UHSCOM Summer Reading List from Dean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

Wo1verine7DO

Hello everyone,
I just received a letter from UHS and it recommends buying a book/CD called Medical Terminology and a Self-evaluation CD...they say it cost $50.00. Do you know what this is for? Also, where do I buy it. I've never bought a medical textbook. Is it helpful?
Thanks,
Anthony

Members don't see this ad.

I got the same mailing today. I'm a little sketchy on which version they want us to buy, so I'm going to call the admissions office tomorrow and get the isbn. I checked out the publishers website and they have several versions, some with audio cassettes, some with cdroms, some with both. I'll fill you in tomorrow. Amazon has a copy with the text only, but you can buy all the versions from the publisher.

Thanks for the reply? Does the book cost 50.00 on the website? I'll search the internet again. I called UHS too and they sent me to a person named Don who is the director of education, but it was an answering machine.
Anthony

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can pick up any medical terminology book at your local bookstore for a lot less than $50. I don't believe we were asked to buy this book last summer. If you really want to do some summer reading, let me make one suggestion that I have made before. If you have never taken a class in immunology- you will be way ahead of the pack if you pick up an easy-to-read intro to immunology book. I suggested "How the Immune System Works" by Lauren Sompayrac (medirect.com). Less than 150 pages, can be read in a week. So many students did and still do have trouble with concepts in immunology and when you mish-mash it into a full course load it gets tough. Unfortunately it will rear its ugly head in your 3rd section, which is Skin, Blood, and Lymph, just before the holidays and when everyone is in the holiday mood and not in the mood to study- you will get slammed with immunology. You will also get quite a bit of immunology in your very first section as well.
Just a word of advice...
and if I had to do it all over again...
:rolleyes:

DrSmiles:

Thanks, I'll probably check that book out closer to the start of school.

Anthony: I called the school and was also directed to Don Weaver. I left a message and sent an email, but received no reply. I'm pretty sure I figured out what they wanted us to order. Go to the website for the publisher (www.fadavis.com). They have the book by itself for like 33 bucks. The book and 2 audio cassettes is like 37 bucks and the book with the cd is like 44 bucks, or for three bucks more, you can get the book with both the tapes and the cd. Amazon's used section has that option too (go to amazon do a search for the book and click on all editions. The February 1999 edition is the one with everything).

Russell

Unless you've had the bare minimum science classes in undergrad, don't bother with the book. Let me tell you, uhs requires a LOT of books, 95% that NO ONE buys(I'm a second year). Save your money and have fun this summer. You'll be in the thick of it soon enough and you'll look back and wish you had relaxed more. Just my two cents

Don't buy any books. I'm a UHS 4th year.

Dr. Smiles: Maybe I'll check my local bookstore for that book and just read it there...but maybe that immunology book is a good idea too...since it might make things a bit easier. What about some anatomy books since the language is a little difficult...

WannabeDO: Thanks for the info. If I hear back from Don Weaver I'll post it here.

95% of books is a lot...I guess UHS gets a cut of the book profits...but what about for the board exams won't those books help as a reference? OR the review books do a good job, although I'm getting 2 years ahead of myself?

Thanks for the information,
Anthony

I cut and pasted a post I added from the 2007 thread. I would say not needing 95% of the books is a little high percentage-wise, I think the point was that there are a ton of books you really don't need to have. Except for the must-haves, which I listed below, I would wait until you start school to see which board review books you might like to use. You will probably find your style of studying will change once you start med school, and in fact, Don Weaver will tell you the same thing in orientation.

I don't really have a suggestion for anatomy. I wouldn't even start looking at it this summer because 1) there is just too much info, and you wouldn't know what to focus on for exams and boards, and 2) you will forget it by the time you start musculoskeletal in October anyway.
Here is the old post:

Regarding the book list...you will get a list about a month or so before starting school and let me give you a word of advice. You will not even need 1/2 of the books listed as REQUIRED. You will not have the time or luxury to read textbooks, they are used primarily as references or to clarify a point in lecture (which can easily be done in the library since they have a copy of all the texts).
Everyone makes the mistake in their first year of going hog-wild with buying all the books- I made that mistake and there are some REQUIRED texts I haven't even opened yet!
But if you really want to shop around, and also keep in mind that the 3rd years this fall will have a bunch of used texts to sell, here is a basic list of MUST HAVES:

*Moore-Dalley, Clinically Oriented Anatomy
*Grant's Anatomy Atlas OR Netters Anatomy Atlas
*You will NOT need an Anatomy Dissector (although they will try to make you think you will need it)- there are a ton of dissectors lying around the anatomy lab. Waste of money, don't buy one.
*Curran's Atlas of Histopathology (or any other path atlas)
*Berman's Histology Atlas (or any other good histo atlas)
*Baynes-Dominiczak Medical Biochemistry (or any other medical biochem book)
*Mosby's Exam to physical examination (the big one is expensive, but is a nice resource to have- the small one will be adequate though)
*Guyton- Text of Medical Physiology (or any other good physiology text- a lot of the review books are good and Costanzo has an excellent physio book)
*You will need a good immunology book: Lange Medical Immunology is what the school suggested, but it is really detailed.
If you haven't had immuno before I would check out "How the Immune System Works" by Sompayrac. It is less than 150 pages and is designed for med students, less detailed than a text, but more info than a review series. A lot of students struggle with immunology, it is a difficult subject to cram in with everything else and if I had to do it all over again I would have read this book just before starting school. Just a suggestion...
*You will need a microbiology book, but you don't really need a hard core micro book. Many students really like the review series for micro, especially Lippincott's, which has colored micro pictures.
*Pathology: you really don't need a path book, but Big Robbins is a nice book. UHS has one of the best path programs and Dr. Friedlander will give you lots to read! Plus his notes are on the web (pathguy.com). In fact if you don't already know this, many medical schools in the country use his web site- it is that good!

That is it. Unless any other UHSers can think of a book I forgot about. You will need a good EKG book, but you don't study cardio until next January (a lot of students picked up the EKG book and browsed through it over Christmas break- another easy read). Hope this helps.

I actually bought all the listed required texts and when I was moving to my third year site, I was amazed to see that the wrapping was still on all except netters, guyton, and robbins path. However, I could have got by with none of them and went to the library to look it up and saved my money. My advise buy first aid and don't freak out like I did and buy all the books. You will know someone who owns the books you need or can go to the library. BTW I scored 98th% on comlex and 246 on USMLE. Point being I'm not just a "get by" guy. Good Luck and congrats its a good school.

This whole debate really fried me last year, when I was an incoming 1st year.

My advice: take the advice (including mine) that you get on SDN with a grain of salt. My opinion differs from everyone else's. I would NEVER come on to a public forum and tell green-behind-the-ears 1st-year-to-be med students to not bother to buy any books. What is said here on SDN is not the bottom line consensus.

If you like to study from books, by all means, buy them. If not, don't. If you are confused by all of it and are getting frustrated, then don't do anything--wait until you get here.

Medical terminology is helpful. I didn't study it last summer. Take it lightly. If you want to study it and have $50 or $40 or whatever it costs, then buy the CD.

Dr. Smiles' book list is very good. I concur with the list. However, immuno was one of my strengths coming in, but physiology was a weakness. But guess what. I bought both books. I'm just different, I guess.

Good luck, once again.
M.:D

Every med student I have ever known has told me that most textbooks are only occaisionally used for reference, if even that. Im putting my money on lecture notes and review books like the "ridiculously simple" series.

To extrapolate even further, here at UHS you get piles and piles and piles of handouts/lecture notes. I didn't believe it till I saw it last year. It's hard to believe, but it's true. And yes, they are the primary source of material that is tested on. I'm studying them as we speak for our GI final tomorrow. And I have a few textbooks and board review books next to me just in case.

So, if you're not going to buy books, at least buy 3 ring binders! Honestly, you'll need maybe like 15 (2-3") if you plan on keeping your notes forever in binders -OR- do like one of my friends and get a file cabinet for all the notes you're "done with".

Best of luck and health,
M.

Members don't see this ad :)
WannabeDO, I got the ISBN number: 0803603959 for the medical terminology:A systems approach.

I like reading the books, but never had time in undergrad...unless it was for reference, but I guess since I live in CT. I'll just go to the library. Do you find that a lot of the students are using the books that are on reserve?

Thanks.
Anthony

Yes, using the books on reserve is a good idea. They let you check out reserve materials (books, cds, etc.) for 2 hours at a time; you can't take it out of the library though. There is a copy machine for $0.05 a copy. Old textbooks (i.e. biochem, phys, etc.) can be checked out for 2 weeks.

I checked out reserve stuff occasionally. Maybe the folks who study at the library could offer some input. 90% of the time I study @CT or in my apt; hence another reason I bought my own books.

M.:)

add.:

Stedman's Medical Dictionary is the book I probably used the most of all. I'd like to look into getting it for my handheld.

M.

OK i have to give my input too.....by the way Mary, you are putting off studying rather well!!!

I like to have textbooks. Number one, I am sure in the future I will need to reference something, and it will be faster to use the books than to try to go through my notes. Second, I am the type of person who likes to buy new stuff, so everytime I enter the bookstore, I get sucked into the vacuum of buying a new book.

For medical terminology that I took in undergrad, we had Taber's medical dictionary for our book. It is by far the best medical dictionary you can get. I like it better than Stedman's simply because it has more material.

I would take the advice from everyone else and not do a whole lot this summer. I didn't have histology, immunology, or embryology coming into med school, and yes those gave me the biggest problems, but I don't think I could have brought myself to study that stuff over the summer.

As far as the "must have" books, I concur with the list also. I would like to add that Clinical Micro Made Ridiculoulsy Simple is awesome as well as Lipponcott's Review for Biochem. I used those books alot this year. And if you are wanting some good concise books, buy the BRS series; esp physiology (I used this the entire second semester), Pathology, and Micro/Immunology. In addition, it might be a good idea to buy a few board review books to supplement your learning esp around finals. I used Step-Up (it is a systems based book) and First Aid for the boards and am getting ready to purchase Cracking the USMLE. Those are all good last minute reviews for the major concepts.

My bibles I used most religiously this year were Netter, Clinical Micro Made Simple, BRS Phys, and Step Up.

Well that is more than two cents, but I just wanted to add to the conversation

Relax and have a fun summer!!!!

-C

first time I have posted in ages, but thought I would jump in on this subject. Some regular UHS 2006 posters (not poster children, although we feel like it sometimes--- Dr Chris, MaryC, Dr Igor) will recognize me for my "Moore-Dalley, Netter's, Robbins"
permanent shoulder dysfunction that I have acquired.

This is just me, but if I had taken everyone's advice to not buy books, I would be up a creek. I like to study more than one lecture at one time and I study with 3 or 4 books open at once also. Dr Chris' list is right on. Get Big Mosby's to read for the big picture and to remind yourself why you're putting yourself through the rigor of the first 2 years.

p.s. Lange Microbiology/Immunology Review is awesome....kills 2 birds with one stone

no extra charge: for class of 2008 applicants coming to UHS take immunology, embryology, histology before you get here if you can.......

Nice to see you on the boards again Kevin!!

-C

I ordered that book, it cost 53.36 but it seems like it'll help. But all other sites are either on backorder or sold out. So FA Davis is the only website that has it.

Wolv,

It's not that bad and I'm definitely not implying that our instruction in these courses is poor......quite the contrary, I think it's excellent; I'm just saying it would help a lot.

My advice save $ buy only essential texts.

Mosby's Physical Exam (I have one if someone wants to buy it)

Netters (you'll need to for anatomy)

Review books First Aid for USMLE Step 1,Clinical Vingettes to go along with First Aid USMLE Step 1 (email me I have a set if you want to buy), Except OMT/ Blue Savares textbook on OMT.

And spend $300 and buy a Palm one with 5MCC, 5MPC, Stedmans Dictonary, etc on it you can use it in class (turn off the clicking sound see the sytem folder).

Just my 2cents
UHS 2003

Do they change editions of books every year? Except for the USMLE stuff? Is there a COMLEX I and II book around? Or do most students just use the USMLE Book?
Thanks,
Anthony

Most students use USMLE. To my knowledge, there aren't any COMLEX board revies books. The three I think are the best are:
First Aid, Step Up, and Cracking the USMLE

-C

Today, I got a list of what UHS Students are selling? They have some books that I have seen on your lists above like netters, mosby? It seems like at UHS you can buy whatever book you want that pertains to the different subjects? I always see different listings, even different editions? I'm not sure if this question seems redundant, but I'm starting to get confused about the buying of first year books? If its a systems approach, is it like the professors pick and choose certain chapters to look over and study? Also, could someone enlighten me on whether the edition of the books matter?
Anthony