UHS Icebreaker 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakooii723

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know who I'll be spending the next 4 years with at UHS. I'll start out by introducing myself..

I'm Rich from Philadelphia. I'm originally from NYC. I finished my undergrad in 99 at SUNY Binghamton. I'll be getting my Masters in Microbiology from Thomas Jefferson U this June. Any other East Coast people? Hopefully, I will make the most of the 2 months off before heading over there. I don't know where I'll be living at yet. I have to move halfway across the country now, I'm sure that'll be fun :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be going to Century Towers if I can't find any other options in the surrounding area. I stayed there for my interview and saw nothing wrong with it. But I keep reading a lot of negative about the place, what exactly is the problem there? Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting you all in August! :clap:

Rich :cool:

Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Rich,

I already introduced myself in the UHS Class of 2007 thread, but I think it might be a good idea to use this new thread for introductions only to keep it short and maneagable. So without further delay...

My name is Russell and I'm from Northern California. I did my undergraduate in chemistry at Sonoma State University and currently work in a comparative biochemistry lab (within a marine research facility) in Bodega Bay, CA (filming site for Hitchcock's The Birds. I have a 6 1/2 year old daughter and a 16 month old daughter. I am 25 years old and a scorpio:D. I am an avid Raiders fan, so being in KC I'll will feel like I'm in enemy territory (though I hear there's a strong Oakland contingency in KC). Well enough blabbing. How 'bout the rest of you people?

Russell

What is your credit card number and expiry date? :) Just kidding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey eveyone,
I forgot to introduce myself in the UHS2007 post. My name is Anthony and I went to the University of Michigan and am from Central NJ about 1 hour from NY and 1 1/2 from Philadelphia. I got a place at Century Towers since I hate driving in the morning before class and its convienient (study area with high speed access, small workout area, close to school, groups of UHS students to study with). I think many people are afraid of the area cause of the way it looks, but as long as you use common sense and walk in groups or be careful at night, its not so bad, but being from the East Coast near 2 big cities, it doesn't affect me much. I'm not planning jogging or walking in the area though...just school and sleeping. If I want to go buy food or go out, I'd drive to a safer area. Also, since the population is a lot of students a lot of the crazy people will stay away due to the satellite police/fire/EMT station below.
Anthony

Hey guys--
I am a first year at UHS (I am taking a break from studying for finals on tomorrow and Friday). so far, for the most part, everything is great!! The school really teaches you well and you learn an incredible amount of information!

One comment on living arrangements.......
I live in a place called the Pinnacle. It is located about one mile west and a little south of UHS. I have never had a trafffic problem and it is cheaper than Century Towers. I would really recommend it to anyone who wants to live close to school but not in CT.

If anyone ever has any questions, please feel free to email me. I will be more than happy to answer any questions about school, living, studying, books, etc

Congrats on your acceptance

-C

Hello future classmates~

My name is Brad, I will graduate this semester from the University of Missouri Kansas City (yup, I am a local) with a degree in chemistry. I have spent the last three years working as an ER tech and currently as an EKG tech. I also have been volunteering for a little over a year at the Kansas City Free Health Clinic. I love doing anything out doors and plan on doing a plethora of mountain biking this summer before starting class in august. I also will (hopefully) be spending two weeks this summer in Mauritania Africa on a medical mission. (Mauritania is an Arab nation so who knows what may happen) I really look forward to meeting all of you in the fall!!

BTW - it seems a lot of people have questions about living arangements so here is my 2 cents. After much shopping around I have decided to live at The Woods of Walnut Creek. They are rather large, nice, and they are having great specials on one bedrooms (sign a 15 month lease and get 2 months free)! Also if you are looking for two or three bedroom apartments I would definatly reccomend Aloha Bay ( they are right across the road from The Woods...) They were just built a little over a year ago so they are really nice. Both places are about 5 miles from campus and several UHS students live at either one. I hope this info helps.

Hi! Wow, thank you Rich for starting this introductory forum. What a great way to meet fellow students. Well, my name is Darci, and I am also a first year med student. I graduated from CSU, Sacramento with a BS in Biology. I am engaged to a fellow first year med student who will attend DMU. I have two cats and a dog, but I will only be taking one cat with me to share my apartment at Century Towers.
You know, I just watched the movie "Bend it like Beckham," and it made me start itching to play soccer again. I was wondering if anyone of you plays, and if there was a club or group of people at UHS who play. Granted, I am not as talented as I used to be, but I still love the game.

If you like Dorm life, and if you being 2 feet from where you're going to spend the vast majority of you life, then think about Century Towers.
If you want to have a little separation between school and real life, don't live so close. (my suggestion)
Some advice:
The area on Independence Ave and surrounding neighborhoods are GHETTO. Don't choose there. Unless of course you like hookers on meth.
The Pinnacle is super ghetto. Thugs are the norm; the med students are the exception. Bounty hunters go there all the time to pick up people and throw them in jail. And it smells like **** in the summer when the sewers clog up.
Living in North KC is ok. There are nice apts and everything you need, but there isn't much going on up north.
My suggestion: look for places near the City Market (downtown), or near Westport, or best yet, near the Plaza. At least these places will have nice restaurants and other attractions nearby. Plus, if you are going to be "going out" on the weekends, 99 out of 100 times it'll be South of the River (aka Plaza, Westport, downtown), not in North Kansas City (there's nothing to do there!). You might as well save yourself 20 minutes of driving each week and just live close to the cool places.
So many 1st years moved into CT b/c they didn't know any better, plus its convenient/close. Look at where the 2nd yrs and above live....that's where you want to be.
Congrats on getting accepted and good luck at UHS. It's great.

Russell,
You are correct, sir. I am Pradeesh's, docgeorge, fiance. You are a good detective. So what gave me away?

Originally posted by darci
Russell,
You are correct, sir. I am Pradeesh's, docgeorge, fiance. You are a good detective. So what gave me away?

Well, I knew he was from Sac, I knew that he had a fianc?e who was going to UHS and I knew that he was going to DMU. So I guessed. BTW, I live in Santa Rosa (not too far from you guys.) Perhaps we should get together sometime? I have friends in Sacramento who I've been meaning to visit. Maybe we could get together for lunch some weekend.

Russell

Originally posted by unregistered
If you like Dorm life, and if you being 2 feet from where you're going to spend the vast majority of you life, then think about Century Towers.
If you want to have a little separation between school and real life, don't live so close. (my suggestion)
Some advice:
The area on Independence Ave and surrounding neighborhoods are GHETTO. Don't choose there. Unless of course you like hookers on meth.
The Pinnacle is super ghetto. Thugs are the norm; the med students are the exception. Bounty hunters go there all the time to pick up people and throw them in jail. And it smells like **** in the summer when the sewers clog up.
Living in North KC is ok. There are nice apts and everything you need, but there isn't much going on up north.
My suggestion: look for places near the City Market (downtown), or near Westport, or best yet, near the Plaza. At least these places will have nice restaurants and other attractions nearby. Plus, if you are going to be "going out" on the weekends, 99 out of 100 times it'll be South of the River (aka Plaza, Westport, downtown), not in North Kansas City (there's nothing to do there!). You might as well save yourself 20 minutes of driving each week and just live close to the cool places.
So many 1st years moved into CT b/c they didn't know any better, plus its convenient/close. Look at where the 2nd yrs and above live....that's where you want to be.
Congrats on getting accepted and good luck at UHS. It's great.

Everything unregistered said is true. But he/she left out one importnat aspect, $$$ .

I would much rather live Downtown or on the Plaza than in North KC but that is where I found the best value , or space for the money. The (studio) loft I was looking at in the Downtown/Rivermarket are was $650 per month with no coverd or gated parking (this is important downtown)! And the one bedroom I was looking at on the Plaza was $800 per month! The apt I picked in North KC has much more square feet and a much lower price ($550 after special). I decided I would rather make the 20 min drive to go out and have an extra $100-200 per month to spend.

Russell,
How do you like Santa Rosa? Pradeesh and I would enjoy meeting you and your family. We both live near Sac State, but we can meet you anywhere. We even like to drive to the Bay area. Let us know.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi there rich,

it seems there are not many of us from the east coast going to uhs, which will be a novel experience for me-going to a school not on the atlantic. i am getting nervous, but am very excited. anyway, i am from baltimore and live in dc. i sent in my application and will be living at CT. take care.

Hi 2007

I live in Century Towers. The surrounding neighborhood is bad, but the locals keep their distance. I personally hate driving anywhere in rush hour traffic. I like being able to wake up at 7:30 and be in lecture on time at 8:00. People who live off campus have to get up much earlier.

My days fly by. I don't go out that much, because there's no money to do so. Otherwise, I would. :) Secondly, there isn't time to spare either. You'll probably be catching up on sleep in your spare time. Now, if I DO want to go out, I get in my car and go out. No big deal. It's nice to get out of here every now and then.

Living at Century Towers saves time and money, for those of you out there who don't really care where you live, etc.

I would live down by the plaza anyday, no doubt, but I didn't move my as* from Cleveland to go play at the plaza, I came to learn medicine.

So for those of you who don't have the $$ and are wondering where to live, the bottom line is:
someday soon when you're up till 3am trying to finish a 150 page journal article on asthma guidelines, you won't give a s*it what neighborhood you live in!

Enough from me about that! Good luck everybody and have a wonderful, wonderful summer! I know I will
:D :D :D

Caio,
M.

I live 2 blocks from the Plaza on Roanoke Parkway. I have a one bedroom with central a/c, a parking lot, laundry, free storage and I only pay $500/month. So you really can live for cheap by the Plaza, you just have to look. The area is really pretty too. Lots of big trees with shade and most of the older apartments have been upgraded in the area. This area is also only 6 miles from UHS. Century Towers (CT) might be convenient because it is close, but I like "getting away from it all" when I go home at the end of the day. It really all depends on what you want. And one more word of caution: I know of several 1st years living in CT that are unhappy and moving out this year. I don't live there so I really don't know what their story is, but it is worth looking into before you get signed up with a lease.

Uh, my name is David. Im from Texas. Im a pisces. I like gourmet cooking, long walks in the park, curling up by the fireplace........Ooops, wrong website.

I guess I'll be joining y'all in the fall. Someone on the thread was talking about maybe playing some soccer. I race bikes in the spring, but I'll totally play some soccer in the fall and winter.

Looks like I'll be in the Tower, unless I can find a roomate for one of those sweet lofts near the plaza.

Originally posted by daveyboy
Uh, my name is David. Im from Texas. Im a pisces. I like gourmet cooking, long walks in the park, curling up by the fireplace........Ooops, wrong website.

I guess I'll be joining y'all in the fall. Someone on the thread was talking about maybe playing some soccer. I race bikes in the spring, but I'll totally play some soccer in the fall and winter.

Looks like I'll be in the Tower, unless I can find a roomate for one of those sweet lofts near the plaza.

Congrats on your acceptance!!! See you in the fall.

Originally posted by daveyboy
. I race bikes in the spring, but I'll totally play some soccer in the fall and winter.

daveboy~

gongrats on your acceptance!

do you race road or mountain bikes?? this is my first year on the MTB scene (I started in feb) and I plan on doing a plethora of biking this spring and summer! there are several nice places to bike in KC and the surrounding area. when will you be arriving here?

Good, a classmate that races bikes!!! Im primarily a roadie, although I can ride mtb. However, I tend to shy away from mtb races b/c my road license dictates that I race expert mtn.

My man, we are going to a wonderful place for bike racing. Cyclocross nats were in Kansas City (KS or MO Im not sure on that), and there is a TON of sanctioned racing there. I saw those crazy Belgium-esque shatter-the-pack-into-pieces hills and I felt a lump in my gut. Definitely a good city to train in. We have Spinners in the gym and a full squat rack too.

I'll be in KC by about August 5th. We'll do some rides. You can email me at [email protected] if you want to talk racing/training.

newfocus-

Just noticed you are in KC, which means definitely you know how great it is for cycling. Oops.

Daveyboy,
Hey! How long have you been playing soccer? I haven't played outdoor in a long time, but I played indoor two summers ago. My foot-work skills aren't that great, but I am a natural defensive player. In terms of cycling, I have my own spinner, so I will have to see you in the CT gym for weightlifting.
See ya'.
darci

I played one summer for fun, on a co-ed team. I have no ball handling/footwork skills whatsoever. :laugh: I can run up and down the field really well and thats it, but I really enjoy the game. Basically, I am a total detriment to any team I play on.

I always liked Spinning b/c the lack of a freewheel develops good pedal stroke, but it is hard to get positioned just right. The school gym has a few Spinners, BTW.