UF/UCF online - finished all my prereqs and want to be a psych major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApolloMD

Reaction score
I have two associates degrees from a small state school - one in biology and one in psychology. My biology associates degree has covered all of my prerequisites for med school and I would personally prefer to be a psychology major.

I live in Georgia, but have just been accepted into the University of Florida’s online bachelors of psychology and the University of Central Florida online bachelors of psychology. Either one will take me 2 years to finish. I’m not that far away from being certified as a paramedic, so I was planning to finish out a psychology undergrad degree while working as a paramedic, volunteering, shadowing, and the like. I’m a nontraditional student and really need to work a job that provides enough income to pay the bills.

With that being said I have completed all of my labs in person and every pre-requisite in person. Would it kill me to finish out my degree at one of these universities online while I spend the next two years doing other things to improve my application?

Members don't see this ad.

You got an associates - so does that mean you did your pre-reqs at a 4 year school or a community college?

Many med schools either frown upon or down right don’t accept CC credits. We’re all the pre-req classes taken in person or were some online?

As for the online psych degree it’s 100% not an option if you’re interested in attending med school. The vast majority of med schools do not consider online classes as acceptable substitutes for a real degree.

I'd reach out to your state's medical school and ask what their actual requirements are. They may technically accept an online degree if all required coursework is in person.

With this being said it is important to realize your academic accomplishments will be viewed as subpar if not perfect. My experience is that in-person 4 year university >>>>>>>>>> than CC/ Online. Coming from large research university it was common knowledge community college coursework was far easier, as was online coursework. You'd be ranked and viewed as a less academically competitive applicant than someone else who got the exact same grades going to UCF/UF in person.