PM&R with below average Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patelr.93

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As most of you all know Step 2 scores came out earlier this week. Turns out I didn't do as well as I wanted. Thought I would come on here and see if anyone had a similar experience and was successful in matching PM&R. My current plan is to apply broadly to PM&R and also be dual applying with IM. I'll put my stats below. Thanks!

Preclinical: No Fails or repeats
Step1/Level1: Pass, 1 attempt
Research: MS thesis in bioengineering and undergrad in ultrasound drug delivery, medical school research in urology. 3 pubs, with 2 first authors
Volunteering: food bank, hospital, school free clinic, (I can work on this month as I'm on an academic medicine rotation)
Clinical years: No failures, HP all core rotations except honors in OBGYN, and Ortho Surg.
Evals: nothing bad, good ones OBGYN, IM, FM, PMR elective, Ortho Surg
Letters: FM, PMR, and OBGYN
Step2: 224, Level 2: waiting
4th year auditions/electives: IU PMR, Marianjoy PMR, and University Hosptial Cleveland PMR

Members don't see this ad.

Matched median S2 is 238. Unmatched median is 230. So your S2 score hurts you. You have a 63% chance I would guess based on the 2022 charting outcome.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah my plan was to apply broadly to programs that I was within the 25-50% or matched step 2ck from residency explorer but also going to apply to community IM programs too.

Members don't see this ad :)
In 2022 17/27 DO’s matched with a step2 score in the range of 220-230. Now the overall match rate into PM&R was higher in 2023 than 2022 for DO’s, so if you get an application cycle like 2023 it might be better. Your individual chances depends on the rest of your app, how you perform on audition rotations, where you apply, and how you interview. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
In 2022 17/27 DO’s matched with a step2 score in the range of 220-230. Now the overall match rate into PM&R was higher in 2023 than 2022 for DO’s, so if you get an application cycle like 2023 it might be better. Your individual chances depends on the rest of your app, how you perform on audition rotations, where you apply, and how you interview. Good luck!
That seems like the consensus according to the attending in the PM&R forum too. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 user