we really must give them the respect they deserve until proven that they're just sociopaths with an RN license. But yeah If I go back into the trenches with them again I'll keep my mouth shut and keep to myself. They'll henpeck the hell out of you if you're a pre-med.--Ben.
hahaha... I think I made two floors of nurses mad in the heart hospital. oops :eek: What's worse is that nurses go to management too...they like to stick together and defend their own even if their own are wrong. :rolleyes:

mx_599 said:
hahaha... I think I made two floors of nurses mad in the heart hospital. oops :eek: What's worse is that nurses go to management too...they like to stick together and defend their own even if their own are wrong. :rolleyes:

sadly it's been my experience that most professions are like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
mx_599 said:

It's not just the nurses that defend each other even if they're wrong. Docs have been doing that for ages ! No offense...just a fact. ;) Actually...doesn't everyone in every profession to a certain extent?

Katee

Katee80 said:
It's not just the nurses that defend each other even if they're wrong. Docs have been doing that for ages ! No offense...just a fact. ;) Actually...doesn't everyone in every profession to a certain extent?

Katee
Sure you guys are right, however it becomes more evident in nursing because there is such a range. From CNA/LPN all the way to management of the whole hospital (some of these individuals were in the right place at the right time :rolleyes: )

So...when they band together, there is a lack of "checks and balances" in the system since they're all nurses!

Other than that...I pretty much agree with you two. Just not many other areas where one profession dominates the ranks like that.

Let's face it healthcare is run and delivered by Nurses. Individually they may not work cohesively together but like a heard of buffalo if get them all moving in the same direction you better get the hell out of the way. And yes turf battle and professional domain defense it by no means exclusive to nursing. In fact if physicians and other niche groups were not effective at it they would be bulldozed by the nursing field. If Nursing administrators were such b*thes on average with their snooty useless graduate nursing degrees and advocated more for their rank and file then they could dictate whatever policies they wanted.

Edit! I don't consider an N.P. a useless degree, in fact quite the opposite--its a functional one but a doctorate in nursing give me a break. Ask anyone who's put themselves through nursing school while working in healthcare what if anything annoys them about their education and its those out-of-touch nursing academics. I mean why do we feel compelled in the west to make a big hooplah out of every learning endeavor. a carpenter learns from a master capenter s/he doesn't go to school to learn the theory of swinging a hammer.

benelswick said:
a carpenter learns from a master capenter s/he doesn't go to school to learn the theory of swinging a hammer.

That is because the Joint Commision of Accreditation doesn't tell them when to swing the hammer, how to swing the hammer, what to swing the hammer at, what 4 forms to chart that you swung the hammer on, an you don't have to label the object that you are meaning to swing at. Oh Yeah, how many times and how long did it take for the swing.

sure..public interests mandate certain professional standards...but in the execution of policy and the law that binds it, it's always the foked-tongue of money and politics that comes through. Academic professional egomania is one thing that makes western society absurd in its behavior...that was my only point in the context of nursing and its auxillary staff.

benelswick said:
Let's face it healthcare is run and delivered by Nurses. <snip> I don't consider an N.P. a useless degree, in fact quite the opposite--its a functional one but a doctorate in nursing give me a break. Ask anyone who's put themselves through nursing school while working in healthcare what if anything annoys them about their education and its those out-of-touch nursing academics.
I don't agree that the health system is run and delivered by nurses - I really believe that we're all a team - but patients are hospitalised primarily for nursing care. That's not to say that the other members of the team aren't important, but if that was all the patient neded they'd all be outpatients.
I agree that nursing academia is, in the main, wholly out of touch with practicing nurses. There's so much wanky-do in even the undergradute courses... What I find most disturbing/annoying is how little practical experience some nurse academics have. One can graduate, do an honours year, and go straight into a doctorate course.

<<Edit! I don't consider an N.P. a useless degree, in fact quite the opposite--its a functional one but a doctorate in nursing give me a break. >>

Unfortunately, at most bachelors-level nursing schools, a phD is required of nursing faculty- so the nursing doctorate is necessary and relevant (before now, many nursing faculty have gotten phDs in education or other tangential areas), especially given the shortage of nursing faculty which has held programs back from expanding and more quickly bringing more nurses into the field. There are wait lists at many nursing schools because there are applicants but low capacity.

Furthermore, many nursing phD's use the degree to advance nursing research. My masters program has a very strong research emphasis- NIH researchers (who are RNs with phD's) taught my research class. Nurses need to engage in evidence-based practice just as much as MD's.

Credentialing/advanced education is important to maintaining professional standards. The powers that be in nursing place a VERY high value on credentials (ever look at an RN's nametag... RN, Clin III, BSN, APRN, CCRN.....).

<<Ask anyone who's put themselves through nursing school while working in healthcare what if anything annoys them about their education and its those out-of-touch nursing academics.>>

I agree with this statement, but I think most of academia is totally out of touch with the real world- I have found this throughout my education (nursing and non-nursing). Yale's School of Management Dean recently stepped down and in an interview with NY Times (June 19th 2005) discussing what he would change about business school education, he said he thought many business school professors were not in step with today's business world. That many were research focused/tenured and not active in business.

Sainttpk said:
Hello folks,

I have no intention of being a nurse, I am actually applying to medical school, but I have noticed that alot of nurses I talk to seem to be unhappy with their career choice. Maybe I am making a generalization, but I am curious is there alot of dissatisfaction among nurses in the field compared to other professions?

T.

Just want to say that I have the best job in the world being a Military CRNA! Prior to that I had the best job in the world as a L&D Nurse in NYC.

Hope everyone had a great 4th (don't forget to support the troops),
Mike

I agree with this statement, but I think most of academia is totally out of touch with the real world- I have found this throughout my education (nursing and non-nursing).

I took a semester of nursing classes and thought,for lack of a more simplistic description, that it was just silly. It in no way reflected what I had observed nurses doing in the real world. There are no nurses that I know that could use much of that phsychosocial crap in a daily setting..........yet................nurses are very well compensated. They turn common sense psychology into a "science" and have an exclusive product you can't get anywhere else. Plug some science classes into 4 years of that and a little medical-model and they become "independent" practitioners in both the nursing and medical models...........under the seemingly all powerful board of nursing.

You gotta hand it to them. They have created their own little world by seizing the holistic niche and recreating common sense that was once taken for granted.

As to the OP. Nurses are unhappy simply because it works for them and has been ever since nursing theory was concocted.

Unfortunately, at most bachelors-level nursing schools, a phD is required of nursing faculty- so the nursing doctorate is necessary and relevant (before now, many nursing faculty have gotten phDs in education or other tangential areas), especially given the shortage of nursing faculty which has held programs back from expanding and more quickly bringing more nurses into the field. There are wait lists at many nursing schools because there are applicants but low capacity.

Furthermore, many nursing phD's use the degree to advance nursing research. My masters program has a very strong research emphasis- NIH researchers (who are RNs with phD's) taught my research class. Nurses need to engage in evidence-based practice just as much as MD's.

Ok. I see your point. i just see a lot of white coats with the alphabet soup you refered to embroidered on their breasts... wandering around the hospital chatting casually and I can't help but to think all the panache is for its own sake to a large "degree"--with a lot of fancy titles and such. Furthermore if you want to be a data cruching epidemiological wiz why freakin study nursing care plans when you should be studying public health science and the skills involved in data analysis--math, computers, research technique.

smkoepke said:
People GO to the hospital because they need a doctor, but people STAY in the hospital because they need a nurse.

Great point!

why freakin study nursing care plans when you should be studying public health science and the skills involved in data analysis--math, computers, research technique.

Right, but why study care plans at all? After the first one or two it's obvious. I received kudos from my instructor for the most ******ed responses. Definitions in nursing theory are literaly invented along with the need for them. I was shocked to get a grade at all for something I pulled out of my butt at the last minuet..............seriously, I just made it up with some multi-syllable nursing theory words sprinkled here and there.

Care plans seem like the hardest thing for a nursing student to grasp. The majority of students at my school had trouble with it. There were even TUTORS to help them. I think it's for the same reason I had trouble with it. At first I tried to make my care plans thoughtful with practical information. The more I tried to make a useful care plan, the lower the grade. Finally, I got pissed off and decided to make it as useless and tedious as possible, pure BS.............My instructors LOVED it! I even did one about "aura dislocation" or something. I got that little gem from NANDA(North American Nursing Diagnosis Association).

That's when I decided to leave.

Weebils-Wobble said:
Right, but why study care plans at all? After the first one or two it's obvious. I received kudos from my instructor for the most ******ed responses. Definitions in nursing theory are literaly invented along with the need for them. I was shocked to get a grade at all for something I pulled out of my butt at the last minuet..............seriously, I just made it up with some multi-syllable nursing theory words sprinkled here and there.

Care plans seem like the hardest thing for a nursing student to grasp. The majority of students at my school had trouble with it. There were even TUTORS to help them. I think it's for the same reason I had trouble with it. At first I tried to make my care plans thoughtful with practical information. The more I tried to make a useful care plan, the lower the grade. Finally, I got pissed off and decided to make it as useless and tedious as possible, pure BS.............My instructors LOVED it! I even did one about "aura dislocation" or something. I got that little gem from NANDA(North American Nursing Diagnosis Association).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

...so the nursing program was not too difficult...right? My experience as well.

Weebils-Wobble said:

Agreed, careplans are complete crap. Even in the real world we have to do careplans but at least you don't get graded on them. I guess I wouldn't know to check a blood sugar on a diabetic if it wasn't on the careplan. Ah ****, was that her aura that just got dislocated or her hip, lets go look at the careplan.

TucsonDDS said:
Agreed, careplans are complete crap. Even in the real world we have to do careplans but at least you don't get graded on them. I guess I wouldn't know to check a blood sugar on a diabetic if it wasn't on the careplan. Ah ****, was that her aura that just got dislocated or her hip, lets go look at the careplan.
Geez :rolleyes: Don't do an objective measurement!.........You'll screw-up our nursing diagnosis!
Find out the scuttle-butt on the domestic situation, their religious preference, nationality, have them sit up straight, ask them what they like to eat, if we can ship in some Yak lips for them.............then, and only then, can we get to the bottom of their lethargy. Please reduce their aura also...........rookie. :p

Stupid medical model just wants to see if their sugar is low.

I really wrote the aura careplan.

They ate it up like free donuts!

They were dumbfounded when I quit :rolleyes:

benelswick said:
a carpenter learns from a master capenter s/he doesn't go to school to learn the theory of swinging a hammer.

Knowing how to swing a hammer is called a trade; knowing the theory behind it is known as education.

zenman said:
Knowing how to swing a hammer is called a trade; knowing the theory behind it is known as education.

"Theory" is an often misused word to describe an idea. That word, as well as other scientific terms, are used to lend the credibility of science to fringe, or simplistic ideas.

"Swinging A Hammer; How the nail feels"...........we think.
120cr
Instructor: Lotta Letters Omnipotent

Weebils-Wobble said:
"Theory" is an often misused word to describe an idea. That word, as well as other scientific terms, are used to lend the credibility of science to fringe, or simplistic ideas.

I guess the "credibility of science" discussion should be another thread. :laugh:

Many nurses make more in units at specialty hospitals than primary care PA's. "That", is disgusting....

guetzow said:
Many nurses make more in units at specialty hospitals than primary care PA's. "That", is disgusting....
Thank you... That is what I have been saying.

You have stirred up literally this whole multi-page thread because you are pissed about nurses making so much money.

First get over it.
THEN TAKE A HINT TOOL:
1. Stop whining like a schoolgirl, or
2. Go back to school and do something about it. By all means please attend the school you list on your sig.

Don't act like this was unprovoked either. You incessant and childish bitching is and has gotten old.

zenman said:
I guess the "credibility of science" discussion should be another thread. :laugh:

Definitely, there's only so much bandwidth ;)

rn29306 said:
You have stirred up literally this whole multi-page thread because you are pissed about nurses making so much money.

First get over it.
THEN TAKE A HINT TOOL:
1. Stop whining like a schoolgirl, or
2. Go back to school and do something about it. By all means please attend the school you list on your sig.

Don't act like this was unprovoked either. You incessant and childish bitching is and has gotten old.
Was this directed at me? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

While it is true that some nurses make more than some doctors it is definitely not the norm. And if it is the case it is because it is a smart nurse that knows what they are worth and a stupid doctor because they don't know what the are worth. Is it right? definitely not, but it is the case and will be the case for quite a while most likely. I don't feel bad for any doctors working for under 100K. If they don't like it they should quit and get a new job. If they bitch about nurses making more, they should quit and become a nurse. I don't think it is fair that college coaches ruitinely make over a million bucks a year, for what, teaching a bunch of kids how to play football or basketball. I don't know what peoples problems are with people making more money than them, they either need to suck it up and change carreers or suck it up and live a happy life knowing that a few people with less schooling will make more money and have more time for there families.

Indeed....Docs trapped in RN's body(Backseat drivers) = unhappy RN. Solution...Go to PA school!! RN's make good PA's. Had a few in my class :D .

guetzow said:

I think a better comparison is that of the PA and the RN who work at the same specialty hospital. I bet the PA comes out higher in that one... Comparing the salary of an RN at a specialty hospital - (e.g., ortho surgery center, cardiac surgery center) where they bill for the most profitable DRGs on the healthiest subsets of patients (probably aren't doing hip replacement surgery on diabetic, COPD patients) and see significantly fewer Medicaid and uninsured patients (some do not share the ER burdens with other hospitals) and have much more $$$ to go around in general - to a primary care PA's salary is comparing apples and oranges. And you all should know that many of these specialty hospitals are physician-owned (though this is heavily opposed by many lobbies and senators)... so those of you med students, MDs and pre-meds who are entrepreneurial, not a shabby way to supplement your income if you can effectively manage the ethical delimmas of such a system.

TucsonDDS said:
While it is true that some nurses make more than some doctors it is definitely not the norm. And if it is the case it is because it is a smart nurse that knows what they are worth and a stupid doctor because they don't know what the are worth. Is it right? definitely not, but it is the case and will be the case for quite a while most likely. I don't feel bad for any doctors working for under 100K. If they don't like it they should quit and get a new job. If they bitch about nurses making more, they should quit and become a nurse. I don't think it is fair that college coaches ruitinely make over a million bucks a year, for what, teaching a bunch of kids how to play football or basketball. I don't know what peoples problems are with people making more money than them, they either need to suck it up and change carreers or suck it up and live a happy life knowing that a few people with less schooling will make more money and have more time for there families.
CAN I GET AN AMEN????

:thumbup:

benelswick said:
Ok fair enough from the legalistic economic standpoint of maintaining current institutions there must be normative professional boundaries, however, my point is that this does not resemble the way in which human being learn how to do things or how things are done successfully nor does it predict the degree of satisfaction that the participators in such a system will get out of it.
For example, if I'm stranded on an island with an indigenous people if I'm lucky they'll teach me how to survive. I will learn how to hunt and collect food how to obtain fresh water and by some gradual process I may obtain the means marry and support a family there presuming rescue is not possible. Nobody will stop me along the way to award me with an honorary degree in indigenous islanderology. And so because I think the natural learning-doing process in healthcare is so disrupted, I believe inherently it will always maintain lower satisfaction rating from those that the **** falleth upon from on high.
Furthermore the AMA has a notorious history of dirty hardball politics...do some research...and I would expect now that the tables are turning they're are going to catch the fire, so to speak. Never underestimate
a motivated educated group of professionals who have a long history of subjugation. Physicians no longer hold all the trump cards and patient outcomes do not warrant restricting the practice rights of of nursing clinicians...again do some research. What does this mean for me...it means I still want to be a physician but will likely steer clear of certain fields due to what I believe is the inevitable erosion of physician market exclusivity against the enormous debt I'm likely to incur. Maybe Physicians should advocate for more and cheaper oppurtunities for education instead of taking such bellicose postures with every percieved threat, but this is highly unlikely because greed is the common denominator of many things including the hollow cry for better patient care standards that is the false inductive of the physician's education with regards to alot of primary care practice.--Ben.

Thank you for that accurate analysis. Everyone who wants to understand the complexities and tensions inherent in the nurse/physician relationship should read -

NURSING, PHYSICIAN CONTROL, AND THE MEDICAL MONOPOLY:
Historical Perspectives on Gendered Inequality in Roles, Rights, and Range of Practice.

Here is the website: http://iupress.indiana.edu/textnet/0-253-33926-X/0253108616.htm

sunnyjohn said:
CAN I GET AN AMEN????

:thumbup:

You got it!

One doc on another thread voiced his ability to make over $500,000 a year. If we divide that by the normal number of hours worked, 2080 (and he may work less as a gaspasser), you get $240 an hour. Now, I've made that in seminars and not have to supervise anyone. Maybe, I'm not a good example since I have multiple degrees so use a guy I know who I think doesn't even have a degree. I went to one of his bodywork seminars and counted 40 people there who paid $275 to attend. That comes to $11k for 12 hours or $917 an hour. I think, considering the debt and years of school a doc has to go through that this bodyworker is laughing all the way to the bank!

I've known rich people who were very unhappy. My salary is about to decrease by a big amount but I'm a happy fellow.

If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. Go to med school. Reinventing the wheel in silly ways like DrNP only creates hostility and marginalizes nurses more.

guetzow said:
If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em. Go to med school. Reinventing the wheel in silly ways like DrNP only creates hostility and marginalizes nurses more.

They will price themselves out of the market.

The nursing org will hunt me down based on IP address and you will probably never hear from me again after the hit with silenced Glock 40s, but here goes.

The DrNP push is coming from our organization for the advancment of primary care. Anesthesia people and CRNAs don't give two cents about this. Our job profile will not change or will pay status. IF (and that's a big if) the cir was set up so that it is indeed a residency-based program for a specific field of anesthesia (say, dedicated neuro, hearts, or trauma) then I may buy the pitch by the nursing orgs. But I know how these people operate and this just ain't gonna happen.

For those who doubt that sexist/abusive attitudes toward nurses still exist, take a look at what some Canadian medical students were recently up to.

This is the sort of behavior that contributes to nurses' dissatisfaction. It's not just about the money.

fab4fan said:
For those who doubt that sexist/abusive attitudes toward nurses still exist, take a look at what some Canadian medical students were recently up to.

This is the sort of behavior that contributes to nurses' dissatisfaction. It's not just about the money.

that was disgusting. :( the immaturity level is simply astonishing.

It is unfortunate that many nurses are still treated unfairly; this is , afterall the 21st century. A few of the earlier posts were more or less focusing on the unrealistic expectations of many nurses. Those RN's who really have more of a practitioner paradigm/attitiude in mind. I suggest the key to their happiness lies in attending NP, PA, or Med school. Some of the hostility towards nurses stems from this medical backseat driver mentality that more than a few RN's have. So, perhaps some of this undue treatment is actually self-inflicted in a way. For those RN's who do not Emasculate, or second guess Practitioners, there remains Truckloads of Respect.

guetzow said:
It is unfortunate that many nurses are still treated unfairly; this is , afterall the 21st century. A few of the earlier posts were more or less focusing on the unrealistic expectations of many nurses. Those RN's who really have more of a practitioner paradigm/attitiude in mind. I suggest the key to their happiness lies in attending NP, PA, or Med school. Some of the hostility towards nurses stems from this medical backseat driver mentality that more than a few RN's have. So, perhaps some of this undue treatment is actually self-inflicted in a way. For those RN's who do not Emasculate, or second guess Practitioners, there remains Truckloads of Respect.

Don't quite know how to take this. The key is to have a health care TEAM. A physician without an ego problem will not feel emasculated when he/she realizes that the person who spends the most time at the bedside and therefore can notice the smallest of changes in a patient just might not be a back seat driver as you say, but can provide valuable info in the care/treatment of the patient.