Filipino Medical Schools and undergraduate degrees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gil t azel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it matter what you major in? I’d like to major in anthropology instead of studying Biology which I‘m doing now. If it doesn’t matter, what other science classes would you recommend taking as a non-science major in preparation for med school in the phillipines. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

gil t azel said:
Does it matter what you major in? I’d like to major in anthropology instead of studying Biology which I‘m doing now. If it doesn’t matter, what other science classes would you recommend taking as a non-science major in preparation for med school in the phillipines. Thanks.

hi, well sure you can go into anthropology. science subject requirements vary from school to school, there is no standard. you can contact the schools you're interested in applying to and ask them for a list of their requirements (most of the prerequisite subjects overlap anyway) and then take the prerequisite subjects along with your other classes or just take an extra year after graduation to take the subjects.

if you plan to do undergrad in the states you might wanna give med school in the states a shot first before considering pinoy schools.

just my dos pesos

later.

gil t azel said:

Hi...it would depend on what school you're going to be applying in. For most of the schools, they would require about 15 units in biology, 10 units in chemistry, 5 units in physics, about 12 units in either English or Filipino or both, some schools require about 3 units of a computer subject. For others, it's enough that you have a good scholastic standing and able to get a good score on the NMAT. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there! newbie here. i always wanted to be a doctor. currently, im on my 4th year of nursing and i wanna go to med school after taking the local board. i wasn't interested with nursing rather i wanna take biology for med so.. yeah i flank some subjects during my 1st and 2nd year :oops: and right now im worried if i could get into med school. but hey i did well <after retaking those subjects hehe>. 'nataohan na po ako :oops: .' right now im making a good shot. the med school im planning to get into are not that strict with additional credits <18 units of natural sciences: bio, physics, chem.>. in fact i could get into med school next year without taking any additional subjects to fill up my 14 units of nat. sci. HOPEFULLY. they require a science degree holder <bs/ab> and the nmat. im worried. i wanna be a doctor. :( :( :(

gibbarBSN said:
hi there! newbie here. i always wanted to be a doctor. currently, im on my 4th year of nursing and i wanna go to med school after taking the local board. i wasn't interested with nursing rather i wanna take biology for med so.. yeah i flank some subjects during my 1st and 2nd year :oops: and right now im worried if i could get into med school. but hey i did well <after retaking those subjects hehe>. 'nataohan na po ako :oops: .' right now im making a good shot. the med school im planning to get into are not that strict with additional credits <18 units of natural sciences: bio, physics, chem.>. in fact i could get into med school next year without taking any additional subjects to fill up my 14 units of nat. sci. HOPEFULLY. they require a science degree holder <bs/ab> and the nmat. im worried. i wanna be a doctor. :( :( :(

hi! you might want to check out other schools that no longer require a specific number of units per subject (e.g. 18 units of bio, 10 U-chem, etc).
just my 0.02 :)

gibbarBSN said:

it is so refreshing to actually hear from someone who shares my dilemma..ako rin poh..di ko po talaga gustong kumuha nang nursing..i was pushed/encouraged/blackmailed :laugh: by my mother to take up nursing..

i am an incoming first year..i got into a very good nursing school but i still feel like ive wasted my opportunity to study microbiology at UST..

anyway, enough about that, good luck poh sa inyo..sana makapag-aral po kayo ng meds sa school na gusto ninyo.. :)

isulong po natin ang medisina!!! :D

(*feeling like Andres B. egging fellow Filipinos for a revolution..hehe.. :laugh: )