UNC, Yale, Columbia, or Dartmouth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayleigh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been accepted to UNC, Yale, Columbia, and Dartmouth (accredited, but not yet ranked).

I was wondering if anyone who has completed, or is completing, any of the programs would mind passing along some general feedback about it, to help me decide between them. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think this is an easy choice, especially if you're from NC. Go to UNC, its by far the best of the the bunch.

Dont be sucked into going to a private public health school and paying an ungodly sum for the "ivy" name. It'll mean nothing to those in the field of public health. Impressive to laypeople, not to those in the know.

If you are going to focus on academic research, or work for non-profit, get the best quality education regardless of the name. If you think you might be going into something like pharmaceuticals, or using the MPH as a stepping stone to a professional degree, then go for the big name. Even "people in the know" respect a degree from Yale, and the Pharm companies, well they eat that up... I went through the MPH program at Yale and feel that the education and number of opportunities they provide on and off campus (many of us did research abroad, paid for by the university), was well worth the hefty price of tuition.

And of course you get to smile through your teeth and look down your nose at people. ;)