UIC - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received the general email about the peer advising program - but not from my designated advisor...

Members don't see this ad.

I received the email about the peer advising program and also one that includes the biographies (with pictures) of the advisors but none from my advisor.

just checked my email.. and same thing....got the general email with the bios.... waiting patiently.......

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess my peer advisor was a little bit "fast" then. I was just looking to see if other people have seen their peer advisors too or if my peer advisor is your peer advisor so that i can try to pinpoint you during the orientation. Nevertheless, looking forward to seeing you on the 21th.

Has anyone been on pharmcas lately? i went there yesterday and i tell you, i have never been more appreciative of my admission than when i saw the whole drill again, how it has already started and would not end till next year. How much money (total) i spent on the last one. Nothing against those that did not get in but i just can't help but say "thank you GOD!!!" I do wish those in the process now all the best and that they are in my prayers.

I totally agree with you about the relief of getting in and being SO thankful that I don't have to reapply. It finally feels real. I can't believe it's June already actually and our orientation is in about two weeks..can't wait!

I remember starting the whole process last summer, it seemed like such a long journey..... now we're here. congrats to everyone.

I have received the financial aid package guys. They projected the total damages to $40,654 for the year because am an out of state and my EFC is 6,677. They have already set up loans for me, i only have to accept it. I love this school! Anyone else got the package?

Hey Everyone. I received the emails about Peer Advising, but none from my specific adviser. I did get my Financial Aid package in the mail today. =) Does anyone know if there's a max? I already have $45K in loan from my Master's. I think I read somewhere that if you're in a professional school, the max is a little higher than other graduate programs.

I am taking out more in unsubsidized rather than subsidized loans. I'm assuming it's because of my EFC, which was about $6000. By next year, my EFC should be a lot less - which means more subsidized loans instead of unsubsidized. Hopefully.

I can't believe orientation is so soon!

And I'm very thankful we don't have to go through PharmCAS again. But best wishes to everyone else applying. =)

I got the package too. Same results as the above.... I'm just wondering how in heaven's name to survive with 10,000 for housing and 2000 for personal expenses..... Chicago's expensive!!!

Praying that they give us family housing, as I'm bringing my seven year old daughter....

Don't forget by this time next year we can also have lots of scholarship money waiting for us...depending on how good we do the first year....

Anybody get their registration packet from Admissions? I called today and they told me we would be doing all of that at Orientation....

You don't receive any more than $8500 per year in subsidized loans because of federal regulations.
I wouldn't bet on lots of scholarship money. Most scholarships are for upperclassman and most are worth under $1000.

great...

anyone thought of joining the air force?

I haven't gotten any financial aid information - did you guys do anything besides submit your FAFSA?

Genesis - should this info be online (I didn't see anything in the Enterprise system either)?

thanks

anyone looking for a roomie here.. im looking into getting an apt somewhere by the college of pharmacy.. i wonder if they will have something like this for people wanting to live on campus at the orientation..

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten any financial aid information - did you guys do anything besides submit your FAFSA?

Genesis - should this info be online (I didn't see anything in the Enterprise system either)?

thanks
It should be, but it is not. At UIC all you need to do is to submit your FAFSA.

thanks

yeah, maybe you should call them. I just filled out my fafsa after i was accepted and it was the only only thing i did.

anyone on here who didnt have immunization records? I know I got measles, rubella and all those done when i was a kid but i was raised in the middle east..hence dont have access to my doctors and records.. how did u guys deal with that?

anyone on here who didnt have immunization records? I know I got measles, rubella and all those done when i was a kid but i was raised in the middle east..hence dont have access to my doctors and records.. how did u guys deal with that?

Do you have the records from college or high school? Maybe you can get them that way (?)

For mine, I had titers done that showed immunity (measles, mumps, rubella).... I had my history for tetanus and polio, along with a tetanus booster.

Also had a TB test done of course....

I think if you have titers done showing immunity you don't need your childhood dates of immunization.

Do you have the records from college or high school? Maybe you can get them that way (?)

For mine, I had titers done that showed immunity (measles, mumps, rubella).... I had my history for tetanus and polio, along with a tetanus booster.

Also had a TB test done of course....

I think if you have titers done showing immunity you don't need your childhood dates of immunization.

but its cheaper to get the shots taken again than getting the titers done here in MD. Does anyone knows if a person starts the series (MMR, Hep B etc)again it would disqualify u from entering the program?

do we need to take this info with us to orientation? I was under the impression that this info would be necessary when we start doing our rotations in our fourth year....

The Office of Admissions sent a separate packet. Of which a form to be filled out by the doctor was included. It is for the Medical Immunization Records office. So although I think we have to keep a running record for our own purposes, we have to submit something to the MIR office, as well. I think we had 2 weeks from the day we received the forms. Through the form from the school, I found we also have to get the Polio vaccine. If you haven't already.

There are little details that are confusing. For instance, for tetanus - they want us to have 3 dates. But I only got the shot twice so far, and I'm still immune - and will be until 2013.

I just submitted everything I could, and will wait back to hear from them.

still haven't received the packet from Admissions. Have called them several times and they told me it should have been in the mail. Then I called Student Affairs and they told me not to worry about it. Anyone else going through similar circumstances?

still haven't received the packet from Admissions. Have called them several times and they told me it should have been in the mail. Then I called Student Affairs and they told me not to worry about it. Anyone else going through similar circumstances?

I received that packet, but I haven't gotten anything from financial aid.... which is weird because I live in the same zipcode as UIC and it sounds like a lot of you have received your fin. aid decisions a few days ago. I submitted my FAFSA in April and I know I put the UIC code down.
Hopefully after orientation some of this confusion will go away.

I did the best I could with my immunization form... I think that's covered (it is confusing what's required, how many dates needed, etc). It's funny because my doctor filled it out with his chicken scratch handwriting, and it was a mess and hard to read. oh well. we'll see what happens.

do we need to take this info with us to orientation? I was under the impression that this info would be necessary when we start doing our rotations in our fourth year....

The immunization form that the office of admissions sent out is required for all UIC students. We need to have that in as soon as you can. There will be a pre-addressed envelope to send it in in the packet you get from admissions.

The other form they gave us at our interview - which included the hepatitis B requirements - is separate and I think that's the record that's specific for the pharmacy program.

I'm confused as to when the immunization forms have to be submitted to the college. In the admissions package, it said 4 weeks from the date we received the letter but when I called Medical Immunization Records, they said that we have all of Fall 2007 to submit it before our Spring 2008 registration is put on hold. Anybody have more info on this?

With the UIC immunization requirements, they say 4 weeks just to get you moving. In reality, you have until mid fall semester to complete. If you don't complete, they'll place a hold on your spring registration.

On the financial aid award letter - Can anyone give me a breakdown of the budget they list out?..... I'm still waiting for my letter and I'm very curious (and want to figure out how I'm going to live off my loan money this year)
Thanks!

On the financial aid award letter - Can anyone give me a breakdown of the budget they list out?..... I'm still waiting for my letter and I'm very curious (and want to figure out how I'm going to live off my loan money this year)
Thanks!

Its exactly like genesis listed it on page 2 except if you are out-of-state, change the tuition to $23,232.

anybody familiar with the following neighborhoods?

Logan Square
Humboldt Park
Avendale

Thanks!!!

Do you guys know which of the courses listed in the Doctor of Pharmacy Curriculum correspond to Biochemistry?

Thanks!

So are you guys excited about Orientation? I'm so sick of my job - I can't wait for school to start. I know I should just be enjoying the summer before school - but I'm pretty anxious. Anyone else feel the same (?)

So are you guys excited about Orientation? I'm so sick of my job - I can't wait for school to start. I know I should just be enjoying the summer before school - but I'm pretty anxious. Anyone else feel the same (?)

Im excited about orientation.. i just have to figure out living situations and my immunizations soon this summer too.. I was wondering about the business casual dress code they mention.. does this mean neutral colors too? are bright colors a no no?

who is going to wear a tie?

For those of you who got accepted to UIC can I ask your STATS please? GPA,PCAT and EC? I am applying for next year and kind of want to know if I am wasting my time or what! :) Thank you

I'm not wearing a tie - just khaki pants and a shirt - short-sleeve (it's been hot and humid here).

How was the orientation guys? Has anyone decided on where they are going to be staying? For any one that is from out of state, when do you plan to move finally to chicago in readiness for Aug 27. I am leaning towards Aug 6 because of the pharmacy calculation preview that starts on Aug 7. Is anyone here going to be there for the preview?

Orientation was pretty good..... but the tour I got was a mess! Oh well.

Oh, and what are we supposed to do about the Hep B requirement? I'm pretty sure most people won't have that completed by the 10th day of classes. I know I won't. They really should have told us sooner. At my interview I was told the second shot just had to be done sometime in November........

I have to work so I can't go to the pharmacy calculation classes. Again - I wish they had said something sooner about that....

How was the orientation guys? Has anyone decided on where they are going to be staying? For any one that is from out of state, when do you plan to move finally to chicago in readiness for Aug 27. I am leaning towards Aug 6 because of the pharmacy calculation preview that starts on Aug 7. Is anyone here going to be there for the preview?

I'm moving August 1st or so because of the calculations review class too. Looking at living in Lincoln Square, which is kind of far from UIC but is in a better neighborhood.

We should really meet each other in person when school starts. Don't you guys think?

They didn't have calculations review back in my day. P-1 calculations are really, really easy. As long as you feel solid on proportions and algebra, you'll have no problems.

orientation was decent but i was super late i got there at 1pm when it was suppoesed to start at 1030 skrew it all orientations are the same they say some bs then they walk u around are all u guys or gals gunna take the pre-calc coarse? im not. i hope ill b ok. also, where is every one gunna live? iv been looking at apts close by and in bucktown myself.

They didn't have calculations review back in my day. P-1 calculations are really, really easy. As long as you feel solid on proportions and algebra, you'll have no problems.

so I wonder why they have four whole classes devoted to this before school starts....? I mean, we all have to be pretty good at math already, I would think.

Genesis - How is the Survey of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology elective? It's only a one hour class so I assume it's not too much work (?)

We should really meet each other in person when school starts. Don't you guys think?

I'd be up for that - at orientation I was honestly wondering if I saw anyone from this message board.

so I wonder why they have four whole classes devoted to this before school starts....? I mean, we all have to be pretty good at math already, I would think.

Genesis - How is the Survey of Basic and Clinical Pharmacology elective? It's only a one hour class so I assume it's not too much work (?)

It's fairly easy. All you have are two midterms: one on week 8 or so and one during finals week. For the second midterm, it took me 15 minutes to complete. I aced it. Take electives as P-1, it is a lot easier than P-2 year.

It's fairly easy. All you have are two midterms: one on week 8 or so and one during finals week. For the second midterm, it took me 15 minutes to complete. I aced it. Take electives as P-1, it is a lot easier than P-2 year.

Genesis, is it better to take the afternoon labs or the lab friday morning? Do they have a lot of exams on fridays or are htey spread out throughout the week, currently i am signed up for group three, where you have one lab wednesday afternoons and one thursday.. would that be ok?

presently there's only one elective for the next semester. Do u think they would provide more for the spring semester.

Also this isnt relevant but due to constant argument with someone i know on this site genesis are u male or female