Umiami vs creighton phoenix

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherrymed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi! I was recently accepted off the waitlist and now have to choose between two schools. Please help with any advice!!

UMiami Miller
Pros
  • higher ranking
  • earlier clinicals
  • good match (considering competitive specialities like derm or ophthalmology)

Cons
  • Florida, far from home (CA native)
  • internal ranking
  • higher COL
  • mandatory lectures

Creighton Phoenix
Pros
  • Closer to home (about 5 hrs drive?)
  • better weather
  • H/P/F vs quartile ranking at miami
  • lower COL
  • nonmandatory lectures

Cons
  • lower ranking
  • Newer campus

Im a CA native and am nervous about moving so far to Florida for the first time, but Miami seems like it would have better opportunities? Looking for any advice. Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

How does the COA compare between the schools? Considering that you may be interested in something like ophthalmology (UM has arguably the top ophthalmology program in the country btw), I'm thinking Miami is the move here

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to start at UM after having also turned down schools (Creighton included) closer to home because of my interest in specialties like derm and ophtho. UM is super far for me too, but we can do it! I think the opportunities and growth will definitely make it worth the initial discomfort.

Reactions: 1 user
How does the COA compare between the schools? Considering that you may be interested in something like ophthalmology (UM has arguably the top ophthalmology program in the country btw), I'm thinking Miami is the move here
Arguably top program in the world -- definitely best in the country haha. My vote is Miami, OP.

Reactions: 1 user