UHS Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just realized I made my last post under ankur's screen name. oh well, im sure you figured it out.

brad

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I really admire the work ethics of your mitochondria. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
you do not have to worry about your parking permit for the first week. you will be given permits free of charge, so dont worry about your car getting towed, but you may have to worry about your car getting broken into. that did happen a few times last year.....good luck with your first week of school! one day left!

Hi all,

Well, my wife and I got into town on Friday but were too beat to go out. Last night was spent unpacking.

Is anyone going out for one last hoorah before orientation tomorrow? If so, I'm down.

lemme know.

Later,

Russell

How was everyone's first day? I thought it went by pretty well although it felt like an eternity.

Anthony

anyone knows what is the closest grocery store to CT?

There's a Price Chopper about 3 miles down on Independence.. right turn onto Independence when you are coming out of CT parking lot. There's another smaller one before that.

There's also one on NW Barry Road off I-29, that one is a new one and a lot of CT students drive there currently to buy food.
Anthony

I heard the Foundation of Medicine is VERY hard. Does anyone know about it or anyone ready for it?

I think as long as you keep up with all the lectures and don't get behind, you'll be fine fine. FOM is suppose to be the easiest section since it levels the field for all the students with different educational backgrounds.
Anthony

I guess I will include my 2 cents--
FOM is the most diverse section you will encounter your first year. It lis sort of like grad school in six weeks. You get a lot thrown at you....but don't dispair.....it will get better and more interesting!!

You get a hodge-podge of info, basically stuff that really doesn't fit anywhere else in the year.

Don't sweat it.........just listen in lecture, keep up with your reading and you will be fine.

Email me or post for any further questions/concerns!

Chris

Members don't see this ad :)
We fell off the page...so I'm going to put us on top...how's everyone doing?
Anthony

Sup guys, I had a blast with you all Last night! Keep it up Docs!

Nice bump Wolverine! Almost has the feeling of robbing a deep "pop fly" just as it's about the crest the fence. (little baseball jargon there) Hope all is well with everyone . . . I'll be glad to see FOM get phagocytosed!

peace, John

Hey,
Good Luck with the FOM final too...it doesn't seem as bad as I thought...I actually remember most of the things and understand things more than for the quizzes.

Anthony

FOM is dead, and Im drunk!!!!:clap:

Congrats on finishing your first section first years!! Now the real fun begins!!

If you ever need anything, just holler!!

Chris

I think I'll drink again tonight!:clap:

Why did they put SBL right in the middle of the holiday season...+pissed+
This is how tired I am about doing 1000 quizbank questions...although its nice to have the final right in front of you...
Just thought I'd bump this up since no one cares about SDN anymore

Hey guys - I haven't been back to SDN since classes started in August. It is nice to finally put a face with a name.

Just wanted to say hello and that it has been great getting to know the class of 2007!

Daveyboy and Raidernation (i think that is the right user names) - it has been fun! Daveyboy - maybe someday when the temps are above 45 I will give you a run for your money on the bike!

See you in class:)

Originally posted by apass
Hey guys - I haven't been back to SDN since classes started in August. It is nice to finally put a face with a name.

Just wanted to say hello and that it has been great getting to know the class of 2007!

Daveyboy and Raidernation (i think that is the right user names) - it has been fun! Daveyboy - maybe someday when the temps are above 45 I will give you a run for your money on the bike!

It's actually WannabeDO, but I do stick out like a sore thumb with my raiders garb in this town full of chef fans (bleagh:p)

Russell

I guess we're only 24 pages . . . for some reason I thought we had over 10,000.

kidding . . .

Originally posted by apass

Training in the cold is fun, really. But I am really looking forward to riding with you at the end of April :D When I show up to lecture Monday morning missing the tips of my fingers you can say "I told you so".

Originally posted by daveyboy
Training in the cold is fun, really. But I am really looking forward to riding with you at the end of April :D When I show up to lecture Monday morning missing the tips of my fingers you can say "I told you so".

I would never say I told you soo - YOU GO GET EM!!! I will be running through the winter - it was hard to get my butt out the door tonight.

By the way this is for Russell - ahhhh the chiefs - I can't stand seeing Vermeil win - it drives me CRAZY!!

i need sleep -
think about it guys - after tomorrow only 7 days of classes left- 7 days of new material and then our two finals and then that's right BREAK!!!:)

see you in the morning:)

Originally posted by jbear
I guess we're only 24 pages . . . for some reason I thought we had over 10,000.

kidding . . .

WE HAVE SOME WORK TO DO!!

We have alot of pages to catch up on:)

im going to be part of the classof 2008 at uhs. Does anyone have any opinions on where to live. Im looking at ct, pinnacle and walnut tower. any suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Originally posted by osteo emt
im going to be part of the classof 2008 at uhs. Does anyone have any opinions on where to live. Im looking at ct, pinnacle and walnut tower. any suggestions or comments are much appreciated.

Get a studio loft downtown, around 12th street. You will be 5-10 minutes from school, have a great place, and pay the same as CT. You will also have a refuge from med school.

For places to live other than CT:
A lot of students live up north and seem to like it, except that the traffic can get kind of hairy.
Check out Roanoke Parkway (this is a street, not an apartment complex!). Right off the plaza and the rent runs about $530 or so. All of the apartments in the area are the old traditional brick buildings, most of which have hardwood floors.
My apartment will be available next August 1st since I am doing rotations out of state. I pay about $500, 2 blocks from the plaza, hardwood floors, it's quiet, free parking and central air conditioning (a must have!).
I live 6 miles from school, so it is close enough but far enough to get away. Traffic is never a problem either, like it is for the folks up north.

north of the river and you will have to leave for an 8:00 class at like 7:15 sometimes. othewise houses are nice there, i almost bought one. plaze is very nice, could be expensive. maybe pm me when you get closer i may have a room in my house that might be available for 400, 5-7 minutes backroad no traffic. ct is most convenient but drama laden and stuffy at times when you want to escape the madness. good luck, john

Have a good break everyone...we're 1/4 of the way through all the classwork...
Anthony

Peoples, we're slacking here. Thought I'd give us a bump.

lub dub . . . lub dub . . . lub dub . . .

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D

beeeeeeeeeeeeeep _______________________________

I try to spend an hour a day on each lecture from that day. Then I try to spend about 8-12 hours or so on the weekend going over the stuff from that week. So that would make it about 72 hours a week if I'm staying on top of things. Some people spend a lot more time, others spend much less. You will find your place in the class (gradewise) and hover there. You will learn what works for you and what doesn't. It is all what you make it.

Russell

i agree with Russel. In a perfect world you would spend 8 hours a day (average) in class and lab, and then review each lecture at night for 30-60 minutes per lecture (4 lectures a day) depending on the difficulty. = 12 hours/day on average

some don't go to class and as a result have more time to study. However, not going to class often times means that it takes longer to review the lecture since you missed the "key points" and might even find yourself learning things that the instructor said "don't worry about." It can be a catch 22 and no matter how you cut it, it's 72 hours per week.

In my world . . . (not so perfect) I get behind and then end up using the weekends to get caught up. That means 6-8 hours studying on non-test weekends, and 10-12 hours on test weekends.

Like Russel said, once you find your place in the class it's hard to move up no matter how much you work.

You will find out soon enough.

8a-12p is lecture and the afternoon labs generally keep you until 4 or 5pm. Generally there will be one afternoon/week off, two if you are lucky. 2-4 hours per night studying is typical. Weekends with no quiz the following Monday require 4-6 hours/day, before a quiz is more like 10 hours.

Some do more, some do less. It is tough, but very doable.

The absolute best thing you can do now is not think about it. Let me know if I can help you out with anything regarding the school, so long as it doesn't require anything more than me giving flippant, possibly detrimental, advice:p .

Don't ever listen to WannabeDO or jbear!!! They are both very bad seeds. VERY BAD SEEDS!!!!!!:scared: :scared: :wow:

Unfortuneatly Dave's right . . . one time while landscaping my lawn I got overly tired and fell into the ground. If I hadn't grown into a dirtly old weed, nobody would have plucked me back into this world. Thanks Dave, for choosing to collect weeds, so I have another chance at landscaping. :)

Just kidding :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Wow, this procrastination has got to stop. Back to cardio-
besides, we better stop or we're going to scare this guy away

Like any long marathon, the pack starts off together (referencing our bell curve grading system) and there is not much that separates the first guy from the last guy (referencing width of the standard deviation, which will determine whether or not you make an A ~.75 of one standard dev. above the mean, or whether you make a C ~anything below .75 of one standard dev. below the mean)

In the first section and even the second section, everybody experiments with how they want to study. Lot's of verticle movement seems to occur here with people going from A's to C's and vica verca. Into later sections those who made A's early on will continue to improve their study habits, those who learn how to study better (i.e. Everbody) will all improve at a relative rate. So, gettting back to the Marathon . . . at mile marker 8 or 9 the once pack is now a long strand of people single file. In order to move up, that means somebody else has to move down, and the fluctuation of the first section is long since gone. I-O-W; if you work harder one week because the work load seemed light, that means everybody felt a lighter work load . . . yada yada . . .

Don't get me wrong, it's always possible to do better, but more often than not you will hear the echo's of people saying "I thought I rocked that, or I thought I failed that, and I still got what I always get.

That's at least my take on it, of course it is way more complex with phycological components and so-forth, but at least this will give you some basic insight.

jbear is absolutely correct on making the grade!
It is interesting because you will find out that no matter how much you study you pretty much rank the same. If one exam seems a bit easier, you probably didn't blow it away because everyone else will think it seemed easier too. Same with harder exams. There were times in my first year where I thought I bombed a test, but so did everyone else. You will find that your first year is all about learning how to study and in your second year you are making better use of your time. I actually have more time in my second year than I did in my first year, which is good, since we have boards to worry about in a couple
of months. :eek:

Hey, where can we get chicken pox booster shots in KC? preferably free?

For vaccines you should ask any of the FP's that are our professors. They can either do it, or put you in touch with somebody who can. They will probably do it for a discounted fee out of professional courtesy.

Free? What does that mean?

Free? ... If its free its for me :)

Hey how'd you guys like ERF's sound effects today? That was hilarious.

"Lub Dub errrrr, Lub Dub errrrr..."
"sssshhhhh dub, sssshhhhh dub..."
"Lub err dub..."
"Lub dub shooo..."
"Lub shtub, lub shtub"

There is no free lunch. Nothing is free.

Erf is always entertaining.

My favorite was the spoof on Ed-Aplasia. :)

So glad that I choose UHS. Geesh what would path be like without ERF? I mean honestly... A WHOLE LOT MORE UNINTERESTING!

Are ya'll going to follies?