UMDNJ GSBS MBS Fall 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Based on last year, looks like Stratford acceptances came in mid Feb, and Newark in mid March.

If you get accepted, please post when you applied and to what program, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I contacted the RWJ office and they said they will begin reviewing applications during the first week in March, and have rolling acceptances every two weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI - starting this fall NJMS is completely pass/fail, so if you take either of the med school classes, you will not be able to say you "honored" them (aka: you received honors in a course with med students). This would just be a difference in semantics, as I'm sure they will keep the same grade transposing rubric for the grad students based on your percentages on the exams ( >90% = A, 80-90% = B+, 70-80 = B, below that C or fail or something).

Feel free to let me know if that was written confusingly in any way or if there are any follow up questions

Hey,

Just to let everyone know, I got accepted today to the MBS at Stratford! The acceptance actually came in an email with the letter attached, so this may be how the other UMDNJ's might be sending acceptances this year.

Congrats!! Hopefully Newark starts accepting soon

I received my acceptance letter through email as well...still trying to decide between stratford, the commonwealth medical college mbs program or piscataway's program....honestly i want piscataway because it is closer to NY. :)

I received my acceptance letter through email as well...still trying to decide between stratford, the commonwealth medical college mbs program or piscataway's program....honestly i want piscataway because it is closer to NY. :)

Congrats! Yeah, I'd prefer the Piscataway program as well. I'm hoping they send acceptances next week sometime. But this program is definitely my second choice!

Hey, guys! I was accepted yesterday to the Stratford campus certificate program at the School of Osteopathic Medicine! Made my day :D

Is there any info. on how many students who complete the certificate actually get interviews to/are accepted to the UMDNJ SOM or other osteopathic schools? I can't seem to find much from other students. Can a former student give a little information about this program? I would love to know more about this program so that I can get the most from it from the very beginning.

Last edited:
lol...i meant piscataway is the closest to NY as opposed to stratford or the commonwealth medical college:laugh:

Stratford is so close to Philadelphia! Why doesn't Philly get any love? :rolleyes: I love that city.

Stratford is so close to Philadelphia! Why doesn't Philly get any love? :rolleyes: I love that city.

Philly is cool, but it doesn't come to close to NYC. Philly is like NYC's "slower" little brother with a major inferiority complex. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,

I called the admissions office (for GSBS- newark) a few hours ago and I was told that they have just begun reviewing the applications for the medical interest, and that they will begin reviewing the dental interest apps starting tomorrow.

We should all find out within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the update Predent. Hopefully good news for all of us soon!

I'm confused. So do all three campuses of UMDNJ have a Post-Bacc program specifically meant for boosting your GPA? Or is one of them for non-traditional applicants, etc.? I'm considering applying to the NJMS one since my GPA isn't so good (3.48, sci 3.20)

On a personal note, is it suitable to apply to one of these programs if I want to do the MD/PhD program at NJMS or RWJ?

I'm confused. So do all three campuses of UMDNJ have a Post-Bacc program specifically meant for boosting your GPA? Or is one of them for non-traditional applicants, etc.? I'm considering applying to the NJMS one since my GPA isn't so good (3.48, sci 3.20)

On a personal note, is it suitable to apply to one of these programs if I want to do the MD/PhD program at NJMS or RWJ?

They all have graduate programs but none of them are considered post-baccs. They do have a program designed for those students looking to beef up their academic stats with intentions of applying to med/dental schools. I am not in the program so I can not comment on how effective they are in helping one gain admissions to any of the UMDNJ schools. SDN has many mixed reviews. From what I gather, it sounds like a bit of gamble, but with a GPA like yours and a solid MCAT score, someone like you may have a good chance if you kicked butt in their program.

Can those who got into the UMDNJ-MBS program post their stats? I have a 2.8 gpa and have not taken the GREs yet but i'm going to in a month. Is that too late? Please let me know, thanks!

Nice! Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind my asking, and when did you apply?

Is it too late to apply? I didn't know about these two programs until recently. :(

Also, what is the question asking for on the personal statement? Is it asking why you want to get into medical school or why you want enroll the MBS program?

thanks guys

here are my stats:

19 AA/ 18 TS

3.0 science 3.3 overall

and i applied in mid december

i'm also considering a switch to medicine, hopefully i'll be able to switch tracks if necessary :scared:

Last edited:
Is it too late to apply? I didn't know about these two programs until recently. :(

Also, what is the question asking for on the personal statement? Is it asking why you want to get into medical school or why you want enroll the MBS program?

Definitely not too late to apply. I'd get movin this month though. The prompt is your reasons for doing the MBS program.

i'm also considering a switch to medicine, hopefully i'll be able to switch tracks if necessary :scared:

The 'tracks' don't really exist in writing - there just happen to be a couple courses a pre-dent might want to take and a couple courses that pre-med students would be more inclined to take. Everyone just signs up for whatever classes they want like you're in college and everything is an elective. You'll be fine using this program for pre-dent or deciding to change to a premed

I don't think these programs are meant for career changers though to pre-med. If you are looking for that type of program, Rutgers has an excellent one.

Last edited:
Anyone else here back yet? the wait is killing me

Anyone else here back yet? the wait is killing me

Nope. Still waiting on Newark and RWJ. I know RWJ said they were going to start reviewing apps last week, but I don't know if they have started, or if anything has gone out yet.

I wonder if the dental acceptances went out before the medical one. I have no info on this, but the only one to get an acceptance from Newark was a pre-dent. So I wonder if they go out separately.

The worst part is waiting!

I just sent in everything yesterday... the wait is stressful lol.

Going through old posts, I have noticed That very few students from the BMS programs are accepted into the Med school. (I'm speaking about NJMS). I don't know how true this is, but if so I'm wondering if This program will be worth the extra loans. Any thoughts?

Going through old posts, I have noticed That very few students from the BMS programs are accepted into the Med school. (I'm speaking about NJMS). I don't know how true this is, but if so I'm wondering if This program will be worth the extra loans. Any thoughts?

Well, the thought is that the only real shot you have of being considered for the school is if you take the medical school courses, and do really well in them. Some other people have said that if you should take all "hard" courses, over the "easy" courses that you might have a shot. (but who really knows?)

I personally think the Stratford program is good, just because there isn't a requirement to take med courses, and the program is smaller than NJMS, meaning you might have a better chance to stand out.

In the end, as others have said, the program is what you make of it.

I just spoke with a program advisor at UMDNJ is Stratford, and this is what she said about students in the program:

70% of our MBS graduates get into medical, vet, or dental school with about 33% of them attending SOM. It is definitely beneficial to take two of the SOM courses during your time at GSBS.

So, looks like more than half are successful, which is good news!

I just spoke with a program advisor at UMDNJ is Stratford, and this is what she said about students in the program:

70% of our MBS graduates get into medical, vet, or dental school with about 33% of them attending SOM. It is definitely beneficial to take two of the SOM courses during your time at GSBS.

So, looks like more than half are successful, which is good news!

That's good for the Stratford folks...

Well, the thought is that the only real shot you have of being considered for the school is if you take the medical school courses, and do really well in them. Some other people have said that if you should take all "hard" courses, over the "easy" courses that you might have a shot. (but who really knows?)

I personally think the Stratford program is good, just because there isn't a requirement to take med courses, and the program is smaller than NJMS, meaning you might have a better chance to stand out.

In the end, as others have said, the program is what you make of it.

This program isn't TOO bad and it offers a bit more opportunities than some other programs ( not to mention its cheaper), but don't go to it JUST because you think its gonna help you get into NJMS. I think its actually a lot harder to get into NJMS from the GSBS program and you'll only stand a chance if you take the med school courses and get honors in them (even then its still very very tough unless your grades were already in the 3.7+ range). The program does seem to help a lot of people who get 3.8+ in the program get in to at least one school out there.

This program isn't TOO bad and it offers a bit more opportunities than some other programs ( not to mention its cheaper), but don't go to it JUST because you think its gonna help you get into NJMS. I think its actually a lot harder to get into NJMS from the GSBS program and you'll only stand a chance if you take the med school courses and get honors in them (even then its still very very tough unless your grades were already in the 3.7+ range). The program does seem to help a lot of people who get 3.8+ in the program get in to at least one school out there.

I just don't see the point if the chances of taking the Med school classes are pretty slim. Why not go for a real SMP or even just take upper level science courses at an undergraduate institution? (CUNY schools are mad cheap and well respected in terms of science).

This program doesn't seem like it will do much for Med school applicants. If so, where are all the success stories? I'm Just playing devil's advocate here. I understand that UMDNJ is a well respected institution but one needs something that demonstrates how this program will actually make a difference in Med school admissions.

The question is: is this program worth the gamble? Would be nice to hear from people who finished the program and see how it helped or did not help them. Current students are mostly going to say it helps, it all depends on what you make of it, etc. I want evidence of something a bit more concrete and I'm not talking about people who entered the program with a high GPA.

I just don't see how this program is better than taking upper level science courses unless one has completed exhausted such courses. (FYI I have a Bio degree and there still are plenty of courses to take).

Has anyone heard anything from Newark or RWJ?? I'm a little nervous since it's already the middle of March...

I just don't see the point if the chances of taking the Med school classes are pretty slim. Why not go for a real SMP or even just take upper level science courses at an undergraduate institution? (CUNY schools are mad cheap and well respected in terms of science).

No one said this program was a top tier program. Of course if you want a better chance of getting into med school you would go to a real SMP. Your chances would be much much higher there if you do well. This program is more like a post bac wrapped under a masters degree. It's hard to get into NJMS because the competition is too large... theres about 200+ people in the program at any one time. I'd assume 1-4 get into NJMS every year.

No one said this program was a top tier program. Of course if you want a better chance of getting into med school you would go to a real SMP. Your chances would be much much higher there if you do well. This program is more like a post bac wrapped under a masters degree. It's hard to get into NJMS because the competition is too large... theres about 200+ people in the program at any one time. I'd assume 1-4 get into NJMS every year.

What then is your example of a real SMP? I thought that a program that lets you take actual med school courses is a real SMP?

What then is your example of a real SMP? I thought that a program that lets you take actual med school courses is a real SMP?

A real SMP is like tufts where almost all of your credits are med school classes and you take 5+ med school classes. At UMDNJ GSBS you take 2 max and almost everyone only takes one of the two. Tufts also interviews like half their SMP students... whereas UMDNJ interviews like 5. See the difference?

A real SMP is like tufts where almost all of your credits are med school classes and you take 5+ med school classes. At UMDNJ GSBS you take 2 max and almost everyone only takes one of the two. Tufts also interviews like half their SMP students... whereas UMDNJ interviews like 5. See the difference?

I see what you mean.. Didn't know there was such a huge disparity in these programs... do you know which programs are real SMPs in the tri-state area?

Never assumed it was a top tier program. I just thought it had a bit more to offer. 1-4 out of 200 is pretty $#!++Y and not worth my time. To each his own though, just not mine.

Never assumed it was a top tier program. I just thought it had a bit more to offer. 1-4 out of 200 is pretty $#!++Y and not worth my time. To each his own though, just not mine.

Hence the multiple times I've said "don't go into this program thinking it gives you an advantage in getting into NJMS."

This program DOES give you a boost on your app for every other school, especially on the east coast. JUST not at NJMS.

Congratulations! Do you mind giving your stats, or how you heard (email, post)?

they sent an email, and the email said there would also be regular mail, but i haven't received that part of it yet.

i had a 3.5 and a 21 on the dat.

they sent an email, and the email said there would also be regular mail, but i haven't received that part of it yet.

i had a 3.5 and a 21 on the dat.

Awesome! I'm glad they're finally accepting students. When was your application complete?

i dont know when exactly they received my dat score, which was the last part to be received, but i think early feb.

I just received my acceptance from GSBS Newark today through the mail. I didn't even receive an email notice first.

The letter says it needs a response of acceptance by 3/29, it is possible to pay the tuition deposit first for acceptance and then decline the school later if I get into another one I might consider? Or is it once I send in the deposit, I'm stuck with this school?

Thanks for any help!

Hey all,

Just received my acceptance for Stratford. It was sent via email. Still holding out for Newark campus, but happy either way :)

3.47 GPA
27N MCAT (7P, 10V, 10B)
Complete in late Feb.