UNECOM Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to all of the 2014!

Long story short, I was a (very) late applicant......but I applied just in time and received an interview for the 13th. Does anyone know if there are still others interviewing? I can only imagine this has got to be near the last round of interviews.

UNECOM has literally won my heart and I've got fingers and toes crossed that they're still handing out acceptances!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I interviewed on March 11 and was accepted yesterday, so they are still handing out some acceptances!

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

I just submitted my initial $500 acceptance deposit today. The next deposit is $1500 and is noted as "refundable." I am having trouble locating details with regards to the 2nd deposit. Anyone have info. or links?

Thanks.

hey guys. i was just notified that im on the "accept space available" list for unecom class of 2014. is anyone else on this list? what are the chances of me getting off this list? is there also an "alternate list" or a "waitlist" or is the accept space available list basically the waitlist?? really need to figure this out.. anyone!?!?!

Yea I got that same letter today. I figure that it's the waitlist...it also stated that it's ranked and I'm wondering if they would let us know our rank??? Did you interview recently? I interviewed on the 13th...

I received my acceptance in February, but haven't posted here since.

I managed to find housing remotely. I'm in AZ so traveling just to apartment shop seemed silly so I went through the UNE housing links and found someone that catered specifically to UNECOM students. Place I found was a studio for $525/month with utilities (+$30/mo for parking space closer to the building... I guess, not sure what that's all about). Not sure how good of a deal that is, but being able to fully predict cost gave me some degree of comfort.

I wish I could enjoy my summer prior as suggested here, but honestly I'll be continue working as a Neuroscience ICU nurse all the way up until I move (or close to it). Financially it's a great move... but honestly I wish I could escape nursing/medicine for a bit. It's just not in the cards. For those that can enjoy the time off.... do.

However, for me, escaping AZ heat mid summer will be vacation enough (I hope).

Last edited:
I received my acceptance in February, but haven't posted here since.

I managed to find housing remotely. I'm in AZ so traveling just to apartment shop seemed silly so I went through the UNE housing links and found someone that catered specifically to UNECOM students. Place I found was a studio for $525/month with utilities (+$30/mo for parking space closer to the building... I guess, not sure what that's all about). Not sure how good of a deal that is, but being able to fully predict cost gave me some degree of comfort.

I wish I could enjoy my summer prior as suggested here, but honestly I'll be continue working as a Neuroscience ICU nurse all the way up until I move (or close to it). Financially it's a great move... but honestly I wish I could escape nursing/medicine for a bit. It's just not in the cards. For those that can enjoy the time off.... do.

However, for me, escaping AZ heat mid summer will be vacation enough (I hope).

I hear you about wanting to take the summer off. I just finished my MPH at Emory and am stuck working for the next 10 weeks or so before I head to Maine in mid-July. I would love the summer off...

Just accepted from the "Acceptance Space Available" list on April 28th. I interviewed April 13th.. So they are taking people from that list and probably will take some people from the waitlist as well.

Also, Its NotLupus.. did you interview on April 13th as well?

Congrats to the UNECOM class of 2014!!:D

Just accepted from the "Acceptance Space Available" list on April 28th. I interviewed April 13th.. So they are taking people from that list and probably will take some people from the waitlist as well.

Also, Its NotLupus.. did you interview on April 13th as well?

Congrats to the UNECOM class of 2014!!:D

OBGYN, yea I was there on the 13th...I'm hoping that means the Acceptance Space Available list is pretty short and I'll be hearing something soon. Did you receive something in the mail or did they call you?

The ASA list is the high waitlist. I think if you don't get off the ASA list you are offered a position in next year's class... or that's how it used to be.

The ASA list is the high waitlist. I think if you don't get off the ASA list you are offered a position in next year's class... or that's how it used to be.

Yea I just got an email inviting me to next year's class if I don't get moved to the accepted list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Incoming 2014-ers...

We have been renting our 4-bedroom house to UNECOM students for the past few years, and would very much like to continue this trend in the Fall of 2010. The house is a comfortable, 2-story residence on a quiet street about 5 minutes from UNE... straight down Pool Road.

There are 4 bedrooms (3 up, 1 down) and one and a half baths (1 down, 0.5 up). There IS off-street parking and a one car garage (which is room for 3 cars, if you plan it right) which makes a huge difference every time there is a snowstorm. Rent is $1200 per month, utilities not included.

This is a house, not an apartment, which makes it much nicer for living during the school year. We also have a reliable local handyman available on call for anything that needs to be handled. There is no yard to worry about mowing, and the backyard is very small with only a few flowers and plants back there.

We would be happy to provide pictures if anyone is interested in a nice, quiet, and comfortable place to live during the classroom years of your medical education. Thanks, and good luck at UNECOM!

Susan - [email protected]

Ah, sorry, taken!

Last edited:
Anyone heard from the school about loans (did my MPNs a long time ago), schedules, books, or the like? It's been kinda eerily silent last couple months. Just wondering if it was just me or everyone.

Anyone heard from the school about loans (did my MPNs a long time ago), schedules, books, or the like? It's been kinda eerily silent last couple months. Just wondering if it was just me or everyone.

I didn't care for the radio silence either so I called the FA office. I was actually pretty much all set, but in terms of piece of mind, it's worth it.

If you've done your MPNs for stafford and grad plus, you're done. Just wait for your check. But be aware your refund may not come for a couple of weeks after you start so you'll need some money to start things up.

You'll get more information soon. They've been busy with graduation and stuff.

Congrats everyone! I am a second year at UNECOM and I am sure you all will be seeing a lo of the second years! If you have any questions let me know. Otherwise rest, relax and enjoy your summer! School will be here sooner than you know it!

Hi RN2DO, I was just wondering how you guys chose to assign 3rd year clerkship rotations this year. What kind of lottery/choosing system did you use? Thanks much!

I was in charge of the lottery this year. How it works is there is about 12 sites that have 8, 16 or 20 spots. The "lottery" occurs 1 evening in Feb. When it begins the students disperse to the site they want. If there are 8 spots available and 8 people show up then they all get that site. If 9 show up then all their ping pong balls with their assigned number go into a hat and 7 balls get drawn out. The 1 extra spot goes into a "common pool" where people can essentially get another opportunity to get their 1st choice. I think 90% people got their 1st or 2nd choice. Really I think it is a pretty fair way to do it.

Oh haha, how ironic that you were in charge of it! That sounds like a good system. It's nice that most people get their 1st or 2nd choice. I can remember the stressful room draw lottery in college...people knew their lottery number beforehand and it was such a mess! Ping pong balls are much more civilized...

Hi everyone,
I am a 3rd year UNECOM student doing my rotations at Maine Medical Center in Portland. I have a place in Old Orchard Beach that I bought as a first year. It is an awesome place to live and several other students live there as well. It is in a brand new building right on the water. The unit is amazing. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. Last year 1 rented it to 2 unecom students, a first and a second year. The second year is off to start his rotations in the Berkshires, so I am looking for someone to fill his spot. The other room is set up as an office in the off season. The rent is $700 a month. As it is also a vacation rental, so it is hooked up. There is a fitness room sauna, a pool and more, so its the perfect place to both study and relax when school is killing you. You don't need to bring anything. Everything is there, even my old text books (so you don't need to buy your own). Check out this page for all the details on the unit and awesome photos http://www.vrbo.com/184453. Let me know if your interested,
Mark

If anyone is looking for a place to rent beginning this August we have 1 bedroom left in a 4 bedroom house about 3 miles from campus. Rent is $475. The house is for UNECOM students only. Message me for details.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm trying to remember if first year students still have a block schedule. If so, that means that we have exams approximately every three weeks, right? I'm trying to plan ahead a bit (I have to travel a few weekends in the fall and am trying to guesstimate in advance.

Anyone know what our first block will be?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I'm trying to remember if first year students still have a block schedule. If so, that means that we have exams approximately every three weeks, right? I'm trying to plan ahead a bit (I have to travel a few weekends in the fall and am trying to guesstimate in advance.

Anyone know what our first block will be?

Hi Coal,
I'm a second year UNECOMer. The blocks are every 6-7 weeks so anticipate your first block exams to be either the first or second week of Sept. Hope that helps you. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Good luck and enjoy the rest of your summer! I mean it!

Room for rent on the beach!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,
I am a 3rd year UNECOM student doing my rotations at Maine Medical Center in Portland. I have a place in Old Orchard Beach that I bought as a first year. It is an awesome place to live and several other students live there as well. It is in a brand new building right on the water. The unit is amazing. It has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath. Last year 1 rented it to 2 unecom students, a first and a second year. The second year is off to start his rotations in the Berkshires, so I am looking for someone to fill his spot. The other room is set up as an office in the off season. The rent is $700 a month. As it is also a vacation rental, so it is hooked up. There is a fitness room sauna, a pool and more, so its the perfect place to both study and relax when school is killing you. You don't need to bring anything. Everything is there, even my old text books (so you don't need to buy your own). Check out this page for all the details on the unit and awesome photos http://www.vrbo.com/184453. Let me know if your interested, You can email me at [email protected] or drop me a line at 202-368-2778
Mark

Any advice for a soon to be 1st year? Half excited/half nervous to be starting med school in a week.

Any advice for a soon to be 1st year? Half excited/half nervous to be starting med school in a week.

Hi Iceman,
I remember feeling the same way last year at this time. My advice....Enjoy this last week! DO NOT THINK ABOUT SCHOOL AT ALL!!!! Soon enough it'll be all that you'll be thinking about so enjoy every moment of this last week.
Also, during the upcoming year, try to figure out a balance between schoolwork and life. Don't put school first as tempting as it may be. Make sure you invest time into relationships (old ones and new ones) hobbies, and activities. Above all have fun! The stress of school can be quite overwhelming at times, and I would bet money that every single one of has cried and wondered why we all decided to do this. But it gets easier. Find a good group of people to study with, divide the work, and share memorization techniques or study aids. Find second years who will share study guides or books. The first year IS the hardest...so enjoy your free time this week and remember to have balance. Good luck!

I think each year is the hardest as you go through them. As a second year you'll look back on first year and think "how could I have thought it was so hard?" Third year you'll be fondly thinking of all the time you had first two years, fourth year you'll be busy trying to land a residency position (but really fourth year is nicely cushy if you set it up right). Ok, so fourth year isn't hardest. But can be the most difficult for travel.

Then comes intern year. A whole new set of "hardest" things.

I think each year is the hardest as you go through them. As a second year you'll look back on first year and think "how could I have thought it was so hard?" Third year you'll be fondly thinking of all the time you had first two years, fourth year you'll be busy trying to land a residency position (but really fourth year is nicely cushy if you set it up right). Ok, so fourth year isn't hardest. But can be the most difficult for travel.

Then comes intern year. A whole new set of "hardest" things.

:thumbup:

Sabe quando uma rajada de fumaça é solta dentro de um espaço de largas medidas e cada filetinho vai, ed hardy clothesaos poucos, dominando todo o ambiente, numa espécie de dança que paralisa o olhar? Parece cena de uma fotografia corriqueira, mas para mim é o equivalente à condição de uma figura de São Paulo, que vem ganhando espaço de uma maneira saborosa, dentro do cenário da fotografia. Sem floreios ou meias-palavras, mas com muita pesquisa, a fotógrafa Carla Romero construiu o Granulado, um blog que acolhe todos os seus porquês em relação ao universo fotográfico. ed hardy clothingLá na definição do blog, Romero postou: “A Palavra de ordem do Granulado é FOTOGRAFIA. Vou postar aqui gulodices fotográficas. Coisas bacanas que fazem meu coração bater mais forte. Meu nome é Carla Romero e basicamente sou uma curiosa”. A fórmula está dando certo e gradativamente “as batidas de coração”, em versão web, alcançam as rodas de discussões, não por acolher apenas assuntos polêmicos – como uma confusão de créditos encenada pelos jornais Folha de São Paulo e Jornal da Tarde -, mas também, por dar ao leitor contribuições importantes como um post sobre a associação entre a Biblioteca Nacional ed hardy perfumedos Estados Unidos e o Flickr, e um outro sobre a primeira mostra individual de Linda McCartney com fotos exclusivas dos Beatles.

Hi 2014!

I'm moving to RI for rotations and my 2 bedroom apt will be vacant starting May 1st. Its a nice place, 2nd floor of a house right on pool street. The apartment has 2 good size bedrooms, an office with washer/dryer, full kitchen. There's an in-ground pool in the backyard that you can use in the summer. The landlord doesn't allow cats, but dogs are not a problem.There's a nice back yard so you don't have to stress out about taking the dog out during block exam week- if you have one. The tenants downstairs are nice people. Year round rental, $950 a month heat included.

If interested call Josh at (207) 807 6575 (nice guy)

Thanks!