Umn pass 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ionomer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Im starting this thread for those interested in the University of Minnesota school of dentistry international dentist program.

The application is pretty simple, no original documents, no notarized copies of any document, no references required at the initial stage because its not participating in the CAAPID. Bellow is a link to the school's program:

http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/programs-admissions/umn-pass/application-process/index.htm

I recently applied and I will like to know who else out here is considering the school.

Good Luck to us all

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to apply! But I don't have the "mark sheet" is it necessary??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oral and Maxillofacial residency (18 months- didnt finish in Nigeria)
11/2 years Dental Assisting in California
Global Health Masters -UCSF
Research on caries and fluoride in the Philippines
NBDE Part I - Pass
TOEFL- 100
Continue Dental Education- UCSF School of Dentistry

I got a mail from Ms. Campanaro acknowledging receipt of my application and she says the school will get in-touch with applicants in about 8-10week. This means applicants will start receiving invitations around late May through june/july.

My school-mate 2years ago with far better statistics than mine - got interview at Minnesota but she was not accepted.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck to us all.

I got a mail from Ms. Campanaro acknowledging receipt of my application and she says the school will get in-touch with applicants in about 8-10week. This means applicants will start receiving invitations around late May through june/july.

My school-mate 2years ago with far better statistics than mine - got interview at Minnesota but she was not accepted.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck to us all.

Hey Ur stats are really impressive.Gud luck to you too:)

hey is it good to apply with just part1 pass or should wait for part2 to apply for umn??i did not apply lat year....any suggestion?

hey is it good to apply with just part1 pass or should wait for part2 to apply for umn??i did not apply lat year....any suggestion?

I think u shud apply as early as possible as they dont require part 2 ,just make sure you ve all the documents ,be an early applicant:)

I think u shud apply as early as possible as they dont require part 2 ,just make sure you ve all the documents ,be an early applicant:)

it is always good to apply early, but i applied a few weeks before the deadline and I was in the last batch that interviewed and got in, so don't lose heart if you apply later!

it is always good to apply early, but i applied a few weeks before the deadline and I was in the last batch that interviewed and got in, so don't lose heart if you apply later!

Yeah thats true but you must be having some extraordinary stats :)

Members don't see this ad :)
UMN is known for putting an emphasis on the person - a good personal statement and recommendation letters will take you a long way. I was interviewed/accepted with a less than 3 GPA and just 1 month of volunteer assisting. Good luck you all! :thumbup:

UMN doesnt require lors? rht..its not mentioned . I even asked companaro.

Oops my mistake, sorry about the confusion!

UMN doesnt require lors? rht..its not mentioned . I even asked companaro.

not they do not require LOR's. I did send in two sealed ones with my package, but i don't think they really make a difference

Yeah thats true but you must be having some extraordinary stats :)

thanks for that nice comment, but my numbers stats were just fine. pass in part 1, 117 TOEFL and 3.68 ECE. but i feel that UMN, and slowly other schools, focus on the rest of your resume and especially how you come off in your interviews. i don't have PhD's like a few of my classmates, or even any work experience, but I have a lot of varied and unique volunteer endevours etc. it is not only about dental and medical related things on your resume, it is a lot about how well rounded of a person you are, in my opinion. The want to see how well you can integrate into their program and if you can really learn in this system. writing exams and getting good grades, while nice, does not prove that you can do that.

thanks for that nice comment, but my numbers stats were just fine. pass in part 1, 117 TOEFL and 3.68 ECE. but i feel that UMN, and slowly other schools, focus on the rest of your resume and especially how you come off in your interviews. i don't have PhD's like a few of my classmates, or even any work experience, but I have a lot of varied and unique volunteer endevours etc. it is not only about dental and medical related things on your resume, it is a lot about how well rounded of a person you are, in my opinion. The want to see how well you can integrate into their program and if you can really learn in this system. writing exams and getting good grades, while nice, does not prove that you can do that.

Hi there Let me share my stats NBDE Part 1 pass,Toefl 112,3.84 G.P.A,2 years clinical experience in home country and 1 year observership in canada what do you say do I stand a chance :confused:

Hi there Let me share my stats NBDE Part 1 pass,Toefl 112,3.84 G.P.A,2 years clinical experience in home country and 1 year observership in canada what do you say do I stand a chance :confused:

again, those stats, in my opinion, while nice, are just basic requirements. everyone seems to have similar stats. it is the extracurricular endevours you do that will get you an interview/admission such as volunteer work, research, masters/PhD's, and anything that can show that you are a well rounded individual who is passionate about whatever you choose to do.

again, those stats, in my opinion, while nice, are just basic requirements. everyone seems to have similar stats. it is the extracurricular endevours you do that will get you an interview/admission such as volunteer work, research, masters/PhD's, and anything that can show that you are a well rounded individual who is passionate about whatever you choose to do.

I agree.

anyone who has a ece evaluation showing credits taken as 122.5, even after doing internship..

are you planning to apply to umin.. as they require a min credit of 126.

For the University should we need to give DAT if our part 1 score is pass ?!

For the University should we need to give DAT if our part 1 score is pass ?!

everything is given clearly on the website. DAT is NOT required by UMN at all. I applied with part 1 Pass last year, as did a few others in my batch. not a big deal. rest of your application is the important stuff for admission.

Any iv calls from UMN...I guess they were supposed to send the invites in mid may

everything is given clearly on the website. DAT is NOT required by UMN at all. I applied with part 1 Pass last year, as did a few others in my batch. not a big deal. rest of your application is the important stuff for admission.

can i get a recommendation letter format from you?
my mail id is [email protected]

Any iv calls from UMN...I guess they were supposed to send the invites in mid may

Ive not got any yet. I pray I get invited for interview - fingers crossed.

Good luck to us all

can i get a recommendation letter format from you?
my mail id is [email protected]

UMN does not require LOR's. Formats can be found on Google you can search "Letter's recommendation samples". The letters I had were from my profs in India, and it was according to their format.

I do not know of any interview calls yet. they have started send out rejections unfortunately. however, best of luck to all.

did any1 get rejection l8rs..or do u know some1 who did????.....my my...

Hello,
i am interested in this program.
But there is a hitch.
i just realized my ECE evaluation has credited me with 125 credit hours. i was wondering if i can still apply??
my degree is 4 years and it doesnot include housejob.

where i come from we do housejob after graduation and its not mandatory. i have a 1 yr housejob, but since it wasnt part of dental school, its not included in the ECE evaluation.

any ideas if i can still apply?

Last edited:
Hello,
i am interested in this program.
But there is a hitch.
i just realized my ECE evaluation has credited me with 125 credit hours. i was wondering if i can still apply??
my degree is 4 years and it doesnot include housejob.

where i come from we do housejob after graduation and its not mandatory. i have a 1 yr housejob, but since it wasnt part of dental school, its not included in the ECE evaluation.

any ideas if i can still apply?

Ur best way to know if you can apply or not is emailing the school! Or calling them ..good luck

did any1 get rejection l8rs..or do u know some1 who did????.....my my...

yes, unfortunately I know someone who got a rejection letter. regarding the 125 credits, I would email or call and find out. my understanding is that if you have a 1 year housejob after graduation, it can be considered (as on website : On the other hand in some parts of the world, a new graduate must work for the government for at least one year. This type of work is acceptable in lieu of a mandatory internship. A GPR is also acceptable additional education. Private practice is not.) , but still i would contact and find out.

Last edited:
Got a rejection letter by mail. Can anybody tell me how strictly do they abide by the 126 credit requirement. I only had 122.5 credits.:(

Got a rejection letter by mail. Can anybody tell me how strictly do they abide by the 126 credit requirement. I only had 122.5 credits.:(

So sorry to hear that!
Do you mind sharing, when had you applied to the university?

dentical18. sorry about min university, but can you please tell me when did you apply ?

Need advice guys !

I am starting preceptor ship in mid July . while applying to UMN i can mention it or not moreover the matriculation date will be starting date (in july) because m sending application today itself .. will that be okay.

Please help !
:rolleyes:

Need advice guys !

I am starting preceptor ship in mid July . while applying to UMN i can mention it or not moreover the matriculation date will be starting date (in july) because m sending application today itself .. will that be okay.

Please help !
:rolleyes:
Hey Supercool.. Do you mind sharing where are you doing your preceptorship program. How does the application process work?? Thanks a bunch in advance!!!

Dentical 18 - No, they don't. I had those requirements fulfilled, still got rejection few weeks back.