Undergrad Summer Internships/Fellowships to pursue if interested in MD/MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rams1986

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm currently a freshman at Stanford University, and I'm a prospective medical student. However, I know for certain that I would like to do something more than just clinical/hospital practice- I'm not exactly sure what that is at this point, but im thinking along the lines of healthcare delivery/pharmaceutical industry/governmental adminstration. So I'm definitely looking at an MD/MBA, or possibly an MD/JD, though I've heard those arent as useful. I realize that I probably sound ridiculous thinking this far down the road, but just bear with me for a moment.

As far as major goes, I'm not entirely sure- I'd like to do something like economics or public policy, but premed reqs have essentially taken over my schedule for now, so I havent been able to get into those classes yet.

I've done lab research for the past 3 summers during high school, and have had one publication, and received some research awards during high school- but I'd really like to do something different from working in a lab, just as a change of pace, with more direct social implications . I've been looking at governmental/policy internships for this summer, but I'm afraid that if I stray too far from the medical vein, that the experience will be seen as "not relevant enough" by medical schools. With my goals in mind, can you all suggest any well-regarded internships/fellowships that would give me meaningful experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I've always wanted to intern at a drug company (Pfizer, J&J, etc) to see the process of bringing bench discoveries to the general public. They also have many positions outside of research, such as marketing, finance, and others. I also might enter pharmaceutics, and what better way to prepare? I think relevance is determined by you and not med schools--it's not up to them to decide what experiences you think will contribute to your future. Different activities like govt/policy may make you a more unique and well-rounded applicant as well.

I'm relatively young and inexperienced compared to many in this forum, so take my words with a grain of salt. Oh man, and if I were you in Stanford, I would head straight to Silicon Valley for any experiences. I'm shooting for an md/mba from there--how sweet would that be. This may be a longshot, but--ever looked into healthcare VC (venture capital) in the valley? I would kill to do something there as an undergrad, if even just watch on the sidelines.