UM vs. USF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

U-Miami or USF

• Miami

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • USF

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gatorsniper17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I had the pleasure of being accepted to UM (Miami) today but now I have to make a final decision between UM and USF by Monday at the latest.

I'm 50/50 split and it's really hard to make this decision. I went to UF for undergrad and am from south Florida originally, looking to live in a city on the coast (how convenient lol). I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm really interested in ortho surgery at this point. Obviously that could completely change.

UM Pros:
-World renown med school that has a lot of recognition in and outside of Florida
-Very down to earth, laid back students
-Cases will be some of the worst and will provide an unmatched learning opportunity
-Family close to home 30 minutes north
-Medical Campus all in one spot
-Great average board scores (obviously it's up to the individual though)

UM Cons:
-Expensive city to live in
-Almost everyone speaks spanish (I'm white, I don't speak it yet but I'd like to learn)
-Parking situation and commuting may be a pain/expensive

USF Pros:
-Everyone was exceeding friendly
-TGH is amazing
-Students were also very laid back and relaxed
-Tampa's a very nice city

USF Cons:
-Commuting between the clinics I heard can be a pain

Basically, I see USF as a safe bet where I'll like being and it's a good medium between Gainesville and Miami. UM has this allure to it though because I grew up seeing all the worst trauma cases on the news taken to Jackson etc..
I didn't get to see Miami for a second look, though I did see USF. Both have integrated clinical curriculums with early patient exposure from what I've heard. The cost of tuition is comparable because I didn't get any scholarships from USF.

Does anyone have any input on this because I'm at a loss and I felt equally impressed and very comfortable with both programs?
Thanks and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

That's a toughie! I may be (if I am lucky enough to get off UM's wailist) be in a similar predicament, so this thread could be interesting.

And congrats, gatorsniper! Did you get a phone call?

That's a toughie! I may be (if I am lucky enough to get off UM's wailist) be in a similar predicament, so this thread could be interesting.

And congrats, gatorsniper! Did you get a phone call?
Yeah Dr. Weisman called me this morning. Thanks!

Anyone else have input that has maybe made this decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey gatorsniper.... I never post on here, but I am in the same situation and am very confused as well. I did UF for undergrad, and before today was accepted at USF and UF and on Miami's alternate list. I chose USF over UF on Wednesday and now just got off Miami's alternate list. I feel horrible because I just sent in my final acceptance form to USF, but I did like Miami a lot when I interviewed. I was getting pretty excited about USF, but now I'm leaning towards Miami because of its better ranking, the clinical opportunities in Miami, and location (I'm originally from Tampa so Miami might be a nice change for me). I also think I might have better chances for residency coming from Miami... Do you think this is true?
My only worry is the financial issues at Jackson... Does anyone know how this affects the students at the medical school, their future chances, etc?

Hey gatorsniper.... I never post on here, but I am in the same situation and am very confused as well. I did UF for undergrad, and before today was accepted at USF and UF and on Miami's alternate list. I chose USF over UF on Wednesday and now just got off Miami's alternate list. I feel horrible because I just sent in my final acceptance form to USF, but I did like Miami a lot when I interviewed. I was getting pretty excited about USF, but now I'm leaning towards Miami because of its better ranking, the clinical opportunities in Miami, and location (I'm originally from Tampa so Miami might be a nice change for me). I also think I might have better chances for residency coming from Miami... Do you think this is true?
My only worry is the financial issues at Jackson... Does anyone know how this affects the students at the medical school, their future chances, etc?
I just emailed Weisman that exact question of the financial situation at Jackson. He wrote me back and it's not of a lot of concern to the med school. I'll PM you the email if you want.
USF and UM were way above UF to me.

I agree.... I had a soft spot for UF because they were the first school to accept me, but aside from the faculty who interviewed me, who were terrific, I did not get the feeling I got at USF and UM. Students at both USF and UM seemed so much happier and more excited about their schools. Plus I get the competitive vibe at UF, and not at all from UM and USF. Unfortunately that doesn't help me in my current decision.

That would be great if you could send me that email. Its just so hard to make a decision so quickly with absolutely no way of knowing which one is the right one ....:confused:

hey man, ive been in a similar boat. i graduated from uf in 08 and got accepted to both usf and miami. last night, i decided finally to choose miami over usf. for one, miami was a bit cheaper for me, so that definitely played a role. i liked the curriculum at miami better, its more integrated than just about every school i know. i wanted a change of scenery as well, as ive lived in a medium sized city in orlando and a tiny town in gainesville.

based on what i hear about jackson, its more of a problem for residents than med students, i wouldnt worry about it.

the better reputation and the the better clinical exposure at miami really helps too. the better research opportunities mean that ill have more options for my future.

Hey all,
I had the pleasure of being accepted to UM (Miami) today but now I have to make a final decision between UM and USF by Monday at the latest.

I'm 50/50 split and it's really hard to make this decision. I went to UF for undergrad and am from south Florida originally, looking to live in a city on the coast (how convenient lol). I'm not sure what I want to do yet, but I'm really interested in ortho surgery at this point. Obviously that could completely change.

UM Pros:
-World renown med school that has a lot of recognition in and outside of Florida
-Cases will be some of the worst and will provide an unmatched learning opportunity

UM Cons:
-Almost everyone speaks spanish (I'm white, I don't speak it yet but I'd like to learn)

USF Pros:
-TGH is amazing

USF Cons:

Basically, I see USF as a safe bet where I'll like being and it's a good medium between Gainesville and Miami. UM has this allure to it though because I grew up seeing all the worst trauma cases on the news taken to Jackson etc..
I didn't get to see Miami for a second look, though I did see USF. Both have integrated clinical curriculums with early patient exposure from what I've heard. The cost of tuition is comparable because I didn't get any scholarships from USF.

Does anyone have any input on this because I'm at a loss and I felt equally impressed and very comfortable with both programs?
Thanks and good luck!

Gatorsniper, you do not have to make a decision by Monday. You just received the UM offer today so you can have two weeks. You do not have to make a rushed decision unless you get a short-notice offer very close to when a program starts.

The dean told me I had until Monday as well. I think after May 15, the decisions have to be made very rapidly because you can't be holding more than one acceptance....

The dean told me I had until Monday as well. I think after May 15, the decisions have to be made very rapidly because you can't be holding more than one acceptance....

Actually you should get two weeks. The AAMC traffic rules addresses this specifically. You are entitled to have time to make this decision, obtain financial information, etc, for two weeks prior to having to make a decision. This should also be specified on the programs admissions site as well. You get two weeks unless it's and early start program or you are close to class start later in the year.

Hey all,

UM Pros:

UM Cons:

USF Pros:
-TGH is amazing

USF Cons:

Thanks and good luck!

I envy your position! USF was my first choice coming into this cycle, unfortunately I was rejected lol You only have one negative listed about USF so I can see you are leaning that way. I'd obviously pick USF... great curriculum, excellent faculty, and Tampa is a very underrated city (sort of like a little Miami but friendlier).

I find this thread interesting because my dad was in this position back in '80; graduated from UF and was accepted into UM and USF. UF gave him the OK, but he had already chosen USF. His decision came down to area and price. He had some bad experiences in Miami and it was going to be a lot more than USF. For current applicants, more crime in Miami could translate to more exposure to busy trauma centers, but then again TGH is a Level 1 Trauma Center as well. I grew up in the Tampa area right down the road from USF, so I can attest to the proximity of clinics and hospitals around the area. I just graduated from UF undergrad this May, and I am definitely keeping USF as an option for medical school. UM sounds great, but maybe a little too much money then I would want to have in debt fresh out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Either school is great, though. Congratulations and good luck you guys!

On a different note, I don't think money is a terribly big concern. Yes, the cost of living at Miami is higher, but the two schools' tuition is already at equivalent level and USF's tuition is increasing by quite a bit each year while Miami's is staying stagnant. The total COA difference is only $4300 ($50,468 for USF and $54,732 for Miami) and it will most likely only shrink.

On a different note, I don't think money is a terribly big concern. Yes, the cost of living at Miami is higher, but the two schools' tuition is already at equivalent level and USF's tuition is increasing by quite a bit each year while Miami's is staying stagnant. The total COA difference is only $4300 ($50,468 for USF and $54,732 for Miami) and it will most likely only shrink.

Dude, I'm telling you, you wouldn't begin to comprehend how expensive life in Miami is until you actually live here

Dude, I'm telling you, you wouldn't begin to comprehend how expensive life in Miami is until you actually live here

I've got plenty of friends/relatives/acquaintances living in more expensive cities, so I have an idea :D Tampa isn't THAT cheap to live in either, it's no Gainesville for sure.

I dont even know where I'm leaning at this point. UM is terrific and I loved everything about USF. I appreciate all of the comments on here. I'm from south florida and I know a decent amount about Miami. Tampa would be a great city to live in, I actually prefer it to Miami, but the opportunities in Miami may be slightly better.
Btw Dingy, how is miamis curriculum better than USFs? I thought USF was also exceptionally integrated, but I must admit, I didn't get a great feel for the UM curriculum during my interview day (kinda zoned out in the meeting lol).

gatorsniper17 said:
I dont even know where I'm leaning at this point. UM is terrific and I loved everything about USF. I appreciate all of the comments on here. I'm from south florida and I know a decent amount about Miami. Tampa would be a great city to live in, I actually prefer it to Miami, but the opportunities in Miami may be slightly better.
Btw Dingy, how is miamis curriculum better than USFs? I thought USF was also exceptionally integrated, but I must admit, I didn't get a great feel for the UM curriculum during my interview day (kinda zoned out in the meeting lol).
Their curriculum is practically identical, especially now that usf has changed the curriculum for this year. Usf's curriculum is now even more integrated than um's it seems. You can get the new usf curriculum on their website. Good luck deciding!

Their curriculum is practically identical, especially now that usf has changed the curriculum for this year. Usf's curriculum is now even more integrated than um's it seems. You can get the new usf curriculum on their website. Good luck deciding!

Now, I could be very wrong here, but it seems to me that USF simply switched to a more strictly system based curriculum. I don't see much more integration than before, it appears to still be normal physiology the first year and pathology the second year, which is very similar to what many other schools are. The only additional integration as far as I can see is that they're now integrating the basic sciences(molecular biology) into each system block rather than having molecular biology as a separate block before beginning the various systems blocks. It does appear, however, that they're coordinating the courses better now with strict separations of system blocks.

Old USF curriculum:
Year1_web.jpg

Year2_web.jpg

New USF curriculum:
usfnew.jpg

Miami's curriculum seems to me like it integrates physiology and pathology together for each organ system module(block). I might actually end up hating it, but right now I think I prefer it that way. For example, instead of learning everything about the normal heart, take a year's break(while learning other organ systems), then learn everything about the diseased heart, at Miami we'd learn about the normal heart and immediately the diseased heart together. On the other hand, Miami does separate out the basic courses such as Anatomy, Molecular Bio, Immunology, etc. into separate blocks before beginning the systems blocks.

Miami curriculum:
miami.jpg

Now, I could be very wrong here, but it seems to me that USF simply switched to a more strictly system based curriculum. I don't see much more integration than before, it appears to still be normal physiology the first year and pathology the second year, which is very similar to what many other schools are. The only additional integration as far as I can see is that they're now integrating the basic sciences(molecular biology) into each system block rather than having molecular biology as a separate block before beginning the various systems blocks. It does appear, however, that they're coordinating the courses better now with strict separations of system blocks.

Old USF curriculum:
Year1_web.jpg

Year2_web.jpg

New USF curriculum:
usfnew.jpg

Miami's curriculum seems to me like it integrates physiology and pathology together for each organ system module(block). I might actually end up hating it, but right now I think I prefer it that way. For example, instead of learning everything about the normal heart, take a year's break(while learning other organ systems), then learn everything about the diseased heart, at Miami we'd learn about the normal heart and immediately the diseased heart together. On the other hand, Miami does separate out the basic courses such as Anatomy, Molecular Bio, Immunology, etc. into separate blocks before beginning the systems blocks.

Miami curriculum:
miami.jpg

Very informative post! Ultimately it's all a matter of personal preference. It's not like you could go wrong at either of these places. I just wish I had the USF option, that was by far my first choice. :(

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I attend Miami and love it, and thus am obviously biased and I admittedly know nothing about USF.

Just to address a few of your cons:

"Parking situation and commuting can be a pain in the ass."

If you're referring to the campus itself, this couldn't be further from the truth. Parking is convenient (the student garages are a 5 minute walk from the med school building) and always available at the campus if you choose to go that route. The commute is also easy considering that the 3 main places people live (brickell, downtown, south beach) are traveling the opposite direction from traffic in the morning and afternoon, and if you have convenient metro access it's even easier. Basically, it's not something to worry about.

"Everyone speaks spanish..."

It seems to be something people worry about when making the decision to come here, but I've never heard any students genuinely bothered by it. While I wouldn't consider it a non-issue, I think it is one that's blown a bit out of proportion.

"Expensive city to live in"

This is absolutely true, but like anywhere you go it will depend on your lifestyle. It's certainly no Gainesville, but as someone else said it's certainly not THAT MUCH more expensive than Tampa.

Those are just my two cents regarding your "cons" list. Best of luck making the decision, they're both great schools and hopefully someone can chime in a bit about USF.

I envy your position! USF was my first choice coming into this cycle, unfortunately I was rejected lol You only have one negative listed about USF so I can see you are leaning that way. I'd obviously pick USF... great curriculum, excellent faculty, and Tampa is a very underrated city (sort of like a little Miami but friendlier).

Were you rejected from USF post-interview or were you waitlisted, and then rejected?? I am currently waitlisted at USF, just wanted to get a feel for the movement...

Say you're interested in one of the more competitive residencies, would UM or USF position you better if you wanted to go into something like ortho/plastics/derm? I know it's up to the individual but if I wanted the option of going out of state for residency down the road, would UM's widespread name recognition help me at all with that if all else was equal?

Both places meet my most important characteristic it seems, having a solid, integrated curriculum with a more relaxed, laid back atmosphere. A lot of other things are equal as well so I'm just trying to gauge where one might have an advantage over the other. I don't have a gut feeling between either one and I've waffled back and forth the last couple of days. I really wish UM had a second look though because the people I met at USF second look definitely serves as a big plus for USF.

I think more competitive specialty is more dependent on yourself, but more competitive residency program will depend RELATIVELY more on the name of the school.

FWIW I hear from my 7 year med friends at USF that their parking situation can be pretty bad. I had some experience with this when I did a summer at Moffitt... I had to park a 10-15 minute shuttle ride away from where I actually worked :cool: but they probably treat their med students better than their summer interns haha.

USF did a really good job on their interview day and I left very much impressed. I turned down my Miami interview after receiving some other acceptances, so I don't really know much about Miami :(. Based on what I *do* know about Miami as an outsider, I think Miami sounds more in line with what I would personally choose. I'm interested in doing research and have not eliminated the more competitive specialties from my ideas of where I see myself after med school. I think Miami's reputation would have facilitated reaching those goals more naturally for me.

If you're interested in primary care, I don't think USF can be beat (they have an intense amount of clinical exposure and they claim they practice with standardized patients up to five times more than your average med school). If you're looking to leave the most options open, Miami might allow for more flexibility. The difference is likely not substantial, though, and you won't be closing options off if you do end up at USF. As much as you'll hate hearing it, you just have to go with what feels right :D

Last edited:
Say you're interested in one of the more competitive residencies, would UM or USF position you better if you wanted to go into something like ortho/plastics/derm? I know it's up to the individual but if I wanted the option of going out of state for residency down the road, would UM's widespread name recognition help me at all with that if all else was equal?

Both places meet my most important characteristic it seems, having a solid, integrated curriculum with a more relaxed, laid back atmosphere. A lot of other things are equal as well so I'm just trying to gauge where one might have an advantage over the other. I don't have a gut feeling between either one and I've waffled back and forth the last couple of days. I really wish UM had a second look though because the people I met at USF second look definitely serves as a big plus for USF.
I don't think there's really a big difference reputation-wise. Like I said, I would choose based on location since all else is equal for you. Would you rather spend the next four years living in Tampa or Miami? If you tell me that you like both of those cities equally, well, then I guess I will tell you to just flip a coin. Heads is USF!

My brother lives in Miami and let me tell you that his 1 bedroom apartment on Brickel avenue with all the perks of a gym, 3 pools, 2 bar like areas, 2 spas, male and female steam rooms and saunas, etc. etc. is less then the cost of my apartment across from Boston University School of Medicine by 400 dollars less. Cost in boston is far more expensive then Miami.

Cost in NYC is even worse then either city.

Cost of living isn't the issue. Cost of tuition can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.