UK med school to North America

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballaballa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to seek advice from UK med. school graduates completing their residencies in North America or current students contemplating the same, regarding the process of returning to North America after pursuing their medical education in UK.

So, grads and NA students alike, how easy is this process of returning back to North America? How has this experience been for you? LET ME CLARIFY: By easy, I don't mean sit back and do no work whatsoever, I mean, is it possible for grads to secure residencies in NA?

Right now, I have two offers in hand, Birmingham, and RCSI. The thing is that RCSI boasts about getting 100% of it NA students residencies in the US, but I understand that Birmingham offers a higher level of education. At the same time, I don't really see any evidence saying that RCSI actually helps you obtain this residency (meaning this is purely a result of the hard work of the student). Therefore, my thoughts are to complete my education from Birmingham, however I still want to know whether I will be faced with any additional (such as not being prepared for the USMLE/ MCCQE) difficulties should I complete my degree from B-ham.

Sorry for the long read!!

your insights would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest Birmingham. The difficulties will be the same for both locations -- curriculum timing will not be lined up with USMLEs. That said, there are many US curriculums which are not lined up with USMLEs. The benefits of an education at Birmingham far outweigh whatever remote advising RCSI could give. In the end, you will be an international student, on your own, preparing for your future, at either place. Choose the location and environment that best suites you, as the difference between the two in preparation help is probably minimal.

Congrats btw!! :) That's very cool. Have you visited Birmingham? I'm looking to it as a possibility for my fourth slot. Good luck with your choices. =)

ballaballa said:
Hi there,

I would like to seek advice from UK med. school graduates completing their residencies in North America or current students contemplating the same, regarding the process of returning to North America after pursuing their medical education in UK.

So, grads and NA students alike, how easy is this process of returning back to North America? How has this experience been for you? LET ME CLARIFY: By easy, I don't mean sit back and do no work whatsoever, I mean, is it possible for grads to secure residencies in NA?

Right now, I have two offers in hand, Birmingham, and RCSI. The thing is that RCSI boasts about getting 100% of it NA students residencies in the US, but I understand that Birmingham offers a higher level of education. At the same time, I don't really see any evidence saying that RCSI actually helps you obtain this residency (meaning this is purely a result of the hard work of the student). Therefore, my thoughts are to complete my education from Birmingham, however I still want to know whether I will be faced with any additional (such as not being prepared for the USMLE/ MCCQE) difficulties should I complete my degree from B-ham.

Sorry for the long read!!

your insights would be greatly appreciated!

eastofnorth said:
I suggest Birmingham. The difficulties will be the same for both locations -- curriculum timing will not be lined up with USMLEs. That said, there are many US curriculums which are not lined up with USMLEs. The benefits of an education at Birmingham far outweigh whatever remote advising RCSI could give. In the end, you will be an international student, on your own, preparing for your future, at either place. Choose the location and environment that best suites you, as the difference between the two in preparation help is probably minimal.

Congrats btw!! :) That's very cool. Have you visited Birmingham? I'm looking to it as a possibility for my fourth slot. Good luck with your choices. =)

Hi eastofnorth,

Thanks for the advice. Your thoughts were pretty much exactly what I was thinking initially, but I guess I needed some reassurance.

I understand that because I am a foreign student it will be purely my responsibility to study for the USMLEs and such. The worst case scenario is that I will stay in the UK, and to tell you the truth, I'm I'd be okay with that.

To answer your question, yes I have visited the city of Birmingham and the university, and to say the least, I was very impressed by both. Birmingham is a lively city of about one million people, and has pretty much everything you could ask for. Apparently it is the second largest city in the UK (I think? or maybe it's Manchester? Nevertheless, you get my point! haha). As for the school, I understand that it is also one of the largest (apparently it has seven teaching hospitals :eek: ) and most prestigious (according to the people I talked to in the UK) in the UK, so I don't think you could go wrong in choosing it for your fourth slot. Trust me, I'm not just saying that because I applied there. :laugh:.

Anyways, enough of my musings. Thanks again for your advice, and good luck!

ballaballa said:
Hi eastofnorth,
To answer your question, yes I have visited the city of Birmingham and the university, and to say the least, I was very impressed by both. Birmingham is a lively city of about one million people, and has pretty much everything you could ask for. Apparently it is the second largest city in the UK (I think? or maybe it's Manchester? Nevertheless, you get my point! haha). As for the school, I understand that it is also one of the largest (apparently it has seven teaching hospitals :eek: ) and most prestigious (according to the people I talked to in the UK) in the UK, so I don't think you could go wrong in choosing it for your fourth slot. Trust me, I'm not just saying that because I applied there. :laugh:.

Anyways, enough of my musings. Thanks again for your advice, and good luck!

Ditto to your reassurances -- I will only be driving through the city during my trip this month, but I will be sure to take a closer look. Maybe stop somewhere near the university for lunch. =) Any city with the cadbury factory can't be all that bad, right? :laugh: