Under which category do I belong to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexorbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. before you guys 'crucify' me please hear out my dilemma.

I know this is very simple but I am really confused. :confused::confused::confused:

I've been browsing the P.I. medical school applications and it has two categories.

1.) For Filipino and Resident Aliens Application Forms and,
2.) Non-Filipino and Non-Resident Alien Application Forms

So, I'm a Filipino Citizen with a Permanent Resident Status here in the U.S and I do not know (really) which category I belong to. Is it #1 or #2?

And since I'm currently staying here in the U.S., when I apply to these medical schools, do I have to pay the "foreign fees?"

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank You. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You're a Filipino. Apply as a Filipino. Use your Filipino address and phone number on the application. Get your Filipino relatives to drop off the application. Don't mail it from the US.

The intent of the dual citizenship law is quite clear. You should be treated like other Filipinos. Don't tell the school you have a US bank account or then someone in the office may decide to charge you "foreign fees".

Caveat emptor.

Some schools try to charge "foreign fees" to anyone who completed an undergraduate degree overseas. This is contrary to Filipino law but the practice continues anyway because the court system is basically non-functional.

Different schools have different policies. Choose a school with a policy that you understand, and can live with. Choose a school that treats you fairly and in accordance with the law.

You're a Filipino. Find a school that will treat you as a Filipino. If your first choice balks, then pick your second or third choice.

Thanks saipan...

But the thing is, I had my undergraduate degree in the Philippines too though I'm not sure if that counts for something...

I'm just gonna have to call them to clarify...

Thanks again! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm exactly in the same position as you. I'm a Filipino and a green card holder. I will be a dual citizen by the time I'll send my applications to medical schools in the Philippines. I'm looking at Cebu Doctor's University and I emailed them. Here's their reply. BTW, I'm currently in a nursing program and will soon receive my BSN from ASU, but I'm currently in the cross-roads right now since I could continue as an NP and continue living my life or put it on hold for an MD.

-----------------------------

Thank you for your email.

These are the answers to your questions:

Students with dual citizenship are considered foreign students and will pay a Foreign Student Fee with a discount of 50%.

The requirement from the Commission on Higher Education is a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree. However, it will be to your advantage if you take up some subjects to better prepare you for medical school, such as Organic Chemistry, Vertebrate Zoology or Comparative Anatomy.

The tuition fees and miscellaneous fees for foreign students and locals are exactly the same except for the Foreign Student Fee and the Foreign Student Documentation Fee. The following are the fees for Academic Year 2009-2010 that started June 15, 2009. There is generally a 6% annual increase in fees.

First Semester:
Tuition and Misc Fees PHP 72,718.71
Foreign Student Fee 35,000.00
FS Doc Fee 500.00
Total 108,218.71

Second Semester:
Tuition and Misc Fees PHP 66,988.71
Foreign Student Fee 35,000.00
FS Doc Fee 250.00
Total 102,238.71

The NMAT score has a weight of 20%, the Transcript of Records 70%, and the personal interview 10% in the computation for ranking of First Year applicants.

You may take the USMLE while in the College of Medicine. We also allow our students to do all or part of their Fourth Year rotations in the US as long as these are done in a teaching hospital. The students must be allowed not just to observe but to handle patients, take their histories, do a complete physical examination, and participate in the day-to-day management of the patients. An evaluation of the student by the US faculty member in charge is required at the end of each rotation in the US.

Thanks saipan...

But the thing is, I had my undergraduate degree in the Philippines too though I'm not sure if that counts for something...

I'm just gonna have to call them to clarify...

Thanks again! :)

Then, the more you have to consider yourself VERY Filipino as you had your undergrad there. Don't go to any school that will charge you a foreign fee.

"I'm exactly in the same position as you. I'm a Filipino and a green card holder. I will be a dual citizen by the time I'll send my applications to medical schools in the Philippines. I'm looking at Cebu Doctor's University and I emailed them. Here's their reply. BTW, I'm currently in a nursing program and will soon receive my BSN from ASU, but I'm currently in the cross-roads right now since I could continue as an NP and continue living my life or put it on hold for an MD."

Hey, I was like you before, confused of whether getting MSN and NP, earn $$$$, than MD, but I realized, why not go all the way then. It may be a long, arduous journey but it'll be worth it in the end. :D

So CDU do allow foreign clinicals, but do you arrange them on your own or they have affiliations with hospitals like UE and Fatima has?

Then, the more you have to consider yourself VERY Filipino as you had your undergrad there. Don't go to any school that will charge you a foreign fee.

"VERY" Filipino,

that gave me a chuckle. :D

Thanks Tantrum!
By the way, what medical specialty are you in now? If you don't mind me asking....

, I was like you before, confused of whether getting MSN and NP, earn $$$$, than MD, but I realized, why not go all the way then. It may be a long, arduous journey but it'll be worth it in the end. :D

So CDU do allow foreign clinicals, but do you arrange them on your own or they have affiliations with hospitals like UE and Fatima has?

I really don't know, but judging from the way he wrote, I think it's up to us to arrange our clinicals in the US. I'm planning on doing all of my fourth year rotations here, preferably in Arizona or California, and get the necessary LOR's.

I'm just curious, are you already a nurse and about to apply to medical schools in the Philippines or are you just planning?

I really don't know, but judging from the way he wrote, I think it's up to us to arrange our clinicals in the US. I'm planning on doing all of my fourth year rotations here, preferably in Arizona or California, and get the necessary LOR's.

I'm just curious, are you already a nurse and about to apply to medical schools in the Philippines or are you just planning?

Oh, I see.
Yes, I'm a nurse and planning to apply...