UIC vs UChicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mango6110

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to get some help regarding these two programs. I have done a search and read through all the previous forums, but I am still have a really hard time on deciding which to rank above the other. I was hoping I could get some perspective from other applicants and/or residents.

So I had a great interview day at UIC and also really enjoyed the pre-interview dinner (I thought the residents were really fun, laid back and I could see myself getting along with them). UChicago does not have a pre-interview dinner so I thought it was a lot harder to figure out the cohesiveness of the group.

UIC seems to have great training, awesome group of faculty and residents. My concerns are that there may be too many clinical sites at UIC, will i be able to practice anywhere coming out of uic?

Uchicago has a great flight program, great rep, lots of critical care time but there has been a number of issues in the past year. Is this a concern? Since I did not get a good sense of the residents, are they as happy and cohesive?

Anyone have any thoughts, I am really confused, I could use any help I can get. Is anyone else in the same situation? I have gone over this multiple times and deadline is coming up, so I could really use a different perspective. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

i just think training at Uchicago will look more favorable when applying for jobs, especially if the jobs are not in the midwest.

I'm not training at either one of these programs, but I don't think that it will matter which one you go to in terms of where you'll be able to practice when you get done. If you take a look at some of the threads on the topic, you see the theme that in most cases it doesn't matter where you train in EM you'll not have a hard time getting a job as long as you can show:
1.) You move meat.
2.) You don't generate complaints.
A slight caveat to this would be that I've heard it's hard to get a job in a few places, like Colorado, unless you were trained there. In this case, it won't matter which one you go to. Also, it is often said that if you want to go into academic EM, then a four year program is often preferred. Now, I'm still a resident, but from what I've seen this is probably only true for academic EM at four year residencies (In other words, to be faculty at a 4 year residency program you'll likely need a 4 year residency. 3 year residencies don't care.)

I'm not in either of these programs, but I can tell you that from reading your first post, you seem to be favoring UIC. If so, pick that one. There is no right answer here, only what you feel like is the best match for you.

I like UIC better. It is number 3 on my ROL. It was more like a family atmophere than UoC. Also with UoC, driving to all those distant hospitals would really suck, especially in Chicago traffic. And i also thought the UoC PD was a little odd....