UMKC Reserved Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upstairs Client

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I'm a newbie to these forums and thought I'd stop by to ask a few questions. So I just finished up my freshman year of college and it did not go as planned to say the least. I attended the University of Nebraska my first semester and after dropping a Calculus class I ended up only taking 11 credit hours and finished with a 1.81 GPA :vomit: which included a D in my General Biology class although I did receive a B+ in the lab section. The reason I did so bad at Nebraska was 100% based on personal issues as things have been pretty rough in my family and it was really stressful being that far away from home (I live in Kansas) and having to deal with these issues. For my second semester I transferred back home to my local private University which is a fairly selective school but my high school transcript was near a 4.0 so I had no difficulty getting in. I finished up this semester with a 3.49 taking all science classes and retaking Gen Bio 1 and earning an A+ in the class. My summer is stacked with more science courses as well in order to catch up. Along side all of this I've earned well over 100 hours of community service, something I enjoy, along with 70+ hours of shadowing. My father is a very successful Prosthodontist and I've been putting in time at his office when I'm not studying or doing anything extra circular. I've already started studying for the DAT a little but am very behind in Chem as I'm not scheduled to take Gen Chem 1 until next fall which would put O Chem in my junior year schedule which I'm still upset about. My plan is to do extremely well my Sophomore year and then apply to UMKC's Reserved Admission program which was suggested to me by a Orthodontist I shadowed who even knew some people on the board there. I also got involved in my Colleges Pre-Med club and have gotten some Dentist iv'e shadowed signed up to come give presentations at my school which put me in pretty good standing with my Professors. Anyway the point of me coming on here and telling you guys this is because I honestly believe I wont be accepted into UMKC's Reserved admission program based on my first semester at Nebraska and even my bad follow up 3.4 GPA. UMKC wants applicants to have above a 3.6 Science GPA in order to be considered so ill have to work my tail off next year. Also do you think my application will be thrown out by admissions boards in the future based on my 1.81 GPA I received during my first semester? Also is there anything you guys suggest I do to look better in the eyes of admissions boards? Sorry for venting this has just been on my mind all year and it feels good telling someone about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all I'm a newbie to these forums and thought I'd stop by to ask a few questions. So I just finished up my freshman year of college and it did not go as planned to say the least. I attended the University of Nebraska my first semester and after dropping a Calculus class I ended up only taking 11 credit hours and finished with a 1.81 GPA :vomit: which included a D in my General Biology class although I did receive a B+ in the lab section. The reason I did so bad at Nebraska was 100% based on personal issues as things have been pretty rough in my family and it was really stressful being that far away from home (I live in Kansas) and having to deal with these issues. For my second semester I transferred back home to my local private University which is a fairly selective school but my high school transcript was near a 4.0 so I had no difficulty getting in. I finished up this semester with a 3.49 taking all science classes and retaking Gen Bio 1 and earning an A+ in the class. My summer is stacked with more science courses as well in order to catch up. Along side all of this I've earned well over 100 hours of community service, something I enjoy, along with 70+ hours of shadowing. My father is a very successful Prosthodontist and I've been putting in time at his office when I'm not studying or doing anything extra circular. I've already started studying for the DAT a little but am very behind in Chem as I'm not scheduled to take Gen Chem 1 until next fall which would put O Chem in my junior year schedule which I'm still upset about. My plan is to do extremely well my Sophomore year and then apply to UMKC's Reserved Admission program which was suggested to me by a Orthodontist I shadowed who even knew some people on the board there. I also got involved in my Colleges Pre-Med club and have gotten some Dentist iv'e shadowed signed up to come give presentations at my school which put me in pretty good standing with my Professors. Anyway the point of me coming on here and telling you guys this is because I honestly believe I wont be accepted into UMKC's Reserved admission program based on my first semester at Nebraska and even my bad follow up 3.4 GPA. UMKC wants applicants to have above a 3.6 Science GPA in order to be considered so ill have to work my tail off next year. Also do you think my application will be thrown out by admissions boards in the future based on my 1.81 GPA I received during my first semester? Also is there anything you guys suggest I do to look better in the eyes of admissions boards? Sorry for venting this has just been on my mind all year and it feels good telling someone about it.
By the time you take your DAT, the material that you studied will likely be as stale as month old bread. You seem to be fixated on UMKC early admission program when you should be more concerned on meeting the criteria for acceptance to a regularly scheduled program.

OP, I think you said it yourself, work your tail off. Upward trend and improved gpa will make a world of difference. Maybe it won't be enough to get you in the coveted early admissions at UMKC, but it will set you up for applying at multiple schools later.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user