Unfair AUA Comprehend Clinical Science Examination (CCSE) Passing Policy HELP needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shjaffri

Mdresident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I need help and guidance from ALL members of SDN forum to guide my sister. She has completed 4 years at AUA, her rotations are completed as well, she scored 89% in Step 1 however AUA has a very strange requirement for taking Step 2 exam, AUA requires student to pass Comprehend Clinical Science Examination (CCSE) with their passing standard before they let student register for step 2.

http://www.auamed.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Student-Handbook.pdf (pg 11)

My sister is stuck in this exam it is now more than year, she is getting scores in 69-74% range and now AUA has increased the passing score from 76 to 79, which she seems like a un reachable score to us.

Can you please guide me and help my sister with alternative options. It is a very difficult time for us as it now seems like her career is under serious threat, and she is about to give up. Please advise shall we consider transfer options now, if yes what would be good possibilities in carrabian or other places like middle east / or south asia etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your sister should go to the right review program, learn the material, pass that stupid test, pass step 2 and simply graduate. If she has CS done, perhaps there's an opportunity out there with a good CK score if she finishes soon enough. Considering the next degree date is March 31st, there may not be enough time.

It's way too late for considering switching schools. It looks horrible on residency applications.

AUA is trying to boost its Step pass rates with these exams. Also, your sister must have had an opportunity to register for Step 2 before the end of September 2013.

From what I've been told, there are a butt-load of people held up from graduation unable to pass that CCSE exam. Someone unable to pass that exam probably won't do decent on step 2 CK, so it's a mixed blessing.

The rule changes are affecting more people than you could imagine but AUA is a business. My guess is they feel improving pass rates will result in title 4 lending.

I've been studying for step 3 and posting less but can/will respond to any PMs.

Why doesn't your sister start an account and come here to discuss it herself?

-Skip

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your sister should go to the right review program, learn the material, pass that stupid test, pass step 2 and simply graduate. If she has CS done, perhaps there's an opportunity out there with a good CK score if she finishes soon enough. Considering the next degree date is March 31st, there may not be enough time.

It's way too late for considering switching schools. It looks horrible on residency applications.

AUA is trying to boost its Step pass rates with these exams. Also, your sister must have had an opportunity to register for Step 2 before the end of September 2013.

From what I've been told, there are a butt-load of people held up from graduation unable to pass that CCSE exam. Someone unable to pass that exam probably won't do decent on step 2 CK, so it's a mixed blessing.

The rule changes are affecting more people than you could imagine but AUA is a business. My guess is they feel improving pass rates will result in title 4 lending.

I've been studying for step 3 and posting less but can/will respond to any PMs.
Thank you some really good and encourging advice. Since we are like desperate therefore looking for extreme options. I would really appreciate if you can guide us and recommend good approach towards this examination. Any good review program out there if we can take advantage of. Since now aua passing criteria is 79 percent we really need all the guidance and help we can get. Yes she can also sign up account here but I am helping her so she can save some time for examination

No review program helps. Many of my friends passed step 2ck and are applying for residency. Mind you they got >230 on step 1 and studied throughout and aced clinicals. AUA is ensuring only students with exceptional step scores graduate and match which I think is really helping the student. Mind you there have been 100s of AUA grads in the past who didnt end up practicing because of subpar step scores. I am guessing your sister got <225 on step1 and/or did not study enough during clinicals.

Also these restrictions were imposed by nbme and Kaplan due to extensive cheating (check student handbook on school website). AUA also took a hit from certain states and loan lenders cutting ties with the school due to extensive cheating, not to mention a good chunk of profs have been let go or quarantined. No other top tier carribbean school have such restrictions or sanctions at least for now. I don't see AUA in any matter helping students out of this entanglement.

I would recommend getting a 76-79 on the exam?

Also these restrictions were imposed by nbme and Kaplan due to extensive cheating (check student handbook on school website). AUA also took a hit from certain states and loan lenders cutting ties with the school due to extensive cheating, not to mention a good chunk of profs have been let go or quarantined. No other top tier carribbean school have such restrictions or sanctions at least for now. I don't see AUA in any matter helping students out of this entanglement.
Thanks for letting me address some of your concerns. AUA selects lenders that best meet the needs of our students we've never had a lender "cut ties" due to real or perceived cheating. AUA faculty members have not been "quarantined" or dismissed due to cheating. A Kaplan exam was published online; to maintain the integrity of the student body, AUA invited students to sit for a new exam. There is no evidence that the exam was leaked by an AUA student or anyone affiliated with AUA or that any AUA student cheated using the leaked exam. Our guidelines are determined with careful diligence and consultation with faculty, deans and administration at AUA including the Student Government. They are not established by an external organization and they are not set lightly. I urge the original poster to have his sister contact AUA to discuss her situation.

Thanks for letting me address some of your concerns. AUA selects lenders that best meet the needs of our students we've never had a lender "cut ties" due to real or perceived cheating. AUA faculty members have not been "quarantined" or dismissed due to cheating. A Kaplan exam was published online; to maintain the integrity of the student body, AUA invited students to sit for a new exam. There is no evidence that the exam was leaked by an AUA student or anyone affiliated with AUA or that any AUA student cheated using the leaked exam. Our guidelines are determined with careful diligence and consultation with faculty, deans and administration at AUA including the Student Government. They are not established by an external organization and they are not set lightly. I urge the original poster to have his sister contact AUA to discuss her situation.

This whole thread makes me think there's something fishy in Denmark. I don't understand how such an egregious policy is enforceable if the students take steps outside of the school's administration. If they've completed the pre-reqs to sit the exam, I don't see how the school could possibly prevent them from doing so. I don't even understand how Kaplan factors into this equation. With all due respect to those involved, my BS meter is pegging into the red.

So many experts on AUA, LOL!

Why ask for advice then? You understand that its no school's job to wipe your ass for you. They made a requirement. Either step up and get the grade, or dont.

With all due respect to those involved, my BS meter is pegging into the red.
How do students magically find out about step/shelf questions posted online? Unless by divine intervention, that can only occur unless faculty members or members of the admin having access to questions inform
Students beforehand. Kaplan and nbme find out students are scoring outrageously high and so formally investigate.

Bedevilled Ben - I also have my BS meter tuned high to buffer anyone defending this nonsense. Obviously NO OTHER school has these restrictions.

How do students magically find out about step/shelf questions posted online? Unless by divine intervention, that can only occur unless faculty members or members of the admin having access to questions inform
Students beforehand. Kaplan and nbme find out students are scoring outrageously high and so formally investigate.

Bedevilled Ben - I also have my BS meter tuned high to buffer anyone defending this nonsense. Obviously NO OTHER school has these restrictions.

I'm not defending anything since I clearly don't really have a horse in this race. If the school has this policy and students knowingly signed on, then tough cookies. They should have known what they were getting into. Even if that's the case, though, I don't see how the school can prevent students from signing up and taking Step 2, as that doesn't really require any authorization from the school and is done completely outside of the school itself. Finally, this involvement with Kaplan makes me raise an eyebrow, as they have no formal relationship with the NBME and are not a regulatory or examination board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not defending anything since I clearly don't really have a horse in this race. If the school has this policy and students knowingly signed on, then tough cookies. They should have known what they were getting into. Even if that's the case, though, I don't see how the school can prevent students from signing up and taking Step 2, as that doesn't really require any authorization from the school and is done completely outside of the school itself. Finally, this involvement with Kaplan makes me raise an eyebrow, as they have no formal relationship with the NBME and are not a regulatory or examination board.

All I can say is, this just makes the playing field more even across ALL top tier carribbean schools. A student from SGU, AUC, Ross or Saba who works their tail end off or even US DO and MD students would not want to compete in the same level playing field as a student from AUA badged with cheating scandals. I guess on part of AUA - enforcing these restrictions ensures only the best (i.e., students with >230 on avg on steps can graduate and apply for residencies).

Regardless of how much the school reps try to parley this conundrum, the damage has already taken place. NBME has chosen to abey the school, thus leading to an administration of exams by Kaplan. There is clearly a discourse between the school's admin, Student government who seem to impose restrictions to arbitrate perennial conflict of interest against students and likely faculty members who have been indicted.

Since this ONLY occurred to AUA and no other school in the carribbean - I don't see how else these restrictions were envisaged. Mind you if indeed these questions were posted online, why didn't ALL medical schools take action?

Why ask for advice then? You understand that its no school's job to wipe your ass for you. They made a requirement. Either step up and get the grade, or dont.

I was referring to the post stating that Kaplan and the NBME had imposed changes upon AUA.

Agreed with ChrisGriffen. Y'all are not doing any favor to yourselves here. There are hundreds of for profit diploma mill medical schools across the world now - each churning out thousands of medical school graduates. A majority of whom would want to practice in the United States and/or Canada. Just think long and hard before taking shortcuts and cheating is definitely not the answer - as you can see it can lead to devastating consequences. And for f's sake - Don't expect ANY medical school to bail you out once you sought to insidious measures to become a physician - do be forthcoming and honest.

Hello all, I need help and guidance from ALL members of SDN forum to guide my sister. She has completed 4 years at AUA, her rotations are completed as well, she scored 89% in Step 1 however AUA has a very strange requirement for taking Step 2 exam, AUA requires student to pass Comprehend Clinical Science Examination (CCSE) with their passing standard before they let student register for step 2.

http://www.auamed.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Student-Handbook.pdf (pg 11)

My sister is stuck in this exam it is now more than year, she is getting scores in 69-74% range and now AUA has increased the passing score from 76 to 79, which she seems like a un reachable score to us.

Can you please guide me and help my sister with alternative options. It is a very difficult time for us as it now seems like her career is under serious threat, and she is about to give up. Please advise shall we consider transfer options now, if yes what would be good possibilities in carrabian or other places like middle east / or south asia etc.

I definitely feel for your sister and she is not alone. I've completed my 4 years and the only thing keeping me from graduating is COMP and Step 2. I just received my CSSE Score today and didn't pass. I had missed the passing score by 7 points! In September, I had missed it by 4 points! Which put me at a passing Step 2 CK score. This was my 7th attempt over the span of 2.25 years! My UW Qbank is at a 70% average. I'm not the type to give up and I was so close to the end so I kept pressing on. After receiving my results today I did some soul searching and decided that life is too short to waste time on this stupid exam. I was never a great test taker but the funny thing was that I know the material better than those than scored much higher than I did. And I'm socially cooler than a bookworm nerd who study's his/her entire life. Every doctor I worked with and every patient I cared always praised that I'd make a great doctor because of who I am. It's really sad how much time and money I wasted on this test.

Interestingly, Paula Vincini is a very kind woman who works with Miss. Cecelia Downs. She told me the data she collected from this CCSE does not correlated with passing Step CK at all. There were students that passed the comp but couldn't pass step. So CCSE is not an accurate measure of passing Step. Which is the case for me. Because when studying for STEP 1. I was never able to pass any NBME's however I was able to get through the actual Step exam. Its not rocket science why either. Because the NBME's questions are outdated and very poorly asked. Anyone who's taken them knows. As opposed to Step are up to date and now with more bio stats and pharm rep questions. Another stupid addition to weed out the herd.

AUA doesn't help by putting the added pressure with the non-refundable policy of $150 per exam that needs to paid 1 month prior, without taking it consecutively, and achieving a 79% which is a 223 equivalent (209, CK pass score). AUA does a good job by adding stress with its never ending policy changes. They have sucked my ambition and aspirations for becoming a doctor. Thank you for making the world a sicker than it already is!

I definitely feel for your sister and she is not alone. I've completed my 4 years and the only thing keeping me from graduating is COMP and Step 2. I just received my CSSE Score today and didn't pass. I had missed the passing score by 7 points! In September, I had missed it by 4 points! Which put me at a passing Step 2 CK score. This was my 7th attempt over the span of 2.25 years! My UW Qbank is at a 70% average. I'm not the type to give up and I was so close to the end so I kept pressing on. After receiving my results today I did some soul searching and decided that life is too short to waste time on this stupid exam. I was never a great test taker but the funny thing was that I know the material better than those than scored much higher than I did. And I'm socially cooler than a bookworm nerd who study's his/her entire life. Every doctor I worked with and every patient I cared always praised that I'd make a great doctor because of who I am. It's really sad how much time and money I wasted on this test.

Interestingly, Paula Vincini is a very kind woman who works with Miss. Cecelia Downs. She told me the data she collected from this CCSE does not correlated with passing Step CK at all. There were students that passed the comp but couldn't pass step. So CCSE is not an accurate measure of passing Step. Which is the case for me. Because when studying for STEP 1. I was never able to pass any NBME's however I was able to get through the actual Step exam. Its not rocket science why either. Because the NBME's questions are outdated and very poorly asked. Anyone who's taken them knows. As opposed to Step are up to date and now with more bio stats and pharm rep questions. Another stupid addition to weed out the herd.

AUA doesn't help by putting the added pressure with the non-refundable policy of $150 per exam that needs to paid 1 month prior, without taking it consecutively, and achieving a 79% which is a 223 equivalent (209, CK pass score). AUA does a good job by adding stress with its never ending policy changes. They have sucked my ambition and aspirations for becoming a doctor. Thank you for making the world a sicker than it already is!

Hi everyone, I am thinking about starting AUA this fall and I am doing research on the best path to become a physician but I need advice if I should start it by investing my time, energy and most of all my money. I have exhausted all my options and this is the only offer I have. My life is at a standstill as I am working odd jobs to make ends meet. Really miserable life right now. I sometimes feel doubtful of going there but again I need to do something about my future. I want to see if anyone can advise me to go ahead with AUA or wait.

Hi everyone, I am thinking about starting AUA this fall and I am doing research on the best path to become a physician but I need advice if I should start it by investing my time, energy and most of all my money. I have exhausted all my options and this is the only offer I have. My life is at a standstill as I am working odd jobs to make ends meet. Really miserable life right now. I sometimes feel doubtful of going there but again I need to do something about my future. I want to see if anyone can advise me to go ahead with AUA or wait.

First, what are your stats, and where have you applied? Have you exhausted 2-3 full US MD/DO cycles. Have you pursued grade replacement and reapplied to DO schools? How and why did you choose AUA over St. Georges or Ross? If your mcat is weak, I would not recommend medical school at all, as the Mcat is a tiny test compared to the Steps. And in order to match from the Caribbean your steps need to be strong. I might be able to advise you better if you give more details.

Reactions: 1 users
First, what are your stats, and where have you applied? Have you exhausted 2-3 full US MD/DO cycles. Have you pursued grade replacement and reapplied to DO schools? How and why did you choose AUA over St. Georges or Ross? If your mcat is weak, I would not recommend medical school at all, as the Mcat is a tiny test compared to the Steps. And in order to match from the Caribbean your steps need to be strong. I might be able to advise you better if you give more details.

Hi, Thanks for your advice and suggestion. Well, my story is unique since I am a non-traditional student. I am almost 50 years old right now. I have taken the MCAT but as usual, it has not been a good experience so US medical school is NOT an option. I do not want to re-take it or even apply to the US med programs or DO programs. I personally do not believe that MCAT is a good indicator of success in med school. I have seen several people do terrible on the MCAT and are successful physicians. I know that the only route for me is the Caribbean.

My GPA is around a 3.0 in undergrad with post baccalaureate courses. I am in a state of confusion. Let me explain. I do want to study medicine. I know I have the passion but sometimes I have those doubtful thoughts about going to the Caribbean route. I am thinking about AUA over Ross or St George because of no MCAT requirement but with all the news that I keep hearing puts me in a doubtful situation. For example, their tough requirements to take the USMLE, wait times for clinical rotations and multiple attempts for residency placement. I was looking into the NRMP data and it shows exactly how many candidates are placed into residency match. It was scary to know that only 50% matched. I was not able to interpret the data so maybe someone can explain the chart that details matched and not matched for IMG's in Antigua and Barbuda.

My concern is if I take the Caribbean route like AUA, would my age be a factor in residency placement in addition to my step scores? Should I go ahead with AUA in the fall? My family and friends strictly oppose me to go this route so that puts me in a more doubtful situation. At the same time I need to get out of my current miserable life working odd jobs where I do not belong and wasting my life and all the money I spent on my past education. But again it's my decision at the end of the day. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Thanks for your advice and suggestion. Well, my story is unique since I am a non-traditional student. I am almost 50 years old right now. I have taken the MCAT but as usual, it has not been a good experience so US medical school is NOT an option. I do not want to re-take it or even apply to the US med programs or DO programs. I personally do not believe that MCAT is a good indicator of success in med school. I have seen several people do terrible on the MCAT and are successful physicians. I know that the only route for me is the Caribbean.

My GPA is around a 3.0 in undergrad with post baccalaureate courses. I am in a state of confusion. Let me explain. I do want to study medicine. I know I have the passion but sometimes I have those doubtful thoughts about going to the Caribbean route. I am thinking about AUA over Ross or St George because of no MCAT requirement but with all the news that I keep hearing puts me in a doubtful situation. For example, their tough requirements to take the USMLE, wait times for clinical rotations and multiple attempts for residency placement. I was looking into the NRMP data and it shows exactly how many candidates are placed into residency match. It was scary to know that only 50% matched. I was not able to interpret the data so maybe someone can explain the chart that details matched and not matched for IMG's in Antigua and Barbuda.

My concern is if I take the Caribbean route like AUA, would my age be a factor in residency placement in addition to my step scores? Should I go ahead with AUA in the fall? My family and friends strictly oppose me to go this route so that puts me in a more doubtful situation. At the same time I need to get out of my current miserable life working odd jobs where I do not belong and wasting my life and all the money I spent on my past education. But again it's my decision at the end of the day. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.
if you can't get an mcat score decent enough to get into a US school (and you want to practice in the US).....this isn't for you. don't waste the time and money going to the carribean. poor mcat scores are absolutely a predictor of step failure and you need more than a barely passed step to get a US residency from the carribean

Reactions: 4 users
if you can't get an mcat score decent enough to get into a US school (and you want to practice in the US).....this isn't for you. don't waste the time and money going to the carribean. poor mcat scores are absolutely a predictor of step failure and you need more than a barely passed step to get a US residency from the carribean

OK so what about people getting 18 on the old MCAT who have obtained residencies?

You are putting yourself into a terrible position if you start AUA, or any Carib school right now. First, the entire Caribbean grade scale is based on tests. Tests that are infinitely harder than the mcat. If you score anywhere near the same % bracket on any carib test that you received on the mcat, you will fail, and you will have 100k in debt at the very least.
AUA is notorious for their students taking over their 4 years to complete. They force you to take the Kaplin step one test, and struggle to schedule clinicals in a timely manner. If you have 200k-300k to throw around, and are really gung ho, sure, give it a shot. I would say your chance of completing and gaining a residency to be about 20%.
I'm not trying to be mean, just give you an honest idea of what life will be like. It is hard to adjust to island life, from 14 hours a day studying to suddenly becoming the lowest person on the totem pole.
If we do some statistics, given to me from a friend who just graduated from AUA, he said 40% were gone before step 1 time came. And then if we consider say 30% don't match, or match into prelims, that's a very large crap shoot for you to take. Assume it will take at least 5 years to graduate... plus your 3+ of residency, you will be 60 by the time you will start practicing.
Also, consider you will be trying to match from a carib school, and based off your past gpa/mcat, you will likely be scrapping the bottom for interviews come residency time. You will likely end up somewhere more on the malignant scale if you do match, so you need to be prepared to get your but worked off. At 57 years you need to decide if you think you can handle that.

Reactions: 1 users
MCAT is a weed out test. It does not test your ability to become a physician.

It might be a "weed out test" but it weeds those out who cannot study properly. It also weeds those out who do not have the proper reasoning and comprehension abilities to finish 100+ pages of reading assigned nightly. Yes, outliers exist, those who are phenomenal at rote memorization. Are you one of them? That's purely up to you to decide.

But just being compassionate will not grant you an M.D.

Reactions: 2 users

Same boat as you. I am applying for the Fall. Don't give up. I am applying to MUA and UHMS.

You still have not answered my statement about medical students with an 18 on MCAT obtained residencies.
"I heard about this one guy that made it this one time" ends up with you ignoring a very predictable indicator and doing something like this....

article-0-0EE6665A00000578-953_634x392.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Great! Are you limited to just those schools?
Yea I had a ton of issues with Family Life. Lost our home. I was a full-time student and had to do that while helping my parent in his clinic. It's an usual situation. He's going blind. But it's been a blessing in disguise cause I have learned so much and ended up loving this profession.

Yea I had a ton of issues with Family Life. Lost our home. I was a full-time student and had to do that while helping my parent in his clinic. It's an usual situation. He's going blind. But it's been a blessing in disguise cause I have learned so much and ended up loving this profession.

Hey, I am sorry to hear about your family situation. I am in a similar situation with family issues. Yes, medicine is a noble profession. It's hard but rewards are endless. So you are applying to MUA and UMHS. Why not the other schools like AUA, ross or St. George?

Well its not just one person who got 18. I have heard of plenty of them.

Well its not just one person who got 18. I have heard of plenty of them.

This may have been so for those who took it around 20 years ago, but not as prevalent as now. The MCAT unfortunately is a necessary evil that is needed to evaluate students. Do I think the MCAT does a good job at predicting board success? I think it does an OKAY job, but not a good one. I seriously think if the verbal were replace by another section and modifications to the physical science sections were made, the test would be far better predictor of competence. In the end, you need it as a gauge for yourself. You don't want to be 200 k in debt when you are reaching retirement age.

https://www.aamc.org/download/434596/data/usingmcatdata2016.pdf (pg. 48 with the info)

OK so what about people getting 18 on the old MCAT who have obtained residencies?

Same boat as you. I am applying for the Fall. Don't give up. I am applying to MUA and UHMS.

I really don't understand why individuals like you two don't work to get into PA schools instead of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend piece of trash Caribbean schools. AUA, MUA, UHMS are jokes. Only unintelligent individuals would even consider going to these schools. This may sound harsh, but I'm giving you some tough love.

The only Caribbean schools that should remotely be considered are SGU, Ross, and AUC. Even then, it's knowingly not recommended.

I really don't understand why individuals like you two don't work to get into PA schools instead of wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars to attend piece of trash Caribbean schools. AUA, MUA, UHMS are jokes. Only unintelligent individuals would even consider going to these schools. This may sound harsh, but I'm giving you some tough love.

The only Caribbean schools that should remotely be considered are SGU, Ross, and AUC. Even then, it's knowingly not recommended.

UHMS is owned by the Ross family just smaller class sizes.

UHMS is owned by the Ross family just smaller class sizes.

+ no NY accreditation (the most IMG friendly state)
+ no Cali accreditation (which means 7-8 other states are out)
If it's finances that's playing a factor, then i'd suggest SABA. It's the cheapest of the 50 state approved schools.

+ no NY accreditation (the most IMG friendly state)
+ no Cali accreditation (which means 7-8 other states are out)
If it's finances that's playing a factor, then i'd suggest SABA. It's the cheapest of the 50 state approved schools.

Yea finances also play a part. They may not be accepting so close to the fall anyway.

Why not AUA?

Well before they did not have the Student financial aid until this past Feb they just got it. But now their raising tuition and I'm just worried about were their heading I guess. But UHMS has sallie Mae but it's not the FAFSA. I believe MUA does have it.

Well before they did not have the Student financial aid until this past Feb they just got it. But now their raising tuition and I'm just worried about were their heading I guess. But UHMS has sallie Mae but it's not the FAFSA. I believe MUA does have it.
Really, I did not know MUA has FAFSA but I do not know if it is recognized in all the states.

Really, I did not know MUA has FAFSA but I do not know if it is recognized in all the states.

I believe they are waiting on CA approval or maybe they just haven't applied. I saw somewhere on here about it. But they have NY approval.

I believe they are waiting on CA approval or maybe they just haven't applied. I saw somewhere on here about it. But they have NY approval.

Please keep in mind that California approval is the most stringent and it BY FAR takes the longest to get it i.e. it'll be foolish to go to a school hoping it'll be Cali approved by the time you graduate. I'm not saying you are, but wanted to throw it out there for anyone reading.

Please keep in mind that California approval is the most stringent and it BY FAR takes the longest to get it i.e. it'll be foolish to go to a school hoping it'll be Cali approved by the time you graduate. I'm not saying you are, but wanted to throw it out there for anyone reading.
Yea that's true. The CA approval doesn't bother me as long as it has NY and FL.