UIC student elective question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cc5409

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to decide between Masonic, Meryc, and Lutheran to rotate through for my UIC emergency medicine away elective. I really would like to end up back at Chicago for EM and was wondering which hospital would be the best for a visiting student.

Members don't see this ad.

Way back when I was an EM hopeful Mercy was considered the best site, but you had to rotate at UIC to work with the PD. That being said, you can get an LOR from any of the sites. I think what's most important is to figure out which attending(s) you're going to work multiple shifts with (look at the attending schedule as soon as you get yours), and try to impress him or her so you can ask for an LOR at the end of the month.

bump, also wondering this

2 main considerations
1) coming from west coast and not really all that familiar with the Chicago area so would need housing, which site would be easiest and safest to find housing around

2) Education (more important than #1): Learning, this will likely be my 1st ever rotation in EM and i really want to have a good learning experience, can anyone comment on which site was the best learning experience.

Last edited: