Uhcop 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Lone Kendoka

congratulations on your acceptance. But if you don't mind me asking how did you get accepted with a 69-PCAT ? Did you have a very high gpa?

I'm asking because my PCAT score is similar to yours 64% ,but I didn't even get an interview.
Hey poptropica!

Hope you're doing well! :)

Thanks for your greeting!

You're right ~ my PCAT-69 score sucks! I would have re-taken it but would not have made it to the pharmacy schools' deadline this cycle. So, I told myself what the heck ~ I'll just go ahead apply and hopefully interview to get valuable experience for next cycle. Meanwhile, I was planning to re-take it during the summer where I'll have more time to dedicate hopefully with a better PCAT result and overall stats.

Oh, BTW, I also interviewed with UT, TX Tech and TX A&M.
...although I have not heard from them ~ I'm thinking it's probably because of my PCAT and perhaps my interview results, who knows?

My GPA: 3.68.
It'd have been much higher but my business certificate courses lowered it down last summer.

I'll tell you what ~ Modesty aside, I'm speculating I was able to effectively showcase my good character through my extra-curricular and community service activities in the application form plus in the essays for the other pharmacy schools. I must say I put in a lot of hard work in making sure my apps were thorough and well-thought out.

Also, my LORs were excellent but none of them really coming from big wig positions or titles from the pharmacy world. I didn't really have that much experience and exposure in the pharmacy setting. All that time, I've just been trying to fulfill the pre-reqs ~ in my third year of undergrad. If I already had a B.S., I probably would try my luck in applying for a dual degree.

If there's anything I would like to impart ~ if you can show the admissions committee your genuine enthusiasm and passion for a career in pharmacy, in paper (app) and/or in person (interview) I really do believe it will bode well for you,.

I will tell you though and this may sound a bit corny ~ throughout all this stressful experience, I am very grateful, blessed and indeed very lucky in my first try, especially with one of my top choice schools! Someone Higher Up must have a mission waiting for me to fulfill.

Guess what ~ yours must be lurking around the corner soon! Just be steadfast and truly believe in yourself.

Take it from a late bloomer like me who was always overshadowed by an overly-achieving year-older brother growing up. We're tight though! He's starting med school this Fall 2010, too!

Good Luck, poptropica ~ I'm rooting for you!!! :-D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey poptropica!

Hope you're doing well! :)

Thanks for your greeting!

You're right ~ my PCAT-69 score sucks! I would have re-taken it but would not have made it to the pharmacy schools' deadline this cycle. So, I told myself what the heck ~ I'll just go ahead apply and hopefully interview to get valuable experience for next cycle. Meanwhile, I was planning to re-take it during the summer where I'll have more time to dedicate hopefully with a better PCAT result and overall stats.

Oh, BTW, I also interviewed with UT, TX Tech and TX A&M.
...although I have not heard from them ~ I'm thinking it's probably because of my PCAT and perhaps my interview results, who knows?

My GPA: 3.68.
It'd have been much higher but my business certificate courses lowered it down last summer.

I'll tell you what ~ Modesty aside, I'm speculating I was able to effectively showcase my good character through my extra-curricular and community service activities in the application form plus in the essays for the other pharmacy schools. I must say I put in a lot of hard work in making sure my apps were thorough and well-thought out.

Also, my LORs were excellent but none of them really coming from big wig positions or titles from the pharmacy world. I didn't really have that much experience and exposure in the pharmacy setting. All that time, I've just been trying to fulfill the pre-reqs ~ in my third year of undergrad. If I already had a B.S., I probably would try my luck in applying for a dual degree.

If there's anything I would like to impart ~ if you can show the admissions committee your genuine enthusiasm and passion for a career in pharmacy, in paper (app) and/or in person (interview) I really do believe it will bode well for you,.

I will tell you though and this may sound a bit corny ~ throughout all this stressful experience, I am very grateful, blessed and indeed very lucky in my first try, especially with one of my top choice schools! Someone Higher Up must have a mission waiting for me to fulfill.

Guess what ~ yours must be lurking around the corner soon! Just be steadfast and truly believe in yourself.

Take it from a late bloomer like me who was always overshadowed by an overly-achieving year-older brother growing up. We're tight though! He's starting med school this Fall 2010, too!

Good Luck, poptropica ~ I'm rooting for you!!! :-D

Congratulations!! you sound like you deserve it! My interview was the week after yours so hopefully I'll be hearing somewhat soon :xf:

Hey hardtofindaname, quick question for you, if you don't mind me asking. When did you hear that you were on the waitlist last year? I received the letter of being waitlisted on March 11th as well and have VERY supportive friends that are constantly telling me that I will get in. I am just trying to see whether being wait-listed at this point still keep me in the game? or chances are that by mid-march...plenty of people are on that list as well above me so I shouldn't get my hopes up too high lol. Thank you very much.

Being on the waitlist is different from being tabled. I didn't find out where I was on the waitlist until June. They tell you your number and then periodically send emails that say how many people have been accepted from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your words are sweet Lone Kendoka. Yeah I hope and pray that I get in next year, well see.....

Does anyone know the schedule for first year students? I heard lectures are from 1-5 pm, but what is SKILLS, and when is it?

Congratulations!! you sound like you deserve it! My interview was the week after yours so hopefully I'll be hearing somewhat soon :xf:
Hi MB41!

Thanks for your kind words.

Wow! All those schools!

You've worked very hard and I've no doubt you'll be successful!

I really do hope you get in into your top choice schools!

You deserve it!

GOOD LUCK X 5!!! :-D

Does anyone know the schedule for first year students? I heard lectures are from 1-5 pm, but what is SKILLS, and when is it?

First semester lectures are from 1-4, M-Th. Skills labs are maybe 4-5 times the whole semester and are in the mornings. It mainly involves learning to counsel patients. An online class called Calculations is also included in Skills.

Second semester lectures are from 1-4or5 depending on the day, and again M-Th. Skills lab during this semester consists of Functional Group Analysis (intro to Med Chem), PCCA (compounding lab), Case studies for Organs, and Computer labs. Labs usually are about 2-3 times a week almost every week.

Hope this answered your questions! Feel free to ask if you have any more. :)

The email they sent out said classes are mon-fri 1-5 so I guess they changed it :/

The email they sent out said classes are mon-fri 1-5 so I guess they changed it :/

They very well may have changed it. Just wait until it's time to register for classes, which should be sometime in mid-late April. They'll send out the schedule then and you'll know for sure :)

I just got an interview invite today for late april. Just wanted to let those know who are wondering if interview invitations are still being sent out.

I just got an interview invite today for late april. Just wanted to let those know who are wondering if interview invitations are still being sent out.
I'm going to send them an email this weekend to cancel my interview for 4-16. Hopefully someone else will be able to get my interview spot.

Does anyone know if UH has the option to take classes in the summer and finish the PharmD program faster?

Does anyone know if UH has the option to take classes in the summer and finish the PharmD program faster?

There is no way to finish you pharmD at UH any faster than 4 years. You can take classes your first summer, but this just makes your work load less in the summer after your second year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Plan on it being Mon-Fri 1-5, last year they changed it so that first year students didn't have class on friday. It is all about how they can schedule the classes. But it most likely will not be 1-5 everyday. some days might be shorter.

FPHarmDPPT: What date in late April is that, mind if I ask?
Thanks!

Hey guys! Do tabled letters get emailed or snail mailed? Just wondering!

Anyone hear from the 3/12 interview yet? I imagine based on other interview dates we might hear this week? :xf:

Hello LSUCPhT,

Tabled responses are sent out through mail as in turtle mail. I believe acceptances are sent out through e-mail. Good luck to ya! :)

Has anyone found out when the orientation for P1s will be? I've looked around on that orientation website they sent us, but I didn't see any dates.

Has anyone found out when the orientation for P1s will be? I've looked around on that orientation website they sent us, but I didn't see any dates.

It's August 17th-20th, then normal classes start on the 23rd. That should be in the main document within your acceptance email, the one with all of the instructions.
I knew I knew it lol. I had to search a bit and try and remember where I saw that.

Does anyone know at this point whether there are more or are invited to interview dates beyond April 23?

Does anyone know at this point whether there are more or are invited to interview dates beyond April 23?

Last Year I interviewed April 24 and there was one interview date after that. I don't know about this year but I would guess that it is similar.

I got a "tabled" letter in the mail today from UH. Does anyone know how long they could take to get back to me again? Gah it's so stressful still not knowing!!! I can only pray and hope that I get in!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: It's better than being denied, that's for sure!

Interviewed 3/12, fyi.

I got a "tabled" letter in the mail today from UH. Does anyone know how long they could take to get back to me again? Gah it's so stressful still not knowing!!! I can only pray and hope that I get in!!! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: It's better than being denied, that's for sure!

Interviewed 3/12, fyi.

I interviewed 2/26, got tabled, and haven't heard anything from them since.

I was interviewed on 2/26 also...tabled. Havn't heard anything....:confused:

has anyone else heard anything from the 3/12 interview? :confused:

I was "tabled" from the 3/12 interview. Got the letter yesterday.:scared:

Yeah, I got the letter yesterday too after I asked that. I am tabled. How many people go from tabled to accepted? I'm feeling a little discouraged by it...

yeah, I'm not too happy about being tabled...I don't know how many people they accept after being tabled, but my hopes are not too high at this point...

HeartandSoul, I am on the same boat as you, as I too interviewed at UH on 2/26 and received the tabled letter that was dated March 11. People that were interviewed after us (2/26) are being tabled as well and received the letter within this past, meaning that the previous tabled individuals should have been already reviewed as well. Do they send rejection letters along with the tabled letters? or are they sent on separate days? Because I still haven't received another tabled letter this past week, I will just keep my hopes up haha. Also I don't think any email were sent out this past Friday, as it was good Friday, so to everyone on the same boat as me keep your hopes alive!

HeartandSoul, I am on the same boat as you, as I too interviewed at UH on 2/26 and received the tabled letter that was dated March 11. People that were interviewed after us (2/26) are being tabled as well and received the letter within this past, meaning that the previous tabled individuals should have been already reviewed as well. Do they send rejection letters along with the tabled letters? or are they sent on separate days? Because I still haven't received another tabled letter this past week, I will just keep my hopes up haha. Also I don't think any email were sent out this past Friday, as it was good Friday, so to everyone on the same boat as me keep your hopes alive!

I don't believe they keep sending out tabled letters to confirm you are still tabled if that is what you are implying. If you get something else in your mailbox it's probably going to be a rejection or wait list letter (not sure when the wait list is made or how you are notified...). So check your email with a smile and check your mail with a frown lol.

Hey guys, Im giving up my spot at UH! Good luck to all of y'all!

1). Houston! I've lived here all my life and I really like it. I'm so used to the big city and the suburbs. I'm the type of person who likes to go out and do different things and Houston provides that for me. There are so many things to do in Houston and so many places to go. I really love it here :)

2). Diversity! Within your class alone you will have people from different backgrounds with different experiences in life. Some may be older, others younger. Some with families and children and others will not. Some will be from the area, others from across the nation or overseas! It's so great getting to know your classmates on a personal level. You really do become the best of friends and one big family.

3). Amazing people! I really can't say enough about the students at UHCOP. I love them so much! Coming into pharmacy school, I was short, shy, and had little friends. Now, I'm still short BUT I've got tons of friends and even more confidence! My friends at UHCOP have always been there to support me in whatever I do and have been there for me during the good, the bad, and everything in between. If I miss a class, they lend me their notes. If I don't understand a topic in class, they take the time to help me get it right. When I want to run for a position in an organization, they are there to support and encourage me. They are my best friends and my second family. I truly love these guys and without them, I wouldn't have made it this far in the program.

4). Organizations! Probably one of the best things about UHCOP is the organizations. You have SO MANY opportunities to get involved in organizations and expand your knowledge and scope of our profession, all while making new friends, networking with potential employers, and giving back to your community. I have been so fortunate to be a part of so many great organizations not only as a member but also as a leader and I can honestly say that without them, I would not be the person I am today. I have gained SO MUCH knowledge and experience from these organizations and have had so many opportunities to do great things because of them. They are what keep me sane in pharmacy school!

5). Texas Medical Center! The best healthcare resource in the nation. I mean seriously... you will never find anything like this at any other school. Gives me a chance to work with medical professions from every field. The cool thing is, if you are involved in organization at UHCOP, you will have to opportunity to meet pharmacists that currently work in various aspects of pharmacy! Many of these individuals currently work in the Medical Center and if you take the time to reach out to them, it will prove beneficial to your future! Just by attending some of their guest lectures at our organizational meetings, I've learned more about pharmacy and the ENDLESS opportunities that it has to provide than I would have ever known.

6). Highest Pass Rate on the Naplex in Texas! We're one of the top in the nation and #1 in Texas. Naplex is an important part of your future. In order to get your license, you have to pass this exam. UH prepares students well by assessing their retention every year through the milemarker. Though these milemarkers may be difficult, they do an AMAZING job of assessing your retention. After the exam, you are given feedback on how you did in each section of the exam so you will see what areas you did well on and what areas you may need to go back and brush up on. Plus, all the material in pharmacy school builds up on top of each other. So often times things will get reinforced and this is great for helping glue the information to your brain :)

There is SO MUCH MORE that I wish I could write about but I've got to study for next week's exams. If anyone has anything else to add, please do so :) Hope this helps!

Hey, you seem quite knowledgeable, how does the summer school work with uh cause I have been accepted to tech and will inteerview on 23rd of april with uh so trying to figure out curriculum wise more about uh.

Hey, you seem quite knowledgeable, how does the summer school work with uh cause I have been accepted to tech and will inteerview on 23rd of april with uh so trying to figure out curriculum wise more about uh.

As I recall, Tech doesn't have summer school for the first two years right? But I believe you're loaded up on classes during the school year to compensate.

As for UH, the summer after your P1 year, you don't have classes. You are given the opportunity to interview for a intern position at a retail company through the school which is pretty neat but space is limited for the intern positions.

The summer after your P2 year is divided up into 3 blocks. In one block, you have to do a 4 week community pharmacy (retail) rotation at a pharmacy through the school, where you'll be a intern under a preceptor and pretty much work 40 hours a week for 4 weeks. In an entirely different block (cannot do it in the same block), you have to take classes for 4 weeks. Usually, students will take the 3-day immunization course at the beginning of summer to have it count as a one of the 3 courses you have to take. Then they will take their other 2 courses in whatever block they wish (Note: only the immunization course is 3-days. The other courses generally span 4 weeks). And lastly, you have the choice of taking your a block off. You pretty much get to choose the way you want it set up. For instance, I will have my community rotation block first, then my classes in the next block, and my third block off at the end of the summer. You can choose whichever way you want it pretty much.

The summer after your P3 year, you will begin rotations and they will last you until about the end of March. Then you're done :)

Hey guys

Sorry to sound like a noob, but can someone explain the difference between waitlist and tabled? Thx

Hey guys

Sorry to sound like a noob, but can someone explain the difference between waitlist and tabled? Thx

Sure, tabled is where they defer their decision so they can compare you to the upcoming interview applicants. You can get accepted anytime after being tabled. Usually, if you do not get accepted after being tabled you will be waitlisted.

Waitlisted is where all the seats for the class are taken but they have a list of people on reserve (the waitlist) so if anyone in the class decides to go to a different school or something then the people on the waitlist can get the seat. You'll get a rank on the waitlist (1 being the best) to determine in which order they take people off the waitlist.

Hope that clears the confusion up. Good luck!

Some wait list emails went out yesterday morning. it said that the class is full but that "every year some students will cancel after being selected."

I'm wondering if the class is full with those who have already paid the deposit?
OR
Is it full based on a mix of those who have recently been accepted (and still have time to pay deposits) along with those who have paid already?

Thanks.

Some wait list emails went out yesterday morning. it said that the class is full but that "every year some students will cancel after being selected."

I'm wondering if the class is full with those who have already paid the deposit?
OR
Is it full based on a mix of those who have recently been accepted (and still have time to pay deposits) along with those who have paid already?

Thanks.

well that is a little depressing that the class is full

Wow...The class is full and yet they are still holding interviews until the end of April...whats the point? Are they interviewing in order to receive a waitlist spot? How depressing. I've been tabled for about a month, so I guess I just need to hope I am accepted into my second choice.

OR

Thanks.

Pharmdplz, who did you hear that information from? Like from UH admissions committee, or a friend of your who received it, or did you receive it? The reason I ask is because just like what HeartandSoul mentioned, if the class itself was already full, there really doesn't seem to be a point in interviewing more candidates.

Could a P1 or higher that is familiar with the admissions process also comment on the topic of waitlist letters being sent already? I was assuming that individuals that were tabled would be the first to receive the letters of being waitlisted or denied.

Pharmdplz, who did you hear that information from? Like from UH admissions committee, or a friend of your who received it, or did you receive it? The reason I ask is because just like what HeartandSoul mentioned, if the class itself was already full, there really doesn't seem to be a point in interviewing more candidates.

Could a P1 or higher that is familiar with the admissions process also comment on the topic of waitlist letters being sent already? I was assuming that individuals that were tabled would be the first to receive the letters of being waitlisted or denied.

Well said. I was wondering all of the same.:thumbup: I am getting very nervous and anxious. :scared::eek::confused::xf:

NinjaSquirrel,

I received an email saying,
"Currently the fall 2010 class at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy is full. However, our experience shows us that some students will cancel after being selected. Therefore, the Admissions Committee creates an alternate or wait list. Your ranking on that list is number ______."

The email goes on to say that once someone declines acceptance the next person on the list is accepted.

I'm really sorry if this discourages anyone, particularly, those who still have scheduled interviews.

The only other fact I can share is that a friend of mine received the same letter on the same day who interviewed near the end of February while I interviewed around the middle of March. This person was "tabled." I never received a "tabled" letter and, instead, went straight onto the wait list.

I hate to speculate as it usually doesn't make anyone feel better, however, I can only reason that those who still have a scheduled interview date are fighting for:
-a spot on the wait list which may be higher or lower than mine. OR
-an empty seat in the "full" class that is reserved to be competed for among those with an upcoming interview.

I really do hate to speculate.

To those with upcoming interviews: IGNORE EVERYTHING DISCOURAGING AND DO YOUR BEST KNOWING THAT THIS IS A VERY COMPETITIVE PROCESS.

Last edited:
Hmm...they havn't sent me a denial or waitlist letter. I wish they would make up their minds. Either way it looks like I'm going to end up at TSU in the fall...(if they accept me) :scared:

NinjaSquirrel,

I received an email saying,
"Currently the fall 2010 class at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy is full. However, our experience shows us that some students will cancel after being selected. Therefore, the Admissions Committee creates an alternate or wait list. Your ranking on that list is number ______."

The email goes on to say that once someone declines acceptance the next person on the list is accepted.

I'm really sorry if this discourages anyone, particularly, those who still have scheduled interviews.

The only other fact I can share is that a friend of mine received the same letter on the same day who interviewed near the end of February while I interviewed around the middle of March. This person was "tabled." I never received a "tabled" letter and, instead, went straight onto the wait list.

I hate to speculate as it usually doesn't make anyone feel better, however, I can only reason that those who still have a scheduled interview date are fighting for:
-a spot on the wait list which may be higher or lower than mine. OR
-an empty seat in the "full" class that is reserved to be competed for among those with an upcoming interview.

I really do hate to speculate.

To those with upcoming interviews: IGNORE EVERYTHING DISCOURAGING AND DO YOUR BEST KNOWING THAT THIS IS A VERY COMPETITIVE PROCESS.

I got the same letter and I'm really disappointed.
"Currently the fall 2010 class at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy is full." I read this and I was like WTH, they filled the class this early!!!!

Just wondering those people that got accepted to UH pharmacy school, what kind of extracurricular activities does the school look for? Do you have to be some kind of officer of some club to stand out or what else in terms of EC is good.

I got the same letter and I'm really disappointed.
"Currently the fall 2010 class at the University of Houston College of Pharmacy is full." I read this and I was like WTH, they filled the class this early!!!!

I got a letter today that said they have accepted 5 people from the waiting list so far..................I am a little more hopeful now:)

Ha! I still havn't received a denial or waitlist letter. I was tabled the first week of March. I guess they forgot :confused: