UHS Admissions help/advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_messenger

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, congrats on your acceptances. I am still trying to get in, however, and would very much appreciate some help/advice.

I know a lot about UHS and very much so want to go there, so now I am planning out my strategy for admissions.

I have a 3.16gpa from university of missouri rolla in electrical engineering. my science gpa is a 3.25. I am taking the MCAT in april and going by the aamc tests i have taken i should get around a 9-10 on each section of the test.

I am just looking to see what you think they like to see in their matriculating class, things that stand out, what they put emphasis on, timing of applications, etc.

Any and ALL help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

any help??? please?????? i know that there are lots of you out there.... thanks..

DO_Messenger~

It seems like you are on the right path. your gpa is a little low but it looks like your MCAT will make up for that. What I liked about UHS though is that it is not just a numbers game. Sure it plays a part, but they are really looking for a well rounded highly motivated person. what kind of clinical experrience do you have? what kind of leadership skills did you develop at UMR? I would really highlight those things. also, do you have a rec letter from a DO? that alone gives you several "bonus points" in the UHS admissions process (along with the clinical experience and the EC's). are you applying for the calss of 2007? if so, have you already turned in you secondary?

DO_messenger,

A few things/words of advice from a current MS1:

1) I would echo much of what newfocus said about what UHS is looking for in interviewees. Your overall GPA is a bit low, but your science is OK, so that's a good thing-- & don't sweat not being a bio or chem major as long as you have the requirements (including Biochem & Genetics). Many of my classmates had majors outside of the sciences (or entire careers unrelated to medicine) and their experiences have only served to diversify and strengthen our class.

2) 9-10 on each section of the MCAT would have made you a competitive applicant in the 2006 class, so I think this is a reasonable goal.

3) If you really want UHS, I would suggest applying early & following up on all correspondence so you can get a fairly early interview (before Chrismas, although not essential). Here was how my timeline went: AACOMAS submitted in September, MCAT in October (August score release), secondary back to them by early December, interviewed in Feb., accepted March 1. Most of my classmates report that this is about how it went for them also, shifted a few months earlier or later depending on different situations.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me or drop an e-mail: [email protected]

~Hillary