All Branch Topic (ABT) Understanding your Orders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiankum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, just got my Orders this week to PCS in a few months. First time ever going through this and I'm trying to set up a DITY move but the website is asking me for the date of the orders. I've read them 4 times now and still can't find the orders date. Would it be the date that they were sent to me?? Why are they so dang complicated to read too?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

So, just got my Orders this week to PCS in a few months. First time ever going through this and I'm trying to set up a DITY move but the website is asking me for the date of the orders. I've read them 4 times now and still can't find the orders date. Would it be the date that they were sent to me?? Why are they so dang complicated to read too?

Thanks in advance.

I just got my orders as well. As far as I can tell, the date of my orders (and yours is probably the same) is Feb 2014. There is not a more exact date than that written anywhere else. Will the website accept Feb 2014 as an order date? If it wants a more specific date, I would just put the date you received the orders.

There is not a more exact date than that written anywhere else. Will the website accept Feb 2014 as an order date? If it wants a more specific date, I would just put the date you received the orders.

Thank man. Yeah, the website wants a specific date, so I just put when the orders were e-mailed to me. Hey, here's another question though. I read online that if we want to do a DITY move then our orders should have our dependents listed. Is that true? If it is, then something went wrong because my fan isn't even mentioned in my orders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank man. Yeah, the website wants a specific date, so I just put when the orders were e-mailed to me. Hey, here's another question though. I read online that if we want to do a DITY move then our orders should have our dependents listed. Is that true? If it is, then something went wrong because my fan isn't even mentioned in my orders.

In Part II of my orders, it states:

"This transfer funded for member and authorized dependents as reflected on service record page two, per JFTR U5215, dependents acquired on or prior to the effective date of orders are authorized travel/transportation allowances from the place at which acquired to the new PDS, up to the travel/transportation entitlement for travel from old PDS to the new PDS. Please refer to JFTR Appendix A for definition of effective date of PCS orders."

Is this statement in your orders? I don't think the orders need to specifically list the names of your dependents, because it states that you are authorized travel/transportation entitlements for dependents listed on your Page 2, as long as they were listed there before these orders were issued.

Yeah, that statement is in my orders as well. Have you set up a DITY move before? I'm going through the process now and holy cow the process is convoluted. When are we allowed to start purchasing supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap) for the move? I know we have to save all receipts, but it never said if there was a timeframe before the move in which you can make your purchases and start the process.

Thanks for all your help, Blake. Where did you get your orders for, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, that statement is in my orders as well. Have you set up a DITY move before? I'm going through the process now and holy cow the process is convoluted. When are we allowed to start purchasing supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap) for the move? I know we have to save all receipts, but it never said if there was a timeframe before the move in which you can make your purchases and start the process.

Thanks for all your help. Where did you get your orders for, if you don't mind me asking?

I actually haven't done a DITY move before. I had the Air Force move me in the past, so this will be my first go at a DITY as well. Before you start purchasing anything or making U-Haul reservations, have you filled out the DD Form 2278 and had your PPM (personally procured move) approved? This is the very first and most important step. Don't spend any money until it is approved, or you may not be reimbursed. I think you can do it online now, but I would suggest doing it in person if you happen to live near a base, since having someone walk you through it your first time will take some of the mystery out of it.

I'm going to Camp Lejeune, NC to do an AEGD. It was my second choice and I really wanted to go greenside, so I am super excited.

Alright, so I went to start the DITY move process, and you're right, it is very complicated. Here are a few things that I learned:

1. The exact order date is hidden in a code; we can't just use the date we received the orders. On the second line of the first page where it says "Feb 14," there is a group of numbers and letters right before the Feb 14. The first two digits of that number is the exact day. Mine says "251047z Feb 14," so my order date is 25 Feb 2014. The rest of that code is probably the time, 1047hrs zulu time zone.

2. The order number is the 4 digit number right after where it says "BUPERS ORDER:" It is on the first page after the subject. This was a bit more obvious, but just in case anyone else didn't see it.

3. The Headquarters issuing orders is COMNAVPERSCOM.

4. I tried to set up my personally procured move (PPM), but was getting stuck at the part where it is supposed to calculate the government constructive cost (GCC). Apparently, it is too early to set up a PPM for sometime in May because the rates they use to calculate the cost will have changed by then. If you are wanting to move sometime in mid May or June, you have to wait for the new rates to be released, which is 1 May. So you have to wait until 1 May to set up your PPM. This is true whether you try to do it online, or at a TMO office on base.

Remember, this step is to apply for approval to do a PPM, so it is possible that they may deny your request or make you change the date of your move. So, you can probably go ahead and make reservations for the moving truck, hotels along the way, and anything else you can reserve without paying up front, but I wouldn't spend any money yet until you are sure it is approved and you will be reimbursed.

You ROCK! Thanks for the info man. I've been battling with this crap all day trying to figure it out. Good call on not spending any money yet. Looks like we have to wait till May. I'll try to set it up at ODS since I'll be there till May 09 anyway.

No problem. They will definitely give you time to go to the Personal Property Office and set up your PPM while you are there. You will enjoy ODS; I had a blast! When they have you sign up for duties in the very beginning, volunteer to be the guidon bearer. It's the best job in the company!

What other duties are there?

Division Officer - Student responsible for entire company

Assistant Division Officer

Drill Body - Calls cadence and marches the company

PT Leader - leads morning PT and in charge of remedial PT for those who fail

Remedial swim instructor - swims daily with those who fail swim test

Mail officer - responsible for the company's mail

Religious service coordinator - in charge of processing all requests to attend religious services every weekend

Guidon Bearer - responsible for carrying the company's guidon (colors or flag) while they march. It's the best job!

There might be some other jobs, but that's all I can think of right now.

You are THE MAN! Thanks for the info.