UIC - Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwannabpharmer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes!!!!! Let's start this roll call! :D

I'm still in shock. And I cried when I was telling my Dad. Three years of waiting are over! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I started crying too! I ran to tell my mom and we both burst into tears!
I still cant believe i.. im just so happy.. i just cant believe that the waiting and nervousness is all over.. im gonna have the best summer ever! :love:

Whos thinking of living there? I live in the suburbs with my parents and dont know if I want to move or not..

Count me in! Congratulation to everyone that got accepted! I guess UIC got it right this year!:D WHOO HOO!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in, See u in the fall guys.

Cant wait.......Hmm i think i can wait now, i was driving when my girlfriend told me and i almost had a crash. An she was in tears. I'm so psyched right now

I still cant believe it. Greatest news yet this year

Count me in. I wasn't even expecting the mail today and it was quite a nice surprise.

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know what on campus or off campus housing is like?

I was accepted as well. See you all in the Fall!

Count me in as well! I was ecstatic when i found out the great news!

Hi everyone -
I'm really really excited to be starting school with you all in the fall. I can't wait.

Has everyone done their FAFSA? Of course, now I'm starting to think about the logistics - financial aid mostly.

My EFC was like 20,000 dollars! I couldn't believe it. I assume it doesn't matter and I'll be taking the whole thing out in loans anyway....

Hi everyone -
I'm really really excited to be starting school with you all in the fall. I can't wait.

Has everyone done their FAFSA? Of course, now I'm starting to think about the logistics - financial aid mostly.

My EFC was like 20,000 dollars! I couldn't believe it. I assume it doesn't matter and I'll be taking the whole thing out in loans anyway....

Hello, fellow classmate. :D I started my FAFSA, but I found that I was required to provide my parent information. I got to a point where it said I am an independent student (and have been for a few years now), but because the program we are going into is a health professional program, we are required to provide parent information. Did you get the same thing?

The EFC thing is confusing for me. Wow, yours was high. Did you work full-time this past year? I am leaving a job that paid 37K gross, but since I will be leaving in the middle of the year - I guess that gets cut in half. :) But I wouldn't worry about the EFC because the govt knows since we'll be full-tiime students our cash flow would be in the red.

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to live. :)

For financial aid, UIC considers pharmacy students to be independent, and so, you don't have to include your parent's financial information.

Hello, fellow classmate. :D I started my FAFSA, but I found that I was required to provide my parent information. I got to a point where it said I am an independent student (and have been for a few years now), but because the program we are going into is a health professional program, we are required to provide parent information. Did you get the same thing?

The EFC thing is confusing for me. Wow, yours was high. Did you work full-time this past year? I am leaving a job that paid 37K gross, but since I will be leaving in the middle of the year - I guess that gets cut in half. :) But I wouldn't worry about the EFC because the govt knows since we'll be full-tiime students our cash flow would be in the red.

Right now I'm trying to figure out where to live. :)

Yah, I've been out of school for awhile, so I did work full-time last year and currently work full-time. I was just shocked by that EFC number - oh well.
I ended up not putting my parents' information in my FAFSA. I luckily don't have to think about where to live - will be staying put where I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys know anything about on campus housing? Is it just as cheap to live around the school? Is the neighborhood kind of shady?

You guys know anything about on campus housing? Is it just as cheap to live around the school? Is the neighborhood kind of shady?

Not that cheap, the near west side is yuppifying at a quickening rate. Single bedroom apartments start at about $800 per month and two bedrooms start at about $1000. The cheapest area is west of Damen and east of Western. You can find some true deals there, but do not go west of Western. That is where the ghetto starts.
The UIC area is changing.
Campus housing, SSR, is okay. The rooms are simple, but utilities and now laundry are included. The rooms do tend to get warm, so bring a fan.

Soes anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get the Pharm tech license after the application has been sent in? Also i believe orientation is June 21st (am i right or wrong).

I'm also looking for where to stay right now and Genesis thanks for your help.

If other people ahve further information about living and stuff please post.

It may take a month or so to get your tech license? I know right now they're doing some system changes, so that might prolong it. I'm trying to get my license renewed, and my employer sent it in for all of us on our team, but it still hasn't been updated. I'm getting a little nervous, but I heard that it's because of the system upgrades (at the IL Dept of Professional Regulation).

I'd say send it in ASAP, if you haven't done so already. You need a copy of your HS transcript, application, the fee, etc. If you work for a pharmacy (i.e. Walgreen's), they usually pay for your license. Or will reimburse you. Before you send in your application, make sure to photocopy everything (including the check/money order you send), just in case. And it may not hurt to certify the application at the USPS, just to show when you sent it - in case you need that kind of proof later.

And yes, I remember Ms. Fleming saying that the orientation is on June 21st.

Yah, I've been out of school for awhile, so I did work full-time last year and currently work full-time. I was just shocked by that EFC number - oh well.
I ended up not putting my parents' information in my FAFSA. I luckily don't have to think about where to live - will be staying put where I am.

I was reading the UIC Financial Aid info. If you want to be considered for the Health Professionals Student Loan, they need our parents' information, if it's available. I wonder if this is a firm rule or not? I'm curious as to how much housing costs. Dorming vs. apartments.

Hey -
Yes. If you think you might be eligible for the Health Professions Student Loan I would put your parents' information in your FAFSA. For me, I was just assuming I wouldn't be eligible and really didn't want to bother with my parents' information. Plus with my stupidly high EFC (there's no way I can afford to pay $20,000 for school) I don't think I'm eligible for that loan.

I just got my tech license. I actually got it quicker than I thought I would. It took several weeks to arrive, but I was expecting worse. I would definitely just send in the application now. It was really easy. The hardest part was finding my high school diploma! (buried in my closet).

As far as living situations...I don't know a whole lot about the area right around the UIC campus. I have lived just north of that area for about three years now. Before that I lived in Hyde Park on the south side, Lakeview and Edgewater - all in Chicago. I currently live in the West Town/Ukrainian Village neighborhood around Chicago and Damen. I will have to take the Damen bus down to school every day but it will be a pretty quick ride. It's a nice area - not as nice as Wicker Park or Bucktown, which are just north of where I am - but it is getting better and better - gentrifying to a certain degree. On my interview day, during the panel student Q & A, they said that some students live in Lakeview/Wrigleyville. I can see that, because it is a fun area with a ton of bars and things to do - but that's kinda far from UIC and really there's no direct route to school on public transportation. You'd have to take the red line and transfer to the blue line (or transfer on buses - and that would probably take longer).

Genesis - if someone lives in the dorms - are you put with just any other random student (not necessarily a pharmacy student)?

First, UIC pharmacy is right next to a Pink Line Stop, Polk St.
For housing, they will try to put you with another pharmacy student, but sometimes, it is just not possible. You are always allowed to select a roommate on the form.
For the IL tech license, they will post your name online normally fairly quickly, and you can use that temporarily. You will receive the paper license within 1-2 months. The licensing laws will probably change by the end of this year. They are going to add a Pharmacy Intern license. More information will be provided as it develops. Historically, you have not needed the tech license until the Spring semester, but with this change in experiential curriculum, I don't know when you'll need it.
If you have issues with financial aid, go to the office and ask.
These are the proposed housing rates for SSR for 2007/08.
Single Student Residence
11 month contracts / Floors 14–15 (Room only, no meal plan)
(2 person apartment) $8,402
(3 person apartment) $8,164
(4 person apartment) $8,204
(2/3 person suite) $7,100
9 month contracts/ Floors 3–13&16
(2 person apartment) $6,818
(3 person apartment) $6,682
(4 person apartment) $6,760
(2/3 person suite) $5,828
Family Housing Pilot Program,
SSR 5th Floor 9 or 12 month contracts at various room rates.
These fees include laundry and utilities.

I live in the Lakeview area right by Hamlin Park. My commute would be about 20min on the Ashland express bus (X9). If people are super concerned about rent, they might think about checking out the Pilsen area. My husband and I looked there when we found this apartment. The rent is $200-$300 cheaper/month than right by UIC (where my husband lived before) or up here in Lakeview. The only reason we chose to live here is the commute for a previous job was alot easier. Pilsen or East Humboldt Park are both up and coming neighborhoods where crime is dropping, but rent hasn't spiked yet. They are also both easy commutes to the medical district. Just something to consider....we're thinking about moving to one of these neighborhoods before school starts.

How should one begin the search? Newspaper? I looked a little on Craigslist. rx22, i'd say move to the city. =) I was debating what to do, too, and thought about all the money I could save if I commute from home... but this may be the last time I can live in the city as a student and enjoy the culture, etc. (Those are my thoughts.)

How should one begin the search? Newspaper? I looked a little on Craigslist. rx22, i'd say move to the city. =) I was debating what to do, too, and thought about all the money I could save if I commute from home... but this may be the last time I can live in the city as a student and enjoy the culture, etc. (Those are my thoughts.)

If you're from out-of-town, I'd look on craigslist first just to get an idea of areas and rent. I'll try to find a website I know of that allows you to input an address and shows crimes commited in the last month. When I find it, I'll put it up here. If you're nervous about doing the housing search yourself, there are lots of free apartment finding services here in the city, just google it. The landlords pay to have their apartments listed with the service and the people there take down your information (# of bedrooms, desired amenities, rent range, etc.) and then drive you around to look at apartments. People I know have had varying success with this. Some have had great experiences and others have had a horrible time. You can always post an address here and ask us natives what the area and commute would be like. :)

Thanks chitownpharm, that woukd be really nice. Most especially us from out of state. I am from state of maryland and i guess everyone know that i have to even cross a time zone to get to chicago. I would like to commute, find good neighborhood and at the same time good deals. it has not been pretty but am still searching and i will definitely put any place of interest out so that you natives can help me out. Thanks again

Hey - You can try the Apartment People. I've used them several times and had a good experience. They do drive you around like chitownpharm was saying. Here's their website:

http://www.apartmentpeople.com

They let you search by neighborhood, there are city and neighborhood maps on the site, and it also lets you search by proximity to schools (UIC included).

One other option is the Chicago Reader - which is a free newspaper here. You can search for apts on their website as well, but for those you'd have to set up appts usually for each apt and go look at them yourself.
http://www.chicagoreader.com/

There are other apt services but those are the ones I thought of right away. I hope this helps.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I can't wait to start school with you guys in the fall! For anybody who's thinking of living in SSR, are you waiting to send in your housing forms until you get your university ID# and NetID in the mail? Or are you sending it in right away?

rx22, i'd say move to the city. =) I was debating what to do, too, and thought about all the money I could save if I commute from home... but this may be the last time I can live in the city as a student and enjoy the culture, etc. (Those are my thoughts.)

exactly my thoughts.. i am not married or have kids where i would need to think about family..and this is my last chance to be a students and just enjoy life along with going to school.. i just dont know if i wanna live in SSR for the first semester till i know someone or get a place right off the bat..

You can apply for housing without an UIN. However, you cannot live in SSR for only a semester. If you come and then cancel for the spring, they will hit out with a fine. You will have to pay 75% of the spring semester housing fee.

Once you get your Net ID, you can look at the UIC off campus housing listing online.

Thanks genesis! I didnt know ssr was for the whole year.. I lived in the dorms in UIC my first two years of undergrad and somehow thought SSR could be on semester basis.. I am looking at listings right now coz not only do I need to find a place but also a roomie!

If I were to live in apts, and need to drive to school once in awhile, is there a place we could park? I live in the 'burbs, but I am planning on moving to Chicago, but would like the flexibility to drive to class, if need be. Or if I need to study on-campus until late evening.

Congrats to everyone who got in! I can't wait to start school with you guys in the fall! For anybody who's thinking of living in SSR, are you waiting to send in your housing forms until you get your university ID# and NetID in the mail? Or are you sending it in right away?

i sent mine in right away.... do you have any idea when we might get the university id's in the mail?

Hey has anyone started getting their immunizations/TB test yet? It looks like we just have to attach the results to the form they gave us at the interview and sign the form...?

Genesis - Will they be giving us more information on this part of our matriculation requirements? Thanks again!

If I were to live in apts, and need to drive to school once in awhile, is there a place we could park? I live in the 'burbs, but I am planning on moving to Chicago, but would like the flexibility to drive to class, if need be. Or if I need to study on-campus until late evening.

In my experience, the parking situation varies greatly depending on where you live. Some apts have parking spaces, for others you have to park on the street. In some areas this can be difficult. I'm not sure if you're referring to UIC apts or any apt in the city? I currently park on the street where I live and it's not a problem. When I lived in Lakeview, I had to pay $125/month for a parking spot - so it just depends.

If you're asking about UIC apts - I'm not sure.

In May, they will e-mail more information out. They wait until the class has settled before sending out more information.
The immunization form you probably have is the UIC form. Just fill it out and mail it into the immunization office. If you don't do this, you will have a hold on registering for the spring semester.
UIC parking is about $250 per semester. UIC has plenty of parking. If you plan to park regularly, contact the parking office.

For the IL tech license, they will post your name online normally fairly quickly, and you can use that temporarily. .

Hey Genesis, do you know the address of the page where the name will be posted?

Hey everyone, how are you guys doing with your immunization. I have completed every shot before applying to pharmacy school but now am just looking for where to get the titers. Anyway, see you all on June 21st.

Hey Genesis, do you know the address of the page where the name will be posted?

Hey everyone, how are you guys doing with your immunization. I have completed every shot before applying to pharmacy school but now am just looking for where to get the titers. Anyway, see you all on June 21st.

Historically, you have not had to get your titers done until P-3 year.

https://www.idfpr.com/dpr/licenselookup/default.asp is where you do the license look-up

I think you can get titers done at any health clinic, but I just got mine at my school's health place. I won't finish my HepB sequence/titer by the time school starts though, but I don't think I need it completed until spring semester, right?

Also, has anybody filled out financial aid yet? Do we just fill out FAFSA, or are there more forms online to fill out? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

I had my titers done this week - they show I need to get the Hep B series. Since it takes six months to get that done, mine won't be finished before school starts either. I think we're ok though.... pretty sure it doesn't have to be done until spring semester starts (?)

I had the TB test and tetanus shot this week too.... and my arm is SO sore from that tetanus shot.

I'm confused though - will the doctor have to fill any form out? the sheets they gave us at the interview only had a place for us to sign.

Hey MPBenJ, when last did u have the hep.B shot? Am just curious as per why your titer indicated that you have to get the hep.B series. I finished mine in 2004, i hope its still good.

Hey MPBenJ, when last did u have the hep.B shot? Am just curious as per why your titer indicated that you have to get the hep.B series. I finished mine in 2004, i hope its still good.

Hey - I'm honestly not sure. I know it was at least 8 years ago that I had it done last. It might have been longer..... 8 - 10 years ago.

Found this on the CDC website:
"Recent studies indicate that immunologic memory remains intact for at least 23 years and confers protection against clinical illness and chronic HBV infection, even though anti-HBs levels might become low or decline below detectable levels."

But, our sheet says we have to provide antibody or antigen titers proving immunity. My tests for Hepatitis B Surface Antibody and Surface Antigen were both both nonreactive....

Yours might still show an antibody titer since it was pretty recent.

Thanks. I will go and do it on monday. Hopefully, i would still be immuned.

Any of you guys familiar with the study of pharmacogenomics at UIC?

Any of you guys familiar with the study of pharmacogenomics at UIC?

Some profs are doing research in that area. Also, you can take an elective in Pharmacogenomics: BPS 555. It is considered to be the hardest elective.

Does anyone know when we will get information on financial aid/when we start that process at UIC? I want to know how much money I'm going to have during the school year. :eek:

You have to wait until the tuition is set before financial aid will send out award letters. In terms of the order in which they mail letters, pharmacy students are towards the bottom. This link has the default amounts for this year, it's on page 10: http://www.vcsa.uic.edu/NR/rdonlyre...C9562360526/1105/0708GraduateStudentGuide.pdf

The Dean issue has finally been resolved. Dr. Bauman has been asked to continue on as Dean, and he has accepted.

Thanks Genesis....
So they determine our amts based just on the FAFSA? Or, is there a separate financial aid application we will have to fill out?

How will we know if they've received our FAFSA?

Thanks again for your help!

the only confirmation i got was from the u.s. govt - and i received my SAR. that's a good question about how much money we will receive. i know they figure things like expenses (i.e. utilities, groceries, textbooks), as well as living expenses for rent, etc.

good thing that the total amount they allow for professional students is a little higher. =)

i'm also still searching for apts. has anyone heard of atrium village? located at division & wells? i know it's a little far - approx 5 miles, but it looks pretty good. and they incl free heat! =) does anyone know of other subsidized housing for full-time students?

also, for any current UIC pharm students. is there anything in particular you would advise incoming students to invest in for school? any piece of advice you would like to impart on us? i know some students carry around PDAs, but i'm thinking that's not necessary until we start rotations. i'm also planning on buying a macbook pro. i've wanted one for the longest time, and i told myself i'd get it if i got into school this fall.

thanks again, everyone. and by the way, what's with the chgo weather? ;-)

No one carries around computers. For P-1 year, you'll need Pharmaceutical Calculations by Ansel.
UIC will just use the FAFSA. They add in about 10K for living expenses.
There is no such thing as subsidized student housing at UIC or any school in the Chicago area. There is housing on campus.

genesis09, thanks for all your help. =) 10K is for housing expenses plus other expenses? or is there more for just housing? sorry for asking again.

Hey - I do know someone that lives in Atrium Village. They really like it. It's a nice place. I've been in there, and the kitchen I saw looked really new. The building was also very clean.
I know the person that lives there would recommend it.

About that $10,000 - I have the same question because that doesn't seem like enough money if it's supposed to cover more than housing costs!