How to prepare for an EM elective? Where to study from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tarsuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a ton of resources, and confused which ones to use as the no 1 source, and what to use to supplement.

Studying Tintinalli well?

EMBASIC?

WikEM?

Lifeinthefastlane?

CDEM manual ?

EMRAP?

Chief Complaints app.

Any advice regarding resources would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would focus on developing a chief complaint based differential specifically focused on ruling out life threats. This is a bit of a different mindset from other fields of medicine and takes a little getting used to as a medical student. Honing in on one or two sources is going to be better than spreading yourself thin with a bunch of them. EMRAP C3 (note-- not the main EMRAP podcast) is the highest quality podcast and perfect for medical students, but not quite comprehensive in its scope, though it's getting there. Tintinalli is going to be way too much to read cover to cover as a medical student. EM BASIC is fairly comprehensive if you stick with it and learn well from audio programs. CORE EM is also a good option. The CDEM M4 curriculum is also pretty solid. I got a lot out of the EMRA Basics of Emergency Medicine book/pamphlet (included in EMRA membership) as a study guide both on shift and afterwards.

As you can see, there's no definitive gold standard source. I would take a look through some of these, take a listen to some of the podcasts and see which you like and if they work for you as a learning tool. I would use the CDEM website or the EMRA Basics as a scaffolding for the top chief complaints you'll see in the ED, then read up more PRN using LITFL/WikiEM, a textbook, or other sources to flesh out your understanding and supplement with a good podcast if that works for you.

Reactions: 1 users
There seems to be a ton of resources, and confused which ones to use as the no 1 source, and what to use to supplement.

Studying Tintinalli well?

EMBASIC?

WikEM?

Lifeinthefastlane?

CDEM manual ?

EMRAP?

Chief Complaints app.

Any advice regarding resources would be much appreciated.

Definitely EMRAP C3. Love that podcast.

Another one that was useful to me was EM Clerkship - Emergency Medicine for Students. They were short, 10-15 minute podcasts by a former 3rd year EM resident that was intended for medical students.

Agreed with the above that Tintinalli's is way too much for a medical student. Watch videos on procedures (lac repairs, I&D, how to present). Have a solid base for differentials.

Apps: WikEM, EMRA Antibiotic Guide, MDCalc (PERC score, Well's Score, Canadian Head and Neck CT, NEXUS).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would also recommend this app called QuickEM. really good resource, especially in the beginning, for common chief complaints and the life threatening stuff you worry about.

Also some unsolicited advice when you start working in the ED and presenting. Your attending often do want to teach you, but you got to be quick about learning when to shorten your presentation and when to go into the gritty details. i.e survey the situation if your resident and attending have to get ready for a trauma thats coming in that isn't the time to go into detail about treatment of a person's gout just let them know the patient is stable and what you likely think is going on and give them more details after that trauma is done and actually go help out! always ask how you can help even if isnt your patient!

Also I've quickly learned in my EM rotations when you go see a patient as a med student its almost always 4 things to do: 1. make sure the patient isnt coding on you first, 2nd make sure to think of life threatening diagnosis when getting history and physical, 3rd if the above two aren't applicable then its more likely a benign thing that is gonna need some basic labs +/- imaging to support it. and finally 4th when presenting I've been taught present what its most likely first and, if you dont think its a life threatening diagnosis, talk about why you think it isn't. hope that helps, just wanted to pass on to my fellow upcoming colleagues what I was taught as I venture off to interviews. good luck.

If you are trying to get into EM, then I suggest forking over the money for Pepid EM on your smartphone. Before presenting to your attending or resident, sneak a quick peek at Pepid so you can come up with a reasonable plan. I think you might get a trial version or student discount for Pepid.

If you are not trying to get into EM or if Pepid is prohibitively expensive, then just go with the free WikiEM app or something like that. I think it sucks compared to Pepid, but it's free.

So, identify the chief complaint, look it up in your resource real quick, best if done surreptitiously and no more than a 30 second to one minute glance. Also, whatever resource you choose, it has to be something high-yield, meant for bedside point of care, and in bullet form. Something like Uptodate will not work.

I personally think EM basic or EMRAP C3 are good for the audio listener.

I typically refer all students to the CDEM M3/M4 curriculum, I think its pretty solid if you want a web based curriculum to go through.

Attached is another resource that is a free PDF textbook. You may or may not find it useful, but its a free pdf textbook nonetheless that was just published last year.

Attachments

• Ottawas-Clerkship-Guide-to-Emergency-Medicine-First-Edition.pdf
    799.6 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: 1 users
Rosh review makes an EM clerkship Qbank for studying that is very helpful. Also I second CDEM, good place to start.

If you are trying to get into EM, then I suggest forking over the money for Pepid EM on your smartphone. Before presenting to your attending or resident, sneak a quick peek at Pepid so you can come up with a reasonable plan. I think you might get a trial version or student discount for Pepid.

If you are not trying to get into EM or if Pepid is prohibitively expensive, then just go with the free WikiEM app or something like that. I think it sucks compared to Pepid, but it's free.

So, identify the chief complaint, look it up in your resource real quick, best if done surreptitiously and no more than a 30 second to one minute glance. Also, whatever resource you choose, it has to be something high-yield, meant for bedside point of care, and in bullet form. Something like Uptodate will not work.
Thanks, were you talking of the EM clinical rotation companion or the EM suite, both from Pepid?

Thanks, were you talking of the EM clinical rotation companion or the EM suite, both from Pepid?

EM suite... Don't know the EM clinical rotation.