UMass vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• VCU

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • UMass

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

rgao972

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow experts of SDN! I know that the deadline for school selection is approaching in a few days. I was fortunate enough to be accepted to both schools and am currently waitlisted at USF Morsani (CORE). (if you are a medical student there, I would love to chat more). I am chronically bad at making decisions, so would love any input anyone has towards my situation!

Also, I started a tattoo apprenticeship over the past few months after I received my acceptance, and really hope to do some research regarding skin-safe pigments, allergic contact dermatitis, and/or keloid formations in POCs. Maybe I am a little delusional but I am hoping to maybe do a few tattoo gigs during vacation to supplement my daily expense. so this is why I also hope to be near major metropolitan cities.

VCU:
+ In-state tuition, (35k/yr + moderate COL), (however I have no attachment to the state and only ended up in Virginia because of my gap year clinical work, my family is overseas)
+ Decent match list
+ Seem to have a collaborative vibe, P/F curriculum (interviewer had us do a mediation session before interview which I thought was really cute)
+ seem to have a Arts in Healthcare collaboration with a director who's MD/MBA, though am not sure how developed the program is at all
+/- Nice city, however much smaller than cities I am used to (ex. D.C., Shanghai, Tokyo etc.), it is 2hr drive from D.C. but knowing my lazy self I probably won't be diligent enough to make the drive
- lower ranked (#62)
- Heard negative comments about research sites being far away

UMass:
+ higher-ranked (#47), recently received $147 million donation so it might raise even more over the next few years, brand new research building that will be put into use next year
+ Have friends near me (a nice plus but not a must)
+ Great match list, largest VA as a training site
- extremely harsh weather in the winter
- Wrocester is not dynamic at all (but is an hour to Boston)
- almost 100k more expensive than VCU!!!!!

So I guess the question really is, is the difference in rank and "potential" worth 100K? (I come from a low-income immigrant family, so I am leaning towards VCU's lower cost, but since my father's biggest regret in life is that he didn't jump on a more "prestigious" opportunity due to financial reasons when he was younger, his rhetoric is really starting to mess with my decision making..)

Members don't see this ad.

Also, please let me know if there are other factors I should research before deciding! thanks in advance :)