UIC class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
although it is best to have up to date scores in one packet, you can apply with the ones you have, then mail them the new scores as soon as you get them. In your case, in my opinion you should get a higher TOEFL first then go for part I, b/c part I prep will take longer

good luck

dentalbug

Members don't see this ad.

hi..can any1 pls guide me..i hav step 1 score of 87..and am giving step 2 in a month and a half..so, how should i apply to uic..right away wit styep 1 scores...and updae them wit step 2 scores later..or shd i giv them both scores together,..later....after 2 months...they hav started accepting applications....
pls advice...my toefl is 107...and i hav 6 yrs experience in india..

hi..can any1 pls guide me..i hav step 1 score of 87..and am giving step 2 in a month and a half..so, how should i apply to uic..right away wit styep 1 scores...and updae them wit step 2 scores later..or shd i giv them both scores together,..later....after 2 months...they hav started accepting applications....
pls advice...my toefl is 107...and i hav 6 yrs experience in india..
apply now and send them the scores when you have them;there's a chance that you'll have your score by the time you have your interview:)

Members don't see this ad :)
although it is best to have up to date scores in one packet, you can apply with the ones you have, then mail them the new scores as soon as you get them. In your case, in my opinion you should get a higher TOEFL first then go for part I, b/c part I prep will take longer

good luck

dentalbug
Any shortcut funda to get higher score in TOEFL.Plz help.

For TOEFL

Practice, Practice and more Practice - Speaking section, get a native speaker and practice the 6 sections, for listening watch CNN, CNBC, Discovery, etc. For essay practice writing and give some1 to check your work. Finally for the reading section you must try to do the practice test in the time provided - hence read efficiently enough to complete the exam. Take timed tests, you can go to your local library to get books by barrons, longman, arco, etc.

Good Luck

Dentalbug

thanx starry night....vl do that..it sounds like a gud idea...

hi,
I am studying at UIC. ( class of 2009). I am looking for some one to share and hunt for a 2 bed room apt (preferably Indian female), close to the school.
If anyone is interested,let me know.
See u guys in may

hi all
has any IDDP student received message to the UIC email([email protected]) about class or material registration?
and any news about the fafsa stuff ??

Syriana

No word on class registration, but I was informed by TJ that we will be getting letters on fafsa and loan qualification. I was able to get my netid so, as soon as we know we should be able to register for classes.

see you in may

dentalbug

hi..
is a score of 87 gud enough to secure admission at uic??please suggest....students who hav got admitted for 2008..anyone wit score of 87...new pattern...i vl be giving part 2 also...
is anyone rejected wit this score???bcoz, im planning to apply only at uic bcoz of family issues...
any help wud be appreciated...

hi..
is a score of 87 gud enough to secure admission at uic??please suggest....students who hav got admitted for 2008..anyone wit score of 87...new pattern...i vl be giving part 2 also...
is anyone rejected wit this score???bcoz, im planning to apply only at uic bcoz of family issues...
any help wud be appreciated...

It is VERY hard to answer the above question, because every dental school usually looks at the whole application & concentrates on different stats (ie part I, TOEFL, GPA, etc). In MY opinion (NOT that of any college or UIC), UIC in particular usually likes candidates with atleast part I 87+, Part II is recommended, TOEFL 97+ and decent GPA. They definitely want students that have interest in their program, prefer IL residents, but not a MUST, dental assistant or DH experience is very very good idea (shows interest in dentistry), A SOP that explains your interest in dentistry, CHi-town, and UIC, also being a re-applicant is a PLUS, finally you must have a GC or US citizenship to apply and rest is up to you and your luck.

Hope this helps & Good Luck

Dentalbug

hi..
thanx dentalbug..im a resident of chicago...wit a pr...but im giving part 2 in a month and vl apply to uic...thanx for ur opinion....

Hey

Any replys for FAFSA or loans from the UIC financial office? anyone?

Dentalbug

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

Any replys for FAFSA or loans from the UIC financial office? anyone?

Dentalbug

nothing here yet!!
lets hop to receive something in mid may.
have you guys received email from UIC about the required vaccines?
there is no way to get the report ready by the class starting date. and what if you don't have health insurance(like me):):)??!!! it could cost more than 600$ :eek:!!
can we wait until we get covered by the school's health insurance?
or it has to be ready before that?

nothing here yet!!
there is no way to get the report ready by the class starting date. and what if you don't have health insurance(like me):):)??!!! it could cost more than 600$ :eek:!!

I dont know if you can wait, because the letter states that you need the forms filled and done before you can register for classes, just email and ask them the same questions, I hope it works out for you

Goodluck

Dentalbug

nothing here yet!!

I went today to the doctor for the vaccines. I took with me a copy of the medical records that I needed for immigration (green card) . The doctor accepted it and I do not need to do again all these vaccines.
Only problem is with hepatitis B vaccine. My insurance does not cover this vaccine at all and the cost is 97 $ (the pharmacy price,and we need to buy three of them) .
You should have the green card too . Maybe you can do the same thing at the Medical District at UIC and during general inspection they will fill you the first part of the immunization record.

I went today to the doctor for the vaccines. I took with me a copy of the medical records that I needed for immigration (green card) . The doctor accepted it and I do not need to do again all these vaccines.
Only problem is with hepatitis B vaccine. My insurance does not cover this vaccine at all and the cost is 97 $ (the pharmacy price,and we need to buy three of them) .
You should have the green card too . Maybe you can do the same thing at the Medical District at UIC and during general inspection they will fill you the first part of the immunization record.

My husband is a Pharmacist, I will have him check the price for you and let you know where the cheapest hep b vaccine is available.

Dentalbug

My husband is a Pharmacist, I will have him check the price for you and let you know where the cheapest hep b vaccine is available.

Dentalbug

thank you very much

thank you very much

For hep B shots, my husband says, if you buy them at the pharmacy it will be expensive. The cheapest place to get the shot is Local Health Dept. He says, our local health dept. does it for about $80 for the 3 shots ( at day 0, 30 and 6mo).

Good luck

Dentalbug

For hep B shots, my husband says, if you buy them at the pharmacy it will be expensive. The cheapest place to get the shot is Local Health Dept. He says, our local health dept. does it for about $80 for the 3 shots ( at day 0, 30 and 6mo).

Good luck

Dentalbug

thank you very much

hi all,
congratulations...
can any1 help me.....
i am preparing all the required documents to apply uic this year.
i did b d s in india in 2005 . i got recommendation letters when i completed my course. can i apply with this or should i need to get latest one(atleast within one year)
i have great confusion on sop. can i start how my interest in dentistry began and what r all i accomplished or can i start directly with how i developed interest in iddp as well as uic and my plans after my completion of iddp.. what would be the best way....
pls help me....

Does anyone know if the application for admission next year has to be completed by the deadline of August 1 or if you can submit the basic application by then and provide the additional documents later(like TOEFL scores, SOP, recommendation letters etc)?

hi..i guess.toefl scores..need to be given along wit ur application packet..but best wud be to call them up and ask them for sure....
al the best...

hi all,
congratulations...
can any1 help me.....
i did b d s in india in 2005 . i got recommendation letters when i completed my course. can i apply with this or should i need to get latest one(atleast within one year)
i have great confusion on sop. can i start how my interest in dentistry began and what r all i accomplished or can i start directly with how i developed interest in iddp as well as uic and my plans after my completion of iddp.. what would be the best way....
pls help me....
hi...i graduated long bak in 2002..and last year, i went and got letters from the dental college
1)..deans letter of recommendation...its needed..if u hav that..already then it should be fine...
2), recc letter from a professor from ur college...
3)transcripts of all the 4 years -we did not get all these wen i graduated..so i had to go get them again...if u hv all these things..u shd be gud to go..
me too struggling wit eat to fill out in the st of purpose..
any inputs anyone?

thanks docsmily...
what do they mean by transcripts.... all 4 years marksheets copy should be notorized ?
i got one from my college in which they included semester hours , marks , and subjects in one form in addition to that copies of degree cretificate, crri completion and indian dental council cretificate . all r signed by principal...
pls help me with this...
i worked 2 years in india, got one reco letter from that doctor.. i can get one from dean. r these 2 enough? because they ask 2. can we send extra one from professor.....?i or it should be only 2 ??
how is part 2 plan going on??

hi..transcripts r the no of hours worked etc..which u have..i guess..u hav everything...but..still go to uic website and confirm abt recc letters....

Does anyone know if the application for admission next year has to be completed by the deadline of August 1 or if you can submit the basic application by then and provide the additional documents later(like TOEFL scores, SOP, recommendation letters etc)?

read this http://dentistry.uic.edu/depts/admissions/iddp/docs/IDDPChecklist2009.pdf
..you need all your application items sent together

hi all,
congratulations...
can any1 help me.....
pls help me....

i had my reccom letters "less than 1 y old", but i couldn't find on the UIC website to ask for it..to be sure, call Jill Hofmeister or write her and ask...
about the SOP..google it and read some samples..you can find some on this forum too...i said in a short paragraph why dentistry in general...

good luck!

thanks docsmily...
what do they mean by transcripts.... all 4 years marksheets copy should be notorized ?
i got one from my college in which they included semester hours , marks , and subjects in one form in addition to that copies of degree cretificate, crri completion and indian dental council cretificate . all r signed by principal...
pls help me with this...
i worked 2 years in india, got one reco letter from that doctor.. i can get one from dean. r these 2 enough? because they ask 2. can we send extra one from professor.....?i or it should be only 2 ??
how is part 2 plan going on??

they ask 2 recomm. letters..send them only 2;)
if you can get one from a US dentist would be great

It is a good idea to get one of your foreign school's teachers/dean's letter and one from US dentist. Also FYI, it is best to send your application as soon as possible, preferably all documents in one packet. If you are missing (i.e. TOEFL scores) you can send them letter but you should try to put all in one packet. UIC is an excellent institution (good clinical experience) and people are very helpful and friendly. It is an honor to attend such great school, I wish you all the best for upcoming application process.

Goodluck

Dentalbug

hi..
can anyone tel me..if the year that we graduate from th foreign country determines admission into illinois university?is it that fresh graduates are preferred and the older u get..ur chances of being admitted go down?ive graduated in 2002 and am applying for 2009 cycle...
i was working as an associate dentist in india for 6 years...
an acquaintance told me that for medicos..illinois doesnot take people who graduated more than 5 years back...hope it isnt true for dental school admissions...please ..some one who knows can answer my query..am really tensed abt it...
thanks...

hi..
can anyone tel me..if the year that we graduate from th foreign country determines admission into illinois university?is it that fresh graduates are preferred and the older u get..ur chances of being admitted go down?ive graduated in 2002 and am applying for 2009 cycle...
i was working as an associate dentist in india for 6 years...
an acquaintance told me that for medicos..illinois doesnot take people who graduated more than 5 years back...hope it isnt true for dental school admissions...please ..some one who knows can answer my query..am really tensed abt it...
thanks...

hello,
don't worry, you'll be fine; as far as i know they prefer some experience; i graduated in 2000 and in the 2010 class there are people that graduated earlier than i did; good luck!

hi starrynight.
thanks soo much for ur quick reply....
i realli appreciate it..

hi docsmily,
did u send application materials to uic. ? do u ve any idea whether they started reviewing or not..... may i know from whom you got reco letters ..? from professor and dean ???

hi docsmily,
did u send application materials to uic. ? do u ve any idea whether they started reviewing or not..... may i know from whom you got reco letters ..? from professor and dean ???
hi..
i hav not yet sent application o uic..im waiting for my ece evaluation...and making st of purpose...
hav deans reccomendation, and private practitioner's letter...but they r atleast a year old..wen i came here..last year..
what about you?did you apply?

hi docsmily,
i ve not applied yet. i am gonna take toefl on may 3rd. i am planning to send around may 2nd week... my reco letter from dean is 2 yrs old. we sent mail to jill. but no reply from uic. i don know wat to do. now it s very tough to get reco letter from our dean.... do u ve any work experience here? i don ve any exposure to US dentistry.. i am also preparing sop.

hi..no i dnt hav any experience here in the usa..dnt feel like mixing alginate and holding suction now....;)
vl apply after my ece is done..and vl read for part 2..not really begun full fledged...

hi docsmily,
do u ve all required nbde part 2 materials ?may i know which year dental decks and what are all the other materials you have............

hidrsat..
i have bought those dvd 's for part 1 and 2..the dvd has 2007 decks, rudman's,atlas of opath, ada released papers and remembered questions...
i had bought it along wit part 1 dvd....

hello everybody:)
i have just received the papers from UIC regarding the loan for the summer semester;) check you mail
see you!

hello everybody:)
i have just received the papers from UIC regarding the loan for the summer semester;) check you mail
see you!

what is our expected date of graduation (month)? that is mentioned in the back of our award letter?

and what about the living expenses? r they included in this ammount?
as i know...the summer term alone costs about 18000.

what is our expected date of graduation (month)? that is mentioned in the back of our award letter?

and what about the living expenses? r they included in this ammount?
as i knsw...the summer term alone costs about 18000.

according to the uic website summer term(check on your account ) is 21600

according to the uic website summer term(check on your account ) is 21600

thanks
yes...thats what we'v got...but the summer tuition and fees r
16,646.00 + 966.00 as mentioned in uic site. this is the uic tuition and i was wondering about the living expenses..any information?

by the way...has anyone tried to register for the classes? i'v received email from uic about class registration....but i couldn't....something is wronge with the website!
have you faced the troubles when registration?

like drabc said, the sum is $21,600, but they don't say anything about how this money is distributed..i waived my medical insurance and that amount was $264 for summer semester;
about registration, i tried but they said that we can register for summer 2008 only from apr 28th to jun 20th...but this info i didn't get through the link they provided; i have it from the same website we can see our personal info/financial aid/..and so on....

Hi everyone :thumbup:,

Congrats to all of you, who got admission at UIC. I am from Chicago.I have interview and bench exam at NOVA , Florida on 25th and 26th. Please somebody help me to practice on manikin for once before 23rd of April in UIC.
If you are at school or if you know anyone in school, please help me.

Thanks in advance
acpt:mad:

Hi everyone :thumbup:,

Congrats to all of you, who got admission at UIC. I am from Chicago.I have interview and bench exam at NOVA , Florida on 25th and 26th. Please somebody help me to practice on manikin for once before 23rd of April in UIC.
If you are at school or if you know anyone in school, please help me.

Thanks in advance
acpt:mad:

hello there,
congrats, did i get right, you have an interview on 23? that's great!so early..
that's no bench exam at UIC, so relax, you'll be fine:)
good luck!

hello there,
congrats, did i get right, you have an interview on 23? that's great!so early..
that's no bench exam at UIC, so relax, you'll be fine:)
good luck!

Hi Starrynight,

Thanks, But little misunderstanding. I have interview in NOVA (NSU) on 25th and 26th of April. I don't have interview at UIC. I have to practice on manikin
for NOVA bench exam. I am from Chicago, so if possible i would like to practice at UIC on manikin before going to Florida.Please help me.

Thank You
acpt

upsssy, my bad:D...still, i don't think it's an easy thing what you have been asking; why don't you try and ask you dentist to help you with this matter?
good luck!

upsssy, my bad:D...still, i don't think it's an easy thing what you have been asking; why don't you try and ask you dentist to help you with this matter?
good luck!

Actually I am practicing on typodont. Exam is on manikin, so i want to practice on manikin before exam.Please need help.

Thanks
acpt :confused:

hello i have a question if anybody can help....i am collecting the doc to apply for uic......for toefl do we send the score reports directly to uic...in the toefl they always ask for the name of the institution that means we will send the score reports directly from toefl to uic......??????? or there is some other means...kindly help
thanks

as you said, you can have the score sent directly to UIC..if you don't want that, you can have the score sent to you, when you receive the letter, you leave it unopened and send it to UIC along with the rest docum you need for the applic...having sent the score direct to UIC is the easiest/shortest way..still if you're not sure about the result, it's better to have the score sent to you;
good luck!