first responders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

nonesuchgirl

Anybody one? Know someone who is? Neither of the above but still have an opinion? :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I started off as one...going on ten years ago now...what's your question?

Nate.

I started off as one...going on ten years ago now...what's your question?

Nate.

I need details, man. What's your practice like? Do people look at you weird 'cause you're a first responder and not "a real EMT"?

Was it worth it? Do you regret it?

:idea: I'm taking the course through school (3 credits, baby!) in the spring and I thought I'd poke at someone who might know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you want to do with it.

There is some variability in CFR courses. But in general, the course is designed to train people who happen to be First Responders to a medical emergency because of their primary job... police, fire, industrial site emergency teams...

You wont train to be on an EMS unit. You should be able to volunteer as the 3rd person on an ambulance, but thats about it.

So it depends on what you want out of the course. If you want a fun 3 credits, some more-than-basic first aid training, or to volunteer as a 3rd on an ambulance, or whatever... go for it.

I know of some places you can drive the ambulance as a first responder on a BLS unit...

As was already stated, the first responder is a level of training designed primarily for LEOs, fire fighters and industrial sites. Its basically a glorified first aid course. You will learn the fundimentals of patient assessment, oxygen administration (actually that's an optional topic), common medical emergencies, treating basic trauma, etc. It's like EMT-lite, the same basic topics, but not as much detail. I don't think people looked at me "wierd" at the time, mainly because the majority of my fellows were also FRs.

As for what you can do with it...that really depends on your area. I got my first responder simply to have some medical training because I hiked/climbed/etc in the backcountry a lot. After getting it though, I started volunteering for a fire department (which eventually led to me becoming an EMT and then a paramedic). I teach FR classess occasionally, and the majority of my students are from small volunteer FDs and search and rescue groups. EMT is becoming the standard level of training for most urban fire departments these days, but really...the idea of the EMT class is really to train someone to work on the ambulance, FR is more aimed at people who will serve as an intermediate between a lay person and the ambulance crew.

I absolutely don't regret taking my first responder class...if I hadn't taken it, I probably would not be going to medical school next fall. Before my class I was interested in computers and engineering...I had never even taken a biology class!! It changed my life...but that's probably not true for everyone!

Nate.