This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothknowitall

Reaction score
Hi there!! I have 2 C- grades on my undergraduate transcripts in a gen Chem course and the gen chem lab. I went on to complete a masters in bio and in that program I got As in both Biochem classes I took, and I retook the DAT and scored a 21 in GC and a 19 in OC. I’m a reapplicant to dental school so I’m trying to broaden my list of schools but I’m seeing a lot of schools that have “grade of C preferred/2.0gpa” for the required prerequisites. Would this eliminate me for being able to apply since the grade is technically below, by being a C- ??

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there!! I have 2 C- grades on my undergraduate transcripts in a gen Chem course and the gen chem lab. I went on to complete a masters in bio and in that program I got As in both Biochem classes I took, and I retook the DAT and scored a 21 in GC and a 19 in OC. I’m a reapplicant to dental school so I’m trying to broaden my list of schools but I’m seeing a lot of schools that have “grade of C preferred/2.0gpa” for the required prerequisites. Would this eliminate me for being able to apply since the grade is technically below, by being a C- ??

Thanks for the help!!
Yes. C- isn’t considered a passing grade for prerequisite courses. You will need to retake the course and get a grade of > C for it. Taking at your local CC should be fine

There are also not many, if any, dental schools that don't have general chemistry as a prerequisite requirement with a grade of > C. And if they don't have it, I would be weary to apply.

It totally stinks, but you probably have to retake it. Check with admissions teams at the schools where you really want to attend if they could waive your C-minus grades, but chances are... well, who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aw man. I really hate to read this because I know EXACTLY the place you are in right now. I was in it too, finished first semester of masters and was gathering my stuff ready until I realized I had a C- in gen chem 1. Had to retake it in the spring before I applied just to be sure it wouldn't affect my chances. I really hate to tell you this because I know how much work you have been putting in the masters but, you need to retake any class with a C-. If it wasn't a prereq this would be a different conversation, but any grade with a C- as a prereq will disqualify you. If you think you may be okay let me say this, there are thousands of applicants with no C-'s in their prereqs. Please do the smart thing here and retake the class before you apply so you don't waste thousands of dollars. Best of luck.
Dang. Thank you for responding, but yeah sadly not the answer I wanted to read. I know this is probably silly but do you think this is still the case for schools that don’t have a specific
“C” grade requirement? I wasn’t very worried about this part of my application bc I thought my extra masters courses/overall gpa, DAT science and overall scores would help “cover” me, so to say. Now I’m nervous I won’t have any interview potential anywhere.

It totally stinks, but you probably have to retake it. Check with admissions teams at the schools where you really want to attend if they could waive your C-minus grades, but chances are... well, who knows.
Thank you for the response, I’ll have to check. I’ve only noticed a few schools with the specific wording about C grades.

Yes. C- isn’t considered a passing grade for prerequisite courses. You will need to retake the course and get a grade of > C for it. Taking at your local CC should be fine

There are also not many, if any, dental schools that don't have general chemistry as a prerequisite requirement with a grade of > C. And if they don't have it, I would be weary to apply.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I guess I’ll have to look into some CC options. I had to retake gen Chem 2 at a CC after dropping it before, so it wouldn’t be the first time.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I guess I’ll have to look into some CC options. I had to retake gen Chem 2 at a CC after dropping it before, so it wouldn’t be the first time.
I know it’s not the answer you wanted to hear, but better to know now than after spending all this time and money applying just to have your application thrown away. You still have plenty of time to take it, either this fall or spring, before you matriculate

Dang. Thank you for responding, but yeah sadly not the answer I wanted to read. I know this is probably silly but do you think this is still the case for schools that don’t have a specific
“C” grade requirement? I wasn’t very worried about this part of my application bc I thought my extra masters courses/overall gpa, DAT science and overall scores would help “cover” me, so to say. Now I’m nervous I won’t have any interview potential anywhere.
I really don't know the answer for schools that don't have a specific "C" grade requirement, but I would 100% reach out to those schools and ask directly.

I will say that when I applied, I had a C- on GC1 BUT I retook the course in the fall semester after I applied in the summer and made sure that the schools were aware that I was retaking the class and would update my transcript once the final grade was reflected (meant to say fall instead of spring in original post). This didn't deter schools from sending me interviews, I still got plenty without the updated GC grade, but the schools I was accepted to on Dec 15th made the acceptance conditional that I needed a C or higher on all my prereqs. I would go with this route if you have already applied, and make sure that your application shows that your future classes includes retaking the class you got a C- in.

Reactions: 1 users