UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also got an acceptance letter from Newark campus!

It is one of my top choices and pretty sure I will be attending here.

I'd also like to know what % of students at UMDNJ GSBS get into med/dental schools the following year..

I really wanna get into dental schools next year.
Hope the next year at GBSB helps me!!
:love:congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

damn everyone's hearin back. im still twiddlin my thumbs =/ hope i hear back soon. can anyone confirm that stratford does indeed have a non-thesis program just in case god forbid I don't get into newark.

Congrats on stratford albuterol. when did you apply to that one? so i know when I should be hearin back

yay congratulations!!! i hope that you are accepted into the Newark program so that way your Stratford (my #1 choice) spot opens up, for moi lol :D..

but how did you hear about your acceptance, email or phone call??

hahah I hope that is how it works out too! I actually called them Monday morning to ask about my application status since I never received a "application is complete" notification. Krystal told me a decision had been made and that I should be receiving it in the mail this week but they were not allowed to tell me over the phone. I hope u get into Stratford man, good luck!! When were you complete?? I applied on 2/18 but wasn't complete until 3/10 because I was waiting on recommendation letters to be sent in. My acceptance letter was dated 3/20 so looks about a 10day turn-around at stratford.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn everyone's hearin back. im still twiddlin my thumbs =/ hope i hear back soon. can anyone confirm that stratford does indeed have a non-thesis program just in case god forbid I don't get into newark.

Congrats on stratford albuterol. when did you apply to that one? so i know when I should be hearin back

Don't worry bro, I'm sure you will get in. I applied to Stratford and Newark on 2/18 but wasn't complete at both places until 3/10. Looks like Stratford meets more frequently than Newark to determine acceptances.

congrats Albuterol, jxc and Dr.styller!! Anyone still waiting, keep your eyes on the prize.

congrats Albuterol, jxc and Dr.styller!! Anyone still waiting, keep your eyes on the prize.

lol i got into RU/UMDNJ-RWJ but im still waiting on #1 Newark. Maybe I'll find out today.

hahah I hope that is how it works out too! I actually called them Monday morning to ask about my application status since I never received a "application is complete" notification. Krystal told me a decision had been made and that I should be receiving it in the mail this week but they were not allowed to tell me over the phone. I hope u get into Stratford man, good luck!! When were you complete?? I applied on 2/18 but wasn't complete until 3/10 because I was waiting on recommendation letters to be sent in. My acceptance letter was dated 3/20 so looks about a 10day turn-around at stratford.

I didnt officially get the YOU ARE COMPLETE notification either..the last thing they needed was GRE scores and I just took that on the 17th..so ima wait until they are processed and they receive it..and then hopefully i can hear something soon..still waiting, but glad to hear that the turnaround is pretty quick..

Last edited:
I just called Newark and asked if they reviewed my app and they said they haven't yet. It's kind of weird how my app was sent in Dec and complete in the beginning of January and it hasn't been looked at yet, when others sent theirs in later and got their acceptances already.

The lady told me that "there are a lot of applications and they are contemplating on whether the next review date should be held." This sucks! :(

I just called Newark and asked if they reviewed my app and they said they haven't yet. It's kind of weird how my app was sent in Dec and complete in the beginning of January and it hasn't been looked at yet, when others sent theirs in later and got their acceptances already.

The lady told me that "there are a lot of applications and they are contemplating on whether the next review date should be held." This sucks! :(

whoooooa...not cool :thumbdown:

mmm, i would try asking someone else..email maybe?

WHAT THE ?!?!#?%$!# mannn I hope that's not the case. I will try calling tomorrow or Thursday and get back to you guys . Hopefully its a different answer.

Wow, that's BS! Your application should be given a review especailly because you submitted it so early!

Wow, that's BS! Your application should be given a review especailly because you submitted it so early!

Yea I was not happy about that, esp bc I have to tell RU if I'm going to their school in 2.5 weeks. She said that she will "make a mark" and tell the admissions ppl that I am "anxious to get a reply back". Idk if she actually will do that. I better be in the next review!!

Hahaha "make a mark" woow..um if you are nearby try walking right into the office..and be like um my name is JXC and I need my acceptance letter..always works lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha "make a mark" woow..um if you are nearby try walking right into the office..and be like um my name is JXC and I need my acceptance letter..always works lol

lol yeah i so would except im in FL so i cant do that haha. o i forgot another thing she said "there's still gonna be another review bc we still have spots left in the class"

im wondering how many they accepted already... she didn't say "a lot" of spots. someone please call tomorrow and bug them for me?! k thanks! :p

damn man now you got me all nervous haha...i thought i had a fairly decent shot of getting in before your post(s) now i'm just worried i applied too late. even though their application deadline is freakin june 1st. im gonna call and bug them tomorrow and see if i can get some answers. =/

That's really weird...
So I guess you got the "your app is complete" letter in Jan?
I really hope you hear from them very soon!!!

damn man now you got me all nervous haha...i thought i had a fairly decent shot of getting in before your post(s) now i'm just worried i applied too late. even though their application deadline is freakin june 1st. im gonna call and bug them tomorrow and see if i can get some answers. =/

when did you apply?? if you don't mind

That's really weird...
So I guess you got the "your app is complete" letter in Jan?
I really hope you hear from them very soon!!!

yea thats why its so weird. i even told the lady and she verified it over the phone that it was completed in early Jan. i hope to hear from them soon! I think they just randomly choose completed apps so if u apply late i wouldnt worry... i applied early and im still waiting

i can't remember exact date but it was either end of february or first week of march.

Guys, I called yesterday afternoon and was told that "about 1 in 5 students" end up in medical school. NOT the number I was hoping for but she said that not all students who attend the program actually apply to med school so be careful when interpreting that number. Some simply go straight into pharma industry after graduating while others simply did not do well to apply.

I ask that you please not call them to confirm this number because it will be painfully obvious that this info came from me and it may seem that I'm trying to bad mouth the program. I am not. Simply sharing a stat which you should and am sure were dying to know.

Guys, I called yesterday afternoon and was told that "about 1 in 5 students" end up in medical school. NOT the number I was hoping for but she said that not all students who attend the program actually apply to med school so be careful when interpreting that number. Some simply go straight into pharma industry after graduating while others simply did not do well to apply.

I ask that you please not call them to confirm this number because it will be painfully obvious that this info came from me and it may seem that I'm trying to bad mouth the program. I am not. Simply sharing a stat which you should and am sure were dying to know.

Oh and another thing to consider: Many candidates entering the MBS program have MCATs in the 24-26 range which is under average for an MD school so this contributes to that conversion rate. And this number was off the cuff since they dont keep official track of graduates.

My personal conclusion: It's an SMP and the chance of not gettting into medical school is always assumed. Do well, get great recommendations and compensate with a good MCAT and you'll get in.

Oh and another thing to consider: Many candidates entering the MBS program have MCATs in the 24-26 range which is under average for an MD school so this contributes to that conversion rate. And this number was off the cuff since they dont keep official track of graduates.

My personal conclusion: It's an SMP and the chance of not gettting into medical school is always assumed. Do well, get great recommendations and compensate with a good MCAT and you'll get in.

I agree with that because many of the students that apply to the program are not trying to get into medical/dental school..PhD hopefuls or just to gain more knowledge for work experience. I think that you have to do the work and perform well..I know in the next coming years they will be able to gear the program to attract more pre-dents and pre-meds and to help them better matriculate into health professions school.

to those accepted at stratford, was it a big envelope or a small one so i know what to expect haha

Last edited:
I agree with that because many of the students that apply to the program are not trying to get into medical/dental school..PhD hopefuls or just to gain more knowledge for work experience. I think that you have to do the work and perform well..I know in the next coming years they will be able to gear the program to attract more pre-dents and pre-meds and to help them better matriculate into health professions school.

YEah, I wish they had a stat for people in the top 20% who actually applied. I'm sure it's at least 70%.

Thanks maxim! for sharing the info that I was "dying to know"!!

I didn't expect high %, but it is lower than I was thinking..

I guess in that sense a program with smaller number of students (e.g. Tulane or EVMS) would be better for us..
but GSBS is my top choice anyway and I will just study hard to remain in top 20%...

Anyone know what the class size is for stratford and newark? thanks

Just got off the phone with Leslie at UMDNJ-Newark. Said my application was complete but not reviewed yet. Then said the next review will be in April and they review applications once a month. Also when I asked if they had a lot of seats open still, she said "yes because they have only had one review so far". So for those still waiting that was a good reassurance!

Just got off the phone with Leslie at UMDNJ-Newark. Said my application was complete but not reviewed yet. Then said the next review will be in April and they review applications once a month. Also when I asked if they had a lot of seats open still, she said "yes because they have only had one review so far". So for those still waiting that was a good reassurance!

awesome..

Got some news on the Stratford program. Talked to Krystal today via e-mail and she said that 70% of their MBS graduates get into medical, vet, or dental school. They accept a maximum of 60 students for the Fall. Their thesis program involves research within a lab with an assigned mentor and that most students take 3 semesters to complete the thesis. I'm assuming Fall, Spring, Summer. They also started a new MBS/MPH program this year for those who are interested.

Forgot to add..she said that 33% of those who graduate the MBS program get into SOM. Thats for all you pre-med guys out there haha

Last edited:
Got some news on the Stratford program. Talked to Krystal today via e-mail and she said that 70% of their MBS graduates get into medical, vet, or dental school. They accept a maximum of 60 students for the Fall. Their thesis program involves research within a lab with an assigned mentor and that most students take 3 semesters to complete the thesis. I'm assuming Fall, Spring, Summer. They also started a new MBS/MPH program this year for those who are interested.

damn only 70 seats :scared: and NWK is 150??..my stats arent that great so that makes me a little worried now..::sighs:: just going to have to keep on waiting..

They are both GREAT programs and my friends that are in Stratford say its pretty intense..the material is not hard, but the AMOUNT of what they have to learn and study..mmm different story...doable though :)

Forgot to add..she said that 33% of those who graduate the MBS program get into SOM. Thats for all you pre-med guys out there haha

I guess then the Stratford program should be harder to get in than the Newark one..

Hmm..

hey everyone!

I've been secretly stalking this thread and just got my acceptance letter to Newark on Saturday. I figured I wanted to know who was getting in when I was waiting to hear so I thought I'd let you guys know. I received my "complete" letter on March 13th and my acceptance letter was dated March 26th (I currently live in Chicago but am technically an NJ resident). I will be attending the program, so I can't wait to meet everyone else who's going there! I had a 3.3 cum gpa, and 3.0 science gpa from Northwestern; 30P MCAT. Good luck to everyone else... I whole-heartedly feel your pain!!

Congrats!!
I was complete on the March 10th...Hoping to receive some good news in the mail Monday but considering the fact that I live in Jersey probably means they haven't reviewed my file =/

Last edited:
hey everyone!

I've been secretly stalking this thread and just got my acceptance letter to Newark on Saturday. I figured I wanted to know who was getting in when I was waiting to hear so I thought I'd let you guys know. I received my "complete" letter on March 13th and my acceptance letter was dated March 26th (I currently live in Chicago but am technically an NJ resident). I will be attending the program, so I can't wait to meet everyone else who's going there! I had a 3.3 cum gpa, and 3.0 science gpa from Northwestern; 30P MCAT. Good luck to everyone else... I whole-heartedly feel your pain!!

Congratulations on your acceptance!! Join the Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57818004454&ref=mf

But quick question..why did you decide to do an SMP rather than apply to medical school??

Congrats!!
I was complete on the March 10th...Hoping to receive some good news in the mail Monday but considering the fact that I live in Jersey probably means they haven't reviewed my file =/

Albuterol, why would they not have reviewd your file considering you are a NJ resident? I am seeing a couple people who applied after you that are getting acceptances. Weird.

congrats to all who got in so far. im unsure of this program right now and it seems like RU/UMDNJ-RWJ has more pros than this program. i talked to the med schools and they told me that my chances will be far better completing the joint program instead of the mbs. i was gonna apply to med school in june however they wouldnt see my mbs grades if i applied. if i finish the program in a year, theres still a chance i have nothing to do the year after. so basically im waiting to hear if i get a full scholarship from RU/UMDNJ... if so im going there.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! Join the Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=57818004454&ref=mf

But quick question..why did you decide to do an SMP rather than apply to medical school??

Well I actually did apply to med school this current cycle. I applied to 8 schools (including both NJ schools) and didn't get any interview invites... so I figured applying to an SMP would be the next step. I'm hoping improving my GPA will help my application... and I'm planning on reapplying next year.

I called on March 24th and the lady I spoke with said my file had not been reviewed yet. It's kind of bothering me as I really want to go here, but the administration at Stratford has been so helpful and I'm hoping to hear back with good news from BU's Oral Health Concentration program also. Waiting sucks, but congrats to all those that got in, must feel good!

Well I actually did apply to med school this current cycle. I applied to 8 schools (including both NJ schools) and didn't get any interview invites... so I figured applying to an SMP would be the next step. I'm hoping improving my GPA will help my application... and I'm planning on reapplying next year.

Gotcha..SMP will def help.

and Albuterol, I feel your pain. Just keep waiting it out, it's definitely frustrating for sure. Hopefully you will hear something VERY soon..

Last edited:
Hey guys. Congrats to those who've gotten it, and for those still waiting, keep it up! You'll get good news soon!

I had a question that's been on my mind since I received my acceptance. I am going to the GSBS in the fall of 2009 and planned on re-applying to medical school this summer; however I'm not sure if I should because I don't know how much better the odds of getting in are from last year. I am retaking the MCATs to see if I can raise my 28 into the 30s and my GPA has gone up since the last time I applied...3.61--> 3.66 and if all goes according to plan I can bring it up to a 3.7 by the end of this semester. But the thing is I can only put that I was accepted to the GSBS on my apps, I can't put anything on them about my grades from the program or progress made for the schools to look at. So I am not sure if I should put off applying to med school until I complete the program or take the chance and apply this upcoming cycle.
I think I am going to make an appointment with my pre-health advisor, because I am really confused as to what to do. But I thought I would seek an answer from you guys before hand:)

Gotcha..SMP will def help.

and Albuterol, I feel your pain. Just keep waiting it out, it definitely frustrating for sure. Hopefully you will hear something VERY soon..

Thanks man...I'm hoping you hear from Stratford soon too! Have you contacted Krystal to check on your application?

Hey guys. Congrats to those who've gotten it, and for those still waiting, keep it up! You'll get good news soon!

I had a question that's been on my mind since I received my acceptance. I am going to the GSBS in the fall of 2009 and planned on re-applying to medical school this summer; however I'm not sure if I should because I don't know how much better the odds of getting in are from last year. I am retaking the MCATs to see if I can raise my 28 into the 30s and my GPA has gone up since the last time I applied...3.61--> 3.66 and if all goes according to plan I can bring it up to a 3.7 by the end of this semester. But the thing is I can only put that I was accepted to the GSBS on my apps, I can't put anything on them about my grades from the program or progress made for the schools to look at. So I am not sure if I should put off applying to med school until I complete the program or take the chance and apply this upcoming cycle.
I think I am going to make an appointment with my pre-health advisor, because I am really confused as to what to do. But I thought I would seek an answer from you guys before hand:)

I asked a similar question to Dean Sanford who is UConn Med's Dean of Admissions and also runs their Post-Bac program. He said typically they will wait to see the end of your first semester grades, although they may even wait until the end of your 2nd semester grades (i.e. waitlist you, see how you do for the whole year, and then change your place on the waitlist accordingly).

I plan on re-applying during the year; i wont expect an interview or anything until the first semester is over

I'm away in NJ right now, but hopefully when I get back to CT, i have a UMDNJ-GSBS Newark letter waiting for me. I had a complete date of March 10th I think, so hopefully!

I asked a similar question to Dean Sanford who is UConn Med's Dean of Admissions and also runs their Post-Bac program. He said typically they will wait to see the end of your first semester grades, although they may even wait until the end of your 2nd semester grades (i.e. waitlist you, see how you do for the whole year, and then change your place on the waitlist accordingly).

I plan on re-applying during the year; i wont expect an interview or anything until the first semester is over

I'm away in NJ right now, but hopefully when I get back to CT, i have a UMDNJ-GSBS Newark letter waiting for me. I had a complete date of March 10th I think, so hopefully!

Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense. I am most likely going to re-apply this summer just because I don't want to have a year between grad school and med school. I would much rather make a smooth transition with no lag period.

Hey guys, I love the feedback you're writing about thta you have recieved from med schools. If anyone has more, PLEASE post it.

I myself am waiting for an answer from UMDNJ-NJMS's assoc. dean and director of admissions regarding how they view MBS applicants. Will post as soon as I get feedback.

congrats to all who got in so far. im unsure of this program right now and it seems like RU/UMDNJ-RWJ has more pros than this program. i talked to the med schools and they told me that my chances will be far better completing the joint program instead of the mbs. i was gonna apply to med school in june however they wouldnt see my mbs grades if i applied. if i finish the program in a year, theres still a chance i have nothing to do the year after. so basically im waiting to hear if i get a full scholarship from RU/UMDNJ... if so im going there.

Really? That's interesting. Well thats good that you are doing your research and learning about all of this in advance :thumbup:.

Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense. I am most likely going to re-apply this summer just because I don't want to have a year between grad school and med school. I would much rather make a smooth transition with no lag period.

Yeah that what I was going to say..that you should apply this summer, and indicate that you are doing this program. I think it will work in your favor because you have some solid numbers..just indicate that on your application (which I am sure you knew already lol).

Hey guys, I love the feedback you're writing about thta you have recieved from med schools. If anyone has more, PLEASE post it.

I myself am waiting for an answer from UMDNJ-NJMS's assoc. dean and director of admissions regarding how they view MBS applicants. Will post as soon as I get feedback.

YES PLEASE POST!! :D I spoke to some people @ NJMS and they let me know that the MBS program is definitely a plus. They love to "keep their own" and doing this type of program lets them know that you can handle the coursework. I have not gotten that far up the dean and assoc. dean so that feedback will definitely be great. I have spoken to Mr. Lonnie Wright, Ms. Rivero (Lettman) and Tiffanie Hart. They gave me some great feedback about the program.

In other news I have called both Newark and Straford to find out the status of my application..I am complete at both places, my app went to review today @ Stratford, turn around should be two-three weeks...and at Newark she told me that the next review is Mid to late April (oooo the wait lol)..know that I am going to hear some good news real soon...

Titan will the MBS program really help you? You have a good gpa and if you bring it up to a 3.7 I'm sure that's considered competitive. Looks like the MCAT is your problem and if you retake and score well 30+ you should be in good shape. Have thought about another degree such an MPH which may help diversify your application a bit?

i think you should do that because im in the same situation. this is why im double thinking the whole SMP thing. they wont see my grades from the SMP if i apply this june so the 2 year program at RU/UMDNJ joint degree is a better choice for me. still weighing everything out. let us know how ur appt goes.