UNECOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked. There isn't a UNECOM Class of 2013. So go start one!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I just created a facebook group UNECOM class of 2013. Its open to anyone who wants to join.

I would start a discussion on sdn but I really don't have anything to discuss right now. I paid my deposit.. thats about it for the next 6 months :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone knows the makeup of each entering class (ie/ online it says that the average entering class is 27 years old.) It also mentions that many of the matriculants have a master's degree. Does this mean that it is uncommon for an applicant to matriculate after 4th year university (who is only 22-23)? I appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going there next year and I'm a 22 year old in college right now. Just finished an exam in fact. On interview day there were a bunch of first years ranging in age from 22 on up. I'm sure it attracts people from a variety of age groups. Hope that helps!

I interviewed 11/18/08 and am dying to hear back. Has anyone else who interviewed around that time heard back? UNECOM is my first choice...i have been running to the mail box everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I interviewed on November 11th, and I'm also dying to hear back. Does anyone know for sure when the letters will be sent out? All I heard at my interview was "early December."

Hey
Has anyone that has been accepted or interviewed at UNECOM this year have similar stats as me? I am just trying to figure out if i should completely lose hope. Here are my stats:
MCAT: V:8, PS:6, BS:8 =22 O
Science cum: 3.6
overall cum: 3.63
I have great clinical experience and ECs as well as great LORs

Hey,
I have been accepted to UNECOM. I have a slightly higher MCAT (25R) but a lower GPA (3.5 Cum and 3.4 science). Are you from one of the New England states? There is a preference if you are from NE as well. Don't loose hope! I think that there will be a lot more interview invites as soon as they work out the tuition deposits they received over last week and last weekend. Good luck!

Funny you should ask if I am from there.. I was born and raised in Rhode Island but my parents recently moved to Saint Louis. So, isn't that unfortunate...I have family there still. Does that count..?

Sent my deposit in, it has been received and cashed, and I am an official member of UNECOM and the class of 2013 !! Feels great !!

Anyone else out there ??

Petey,

When was your interview? How long did it take you to hear a response from UNECOM after the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Petey,

When was your interview? How long did it take you to hear a response from UNECOM after the interview?

Hi TyGuy, my interview was October 14th and I got my letter November 14th. I think it depends on where your interview date is in relation to when the committee meets. Petey heard a few days before me, I know because it killed me that (he?) had his letter and I didn't :).

I am also officially $500 poorer. I wonder how many of us there are so far...

Yea TyGuy, my interview as like the Oct. 2nd and I got my letter like Nov. 7th or something. I would expect a month turnaround, maybe just a bit more with the holidays and all. Have you interviewed yet ??

And SarahJ, good to know a classmate. It's kinda geeky but i just bought 3 UNECOM T-shirts from the bookstore for Xmas gifts to my parents and girlfriend. Has anyone else been checking craigslist impulsively, even though we are like 8 months away ??

Thanks for the quick response! It's nice to know a general time frame of when letters are sent out. (I've been reading these forums daily for months now!) I interviewed earlier this December, it's a very exciting time!

Haven't checked here in a bit, but I have sent in my deposit to UNECOM as well. Its such a relief after being strung along on a wait list all last year (from March until mid-August!). TyGuy, my turn around was very similar to Petey's. Interviewed Oct 2nd and got a letter (thin envelope) around Nov 10th.

Petey- I interviewed on Oct 2nd as well. Did you go to BC and graduate a year after me? I think I remember talking with you during the day.

I interviewed on December 4th and I received my acceptance letter today December 17. I don't know what the average wait time is. But now I can understand why the tuition is so high at UNECOM. They sent the letter certified mail to FL and it cost $7. I'm flattered but what a waste of money.

Has anyone else been checking craigslist impulsively, even though we are like 8 months away ??

Checking craigslist for what? Do you mean checking the apartment listings? Because in that case- yes. :p

I have a delema and I was hoping to get some imput...

UNE has been my top choice since I decided that I wanted to go DO. I worked really hard to taper my application to make sure that I would be a strong applicant for them. But, to my disapointment, while I was getting interviews and acceptances to other schools I never heard back from them. It was not that I had anything against the other schools I was applying to, infact I was very impressed with some of them. Its just that I had kind of had my heart set on UNE. I lived in the New England area for a while and really fell in love with it.

Anyway, it came down to crunch time and I needed to make a choice so I decided to accept an offer from CCOM (a very good school, where I think I would be very happy). As fate would have it, about 2 weeks after I put in my deposit I got an email from UNE asking me to come interview.

So... what do I do? I had given up on UNE and was (and still could be) very happy with my decission to go to Chicago, but there's part of me that still wants to go out and interview. Is it worth the money?

I would like the opinion of current UNE students, or anyone for that matter. What makes UNE so great that I should spend all the extra money (both to interview and the money I could possibly lose in my deposit at CCOM) to try to get into UNE?

UNE has been my top choice since I decided that I wanted to go DO. I worked really hard to taper my application to make sure that I would be a strong applicant for them. But, to my disapointment, while I was getting interviews and acceptances to other schools I never heard back from them. It was not that I had anything against the other schools I was applying to, infact I was very impressed with some of them. Its just that I had kind of had my heart set on UNE. I lived in the New England area for a while and really fell in love with it.

Anyway, it came down to crunch time and I needed to make a choice so I decided to accept an offer from CCOM (a very good school, where I think I would be very happy). As fate would have it, about 2 weeks after I put in my deposit I got an email from UNE asking me to come interview.

So... what do I do? I had given up on UNE and was (and still could be) very happy with my decission to go to Chicago, but there's part of me that still wants to go out and interview. Is it worth the money?

I would like the opinion of current UNE students, or anyone for that matter. What makes UNE so great that I should spend all the extra money (both to interview and the money I could possibly lose in my deposit at CCOM) to try to get into UNE?

If you had your heart set on UNE I'd go for the interview and make a decision after. You only get to do medical school once.

I could list a number of reasons why you should come here. :) But, from a more objective standpoint, you won't know until you see for yourself, which means coming to interview.
I also had a hard time doling out the money during the interview process, but the fact is that it is an expensive process, and the sooner you accept that fact the sooner you can relax about it, not think about it, and enjoy the ride.

I just got my acceptance to UNECOM. I also have an acceptance to NOVA. I liked UNECOM a lot when I was up there...the community, people, small, New England feeling, and the scenery...but I've been in Manhattan for years now, and I was originally from California (although I lived in New England long enough to have my cold winters), I'm finding it hard to go with my gut and take UNECOM over NOVA, and I think it's just based on the warmth and sunlight. I'm 28, and I think that's kind of embarrassing as far as ways to pick a med school. NOVA felt like an infomercial, but so many people on SDN seem excited about it.

Is there anybody at UNECOM who can really help me outline the big differences *in the education/school* that helped them choose? Or anybody else making the same decision?

1) NOVA does prosection only...UNECOM does full dissection, correct?
2) UNECOM is system based, and NOVA isn't, but it's interdisciplinary and being changed.
3)UNECOM has really good matches, and they seem to be at better institutions, but maybe the names just sound "better" to me because they are in a region I am more familiar with...
4)the patient population lacks diversity at UNECOM
5)Neither has much research, but I think UNECOM has less...
argh...
any help would be sooo very appreciated, my non-refundable NOVA deposit is due on december 28th.

Last edited:
hey everyone! i've been a long time reader of this thread. congrats on all of the acceptances thus far! what a wonderful christmas present!

i have been complete since 10/28 and haven't heard anything from them. i was wondering if anyone completed their file after 10/28 and has heard anything. i know it hasn't even been 2 months and there has been a committee change and holidays in between, but i'm just so anxious! i'm from Texas and have ALWAYS wanted to go to New England (was supposed to go to Tufts, but family problems kept me home). just looking for some peace of mind. maybe i'll call them after the break.

happy holidays!

I got the email telling me my application was complete on 10/27. I was invited for an interview on 11/04.

Maybe it made a difference to be complete by Monday instead of Tuesday...I don't think their committee meets too often. Perhaps Monday 10/27 was the cutoff to go to the November committee to earn an interview (how frustrating). I know that the acceptance letters that just went out included people who interviewed from quite a wide spectrum of dates (I interviewed in mid Nov. but others seem to have interviewed a week into Dec.), so I wouldn't be surprised if interview invites reflected a wide spectrum of application completion dates, too.

If your MCAT or GPA weren't wonderful, they may have held onto your app for re-review...They are really nice, so of course just call and ask if you are worried. If you find out it was due to your MCAT or GPA this will allow you to write a letter of intent and tell them more info about yourself and why you love them.

Good Luck!

Hello all! I interviewed 11/13 and received my acceptance 12/18! :soexcited: Looking forward to meeting everyone! Go class of 2013!

I just created a facebook group UNECOM class of 2013. Its open to anyone who wants to join.

Where is that group? I found 2012 and 2011. We all need to connect!

Where is that group? I found 2012 and 2011. We all need to connect!

Hey, not sure what happened there. I made the group and can't find it either :p Anyway, it should be there now, check unecom 2013. And please join, because I feel silly as the only member!

I officially decided to not accept my admission to NOVA and to take my acceptance at UNECOM...I am tentatively assuming it will remain my top choice, since I have yet to have most of my interviews.

See you on facebook, and in August!

Anybody else get a Season's Greetings card in the mail from UNECOM?

I would have rather taken an interview offer instead of Happy Holidays!!

I also just received the holiday card and held my breath hoping for an interview invite...FAKE OUT!!

Hey all,
Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those still waiting to hear!! I was accepted and am very excited. Great school!
Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew how to pay the $500 deposit online via a credit card or if that's even possible. I'm just anxious because I don't want to miss the deadline and I think the Admissions Office is on winter vacation.
I hope this dumb question doesn't make you all, well, question why I got in. Haha. Thanks!!!!!!

I don't think you can pay with a CC on line... at least you couldn't when I applied. But if you're worried, pop the check into the mail and send them an email with the check number and when you sent it. They're not that strict on the deadlines for deposits - a day or two won't kill you. But a week or two... well, then they'll probably assume you don't want to take their offer.

Just wondering how a first years schedule would work for the first and second semester.

Thanks

I'm just wondering what classes you take and when. How soon till we see actual pts? Stuff like that. I couldn't seem to find anything on the website.

This is a quotes from page 5 of this forum:

Congratulations to everybody who has already been accepted and good luck to all of you who are in the application process. I was in your shoes last year and I feel your pain. UNECOM is a great school and I don’t say that just because I decided to go there. The faculty and staff are super nice and supportive. I would choose UNECOM any day over any other school but it fits me and it may not fit you.

Typical schedule for this year’s first year class (class of 2012):

Mondays:
8-12: Anatomy (Mandatory attendance for lab)
1-3: Physiology
3-5: Biochemistry

Tuesdays:
9-12: OMM*
1-3: Histology
3-5: Embryology

Wednesdays:
9-12: EOM* (Essentials of Osteopathic Medicine (intro. To physical examinations & medical humanities))
1-5: Histology Lab (students are split into groups for 1.5 hour long lab period (3-groups total))

Thursdays:
10-12: Biochemistry
1-5: Clinical Site Experience* (i.e. shadowing, frequency: approx. once a month; If you are not scheduled for that week it's “free” time).

Fridays:
8-12: Anatomy (Mandatory attendance for lab)
1-3: Physiology

Please note that this is a TYPICAL week for OUR class and may or may not change for the future incoming classes. Near the exam week everything changes and we have more "free" time to study in the afternoons.

One interesting thing about our schedule is that every 6th or 7th week we have all of our exams in one week (practical exams Tuesday-Thursday and written for all classes on Friday). The upside is that during the first couple of weeks after the exams you have more “free” time and need to study less, the downside is that during the last couple of weeks before the exams you have NO free time and is all studying.

Study time varies on individual basis, I typically study about 2 hours/day on weekdays and 4-5 hours/day on the weekends. Others do more and some do less!

You have 24/7 access to all labs (Histology, Anatomy and OMM) so it’s totally up to you how much, when and where you want to study.

* Indicates Mandatory Attendance, although I personally attend all classes, there are some folks who do not.

Also bear in mind that you'll probably spend more time in anatomy lab studying than is shown above.

I am hoping that some of you are/were in the same boat as me. I have accepted UNECOM's invitation but I still need to complete the biochem requirement. I am signed up for UNE's disatnce biochem class but with there being only one exam, I'm a little nervous. Any tips on what to focus on, which topics are important, or are the chapter quizzes similar to the final? Thanks!

Don't worry. I didn't take the distance course, but I heard it's very well run, very well organized, and you learn a ton. you'll be fine.

Would any current UNECOM 2nd, 3rd or 4th year student please tell me what UNECOM offers in terms of board prep for its second years?

For example, do they have a Kaplan class, do they devote any institutional time to board prep? How much time do you have between the end of 2nd years classes and the onset of 3rd year rotations? Much appreciated.

Board prep may be changing with Dean Gimple there. When I took boards last year, there was no formal board prep course and you HAD to take boards before June 30. With the last class right before Memorial Day, that left little time for studying. Especially if you were one of the students who didn't get in to choose their dates within the first five or ten minutes (I'm not kidding here) and got stuck with a date like June 9 or so. Yes, there were students in that situation. There were a few review courses taught by the professors, and some of these were good. Mostly, we were on our own.

You have to take boards before June 30 because you have to have a passing score BEFORE you start rotations (takes about 4-5 weeks to get scores back, rotations start just after Aug 1). I would highly (HIGHLY) recommend students save their pennies and pay for a board review course. They're not cheap, but it would be worth it if you're looking for a high score. If you're looking for average but passing, you'll be fine without a review course.

I am hoping that some of you are/were in the same boat as me. I have accepted UNECOM's invitation but I still need to complete the biochem requirement. I am signed up for UNE's disatnce biochem class but with there being only one exam, I'm a little nervous. Any tips on what to focus on, which topics are important, or are the chapter quizzes similar to the final? Thanks!

I took distance medical biochem this way just last summer. Fantastic class, easily the best distance learning course I've ever taken.

It's a lot of work, but don't be nervous. You're given a binder with all the learning objectives, which helps a ton. What I did was go through the book with the binder close at hand, making sure I hit each objective. After that, I viewed the lecture on DVD (again with the binder) to be sure I understood each objective well. Then, I did the chapter questions online. If I missed a question, or guessed on it, I reviewed the pertinent objective. If I was really stumped, I checked the class wiki page to review that objective. After that, it was on to the next chapter.

I was a bit nervous about the grade depending only on the final, but with the chapter questions, unit tests (there are 6), and a practice final, I knew exactly where I stood by the end of the course. I ended up with an A, and the feeling that I learned a lot in the class.

If you have any other questions about the class, feel free to PM me. They changed to a new edition of the textbook since I took it, but I doubt that much has changed.

Is this class a requirement for all UNECOM matriculants or just those who have not taken biochem before?

Since in med school you will be studying biochem during 1st and/or 2nd year, why does UNECOM have this class? Is their curriculum especially weak in biochem prep or do they need to make room for OMM by outsourcing subjects to summer classes?

You are required to have biochem prior to matriculation. If you have not satisfied this requirement in regular undergrad fashion, you can take the distance course to satisfy the requirement. However, if you have already taken and passed biochem, you don't need to take it from UNECOM.

is it too late to send in the secondary now? i got the holiday greetings card and an email asking about my secondary app from RSAS, and they said i have till the 9th to send it in, but i figure its really too late now right?

i mean to have a legit shot at getting in

Status
Not open for further replies.